Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the Super Bowl?
This poll is closed.
Kansas City Chiefs 65 0.71%
San Francisco 49ers 42 0.46%
Goku 9016 98.52%
Lamar is the MVP 28 0.31%
Total: 9151 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

lmao just now saw the thread poll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Scoring too early is very much a thing. Especially in a position like the 49ers were in and who they were up against. You cannot rush to score a TD there. Yes, it is imperative that you try to score as late as possible or make KC use their timeouts. Even if that means a slightly less chance you will score. You CANNOT trust defenses.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Kawalimus posted:

Running would have had a better chance of beating him. I'm not sure why the 49ers didn't run more on their last offensive series. Teams are very foolish about how to use the clock to their advantage. The 49ers should know there that you need to score a TD and you want to score it LATE.

I’m not going to let a little thing like reality get in the way of ushering in the era of FUNslinging!

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

e.martin posted:

Should have been Shanahan.

aged badly

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Nate's brain is full of holes

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

YOU JUST DONT GET STATS HE SAID IMPROBABLE NOT IMPOSSIBLE OKAY

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Kawalimus posted:

Scoring too early is very much a thing. Especially in a position like the 49ers were in and who they were up against. You cannot rush to score a TD there. Yes, it is imperative that you try to score as late as possible or make KC use their timeouts. Even if that means a slightly less chance you will score. You CANNOT trust defenses.

Funny, KC trusted theirs

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Kawalimus posted:

lol

The Chiefs scored “too early” and left the 49ers like 3 minutes to win the game. Their defense came through just fine.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ehud posted:

lol

The Chiefs scored “too early” and left the 49ers like 3 minutes to win the game. Their defense came through just fine.

They weren't in a position to score that late and the 49ers were. I am talking from the position the 49ers were in when they had their last failed series. I realize it's not always possible to do that but when it is you have to try it especially when you are facing a QB who is currently eating you alive.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's almost like Jimmy G isn't actually that good when he doesn't have a nice clean pocket and an open first read :thunk:

Steve Spagnuolo must deserve a lot of credit, KC's front seven suddenly showed up in the fourth quarter and got all over Jimmy's rear end.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

take the points when they are there so you have time to score again if your defense lets one get by

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sour Diesel posted:

take the points when they are there so you have time to score again if your defense lets one get by

They wouldn't have had time to score again if they had scored and the Chiefs had.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I thought the Chiefs scored too early too but I also wasn’t very afraid of Jimmy G. After their first run gained like 20 yards...I was surprised they did not run again, they had over 2 minutes and all timeouts.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I hate the "too much time on the clock" thing. Trust your defense or you dont deserve to win anyway

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's almost like Jimmy G isn't actually that good when he doesn't have a nice clean pocket and an open first read :thunk:

Steve Spagnuolo must deserve a lot of credit, KC's front seven suddenly showed up in the fourth quarter and got all over Jimmy's rear end.

I officially downgraded Jimmy G to a rating of 0.75 Trubiskys on the Trubisky scale in the GDT.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

BGrifter posted:

I officially downgraded Jimmy G to a rating of 0.75 Trubiskys on the Trubisky scale in the GDT.

That means Trubisky QB on the 9ers wins this game today?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I mean, Trubisky is undefeated in Super Bowls. Jimmy G, on the other hand...

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Athanatos posted:

That means Trubisky QB on the 9ers wins this game today?

Experts are doubting that Trubisky himself in 2019/2020 earned a rating of 1.0 Trubiskys, so it’s uncertain.

We do know for a fact that Mahomes is at least a 3.75 Trubisky quarterback. You could even argue he’s the first 4.0 Trubisky quarterback in the league right now.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
As the #1 Mitchel Trubisky fan on these forums, I am enjoying where this is going.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I thought the Chiefs scored too early too but I also wasn’t very afraid of Jimmy G. After their first run gained like 20 yards...I was surprised they did not run again, they had over 2 minutes and all timeouts.

Well, they did get a false start right after that to push them to 1st and 15. Then they completed two passes in a row and picked up 24 yards. At that point they were under 2 minutes at midfield and needed a TD to win. They could have run the ball some but they were going to need to complete passes to win and just couldn't do it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

SHOAH NUFF posted:

https://twitter.com/willcain/status/1224177034269724673?s=21

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

All offensive coaches are the spiritual children of Mike Martz, no one will think you're a genius if you just run the ball over and over, and what's the use of winning if everyone doesn't know you're a genius?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

You have to pick one from each group of to be a part of your team in the Super Bowl. You lose, you die.

