Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Scam Likely posted:

Yes but have considered the fact that GOVT IS TRYING TO BAN THE THING I LIKE?!? :byodood:

No I will not learn a single thing more than that unless it's force fed to me via Tik Tok's algorithmic filter.

They should also ban people who like the Tick Tock, IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

pls don't tell trudeau

Afraid of getting promoted?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They should also ban people who like the Tick Tock, IMHO.

good thing we still have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S28FMoZ4P4I

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Hong Kong passed new legislation which gives pretty much ends any question of dissent by the citizens in the future.

https://www.npr.org/2024/03/19/1239403058/hong-kong-new-article-23-national-security-legislation

quote:

Pro-Beijing lawmakers have argued the legislation is needed to fill loopholes left by the sweeping 2020 national security law.

"Now we would have had the offense of secession and subversion, overthrow of government, which means that if the rioters started waving pro-independence banners, we could have prosecuted them, which means that it would not have been necessary for Beijing to step in and introduce its own national security law," Regina Ip, a Hong Kong politician said on a Hong Kong talk show this year.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Feels kinda redundant to make dissent illegal when you'll imprison and torture anyone who does it regardless

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
There's no need to dissent in a communist utopia

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Or, for that matter, in any media which wishes to retain its mainland viewership/readership/playerbase. It's a good thing no Western company would cave to rank authoritarian censorship of those merely expressing their desire for liberty and democracy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I was at the pharmacy earlier and they had their in-house radio playing. Ads for stuff in the store, then a song or two, the usual.

Only one of the songs played was by Twice. I know Kpop has gotten a lot more popular in the last few years with some boy groups even making the charts in the US, but hearing it in a suburban Australian pharmacy felt surreal.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

Or, for that matter, in any media which wishes to retain its mainland viewership/readership/playerbase. It's a good thing no Western company would cave to rank authoritarian censorship of those merely expressing their desire for liberty and democracy.

haha lol

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I was at the pharmacy earlier and they had their in-house radio playing. Ads for stuff in the store, then a song or two, the usual.

Only one of the songs played was by Twice. I know Kpop has gotten a lot more popular in the last few years with some boy groups even making the charts in the US, but hearing it in a suburban Australian pharmacy felt surreal.

Soft Korean Power.

I know several women who went to Korea to find husbands. Of course, they got hit with how sexist Korea is, but still.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
after winter sonata aired I remember seeing on the street tv interviews with women saying they wanted to go to korea to find a husband

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jesus how godawful would the local men need to be to make Koreans seem a good option by comparison?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ili posted:

Jesus how godawful would the local men need to be to make Koreans seem a good option by comparison?

They're comparing against a fictional character.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
one of the grand problems of modernity is peeps not understanding that fiction is fiction

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I remember a Korean woman saying that Korean women would try to date Chinese guys to avoid Korean guys and wondering how awful Korean guys must be. It seems like they could just arrange a trade.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

ninjoatse.cx posted:

They're comparing against a fictional character.

Well, yeah, they make those dudes in some secret lab in Seoul.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Nice Van My Man posted:

I remember a Korean woman saying that Korean women would try to date Chinese guys to avoid Korean guys and wondering how awful Korean guys must be. It seems like they could just arrange a trade.

It seems like Chinese dudes figured out that the closer they look like Kpop dudes, the more likely lady expats are attracted.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Okuteru posted:

Well, yeah, they make those dudes in some secret lab in Seoul.

the plastic surgery clinics are not at all secret, they advertise on the 1 and 2 lines. actually most of the lines

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Okuteru posted:

I know several women who went to Korea to find husbands. Of course, they got hit with how sexist Korea is, but still.

I met several people like this too. Quick road to burnout and going home.

Nice Van My Man posted:

I remember a Korean woman saying that Korean women would try to date Chinese guys to avoid Korean guys and wondering how awful Korean guys must be.

