Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

as per my last email, we'll touch base, circle back and synergize

Arrhythmia posted:

Making people work for you without paying them is evil.

hey buddy, did you read the thread? there are some of my posts above yours. I said I’d talk to Rich about it, end of story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Unfortunately Art posted:

direct ad sales friend. also programmatic. we’re not advertising SA, other brands are advertising on SA, which then creates revenue for us. does that make sense?

that's not direct marketing. it's selling ad space

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Isn't an unwillingness to invest in the forums exactly what brought us to this current state of affairs? It seems to me that the opportunity at a fair shake for creating content could create an attractive incentive for new members to sign up and throw their hats in the ring.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 19, 2020

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

boar guy posted:

that's not direct marketing. it's selling ad space

I am facilitating direct and programmatic advertising campaigns on this site. is that clear?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I am facilitating direct and programmatic advertising campaigns on this site. is that clear?

yeah if that's the same thing as 'selling banner ads'

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

hey buddy, did you read the thread? there are some of my posts above yours. I said I’d talk to Rich about it, end of story.

Tell me when the situation changes and I'll apologize.

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Isn't an unwillingness to invest in the forums exactly what brought us to this current state of affairs? It seems to me that the opportunity at a fair shake for creating content could create an attractive incentive for new members to sign up and throw their hats in the ring.

Precisely.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

The investment I'm referencing is on the part of the person receiving donations for operating the forums. The Fair shake is paying people that create content that is published by that website for the company's benefit. Not sure if that was completely clear.

This community has invested in this website over and over and over again, both through using forums features and by direct contributions to Lowtax. This seems like an ask on the part of the site's administration when it is already benefiting from its patron community.

That said I think its good that you're gonna talk to Lowtax about working on the pay process. Outside of that significant fly in the ointment this sounds like a good idea.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 19, 2020

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

boar guy posted:

yeah if that's the same thing as 'selling banner ads'

Whatever, boar guy. You’re being unnecessarily pedantic in a thread about content for the front page. How about you go be pedantic somewhere else in GBS, how’s that grab ya?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I mean I have a whole marketing plan in place to generate new traffic for the site but that is not the purpose of this thread.

Where is that thread?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

No.

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The investment I'm referencing is on the part of the person receiving donations for operating the forums. The Fair shake is paying people that create content that is published by that website for the company's benefit. Not sure if that was completely clear.

This community has invested in this website over and over and over again, both through using forums features and by direct contributions to Lowtax. This seems like an ask on the part of the site's administration when it is already benefiting from its patron community.

For the last time: I will talk to Rich about it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Whatever, boar guy. You’re being unnecessarily pedantic in a thread about content for the front page. How about you go be pedantic somewhere else in GBS, how’s that grab ya?

just trying to clarify what's actually being done because it isn't direct marketing

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

big nipples big life posted:

Where is that thread?

I’m not making a thread.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Thanks for volunteering your time btw, I hope this process takes off.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I really don't mean to be snarky, but if "facilitating direct and programmatic advertising campaigns on this site" really just means banner ads then that wasn't clear to me either and it'd be more helpful if you'd just said the latter. If it doesn't mean banner ads then alright, but in that case I still don't know what you mean.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Nope.

Also, pay your workers.

Lucavi
May 12, 2002
yeah stop using marketing words u don't even understand

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

lol. incredible.

Lucavi
May 12, 2002
guys hear me out: CyberTroll5000

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

we will grow integrated initiatives by innovating one-to-one vortals to unleash cross-media channels and enable end-to-end e-business.

logan from corporate
May 18, 1994

Crimpolioni posted:

I really don't mean to be snarky, but if "facilitating direct and programmatic advertising campaigns on this site" really just means banner ads then that wasn't clear to me either and it'd be more helpful if you'd just said the latter. If it doesn't mean banner ads then alright, but in that case I still don't know what you mean.

Okay. Here’s how it works. There’s direct advertising, which other brands are looking to do on this site. This means they go back and forth with me, manually, and we agree on a price for what it costs to advertise here or on Gaming Garbage or Murder the Internet.

