Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Aww, got to the 7th match and barely lost it because my opponent got really lucky on his "summon random unit" cards before any of my murder-yetis came up.

Yetis are a fun deck, I'm running a modified Freljord/Demacia starter deck for my "play daily matches" until I can get enough loot to build a proper murder-yeti deck for free play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

It's honestly taking me a while to learn all the little nuances about when to attack vs play more cards (which opens your opponent to playing more) and when certain spells will fire in what order.

I guess one thing that feels weird about this game is it just flat out will not go long enough for you to draw through your deck, maybe there's more card draw in some of the other regions but I played a lot of Pokemon TCG online and my decks in that game were generally based around forced drawing until I got the things I needed to get the deck's win condition going. In this one it's like, you're going to see half your deck, if that, so you have to have multiple win cons in there. Or maybe I'm overthinking it?

I do know getting screwed on the initial hand/redraw is very brutal in this game compared to most of the other TCGs I've played.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Honestly the only card I dislike is the "Kill a unit" card in shadow isles. 7 spell mana is really cheap for what you can get out of that card. You can play around most of the other bullshit in spider decks by either not killing units or not letting your important units drop below 4 HP, and even ionia's recall spam at least gives you the card back to play again so it's not a complete loss, but Kill a Unit is like "welp."

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Put together my first actual "meta" deck (Braum/Zed in an Ionia Elusives rush-down) and it's really effective. Only real losses I've had come from Hecarim/Ephemeral spam which if you don't get your card draw ninjas early enough it loses to.

Being able to rotate buffs or card draws with the "Recall a unit to summon" dude is super gross and I don't think it's possible to have a bad early game with this thing. What's also nice the the champions are essentially there to bait high cost cards from the enemy because you absolutely don't need them to win.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Some commentary after a lot of play today:

I do think there's a balance issue if 90% of the people I'm running into are X-ionia or X-shadow isles, it's one thing for a sub to be good but I played for most of the day and saw exactly one person running a PZ (Jinx) deck (I actually lost to it but only because I was a complete idiot with my mana in the last round, I'd have beat it next turn if I'd saved mana for a deny instead of playing a follower.)

Shadow Isles is probably just too strong in general, most of the decks out there right now are SI with a splash of something else. Shadow Isles also has like a LOT of variations, I'd go so far as to say there's more viable SI variations than viable decks in the rest of the factions put together at the moment. I'm sure this will change quickly as people play more and develop new strategies but it's pretty bad right now.

Ionia's low level cards are good with basically any other faction and they've got Deny (you can play around it but it's extremely useful anyways) so it just pairs into anything. Not as dumb as SI but if we see nerfs to SI i think everyone's going to run sub Ionia which is going to be really boring.

I really don't understand why they made Elise shadow isles and all the spiders noxus, it means you can't use the spider champion with a good portion of spider decks. This is silly. The Demacian Dawn dudes are also flatly better than her to run in a spider deck which seems wrong.

That said Dawnspiders is pretty hard countered by challenger, which I've been seeing a lot of, so I'm not surprised that one is falling out of favor. Won against it more than I've lost but it's always a tightrope walk. Elusives are good at avoiding triggering the kill condition but the deck is full of self-kill moves so there's only so much you can prevent.

I think my favorite outside the meta deck I ran into today was a dude running a solo Demacia deck who had a frankly terrifying front line of dudes based on allegiance buffs, I won against that one but extremely barely and only because I managed to get a lucky 'clone your buffed elusive x2' draw in the turn before he would have smoked me.

Final thought: I've got a huge case of "Their team's Zed / Your team's Zed" where I find it difficult to prevent enemy Zeds from taking over games but if I play Zed he is absolutely going to lose me the game if I invest a single goddamn resource into him. I'm honestly considering dropping him from the deck because I think he's loving cursed.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 28, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

They probably need to tone down Draven's animation spam it's a little obnoxious. His voice lines are very good though.

I saw more P/Z get played today! Including an excellent Jinx/Draven combo that had a hilarious finish where I died exactly to a double 3-to-anything on my nexus plus a super-mega-death rocket. I couldn't even be mad at that one, it was too good.