Yeah the Chinese guys are nice thing is a really common stereotype, I've heard it a lot. Given my experience with Korean dudes I would not dispute it.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Nice Van My Man posted:

In the early 70s my Korean aunt was sold/married to a Chinese import exporter in Hong Kong but then he was committed after running naked in the streets so they annulled the marriage or something. So yeah trading is definitely an option.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Borscht posted:

In the early 70s my Korean aunt was sold/married to a Chinese import exporter in Hong Kong but then he was committed after running naked in the streets so they annulled the marriage or something. So yeah trading is definitely an option.

Please tell me you have more details about this story.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Found some sage advice from a tibetan yak herder:

https://twitter.com/naaiyaudo/status/1729517903668740463

Edit: wrong thread w/e I'm leaving it.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 22, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

thats me

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
There's not a single tree in that video.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
steppe off, pal

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Only lovely pissbaby trees lose their leaves, ever. Or have leaves.

Pine trees 4TW.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Please tell me you have more details about this story.

That part of her life she leaves the most vague. I know that during the war she got separated from her family at 5 or 6, got taken in by a super old blind couple and that that’s when she ‘ate worms’ to not starve to death. She worked from a very young age in restaurants and as a forager (when we go to the beach with her we don’t take lunch and eat like kings). In her teens, she saw her brother at a market (“we are mountain people and taller than everyone else so I saw him far away in the crowd”) after the Hong Kong thing she moved to Tokyo where she met my uncle who a radio man stationed somewhere in the gulf of Tonkin and was 12 years younger than her. They moved to the Bay Area after the war and she worked at Luby’s, sings karaoke, hikes, and gardens like a beast. Oh and somewhere in there she was forced sterilized but she doesn’t talk about that for obvious reasons.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Only lovely pissbaby trees lose their leaves, ever. Or have leaves.

Pine trees 4TW.

yer mom's a pine tree

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember, maybe 13 years ago, being in Korea and being constantly told "do you know the Korean wave?!? It's the next big thing! Korea will be a cultural powerhouse loved by all!" And I was like "ya ya sure whatever, this roly poly song is catchy I guess but.."

And now here we are.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
13 years ago, hallyu was already ubiquitous in southeast asia and japan. so it's more of a statement of "we'll figure out a way to get those white and latino and black peeps" more than a "we'll do it", they'd already been doing it by then

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

:piss:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

bob dobbs is dead posted:

13 years ago, hallyu was already ubiquitous in southeast asia and japan. so it's more of a statement of "we'll figure out a way to get those white and latino and black peeps" more than a "we'll do it", they'd already been doing it by then

When I heard "Nobody" back in 2008, I knew I was never escaping that song anywhere on the planet, and if I somehow did, I wouldn't escape the next one.

Then Gangnam Style came out.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

I remember when Asian men were not seen as attractive and were the butt of romantic jokes in pop culture.

Now you have women traveling to Korea to meet their personal Jungkook.

How times change.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Don’t get it twisted. Asian guys have a hard time dating still.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah some of that wanting their own Korean boyfriend stuff is because of the stereotype that Asian men are less masculine overall - so there's this idealized romantic ideal of a gentle Asian lover vs rough American/European men. So it's not like that sorta racism went away, Western people still feminize Asian men, it's just become 'ok so what if they're less masculine, that makes them better! 😍'

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Celebrating 20 years of Dragonstea (numa numa song), the greatest contribution of Moldova to global society in this century.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Borscht posted:

Don’t get it twisted. Asian guys have a hard time dating still.

as a korean dude, my yield for matches on right swipe on tinder in 2017 at 220 lbs in san francisco was 0.01%, my yield for matches on tinder in singapore at 170 lbs in singapore in 2018 was like 20%. 5' 7". that's some difference

highly recommend being not fat, that was ruined by the roni unfortunately

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

highly recommend being not fat, that was ruined by the roni unfortunately

Too much of the San Francisco treat will do that.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

the san francisco treat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

hellyeah keep it going