There’s also programmatic advertising, where brands buy ad space on our site. Like at the top and the sides and in AdBot.

Sorry if I pissed everybody off by not explaining that. I understand that my mere presence on the forums pisses people off and they think I am wildly incompetent and unqualified for what I do. I simply do not give a gently caress. I’ve said what I have to say in this thread.

logan from corporate fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 19, 2020

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Sounds like a raw deal. Most goons already pull down a decent five figgies from computer work. Maybe you would have better luck seeking writers from Fiverr or indeed.com. Good luck op.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i think we should get shmorky back working on th eFP

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I'm still not understanding why it matters in the first place whether or not someone only writes one or two articles ever.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Perhaps a free account giveaway promotion that requires a first submission would be a way to incentivize people to work for an asset that is cheap for the forums to give away? Or other forums upgrades? $50 of cert coupons?

Company scrip is not what people crave but its certainly more than nothing, particularly as this process hammers itself out

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 19, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Hey guys! Logan here.

Heather Papps is doing a fantastic job of explaining and organizing all of this. Thanks man!

Yes, please email me at logan@somethingawful.com with your ideas!

We’re looking to expand into all sorts of mediums: articles, videos (thinking about including misc video content on the YouTube channel, TBD), social media content (big!!! need small bite-sized funny content that people will share on social media that directs them to SA), etc.

The goal here is being a full-fledged entertainment publisher. As ad revenue starts rolling in soon, we’ll be able to pay consistent contributors. One day—and this is a big goal—I’d like for us to produce feature films (Doom House 3 and the notorious CyberTroll2000!), web shows, and cool audience-driven livestreams. For now, anything that’s funny and gets eyeballs is needed.

We need you goons! We want this to be weird, and we want to make fun of the internet. Think SA circa 2005 but make it modern and relevant to the community’s current vibe.

Content guide in the works, will share with those whose ideas tickle both myself and Lowtax.

Thanks!!

Well this is going to be a shitshow.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

will something awful llc publish my hip hopera based on the work of simon & garfunkle— 'da trialz & tribulations of 1 rhymin simon + garfunky' ?

and if so will vinyl pressings be on the table? i prefer vinyl for its characteristic fidelity

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Dip Viscous posted:

I'm still not understanding why it matters in the first place whether or not someone only writes one or two articles ever.

I agree it's confusing. Like surely if it's a good article, then having that good article on the website, even by someone who never gets published again, is good. I'm pretty sure the way that people build a roster of writers is by paying everyone once, and then if they write a second article, you pay them again, and then if they write a third article, you pay them for that one, and so on, and eventually, some people have written a lot of articles for you.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

cda posted:

I agree it's confusing. Like surely if it's a good article, then having that good article on the website, even by someone who never gets published again, is good. I'm pretty sure the way that people build a roster of writers is by paying everyone once, and then if they write a second article, you pay them again, and then if they write a third article, you pay them for that one, and so on, and eventually, some people have written a lot of articles for you.

its almost as if it's a really clumsy scam

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Okay. Here’s how it works. There’s direct advertising, which other brands are looking to do on this site. This means they go back and forth with me, manually, and we agree on a price for what it costs to advertise here or on Gaming Garbage or Murder the Internet.

There’s also programmatic advertising, where brands buy ad space on our site. Like at the top and the sides and in AdBot.

Sorry if I pissed everybody off by not explaining that. I understand that my mere presence on the forums pisses people off and they think I am wildly incompetent and unqualified for what I do. I simply do not give a gently caress. I’ve said what I have to say in this thread.

Are you aware of adblockers, right?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Selling ads. That's the big plan to save the website.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

P-Mack posted:

Selling ads. That's the big plan to save the website.

don't forget the unpaid labor.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Hard Times is probably the closest thing to what you want SA's front page to be like and they pay $50 an article the moment the article is published, with tax forms and everything automatically generated for the freelancer. Also they take submissions from anyone and hire people based on providing five funny headlines rather than having to do months of unpaid full articles with the promise of possibly making money in the future. There is literally no reason for any aspiring comedy writer to choose SA over them, especially when they have a much larger reader base and greater social media engagement. They even let other sites use their freelancer payment processing for free and it's basically become the standard so lack of in-house technology is not an excuse for not paying people.

https://twitter.com/MattSaincome/status/1098053527551627264

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Jesus loving christ you people are just looking for things to bitch about.