Been seeing a lot more variations of the Elusive deck, the Noxus variant was pretty interesting, using direct nexus damage and kill-under-three-power spells to disrupt my early rushdown. Also saw that mono-Demacia again and won again. Started to lose several in a row due to people just spamming Challengers into everything so I copied someone who beat me using the barrier+lifesteal burst spell to counter-counter the challengers, then started winning again.

It's fun to watch the meta develop itself and swap things up as you figure out what's being played! I was not good enough at card games to do this when Hearthstone launched (and honestly I don't like Blizzard's Warcraft IP so it's something I couldn't get into long term.)

e: Oh I wanted to add that I think you guys are right that Shadow Isles decks are cheap to build and that's probably why we're seeing so many. The bottleneck right now is definitely champion cards, I wanted to try a Yasuo deck but I've only got one Yasuo and I'm a little scared to spend my only champion cards on the other two copies.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 29, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Found an interesting interaction that cost me a match today, if you put a frostbitten zed into combat and buff him with attack power so he can still fight, the clone will spawn with frostbite and not get the buff you applied to him! [Sad Poro Sticker]

Oh another interesting interaction that didn't cost me a match but was a total facepalm: Silencing a unit that has detained your unit and then killing it does NOT give you your unit back! It's just vanished into the ether. (I had originally hoped silence would return the unit, silly me.)

mistaya fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 29, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Studio posted:

Was the buff a burst spell, a combat buff, or a fast spell?

Burst, the +8+4 Freljord one. To be clear on order of operations I was frostbitten on the bench, then set up the attackers, then cast the buff, then hit attack and let the shadow spawn assuming it'd have the boosted stats. Maybe if I had done it from the bench it'd have worked? I'm not certain when the shadows snapshot.

Actually thinking about it I read the text on the shadow and it read -8 (frostbitten) (zed would have been 12/x with the buff since he had a +1 from a mentor) so maybe it spawns the shadow, then applies the debuff? In which case it did apply the buff card, and only the buff card, and then RE-frostbit him. This seems like a funky interaction that might need to be reported to the devs.

dudeness posted:

If it's intended then I'm gonna capture enemies and silence my own guys hehehehe

This may be actual genius. Are there other silences besides Purify?

mistaya fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 29, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Looks like those are the only two so far. Mageseeker Investigator is enemy follower only, but Purify is any follower. Detain is also in Demacia of course so that combo is very available if you want to try it out.

Silence can probably combo very nicely with some of the cheap, overstatted Ephemerals in SI since it removes Ephemeral from your unit (SI and Ionia also have cards that do this.)

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Monathin posted:

The problem with the Detain/Purify strat as interesting as that interaction is ain a vaccuum is that you're essentially committing 7 mana over two cards to remove a piece from the board. It's literally less cost-effective than Vengeance is pretty much every way and that's probably intentional.

e: if Detain was slightly cheaper, maybe at 3 or 4 (3 is absolutely overkill, mind), then this would be a fine strat because you're essentially trading hand advantage for the ability to spare a couple extra mana that you might need that turn. But it's literally exactly on par with Vengeance in Mana Cost but requires you commit an extra step to it, which makes it ultimately way worse.

e2: Yeah just doing a think on that, I think to make that combo a viable alternative to Vengeance you would need to reduce total combo cost to 5 instead of 7, which means you're either pushing Purify to a 1-mana spell/Detain to a 4 mana spell or Detain to a 3-mana spell, and I don't think either would be good for the health of the game.

This is definitely true but because it IS split over two cards you don't need to play the purify (which is a burst spell) until the unit holding the detainee is threatened with lethal, it essentially becomes denial for someone who's overplaying to get the card you stole back. And Purify's only two mana so it's a pretty efficient denial.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Curious how high people have climbed in rank so far, I managed to get silver yesterday, but today was kind of a stalled day. I ran into too many mirrors and didn't win enough of them to advance. Not sure if I should try a counter-deck or stick with it but mirrors are pretty boring with Elusive rushdown since it's mainly won by whoever gets the right starting hand/first couple draws.

