Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the Super Bowl?
This poll is closed.
Kansas City Chiefs 65 0.71%
San Francisco 49ers 42 0.46%
Goku 9016 98.52%
Lamar is the MVP 28 0.31%
Total: 9151 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

They don't usually play them in the north because the NFL are pussies.

After the incredible reporter whining about the Jacksonville superbowl, I demand the SB be on a rotation between Buffalo, Green Bay, Minnesotta and Jacksonville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/NFLResearch/status/1222210228302860289

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Patrick Spens posted:

Didn't Scarnecchia retire a few years ago only to get dragged back after New England's line went to poo poo? I swear I remember that happening.

Docjowles posted:

Yes, he retired in 2013 and returned in 2016 or something like that.

Losing his evil magic is gonna really suck

Yeah, he retired for the '14 and '15 seasons. 2014 was fine, they were average running the ball due to Steven Ridley / Shane Vereen not inspiring much confidence, but Brady was his normal self with a great receiving cast, so it was fine.

2015 though, the line collapsed and they couldn't run the ball, Edelman missed half the year with injuries and Brady just got the poo poo knocked out of him.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Was reminded of Logicblade's great QB ranking thread from the offseason (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891377&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1) and figured, what the heck, let's throw the 2019 season into his formula and see what we get.

So the idea is basically, figure out what the average points given up in the season are (22.8), and teams record when that happens league wide (win 25.7% of the time when you give up that many points, win 74.3% when giving up less), then compare that to each team's record (he was doing it by QB, but I'm lazy.)

To pick a random team:

Steelers went 8-8, they went 1-5 when giving up 23+ points, and 7-3 when giving up less:

(1+5) * 25.7% + (7+3) * 74.3% = 8.972 Expected wins

8 actual wins - 8.972 expected wins = -.972 Wins

pre:
          Actual          Expected wins  Difference  (QB Value)           
Saints		13		7.51		5.49
Seahawks	11		6.06		4.94
Packers		13		8.97		4.03
49ers		13		8.97		4.03
Ravens		14		10.43		3.57
Chiefs		12		8.49		3.51
Patriots	12		9.94		2.06
Texans		10		8.00		2.00
Vikings		10		8.97		1.03
Eagles		9		8.00		1.00
Buccaneers	7		6.06		0.94
Rams		9		8.49		0.51
Cardinals	5		4.83		0.17
Raiders		7		7.03		-0.03
Bills		10		10.43		-0.43
Titans		9		9.46		-0.46
Falcons		7		7.51		-0.51
Colts		7		7.51		-0.51
Cowboys		8		8.97		-0.97
Steelers	8		8.97		-0.97
Jets		7		8.00		-1.00
Browns		6		7.03		-1.03
Panthers	5		6.06		-1.06
Dolphins	5		6.06		-1.06
Broncos		7		8.49		-1.49
Jaguars		6		7.51		-1.51
Giants		4		5.57		-1.57
Bears		8		9.94		-1.94
Chargers	5		7.03		-2.03
Lions		3		5.80		-2.80
Washington	3		7.03		-4.03
Bengals		2		6.54		-4.54

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

The expected wins seem too normalized.

It's the fault of the formula. teams average 8 games above 22.8 points, and 8 below, and win 25% of the above, and 75% of the below, which ends up with that. Biggest spread is due to the Bills / Ravens only allowing 23+ 3 times each, while the Bengals were uh.... bad.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

I'm not too good with this kind of stuff, but what I gather is it's saying that a team that gives up more than 23 points and still wins, those wins can be attributed to QB value. Is that right? It doesn't seem to account for turnovers (or special teams), but I guess a defense giving up more than 23 points isn't likely also one getting many pick-sixes or returning fumbles for scores.

Yeah, Logic's thread was just trying to come up with a quick and dirty number he could apply across eras to compare every QB with more then like 80 starts.

I just remembered it and was like, hey let's throw in this year's numbers and see what it looks like.

The super short version is, if you give up 23 or less points, teams win about 75% of the time, and if they give up more then conversely, 25%. So QB value is how much more often then that does your team win. But yeah, it ignores a whole host of things like defensive scores, ST value, and garbage time scoring.

Also it assigns that value to the QB, when there's also the rest of the offense, and the coaching, but hey, quick and dirty.

I mean Dak isn't worth -1 wins, but Jason Garrett sure is.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Play posted:

At the Super Bowl press event someone asked Andy Reid about wearing a speedo, and I was just thinking what an amazing strategic power move that would be if he just shows up to the game like that. Andy Reid in a teeny tiny banana hammock would strike fear into the heart of any adversary

Rope where the only thing covering himself is the challenge flag.

Dare the refs to gently caress up.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Spoeank posted:

That reminds me: the Niners have a first round pick and don't pick again until round five :stonk:

And then you're gonna watch the first night of the draft and laugh when they just trade that #1 for a mid 2 and a 3.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Play posted:

I'd assume those numbers are over the course of decades, and in a very catholic area with lots of priests. Still though, that's insane. A single city with 59+ priestly abusers

If anyone wants to look up how many pedo priests their area has / had, Propublica published a searchable database:

https://projects.propublica.org/credibly-accused/

My small hometown had 20! :cool:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

gently caress the Saints.

This makes me want to commit felonies.

Well if you're looking to commit a specific class of them, they'll help you cover 'em up, you sicko.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The whitest thing you'll ever see

https://twitter.com/RzstProgramming/status/1223234804755419138

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

What really made Kobe have such a huge impact? Being the face of the league post Jordan as it moved to hd+LA? It's weird because I never thought of him as much more than a higher volume Reggie Miller and didn't pay much attention to the NBA between Jordan retiring in 98 and them getting Rose

The top basketball players are a brand and far, far more popular then any NFL player could hope to be.

He was the best player on the most famous team who won a bunch of championships over a 2 decade career.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That said, it definitely has completely overshadowed the superbowl hype, but that's also because the 2 week break completely kills the momentum and this happens every year.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Android Apocalypse posted:

Somewhere in New York, Adam Silver quietly smiles as the NBA overtakes the popular consciousness on the NFL's biggest weekend.

At the same time, the NBA's ratings are sinking and their salary cap is flatlining because of the revenue loss from that dude saying Hong Kong rules.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

For some reason those pictures made this achewood pop into my head, can't imagine why:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

OPOTY should never be a QB, so I'm glad for once they got that right.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Hasn't it traditionally been used as a consolation prize for not winning the MVP? If I'm right on that it makes sense since the MVP has been almost exclusively QB or RB other than LT, Alan Page and a couple of kickers.

Well a kicker/OT in the first year it was awarded because the old NFL was weird.

Sometimes the same person as MVP wins it, which is dumb, and sometimes they give it to the 2nd best QB which is also dumb.

MVP should be the QB award, OPOTY should be for the best skill guy.

Then make an award for best OL guy.

Also rename every award after players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The league provides funds for X rings, then the team owner can buy as many as he wants on top of that.

So yeah, he can give them to all the team employees, his chauffeur, his favorite handjob girl, Putin, you name it.