Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

so, because everyone on this website, (myself included), is the smartest person on this website, let's actively discuss what we thing could be done to improve the frontpage.

my thoughts on this are pretty simple, if i take over photoshop phriday as a feature, BFM can focus on other things, like bringing back goldmines, or, i don't know - whatever his drive is towards.

i've talked with some posters about ways they can help out, because really, most of us have a bit of time to post at least, and a bit of directed energy in photoshop or writing a more effort involved comedy concept INTENDED to be considered for the frontpage is a really good idea. these forums are filled with people a lot more skilled and talented than me, in every area i have proficiency.
the thing is i'm a beekeeper, it's winter, and i have very few responsibilities and obligations so i have more time than most to donate to this dead gay forum.

ANYWAYS:
what are your ideas? do you want to write for the frontpage? do you make videos or short films or any sort of artistic expression that has developed skills that can be applied to the fine art of comedy and shitpost?

thank you in advance for your time i love you goodbye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'll make the website

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Weedle posted:

I'll make the website

FINALLY

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

post the pigs huge balls often

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Photoshop Phridays are the best imo, because they do a good job at providing a whole range of creativity/humor styles from a bunch of different people each time around. I'm not sure of a specific idea off the top of my head, but other opportunities to draw contributions from lots of folks in the community would be great.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Heather Papps posted:

ANYWAYS:
what are your ideas? do you want to write for the frontpage? do you make videos or short films or any sort of artistic expression that has developed skills that can be applied to the fine art of comedy and shitpost?

Not sure how exactly but I could provide some help in that regard.
I work from home mostly with Premiere, Photoshop, After FX and some light 3D stuff... and obviously spend too much time on SA when I should be getting poo poo done.

I can provide imagery, static or moving, as needed. Let me know if that can be of use somehow.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
that latest photoshop phriday is brilliant

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

that latest photoshop phriday is brilliant

it's real good, and one that i had nothing to do with! my computer had crashed and also was having family visit for a while so i asked BFM to take care of all the work.

it made me laugh out loud a few times.

Bronze Fonz posted:

Not sure how exactly but I could provide some help in that regard.
I work from home mostly with Premiere, Photoshop, After FX and some light 3D stuff... and obviously spend too much time on SA when I should be getting poo poo done.

I can provide imagery, static or moving, as needed. Let me know if that can be of use somehow.

i will keep this in mind, i had a productive day as far as my ability to help meaningfully today. if you have specific ideas, email logan@somethingawful.com with what your ideas are but uh, given you said you said you aren't sure how to be helpful, we can work that kind of stuff out here.

there are a lot of very talented goons, but just being good at art or funny or whatever is a skillset, so applying it in a direction is usually easy when you have direction. it's why the photoshop threads, or any comedy thread works so well. here is the rules, go nuts, and then at a certain point someone starts breaking the rules and new rules are established. i think directing a bit of this energy into frontpage content is a good idea?

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

as per my last email, we'll touch base, circle back and synergize
Hey guys! Logan here.

Heather Papps is doing a fantastic job of explaining and organizing all of this. Thanks man!

Yes, please email me at logan@somethingawful.com with your ideas!

We’re looking to expand into all sorts of mediums: articles, videos (thinking about including misc video content on the YouTube channel, TBD), social media content (big!!! need small bite-sized funny content that people will share on social media that directs them to SA), etc.

The goal here is being a full-fledged entertainment publisher. As ad revenue starts rolling in soon, we’ll be able to pay consistent contributors. One day—and this is a big goal—I’d like for us to produce feature films (Doom House 3 and the notorious CyberTroll2000!), web shows, and cool audience-driven livestreams. For now, anything that’s funny and gets eyeballs is needed.

We need you goons! We want this to be weird, and we want to make fun of the internet. Think SA circa 2005 but make it modern and relevant to the community’s current vibe.

Content guide in the works, will share with those whose ideas tickle both myself and Lowtax.

Thanks!!

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
So what's up with writers not getting paid for the first 1-2 months? Was that just poorly worded or what?