Also I got my Ionian champion capsule thing and of course it was a third ZED instead of a Karma or Yasuo.

ZEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!! :argh:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

What is making the elusive decks cry? I like playing them but they're so common right now I know I'd win a lot more if I had a counter-deck.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

After going even in another 8 or so games with Freljord/Ionia elusives I decided to hit up Swim's stuff and stole the Noxus aggro deck here and it's really good! Turns out Can't Block units are overstatted and it doesn't matter if they can't block when your opponent is running Elusives anyways! So just fuckin murder their nexus or make them trade their handbuffed units into yours to prevent you from murdering their nexus. Works even better than challenger, to be honest. Also the deck is fast as poo poo even into spiders and I've been stomping all over SI with it.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The thing I noticed while playing elusives myself was that they do take a few rounds to get going since you need to cycle the recall ninja/mentors to get your hand buffs online and it's very, very punishable if you have cards that an elusive deck does not want to have to block before they get enough mana to come online. It's a fast deck but it's NOT a round four kill deck the way Noxus can be. SI's Cursed Keepers, Sharks, Butchers, and Unliving dudes can also gently caress an elusive deck up BADLY if you get any of them online in the first 3 rounds.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 30, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

There are a distinct lack of cards that manipulate the enemy hand, I wonder if that's going to be something you see in one of the un-released regions. (Things like, you and the enemy both discard your hands and redraw three, or stealing a card from the enemy hand, or forcing the enemy to discard a card.) It would certainly help with some of the SI spam-draw tactics if you could cull the enemy hand once it gets completely out of control.

e: now that I think about it I'd bet that's going to be a thing for Bilgewater since there is absolutely NO chance they don't put Twisted Fate in. Some nasty 9 mana "you both discard your entire hand" slow spell.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 31, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yeah I just looked at the starter deck since I hadn't deleted it and it's B A D.

If you're just starting I'd highly recommend taking the Demacia/Freljord basic deck and trying it out, then try swapping a few cards into it that you think will be good after every couple rounds. Braum and other Challenger-keyword cards are great for stopping Elusive spam, for example. Tryndamere is also a game-winner card on his own if you happen to draw him in the mid-late game. Alternatively if you want to try building a good deck check out this guy's youtube. He's one of the current meta-definers so people are copying his decks a lot. He has links to lots of different decks in his comments too, and he updates daily.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Managed to make gold today! :toot: Immediately seem to have hit a brick wall though. Half (or more) of people I'm playing against are running Noxus Spiders now and it wrecks both of the decks I've built, (Noxus no block rush and Elusive aggro) I have 90% of a Noxus Spider deck myself but I'm losing most mirrors because I don't have enough of the Epic SI cards to really support it. Nor do I actually want to buy them because I don't really like SI.

Bit stumped, maybe Freljord frostbite? But I don't have any Ashes, sigh.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

You do not lose anything in Iron, once you get to bronze you do lose progress if you lose games and you can level down within a "metal" bracket, (from say, 3 to 4) there is some forgiveness though (you have to lose more than once at 0/empty bar to de-level.) I don't know if you can derank down from like Gold to Silver or whatever though.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

This is the funniest loving thing I have ever or may ever do in this game. I have poo poo and all for defenders and it's round 9, Karma is on the board. I have two mystic shots and a get excited in hand. He will kill me if he just attacks when the round starts. I wait, silent and patient. Round ends. Karma gives me another mystic shot for her end of round and then flips to x2 spell casts. I wait. He puts out all his men. They will destroy me.

I place
one
two
three mystic shots
and a get excited.

Jinx yells "EVERYBODY GOES BOOM!"

Props to the poor bastard for letting the whole cycle go off instead of surrendering it and depriving me of watching it happen. Tryndamere murders my nexus as soon as the stack resolves but it is TOO LATE! I HAVE WON!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Karma's much better with P/Z since their spells have direct damage or card draw elements. Double Progress Day is hi-la-ri-ous.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I mean Ledros could just lose any one of his gimmicks (either it doesn't kill at one nexus health, he's not fearsome, or he doesn't last breath) and he'd probably be perfectly fine. As is he's just too strong in a region that has too good of an early game to have that good of a late game.

