Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

Hello new China thread.

I did 2 1/2 years in the glorious PRC. And as such will whinge about it occasionally in this thread.

More importantly, in my time in China I have eaten at Hooters in 3 different mainland Chinese cities, (also in Taipei and Hong Kong) So feel free to ask me about that.

No Japan? Sorry you’re missing the full East Asia set, that cuts the market value in half.

ded posted:

get that sweet chinese marriage visa and not be able to legally work in china

Lol do mainland spouse visas seriously not give work permission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
There’s a reason Haier was also seen as a weirdo here.

Dude said he was frequently told he looked like Keanu Reeves and was also in China where there’s a metric shitton of women and he still ended up in situations like that constantly.

Weirds gonna weird

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Despera posted:

Not going to lie, living 10 years in china, learning chinese, marrying into china, and having chinese children is a good cover for being racist against china

Don’t have time to watch that video and don’t know or care much about those you tubers beyond their names so not addressing this specific situation/people, but

None of the above *at all* precludes people from being racist as all gently caress and that’s pretty obvious if you’ve ever spent any amount of time among white expats in Asia

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We seem to have downscaled from "No moderate sized city is going to have near that quality or breadth. New York, Chicago, San Francisco sure. At best you will have small outcrops of good food but the majority is bland Americanized "this is what is safe to serve in the states" food." to "simply listing real restaurants isn't good enough".

Remember it started from literally “there is nothing but hamburgers and hotdogs outside of SoCal” lol

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Japan > world.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Nobody washes their hands (when I would on rare occasions see someone wash their hands it was shocking), there is almost never soap or hot water available in any public place. Newly built mall bathrooms are the big exception, they're usually about the same as the west. Still nobody washing, but you could.

China's worse but this isn't actually that weird for East Asia, even in relatively clean Japan it's a coin toss if there's going to be soap in a bathroom. Same in Korea. I eventually just started keeping a small bottle in my backpack, and you always want to have some wipes with you in Asia.

Japan has soap in like 95% of bathrooms outside of countryside train stations.

Also I'm pretty happy to see here in Taiwan for all the government offices and hospitals I've seen they have people stationed at the entrance giving you an alcohol spray on the hands, requiring you to use a mask, and many have guys with temperature guns checking everyone. It owns and is good.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

Japanese bathrooms mostly have soap, but they never ever have paper towels, you gotta pack a little cloth.

Not at all true. Many public bathrooms like in train stations will just have air driers, but there's also lots of places you're going to go with paper towels.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Train station bathrooms in japan are pretty much the same level of gross as public transit bathrooms in America.

Also objectively untrue. The public bathrooms in some of the major stations that see huge, huge numbers of people (Shinjuku, Shibuya, Shinbashi, etc.) will get fairly nasty sometimes, but relatively to traffic are really quite amazing. Basically anywhere else will very clean the vast majority of times (no telling if someone went to a squatter and missed a drop or something and you get there before it's cleaned), if old for some countryside stations. Consistently much cleaner than the public stuff in the US, though there's much more variability in the US as it's huge and there's major variety.

TL;DR the US is dirty and Americans are dirty fucks who get off on trashing the environments live and exist in.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Don't see how having lived in Japan and takin' a bunch of shits all over makes me a weeb but if that's the best you got then okay

Edit: also if you live in Japan and consistently encounter weebs you should consider why that is

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 5, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

How do you say weeb in japanese? Weebu?

Bip Roberts posted:

ウェーブ

The pronunciation would ウィーブ (Bip Roberts' is close but would have an "eh" sound where an "ee" sound should be; would be closer to "wave" in English).

There's no term with the same nuance in Japanese though, and the above is just a phonetic pronunciation. The closest they get in meaning is 日本かぶれ (nihon kabure), which is someone who adopts the attitude and actions of Japan; basically acts if they're Japanese/want to be Japanese despite not being.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
As an aside I love this note in the applicable Japanese wikipedia page (added trans are mine):

英語における「おたく」の類似語
"Similar terms in English for "Otaku""

英語(米語)では、日本でのオタクに近い意味を表すためにはNerd(ナード)という言葉で表現され、パソコンオタクや電子工作オタクを指す場では geek(ギーク)が用られる。また(wizard)ウィザードの略語である(wiz)ウィズを単語の後に付けコンピューターウィズなどと使う表現もある。しかしこれは魔法使いと言う意味も含むため宗教的問題から、近年は余り用いられることはない。また、日本のアダルトゲーム(エロゲ)を由来として、オタクのことを(日本語の意味を知らずに)"hentai"と呼ぶアメリカ人もいる。

アメリカのナードに付いて歌われた曲White & Nerdy参照。
"For more information on American nerds, refer to the song "White & Nerdy"

geek
「ギーク」も参照
nerd
「ナード」も参照
dork, dweeb, goon, および doofus など
いずれも「間抜け」「弱虫」「無能」といった否定的な意味合い。スクールカースト下位者に対する蔑称。
Anorak
主としてイギリスの鉄道マニアに対する蔑称。アノラックを着る者が多いことから。
Weeaboo, Wapanese, Weeb
三つとも欧米人に対して欧米人が使用する、「日本かぶれ」という意味の単語。

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

It's weird to me that they don't have a common slang term more synonymous with weeb. I imagine most Japanese are very aware of the nerdy white people who are obsessed with their country, since a lot of them end up traveling there and bothering people.