QB
Mitch Trubisky
Jared Goff

Coach
Bill Obrien
Kyle Shanahan

Who you got

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

How good is my offensive line

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Well, they did get a false start right after that to push them to 1st and 15. Then they completed two passes in a row and picked up 24 yards. At that point they were under 2 minutes at midfield and needed a TD to win. They could have run the ball some but they were going to need to complete passes to win and just couldn't do it.

2 minutes and all 3 timeouts with 50 yards to go? They definitely could have run a lot more.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Andy Reid Won A Superbowl.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

waah posted:

You have to pick one from each group of to be a part of your team in the Super Bowl. You lose, you die.

QB
Mitch Trubisky
Jared Goff

Coach
Bill Obrien
Kyle Shanahan

Who you got

Mitch and Kyle

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

To the tune of the 90s Dana Carvey Critic’s Choice comedy Special:

gently caress the forty niner’s,
gently caress the forty niner’s,
gently caress the forty niner’s
gently caress THE FORTY NINE-ERS

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah the Niners felt like they had a lot of time to do some runs, with around 2:45 left and timeouts.

Also, what’s the rule about delay of game on 4th down late in a game like that? Can the other team decline it? Can you get turned over on downs? Or time not run off? Otherwise a winning team could bleed off the remaining clock that way.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BGrifter posted:

Experts are doubting that Trubisky himself in 2019/2020 earned a rating of 1.0 Trubiskys, so it’s uncertain.

We do know for a fact that Mahomes is at least a 3.75 Trubisky quarterback. You could even argue he’s the first 4.0 Trubisky quarterback in the league right now.

Okay, on the Official Trubisky Scale, I’m gonna need ratings instead peak :manning:, Sexy Rexy, and Vinny Testaverde.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Congrats to Baker Mayfield, who has as many super bowl wins as Jimmy G!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Congrats to Baker Mayfield, who has as many super bowl wins as Jimmy G!

When did Baker Mayfield win two Super Bowls?

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
Quarterbacks who are 0-1 as a starter in Super Bowls:
Daryle Lamonica
Earl Morrall*
Joe Kapp
Billy Kilmer
Vince Ferragamo
Ron Jaworski
Ken Anderson
David Woodley
Dan Marino
Tony Eason
Boomer Esiason
Stan Humphries
Neil O'Donnell
Drew Bledsoe
Chris Chandler
Steve McNair
Kerry Collins
Rich Gannon
Jake Delhomme
Donovan McNabb
Matt Hasselbeck
Rex Grossman
Colin Kaepernick
Cam Newton
Matt Ryan
Jared Goff
Jimmy Garoppolo

Quarterbacks who are 1-0:
Joe Namath
Johnny Unitas*
Ken Stabler
Jim McMahon
Phil Simms
Doug Williams
Jeff Hostetler
Mark Rypien
Steve Young
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Joe Flacco
Nick Foles
Patrick Mahomes

* Morrall and Unitas both played snaps in SB III and V, but Morrall started III and Unitas started V.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

fartknocker posted:

Okay, on the Official Trubisky Scale, I’m gonna need ratings instead peak :manning:, Sexy Rexy, and Vinny Testaverde.

Personally I’m comfortable rating Manning in his prime at a full 4.0 Trubiskys, but a 3.75 isn’t out of the question. My heart says Sexy Rexy is a 4.0 Trubisky player but my eyes tell me he’s a 1.5 Trubisky at best. Testaverde just might be the mythical 1.0 Trubisky, maybe a 1.25?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That’s two time Super Bowl Champion Charlie Batch to you

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

solarjetman posted:

Quarterbacks who are 0-1 as a starter in Super Bowls:
Ron Jaworski

God bless Jaws for making it to a Super Bowl.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Why did the Chiefs take those style of victory kneel downs?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Why did the Chiefs take those style of victory kneel downs?

It looked weird as if they were taunting or something but they had to get it down to 6 seconds or so for that final play in order to not punt.

I mean they almost surely didn't actually have to up 2 scores, but that's the only way they didn't give the 49ers the ball back.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They were like ten seconds short of being able to actually kneel out the clock in 3 downs, so Mahomes killed 2 extra seconds with each one and then chucked an armpunt on 4th down to kill the last 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Kyle Shanahan, stupid idiot? I don't get why he didn't use timeouts at the end of the 2nd when they had 3 and like a minute + since their kicker is money, thier loving GM was on camera doing the TIMEOUT thing in the stands so I'm not the only one thinking Kyle maybe should have tried to get another 3 points at least, also lol @ using time outs when the game was impossible to win forcing the chiefs to do those extended kneel downs eating up the clock hahahah wtf lol