Make black spear deal 2 damage OR cost 3 mana and SI is mostly fixed, though. I think that's the card that's single-handedly making a ton of champions (and therefore entire decks) impossible to play. I've gotten used to playing around deny mana, I think 3 mana is a fair gate for gently caress-you spells. 2 mana is too low.

e: Also didn't they nerf Kinkou Lifestealer? That might be why Elusive is losing steam, the card was very important to elusive decks.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

A good player will always lead with their overwhelm if lifesteal is on the board to prevent it from having a chance of mattering, except in the case of "getting Darius to level up mid combat".

I was doing some thinking in bed last night and I wonder if the reason SI feels stupid is because of the empty block mechanic. Right now if you play a 10/10 Demacian rear end in a top hat an enemy SI deck can drop a 1/1 spider in the way, then KILL that spider with Glimpse and get two cards, and your 10/10 rear end in a top hat will do nothing. If combat-trick killing your own blocker removed them as a blocker, Glimpse would not be nearly as powerful and SI in general would have to make decisions about unit suicide where in the current game it's basically never wrong to kill something that was going to die anyways. (This also makes Recall more of a decision for Ionia as a bonus.)

Basically a lot of SI's cards are costing 'kill a unit to activate' as if it was an actual penalty, when in the current game it's basically free to do as SI has so many suicide-cards, they're cheap, AND they're combat tricks.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 5, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I'm really tempted to try for Ezreal but of course my Pilty champ capsule had Heimer. Not that he's bad, but I don't really want to make a Heimer deck. Champions are such a huge cockblock on making decks. :sigh:

I'm currently running Mistwraith/Fearsomes and started actually making LP again after stalling for a couple days so that's nice at least. Elusives don't feel good to me anymore. Too many answers available. SI being so drat popular the hilarious thing is that SI spell cards are the only cheap blocks for SI spell cards. The best way in the game to cockblock a vile feast/glimpse is with your own vile feast/glimpse. But if I have to fight SI 90% of the time I guess I have to play the best counter. Which is SI. :downs:

Honestly I don't like it very much but if better decks are extremely champion dependant I don't really have a choice since I don't have many champions. My freebies/stuff from capsules have been Jinx, Teemo, 2xShen, Zed, Yasuo, Hecarim, Heimer, and Thresh. Having to run 2x Elise 1x Hecarim 1x Thresh in a deck that's supposed to be 3x Elise 3x Hecarim is somewhat trying, though I've have Thresh win me the game by Lanterning in the horse before so that's really funny. (Usually he pulls elise and she instantly dies which is less funny.)

I think if you did two things:
1- Make Vile Feast target enemy only
2- Make Glimpse slow

SI is fixed. Every single SI deck uses these cards, even decks who have no need to run spiders. They're being used to unlock 'on ally death' too cheaply and make chump blocking too good (as the blocker does not need to be alive when the attack round resolves, only have been placed in the block slot.) If you want to glimpse your spider, that spider should not also be able to block on that turn. The efficiency is just too high compared to any other region.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 6, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I'm running fearsome wraithcallers because it's bullshit and getting me out of gold. I'll say while Rhasa wins me games fairly regularly, I barely ever get to Ledros because I've won before round 8 or I need too much mana for spells to be able to risk dropping him. I do think he'd be fine if they took off any ONE of his keywords or raised his mana cost or his damage skill rounded down. He's a little stupid for a region as strong as SI is currently.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

guts and bolts posted:

I should probably at least try for Diamond, I'm just frustrated with the slog of how Platinum has been going. I was able to reliably just race up through the ranks until now, and now it's becoming Shadow Isles everywhere. Mistwraiths/Spiders aggro/Hecarim Ephemeral aggro mixed in with occasional splashes of Yasuo tempo/control concepts is basically my idea of Hell while trying to rank up, but once the second account also makes Platinum I basically won't have any excuse not to do it. I think I'm gonna build one last deck before I commit to hardcore ranking up, and I'm pretty sure it'll be Ashe/Demacian Challengers or some variation on Xixo's Ashe/Noxus control. Then I'll go back into the muck. :smith:

Yeah I feel you. I've said it before but the problem with SI is that the best counter to SI's spells ARE SI spells, so it's really hard to justify playing anything else right now. I've heard Fiora is gaining steam, though I don't have Demacia filled out enough to run her yet even if I had the champ cards.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I've silenced detainers and it eats your unit (did not have a full board.)

