Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I've stopped participating in the last China thread since I don't live there anymore and modern China mainly depresses me. But I did over five years in Chinese, and I'm married to a Chinese woman so it is a big part of my life.

I haven't been in China for two years, and its funny how the mind works. I kinda forgotten all the bad, annoying things, and I do sometimes miss living there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

There's a Danish newspaper who did A Thing. (in danish, sorry). For the ones who don't want to dig into this story they've also helpfully summed it up:

Status on the feelings of the Chinese people: hurt.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Good on the Danish prime minister though

https://www.thelocal.dk/20200128/we-have-free-speech-danish-pm-avoids-direct-response-to-china-over-flag-controversy

quote:

Frederiksen commented briefly on the matter on Tuesday prior to a Social Democratic parliamentary party meeting, Jyllands-Posten reports.

I have nothing else to say about it other than that we have a very, very strong tradition in Denmark, not only for free speech, but also for satirical drawings, and that will continue in the future as well. It is a well-known Danish position, and we won’t change that,” she said.
The PM did not respond directly to the Chinese calls for an apology.

“I just want to say from Denmark and the Danish government's side, all we have to say is that we have freedom of expression in Denmark -- also to draw,” Frederiksen said.

There was no further need to explain Denmark’s position to China, she also said.
“I don't think anyone is uncertain about how Denmark works in terms of free speech,” the PM said.

She said her comments could be considered an “official statement on my part” over Denmark’s position on free speech.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Jeppe Kofod expressed similar sentiments in comments given to the same newspaper

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I never actually stayed in a proper hotel hotel in the mainland, but I was advised if I did the first thing I should do is unplug the phone, because otherwise there are just constant calls about prostitutes all night.

I never got any calls, but what happened was people would just slip the prostitute business cards in under the hotel room door. Sometimes while I was in the room.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Lol i checked LinkedIn for some unrelated stuff and somebody shared a change.org petition to demand an official apology from Denmark and Australia.

Some of the pro China comments were precious. "Desecrating a flag is not freedom of speech!" " You wouldn't make jokes about the Australian bushfires" and "America is bombing the middle east!"

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

D-Pad posted:

I mean I saw a ~3 year old poo poo in a bucket his mom was carrying around in the bread aisle of whatever that big french supermarket chain is in Shanghai 2008.

I saw a child poo poo on s piece of paper right outside s Haagen dasz in an upscale mall in Shanghai in 2015

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Yeah this was such a mess, for some time Chinese media in English would say he was dead, while the Chinese language editions of the same paper would be all like "we're doing everything we can to treat him".

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

That doctor dying is the first thing I've seen break people since Xi declaring himself emperor for life. Even the most die hard nationalist brainworms person I know is loving livid at the party about it, first time I've ever seen her say anything negative about the PRC. Wechat is full of pissed off posts, I've never seen anything like it.

My wife who was never nationalist but one of the many "Yeah well the CCP isn't' great, but things could be worse, and in the end, we can't do anything about it" types of people. She is loving pissed off, I've never seen her react so strongly to news like this before. I wonder what this might result in if the virus and the incompetency drags on, or if people will just forget and go back to business as usual.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Hopper posted:

Even Google started developing a prototype censored search engine to get back into the Chinese market and only shut it down after internal conflicts. Not surprisingly companies and governments value money over human rights etc. and all bow before that sweet sweet Chinese market.

Google never "left" China as such. They've been making bank selling Google ads to Chinese companies to target western markets. I've been to the Shanghai Google offices and they are really fancy, 79th I think floor of the Shanghai financial tower.

The first company I worked for in Shanghai would drop about $3m on Google ads every year, and that was just about cracking the lower tier of when Google started to notice you.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Lol I read some galaxy brain take that Xi Jinping willed China to become best in the world which means Huawei wouldn't dare to spy on anyone as they wouldn't dare to defy Xi's will. :suicide:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

colachute posted:

just release a social media app that collects all the stuff you want to collect

you'll have more people download it than you would have people buy the phone

Isn't that what tiktok is already?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

The North Tower posted:

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Akratic Method posted:

This is my favorite one, since they occasionally threaten to stop claiming all of China, and China always swears to declare war if they do. :v:

Seriously though, thanks; that’s a good reminder that Mad About Islands is actually pretty normal for the region.

Wait what? I thought I was knowledgeable about mainland Taiwan relations, but this is the first I heard of this.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Is there any timeline on when travel will resume to/from China?

Speaking of airlines, there are still flights in and out of China mainly on Chinese carriers and at reduced frequencies.

