Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CryingCypress71
Oct 15, 2018
Good Afternoon Goons!

Background: US guy working with a Canadian Film Crew. Not a "traditional" production manager, transitioned to film from theatre

I have a producer who is bugging me to get a Carnet for our equipment that is going from Canada to the US.
Their Claim is that it would save us from having to pay duty on the equipment when we come back into Canada.

We work with a sports and entertainment company and are shooting run-and-gun style, the heftiest cameras we have in our kit are Canon C200s

The total value of our gear crossing the border, split among two video teams is about 35k per team, meaning the down payment on the Carnet is around 15k if we pay a Cash deposit. I am working on pricing out a bond

My question here is: Have any of you guys, particularly run-n-gun shooters, ever had issues crossing borders? What is the worst-case scenario here?

I appreciate the assist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Might need an explainer on "carnet"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

sebmojo posted:

Might need an explainer on "carnet"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATA_Carnet

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

Goods covered by the ATA CarnetEdit

ATA Carnets cover the usual and unusual: computers, repair tools, photographic and film equipment, musical instruments, industrial machinery, vehicles, jewellery, clothing, medical appliances, aircraft, race horses, art work, prehistoric relics, ballet costumes and rock group sound systems. ATA Carnets do not cover perishable or consumable items, or goods for processing or repair.[38]
Most common uses include but not limited to:

exhibitions and fairs

professional equipment

Looks a sensible precaution imo. Customs can be giant dicks. Maybe ask in The Dorkroom though, you'll probably get more camera peeps there..

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 5, 2020

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Probably old news now and likely cancelled anyhow but we ship a lot of similar things around the world for work, primarliy for trade shows and exhibitions. (Do I even have a job anymore? Who knows). We've found that as long as you're meticulous on creating a commercial invoice and making sure to get all of your HTS codes correct you are going to be fine with standard shipping.

We've used carnets in the past and they've worked ok but there are issues if the return shipment is different to the one you sent. As long as all of your gear is going there and all of the same gear is going back the carnet can work well.

Aargh fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 25, 2020