Fun thing someone just tossed me out of expedition with, if you use Dawn and Dusk on Anivia it spawns two ephemeral Anivias, which die, and then respawn as eggs, which turn into not-Ephemeral Anivias. So the next turn you have three Enlightened Anivas spamming 6 damage across your entire board and nexus.

That was sure a thing.

Also I got my third Shen out of Expedition because I get Shen out of expedition every single loving week but I guess at least I can't get him again.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yeah there's not really much else to say at the moment. Fearsome/Elusives make up like a good 75%+ of what's on the ladder, with a few Ezreal, Demacia Mono (or mostly mono) and Ashe decks thrown in. Meta is quite stale at the moment and I don't know if a monthly patch cycle is going to be enough to keep people interested which is a shame.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Lord_Magmar posted:

Once again, game is still in Beta and has maybe, 60% of the cards it's planning to release with based on what the devs have been communicating. Elusives and Fearsome are a problem right now but that's just teething issues. Hecarim, Ledros and Rhasa are possibly the only cards that outright need nerfs in Shadow Isles.

I agree with you, actually! It's just that a monthly patch cycle means this game isn't going to hold my attention once the meta crystallizes if this what that looks like. It's not like there's 0 variety right now (you can splash basically whatever you want with Fearsomes/Elusives and have some success,) but they play so similarly that every match against them (or AS them) feels the same, which makes the matches boring. It's way more fun to play into a Piltover deck because at least that will do something different.

E: I think I just find SI's wincons very dull, really, so feeling forced to play it sucks.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 15, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Studio posted:

I think if the game gets a little slower, Karma is going to immediately become a top tier pick. Once you start playing more for value instead of mid-range, being able to rummage and draw 4 cards for 1 mana, or buff any unit out of direct damage death, is going to be crazy good.

Lmao at Enlightened Karma casting two Winter Breath's

I'm pretty sure it's the only way to get the double winter's breath board wipe. Gotten it in Expedition once and it definitely won me that round. Karma's also incredibly gross with the "Heal 7" card (x2). I really, really want to play a Karma deck, I think she's my favorite champ card, but I haven't gotten any of her yet. :( I'd love to run Ashe which is also real fun and thinky in how you play the frostbites but haven't gotten any of her either. (Or Ezreal which would probably be my third choice.)

If I get a third Teemo I think I'm going to go full cancer-deck and to hell with it.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Thresh leveling up mid-combat and lanterning in a Hecarim (who then spawns riders) to finish the enemy nexus on the turn before you get crushed is really quite funny.

Also I tested Purify last night in a game was severely losing anyways, it absolutely deletes your detained unit even if you have an empty board. Also you cannot Purify Kalista's bond-buff +2 off an enemy.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

You can reroll into a 1500, it's just random if you do or not. I mostly use my rerolls on like, "play decks you straight up do not have" though.

DrOgreface posted:

Just picked this up and finished the tutorial, played some pvp with the starter Noxus SI deck. Is there a good cheap deck to work towards/regions I should level up first for a brand new account? I’ve played years of Hearthstone and have hit legend a bunch of times so I have a reasonable understanding of card game basics. Rogue is my favorite class in HS. Should I just clear dailies and try to get 3 wins in pvp a day? And should I be rerolling 1k xp quests? Thanks!

There's going to be a balance patch on Tuesday that may shake up what's good so I'd just bank materials for a couple days and play the starter packs plus whatever you get for free from your level ups. Aim for lvl 8 with all regions once you unlock region rewards and you'll get enough materials to build whatever you'd like pretty quickly. The freljord deck is the best of the starter decks.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 17, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Mentor nerf was probably justified but that really does cut the legs out from under Elusive rushdown, since 2-removal is much easier to get in multiple decks. (Everyone except Demacia has 2-removal options)

I'm a little surprised they didn't do something about Hecarim (too good) or Kalista (terrible trash). They might be worried about making too many changes to any single region, going after wraithcaller, ledros, and rhasa was a decent amount.