There's very little awareness. As a typical Japanese person you will have basically 0 interaction with obnoxious weeb types... ever. They come and hang out in tourist areas and do tourist stuff, and that's about it. If you're socially unskilled enough to be immediately identifiable as what we consider a weeb then you're not likely to live in Japan long term or venture out of tourist-heavy areas at all.

There's a very general awareness that there are some people who *really really* like Japan and are a bit weird about it, but it's not such a significant part of peoples' interactions that they need to have a term for it.

I lived in Japan for 12 years and can not think of single time I actually had to meaningfully interact (or go out of my way to avoid interaction) with someone who was out and out obnoxiously weeby. At most I would see some fat American looking types with anime buttons and stuff walking down the street of one of the major areas in Tokyo.

Moreover weeb etc. are very much based heavily in internet culture, and since Japan has that critical mass to create their own internet culture and sites, in Japanese and de facto walled off from interaction with English/international internet culture, there's not as much awareness overall. There might be some more recent/modern internet slang that's spot-on with weeb that I'm just not yet aware of, however.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

fish and chips and dip posted:

I wonder what this might result in if the virus and the incompetency drags on, or if people will just forget and go back to business as usual.

As long as quality of life returns and people are still relatively wealthy then they will. People will only care if it’s part of a larger downfall, like the virus causing major long-term economic effects.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

RustyKnight posted:

Friend tried to get into student exchange in China for his last semester of law school, worked hard as poo poo for the last few years and now because of the outbreak exchange was canceled. Feel so sorry for poor bastard

Tell them to spend their summer or whatever in Taiwan and get all the good stuff and less of the bullshit.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Apparently there's some real dark loving stories about his death going around though.

Like after he was dead for a few hours some dudes sent down an order to keep him alive no matter what. At first they said they were keeping him alive with a machine (forget the specific name of the machine) that the hospital he was at didn't even have, so the medical community called their bluff, then they brought all the doctors in his hospital in to his room and forced them to perform CPR (again, a number of hours after his actual death), which is not kind to the body, so basically in the process of this all the doctors in his hospital were forced to perform CPR on his lifeless corpse until all the upper ribs were broken.

God knows if it's true or not but this is the story going around among the Chinese medical community and supposedly comes from leaks from doctors at his hospital.

Edit: also could account for the discrepancies for a number of hours from various sources around when he actually died.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Sometimes when I see this stuff I wish *desperately* that there was an account that just did American-equivalent parody of whatever the Chinese state twitter accounts did. It could be amazing.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Super Waffle posted:

So it seems unlikely now with this pandemic, but before all this there was a possibility my company was going to send me to Beijing for work. As I really don't want to go, or quit, what are the best posts I can make on my Facebook to ensure I will get denied a visa? TIA

Just demand they pay you an assload of money. Anywhere is okay if you get paid enough.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

Also the USA is, you know, a democracy with separation of powers, an independent judiciary, rule of law, a free press, and a thriving civil society. Countries that possess these qualities are considerably easier to deal with on fair and equal terms than countries without them and the US is no exception.

Quoting this for posterity

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
man do I hope that's real and not photoshopped

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I'm planning to head to Taiwan in the few weeks, so the lack of chinese tour groups should be a blessing.

China had already banned travel to Taiwan over political stuff off and on for a bit, which cut down on the groups overall. It's usually actually not that bad even beforehand, though of course now it should be basically zero.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

This doesn't even look real at all; looks like an RPG-7 type grenade they threw on to a mockup tube.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
:texas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD4fL0WXNfo

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Cheesemaster200 posted:

China deported two WSJ reporters over hurt feelings and an opinion piece named "China Is The Real Sick Man of Asia". Ever since that I think they have started taken the gloves off with Chinese bullshit.

To be fair that was a dumb title and they knew what they were doing. You can call out the Chinese economy without using colonial-era terms that are pretty iffy.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Agreed about the title, but keep in mind that the journalists who were deported not only were not the authors of that article, but weren't even in remotely the same department. The "sick man of Asia" article was a random op-ed piece presented in WSJ's Opinion section, not actual news/journalism. The absurdity here isn't that the CCP was angry over WSJ's article; it's that they took out that anger on people who had essentially nothing to do with it.