I don't want to be overly negative or anything but I don't think the SA front page provides enough exposure these days to be worth two months of free labor.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

bloom posted:

So what's up with writers not getting paid for the first 1-2 months? Was that just poorly worded or what?

I don't want to be overly negative or anything but I don't think the SA front page provides enough exposure these days to be worth two months of free labor.

i mean if that is how you look at doing fun stuff that is funny, sure.

i track poo poo i don't like doing. i don't keep track of the time i spend on stuff i enjoy.

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

bloom posted:

That’s fair. If it doesn’t work for you, that’s fine; it’s up to you whether or not it’s worth it. Soon we’ll be driving most traffic to the front page, and perhaps you can apply then. Thanks for the question!

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

I wanted to mention again that we’re mainly waiting for advertising revenue to ramp up, as we’ve just implemented a new direct advertising campaign.

I realize this sounds like a raw deal at the moment in terms of payment in exchange for labor. However, people who want to start writing now will be given highest priority in both payment and approval.

The business has been left to lapse for quite some time. My role here is to make it a profitable business again, and it’s my obsession to do so.

If you don’t suspect that writing for the front page will ever be worth it in terms of pay and/or exposure, then I encourage you not to submit. We’re looking to build a team of people who are committed to making SA even better than it was a decade and a half ago.

I’m a businesswoman first and foremost, and it is against my morals to extract labor from people for free when I can afford to pay them. I see great potential in the future of SA as an entertainment brand, and if you do too, then we’d love to have you as a member of the team.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
If you ran an article I wrote, I would expect to be paid for it. Even if I decided I never wanted to write another article, I would expect to be paid for the article I did write, that you published, presumably because you thought it would make you money. This is not a difficult concept.

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

cda posted:

If you ran an article I wrote, I would expect to be paid for it. Even if I decided I never wanted to write another article, I would expect to be paid for the article I did write, that you published, presumably because you thought it would make you money. This is not a difficult concept.

I don’t disagree. Like I said, if you’re not interested, we understand. I won’t argue with you about this concept because, as you said, it’s not difficult. There’s nothing to argue.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

capitalism is a real trip, friends

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

is there a something awful podcast? there should be a podcast.

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

Heather Papps posted:

is there a something awful podcast? there should be a podcast.

There is a podcast called Murder the Internet, where Rich and I will rant and banter about bullshit we find on the internet (the previous co-host, Jonathan, moved. I highly recommend checking out those episodes). My plan is to combine it with Something Awful, the latter being the umbrella brand.

It would be neat to have goons call in and join us.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Unfortunately Art posted:

I don’t disagree. Like I said, if you’re not interested, we understand. I won’t argue with you about this concept because, as you said, it’s not difficult. There’s nothing to argue.

What's the reason for adopting this kind of wage system btw? The announcement says it's to prevent writers from leaving, but you're saying it's because there isn't any available money yet?

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

Crimpolioni posted:

What's the reason for adopting this kind of wage system btw? The announcement says it's to prevent writers from leaving, but you're saying it's because there isn't any available money yet?

could it not be both? i don't think it's unreasonable for a test run of a writer.

this is not outside the realm of possibility: someone buries their weird rear end racism of bigotry and reveals it after a few weeks of normal, funny articles.

i can not imagine how it would feel to pay someone to gently caress with my business, which is kind of the reality of what this is meant to prevent. i think?

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

Heather Papps posted:

capitalism is a real trip, friends

I agree. I hate that this is the position SA is in. I myself am even acting in a volunteer capacity, but I am in the position to do so because I make enough money from my own business. Not all are so privileged, and I understand.

This is a passion project for me as SA was a huge influence on me and my sense of humor; what’s more, it’s a dream project for my career. Hopefully other people feel similarly. I am working my rear end off toward the goal of building a profitable entertainment business model. In analyzing the position SA is currently in, I realized it’s like getting in on the ground floor of a startup that is based on a 20-year-old brand.

To anyone reading this (besides you, Heather Papps): if any of this enrages you, please don’t apply. And for gently caress’s sake, don’t email me bullshit.

I will say, however: just by being on the forums, you’re contributing, and for that, we appreciate you.