Deny to 4 is going to be super interesting, makes Slow speed cards a lot less risky in general and I think frees up people to think about different splashes than Ionia.

Overall I think P/Z is going to be the major beneficiary of this and we're gonna see a lot more Ez and Heimer after tuesday.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Hecarim is at least blockable with trash blockers, which will be more viable since Wraithcaller won't be fearsome anymore.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

re: Ledros, didn't his skill already round up? I'm very confused about that. If it didn't why was it killing on 1hp? Also the absolute best answer to his stupid rear end is Purify and pretty much the main reason I swapped from SI-Ionia to SI-Demacia a few days ago was how stupidly good Purify is.

I had a game today go long and my opponent was sitting on attack token / 8 with no spell mana, thinking, and I was praying for him to drop the Ledros so I could finish developing my board, purify the ugly fucker, and win around him. He did, I did, it felt so good.

Blocking ledros with a spiderling is the best BM.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

You can juke the autopass anyways as long as you're quick about it.

Took a few days off to do FFXIV things, has meta changed much other than the Death of Elusives?

God I hate expeditions. I hate them. It's such a huge waste of time to play some total janky garbage for two hours until you hit "Triple Hecarim Dawn and Dusk" or some other janky rear end poo poo that if you were playing a real deck you could have stopped but because you're playing LITERAL GARBAGE you have no answer for. Even when it's YOUR janky garbage that wins when you really, absolutely shouldn't have it isn't fun.

I would literally NEVER play this mode willingly. EVER. But there's a huge loot pinata at the end of it so you have to try-hard and you have to do it TWICE because of course you do.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"You don't have to play the thing that can potentially give you several thousands of EXP and bonus rewards!" While technically correct, if you want to get more cards for constructed you also want to get as much EXP as possible to unlock the capsules. So if I want to have more fun in constructed, I feel obligated to play expedition even though I don't like it. If you do like it, congrats, I'm glad you like it.

I tried out the Spooky Karma swim has listed and I just don't get how to play it properly. It feels like your hand bricks off the opener half the time. What are you supposed to be mulliganing for in that deck?

mistaya fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 21, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I think I'm addicted to Thermo Beam, card is just so versatile and makes you think hard about how to best use it. With Deny at 4 it's a lot more usable now too. I was playing my Jinx deck earlier against an Ashe midrange deck and blasted all three of their Ashes straight to hell with all three of my Thermo Beams over the course of the game. :allears:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I think Progress Day really needs to come down to Fast speed. It would make the P/Z spell spam a little less overwhelming if there was a counter available. As is if Heimer or Ezreal get one Progress Day you are going to lose the game because they'll probably end up with multiples due to the cascade and just burst spell you to death.

Like, I don't think P/Z is broken at all, to be clear. But I do think you should be able to threaten Deny mana on a free 8/8 T-hex at least.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Well I finally won my first 7th game, after going 0 in my first draft. Basically Tryndamere is a really good finisher. Last fight was pretty intense, opponent detained both my deck-buffed Thresh AND my Tryndamere onto the same drat spider and was about to ruin me with a full horizontal board when I plopped a 9/9 They Who Endure and slapped a Battle Fury on it. Overwhelm! :black101:

Game offered me to trade out that single They Who Endure like five times and I always held onto it just in case. I actually refused all 5 final trades because everything I had just worked for once. (Basically a bunch of fearsome spiders and SI spells plus Thresh/Tryndamere.) Lanterning in double Tryndameres is really gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I feel that now things have settled this is a pretty solid meta. Few cards could use love taps but nothing is outright dominating and no region feels useless right now. Elusives still work just fine without being incredibly broken, SI is mostly reigned in at this point. I did a hard push to plat last night and saw huge variety in my opponent's decks. Feels good.