Aaah okay didn't know that, but also not surprised it's just dumb punitive stuff by the ccp

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

GotLag posted:

It was a term coined by an emperor to describe another empire.

It was also first used to refer to China during a period when Western imperial powers were exploiting the gently caress out of and colonizing it and in general doing stuff which we now acknowledge was real lovely in an objective sense for all that it was "normal" during the era.

Edit: Like I don't think that phrase is the end of the world and the response to the WSJ article was super overdone and almost certainly had some state propaganda support behind it (besides just the cancelling of visas) but we're talking about an article that 1) is strongly critical of China's current Asian economic hegemony and 2) headlines with a phrase used by Western Empires to refer to China during the period also known as The Centry of Humiliation, without really adding anything meaningful to the article. You can "Acksuallyyyyy" about the etymology all you want but it's not hard to see why people got pissed at it.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 3, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Interesting had never seen that flag for Taiwan

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_flags_of_Taiwan

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

How's he wrong though. After the local govt hosed things up China did a good job containing it. You can be a lovely terrible government and do some specific stuff right, especially when the right thing to do is suppress peoples ability to act freely, which they're, uh, good at.

Still would have been better for him to have said he'd go to #1 China, however.

MetaJew posted:

I don't know if you have actually traveled to Singapore or are just parroting what you remember from US news in the 90s when that idiot got caned for vandalizing some cars--- but when I visited Singapore, coming from Japan, Singapore was relatively filthy. We stayed in a pretty nice hotel that was admittedly in little India, but there was plenty of littering and garbage on the ground. It was no where near as clean as Japan.

They're both very clean and there's little reliable objective way of measuring this stuff. Singapore is dirty in a few places, Japan is also dirty in a lot of places (and has many more dirty areas because it's much, much bigger overall). The "dirty" of both is still generally far cleaner than many other industrialized world nations. Your perceptions of both are also pretty limited because you're just visiting and don't have as much of an overview. The tourist areas in Japan are generally especially clean, and you also went to literally one of/the dirtiest part of Singapore; both of these are going to hugely impact your impression.

Having lived in Japan for 11~12 years and a year in Singapore, in Little India to be exact, I'd give Japan a slight edge, but not by much, and generally just because the relative average of the suburbs where most people actually live and spend their time is quite high.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

*looks around at rapidly expanding global pandemic*

"China did a good job containing this."

Yeah, they did. Diseases spread and once such an infectious disease is out there then the chances of it not going around to several countries is huge. That's just the reality and the mere fact that it got around doesn't mean that China's response wasn't rapid, appropriate, and well handled relatively speaking.

Hell we're going to get an excellent comparison here; lets see how the US does with their COVID19 cases, after having weeks of warning and already knowing significantly more about it that China did in the early days. Guess what; they're already doing much, much worse.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

the cheese foam rules

:hmmno:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Barudak posted:

The only people I ever knew saying Boba were white people. I had this strange moment in college where everyone was like "Oh man, lets get Boba tea from this vietnam joint its the best" and me asking if that was just bubble tea, as Id never heard of Boba tea, and everyone stating I was crazy and they must be different things.

They are the same and they are both awful.

All the ABCs I know seem to say Boba on their SNS posts, but maybe it's a regional thing and I'm sure various people say various poo poo

Magna Kaser posted:

i actually don't know if it's an imported word from Japanese or a loanword just cuz it sorta sounds like "boobs", but the characters are funny too "波霸“ means like "Hegemon of Ripples" or some doofy poo poo if you translate it literally.

Not Japanese origin to my knowledge; in Japan it's currently referred to as Tapioca, but this is also like the 3rd and largest boom currently, so could have been referred to as Boba in one of the last and I didn't notice.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

i dunno about baijiu but plenty of tea places in china have been putting booze in bubble tea for years. A place i lived by years ago had a really good tiramisu one that was heavy on the rum.

One thing that is a shame is not done more is whisky and milk tea; with the right combination it’s really good. First got into it at this bar in Hualien which knew the right combo apparently because it’s great.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

threelemmings posted:

I never actually stopped and thought about this, mostly just chalked it up to population density. Are there actual structural reasons that makes China more vulnerable (beyond stuff like certain climates helping disease prosper and wealth/lack thereof like you can see in Africa)? Does the slightly racist "Chinese medicine = exposure to weird animals" actually contribute or is that coincidental, given that people world-wide eat basically all animals and so should be getting exposed there too?