Most if not all airlines who have cancelled or reduced their flights to China have set end of April as the target date for when they'll go back to a normal schedule. Two weeks ago the target was end of March.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I haven't posted or read the China thread for years at this point. And while I am well familiar with the CCP's impotent tantrums, especially regarding Taiwan, I do have to admit feeling uneasy this time. Maybe it's the effect the Ukraine-war has on me. I don't think China will escalate beyond a tantrum, but that's also what I thought about Russia.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I visited the history museum in Taiyuan back in 2015 or 2016 I think. It's a very good museum if you like early Chinese history. Anyway, on the big map showing neolithic settlements around today's Shanxi, of course they included the loving nine dash line lol.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
When I was living in Shanghai there were at least two decent Mexican places, and a couple more mediocre ones. And in Suzhou there was a Nordic restaurant ran by a Finn, never ate there but it had decent reviews by locals.

Edit: I grew up in Norway and never been to Mexico, so I might not be the best person to judge what's good Mexican food.

fish and chips and dip fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 10, 2022

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Malaysia is the only Asian country I've driven a car myself in. I was on Borneo, being used to Chinese traffic I did find the local drivers to be surprisingly chill, the roads were great and gas cheap. I can really recommend visiting Shabah in Malaysia. Never been to KL though, except for the airport.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Visiting Vietnam after having lived in China for a while I didn't find the Vietnamese traffic to pose any issue to me. I also want to concur that Vietnam is a great place to visit.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Central Asia is towards the top of places I want to visit, regret not doing it when I was living in China. Sadly it seems that with a weak Russia it is likely that region is likely to head for instability soon.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

That $3000 was the price from China. I just couldn't do it. I thought about trying to go overland from like Lanzhou to Samarkand but that was daunting even for me.

What we wanted to do was overland from Kashgar or Urumqi to Tbilisi or Istanbul when leaving China, that would be like 3-4 months. Instead we ended up doing South East Asia as well as Egypt, Turkey and some places in Europe for 9 months after leaving China. Amazing trip but I still dream of Central Asia.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Ups_rail posted:

How was south east asia did you go through lao?

No, not Laos we went to Indonesia, Thailand and Singapore, we traveled quite slow and just spent longer time in one place. In Thailand we went to Phuket, Krabi and Bangkok. in Phuket we stayed at a local area and not where tourist were, the food was amazing and when you asked for spicy they gave you exactly what you asked for. No tourist-spicy in that area, as opposed to Krabi. Bangkok was ok, I was very used to large Asian cities by then.

In Indonesia we were in Lombok and Bali. Bali while very touristy was still a really cool place to visit, we stayed in the mountains away from the worst of the drunk and loud crowds of Kuta. Singapore we only did 3 days, it was enough lol.

We also did Taiwan during that trip, while not tecnically SE Asia the east side of the island was amazing, lovely place.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Allegedly happened today in Beijing, near a university. Not confirmed, but my wife who is better updated on what's going on in China seems to think it's legit.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Youth Marxist groups were getting cracked down on in 2019 https://www.ft.com/content/fd087484-2f23-11e9-8744-e7016697f225

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Did this get posted in the belt and road discussion? Italy, the only G7 country part of the belt and road initiative is pulling out.

quote:

Last July, in an interview with Corriere della Sera, Italy’s defence minister, Guido Crosetto, said joining China’s BRI had been a poor decision. “The decision to join the [new] Silk Road was an improvised and atrocious act” that boosted China’s exports to Italy but did not have the same effect on Italian exports to China, he said.

“The issue today is how to walk back [from the BRI] without damaging relations [with Beijing]. Because it is true that China is a competitor, but it is also a partner.”

Crosetto also voiced concerns about Beijing’s “increasingly assertive attitudes”, its ambition to have the largest military presence in the world and its ambitions to expand, particularly in Africa. “They don’t hide their goals. They make them explicit,” he said.

[...]

Italy formally exited the BRI with a letter delivered to Beijing a few days ago, the sources told the Ansa news agency. Rome was required to provide at least three months’ written notice to terminate the accord, thereby avoiding its automatic renewal.

Meloni’s office made no comment when asked about the move on Wednesday and there was no immediate comment from China either.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/06/italy-to-withdraw-from-chinas-belt-and-road-initiative-say-sources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Glah posted:

If someone wants to do a deeper dive into actually good Chinese cinema, good way to do it is to look for directors who get characterized as belonging to "Sixth Generation" of Chinese filmmakers. On average you can be pretty sure that their films have something interesting to say.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_of_China#The_sixth_generation

I don't watch a lot of movies, Chinese or otherwise, but I loving love "Suzhou River" from 1998, written and directed by Lou Ye.