I've always, always, ALWAYS paid writers for this site. There have always, always, ALWAYS been a two month trial period, because I learned around 2002 or so that people would take the money and disappear. By having a trial period, we are able to filter out the people who are and who are not consistent and reliable, and are interested in writing in a scheduled manner for SA. It's literally been like this for two decades now.

None of this will be affecting the forums. I know outrage and drama is really cool and great and helpful right now, and people are bitching for absolutely any reason to put down any plans we have for the front page, but perhaps you don't recall the days when forum users bitched that the money from the forums went to pay writers for the front page, because the money was supposed to apparently go directly back to the forums, because the purchaser(s) did not read the front page.

None of this poo poo affects any of you. None of this poo poo will change the forums in any way. This is all an attempt to at least bring in *SOME* ad revenue from the front page, and I'm hiring people based on the exact same qualifications and standards I always have. loving lay off the dramatic hyperboles of "unpaid labor" and "ads will save the site," because this poo poo is absolutely primarily targeted to a completely different section of the site, one you do not interact with, and one that generates nearly ZERO income. Compare any front page article on SA to any article on CNN or VICE or whatever. Count the number of ads we display there compared to them. Then feel free to gently caress off with your retarded pedantry and pointless bitching.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

So, to be clear, if someone wrote 2 articles in a 2 week period, then didn’t write anymore, would they be paid for those 2 articles even though they stopped writing?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Sleeveless posted:

The Hard Times is probably the closest thing to what you want SA's front page to be like and they pay $50 an article the moment the article is published, with tax forms and everything automatically generated for the freelancer. Also they take submissions from anyone and hire people based on providing five funny headlines rather than having to do months of unpaid full articles with the promise of possibly making money in the future. There is literally no reason for any aspiring comedy writer to choose SA over them, especially when they have a much larger reader base and greater social media engagement. They even let other sites use their freelancer payment processing for free and it's basically become the standard so lack of in-house technology is not an excuse for not paying people.

https://twitter.com/MattSaincome/status/1098053527551627264
Yeah and they're financed and supported by Vice Media. They can afford to do that. Sorry to burst your bubble, but we are not financed and supported by Vice Media, so we cannot do things your way.

If you want $50 up front and it's all about getting cash quick for you, fine, go to The Hard Times. We're a truly indie site and have always been, and have never partnered with large companies like Vice Media, so we scrape by as well as we can. A month or two of free work to show you're not going to flake out and are dedicated to to the job, leads to $40 per article from then on. It's loving ridiculous to compare us to the Hard Times because we've never gone for the cheap "JOKE IS IN THE HEADLINE PLZ SPREAD VIRAL" poo poo, and trust me, we don't have any cash from Vice nor do we have 300+ writers.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Lowtax posted:

A month or two of free work to show you're not going to flake out and are dedicated to to the job, leads to $40 per article from then on. It's loving ridiculous

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i feel like you're not going to attract many writers with this policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

woozy pawsies posted:

So, to be clear, if someone wrote 2 articles in a 2 week period, then didn’t write anymore, would they be paid for those 2 articles even though they stopped writing?
Pay begins at two months of work. Always been that way. Always will be that way. We were paying people for writing back in the mid 2000s when volunteers got paid absolutely ZERO for their contributions. We can't just suddenly change all our policies because hey, some site financed by Vice is paying more. We can't fucken compete with Vice. If any of you want me to start paying like Vice's / The Hard Time's model works, then cool, get me a loving contact there and we'll join up with them and offer the same benefits. Until then, you're gonna have to realize you're dealing with an absolutely indie site with ZERO ties to anything corporate, and we cannot compete with that.