Noting the existence of some communities in China having exposure to more and a greater variety of wild animals (including known disease vectors) due to TCM, wet markets, etc. is a fact and not inherently racist, though certainly some people leverage that fact to make statements that are racist or racist dog-whistles.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Once again Bad China follows the lead of Good China

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

i know right? where's my paycheck! i'm stuck in a foreign country that my home country closed its borders to! i can't afford to live on my savings for this long! how am i going to eat this month

bunch of loving complainers

This but unironically

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Blistex posted:

This is the only one that matters...

Also

Note he also made mention in the next sentence of how Taiwan has done fantastically at controlling outbreaks but you can’t talk about it because China will throw a fit.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The Cubelodyte posted:

Even the worst hypocrisy doesn’t automatically mean the hypocrite’s argument is invalid.

There’s really no good evidence that China has made serious efforts at a massive coverup though. Their deaths are certainly higher than just 2500 just as the death counts are higher than reported everywhere in the world unless there’s a country I’m unaware of that’s also adding nonspecific respiratory failure deaths conservatively to their count.

What you do see is other less authoritarian countries like Taiwan, South Korea, and Singapore who took quick effective action have controlled it similarly and lends credence to China’s general success at suppression.

You can think China is a lovely country run by a lovely evil government and still did well at stopping the spread of the diseases; not only are these things not mutually exclusive they if anything are complimentary, given that the best way to stop the spread of disease is by tracking people and suppressing freedom of movement.

The recent focus on China’s death count is primarily a pathetic propaganda attempt by the US.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Did WHO have any specific TCM recommendations for Covid-19, or am I imagining that was something that happened?

As I recall their some of their Chinese language documentation mentioned it as possible treatment (like as a holistic/general health thing) while it was gone from the English versions.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

oohhboy posted:

Ballistic missiles and guided munitions aren't magic. Runways can be repaired fairly quickly and alternates ready to get planes back up like the exercise in Germany landing a plane the highway with equipment ready to rearm. You can't shoot what you can't see so there will be enough aircraft to keep the sky contested for a while and ground forces would be pretty alright. The US didn't kill a single SCUD launcher in Gulf War one and that was pretty much open terrain.

Was going to chime in with this; Taiwan has a whole lot of places set up on their roads that are specifically widened and meant as backup airstrips, and even places aren't specifically intended for that are definitely long/flat/wide enough in many areas that they could be used as such. More than landing strips themselves just the planes are liable to run out.

Also, re: the aforementioned gap of a few weeks before the US could potentially actually mount a response in the case of a boots on ground invasion; Taiwan is extremely mountainous and has very, very defensible terrain. If China weren't to invade at *at least* two or more locations simultaneously it would be extremely difficult to take the rest of the island over land against resistance, and potentially Taiwanese forces could hold out for the US to arrive, or to just draw out the conflict and hope for massive political backlash against the CCP when the true toll of the conflict is realized.

However at that point it really just goes back to the point what Blistex also mentioned; the morale and will of Taiwanese forces, and in the end whether China having killed massive numbers of civilians and maybe flattening Taipei almost entirely in the course of the initial stages stiffens peoples' resolves.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Seriously, a bunch of white people wanking over 'military strategy' or whatever in the East is eughh..... not good content.

Nobody is "wanking" over conflicts that would almost inevitably kill us, our family, and/or our friends.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

I was thinking more 'escalation between two nuclear powers over the unprovoked and continued invasion of a sovereign country', less first strike and more second month of hostilities.

Kind of like the Crimean annexation, only the EU actually did something other than send support and clamp sanctions.

The thing about Crimea is that they share a border with Russia and Russia was able to do things under the guise of it being Ukrainian elements causing the conflict and Russia just going to pacify things or whatnot. That's done specifically because it makes it much, much harder for other powers to intervene.

None of that would work or fly with Taiwan in any feasible scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

It's common for people east asia and SEA to refer to themselves as being from the east. It's a natural follow-up to describing 'westerners' as being from the 'west', or varying degrees of it, despite the fact that when people in China or Hong Kong or Taiwan or Singapore or whatever talk about 'westerners', they are not talking about geography but culture and/or race (typically).

The truth is, theorizing over under what circumstances China would nuke Taiwan or whatever is pretty boring, and so is pretending to be a military commander, and in the various iterations of this thread it has been done over and over.

Food chat is definitely far more interesting and equally masturbatory but in a good way. Taiwan fried 'popcorn' chicken is delicious. Cantonese fried noodles with 'black beans' (aka soy beans), beef, and bell peppers is delicious. 'Salt-Pepper' tofu is delicious. Skewered lamb and beef covered in cumin that you cook at your table while drinking watery, pissy beer, is delicious.

If you don't like a subject you're welcome to not read it!