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

Crimpolioni posted:

It’s both. Rich is reluctant to agree to 1099 contracts with writers who haven’t proven themselves to meet deadlines and essentially be reliable. I may be able to convince him otherwise.

I’m trying to be as frank as I can here. Thanks for the questions.

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

Heather Papps posted:

could it not be both? i don't think it's unreasonable for a test run of a writer.

this is not outside the realm of possibility: someone buries their weird rear end racism of bigotry and reveals it after a few weeks of normal, funny articles.

i can not imagine how it would feel to pay someone to gently caress with my business, which is kind of the reality of what this is meant to prevent. i think?

Exactly.

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

I am not able to make announcements as I am not an admin, otherwise I would have worded it differently. In fact, I have been advised not to post anywhere without going through Rich first (because people tend to dogpile me except on BYOB, which is the best subforum). I was just trying to expand on what Heather Papps started and I think it’s fair to explain what Rich announced.

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

I am likely explaining this poorly since I am arguably the worst poster on this website. I’m rather scatterbrained at the moment and extremely busy. I hope some of these posts have been helpful to people who are deciding whether or not to send a submission. I rest my case.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The patreon alone makes 10 grand a month + whatever revenue the forum already generates. How can you not pay people 50 bucks for a front page article.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Pay your workers

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

In Training posted:

The patreon alone makes 10 grand a month + whatever revenue the forum already generates. How can you not pay people 50 bucks for a front page article.

Okay. I’ll talk to Rich about it.

The forums and ad revenue at this time are absolutely abysmal, and the Patreon has gone down considerably and no longer makes $10k+ a month, but I’m not here to argue about anything. I’m just explaining Rich’s decisions.

To reiterate: I’ll talk to Rich about it. I hear you.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

It’s both. Rich is reluctant to agree to 1099 contracts with writers who haven’t proven themselves to meet deadlines and essentially be reliable. I may be able to convince him otherwise.

I’m trying to be as frank as I can here. Thanks for the questions.

We have things called "resumes" and "work samples" that help us make decisions on who to employ. From what I'm getting from all this the idea is to hire willing goons instead of actual qualified writers. That can be fine I guess if said goons are OK with writing without pay or a contract (as in, they know what they're signing up for), but at least give goons who contribute to the front page things like avatar certs, forums upgrades, etc. Maybe an exclusive platinum badge like we already see with some users. These things have no monetary value but they also cost the forums no monetary loss to give out.

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

Putty posted:

We have things called "resumes" and "work samples" that help us make decisions on who to employ. From what I'm getting from all this the idea is to hire willing goons instead of actual qualified writers. That can be fine I guess if said goons are OK with writing without pay or a contract (as in, they know what they're signing up for), but at least give goons who contribute to the front page things like avatar certs, forums upgrades, etc. Maybe an exclusive platinum badge like we already see with some users. These things have no monetary value but they also cost the forums no monetary loss to give out.

Excellent idea, I’ll take this to Rich too. Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate you.

For the record, I vet all writing samples. I’m not sure why it matters if someone is a working writer or not if their writing is funny. However, if it concerns you, a lot of the people who have already submitted are working writers with published work. We’re also getting work from people who aren’t goons but who we think are funny. And I don’t give a gently caress about resumes.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Incredibly scummy

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

what's a direct advertising campaign? like- banners for SA?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

boar guy posted:

what's a direct advertising campaign? like- banners for SA?

Flyers in the mail directing you to something awful.com

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

except on BYOB, which is the best subforum)

Agreed.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Flyers in the mail directing you to something awful.com

i mean in marketing/advertising it usually refers to email which...is an interesting way to market SA

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

boar guy posted:

i mean in marketing/advertising it usually refers to email which...is an interesting way to market SA

direct ad sales friend. also programmatic. we’re not advertising SA, other brands are advertising on SA, which then creates revenue for us. does that make sense?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That guy is a marketing genius. Careful

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Making people work for you without paying them is evil.

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

I mean I have a whole marketing plan in place to generate new traffic for the site but that is not the purpose of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Lowtax and Logan are bad people, who are doing something that is morally wrong. They should feel shame and regret for their actions.