Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

font color sea posted:

traditional chinese medicine

Not enough ground up penises from endangered animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

fish and chips and dip posted:

Status on the feelings of the Chinese people: hurt.

How long until this escalates to the level of “killing”?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

lilbeefer posted:

What is the peanut brittle thing

Before anyone answers that, I want you to ask yourself if you ever want to eat peanut brittle ever again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
“Oh”, I thought, “the peanut brittle story can’t possibly be as bad as I remember!”

Wrong wrong wrong, oh god. I totally forgot about the turdbaby, that made it even worse.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sticksy posted:

"Wet Market."

Looks like the newest Coronavirus sufferer in the US is in Maricopa County, AZ, where I also happen to reside. Been nice posting with you all.

I will be dead and unable to see its glory but hopefully China will finally become #1 by 2025 as planned.

Maybe they’ll end up infecting Sheriff Joe.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

How often does r/sino permaban people? Has anyone ever successfully countered their whataboutism? Must be really godamn annoying.

I got perma’d in one post there, it ruled.

Just say anything about tianamen square and how killing protestors is bad and BAM, perma.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blistex posted:

Made a thread about a coworker in China who was feeling like poo poo, was having pain/trouble breathing, went to the hospital, and they told him he had cancer in both of his lungs, that one needed to come out immediately, and he'd be dead in about 2-3 months.

He flew back to Swamp Germany and they gave him some antibiotics for his infection.

What the gently caress. Do they not biopsy poo poo over there before they just start cutting our lungs?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

EBB posted:

I'll take rice and beans over the veggie omelette any day.

I don’t know who thought anyone would willingly eat the vomelette. Looks like puke, has the texture of puke, tastes kind of pukey.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kharnifex posted:

The PLA rations seem to make the MRE guy sick every time.

I don’t think he got sick from the one that was mostly dense bricks. He did have to chew for like a minute per bite on those though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GotLag posted:

A lovely knock-off with a chip on its shoulder

There’s even a name for that chip on their shoulder, han. I’m sure that chip on their shoulder has a chip on its own shoulder for sharing a name with a Chinese ethnicity.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BrainDance posted:

It's a big country but in my experiences around it, there's not a lot of soap.

Even city run stuff like the train stations, never any soap at all and the squatters get annihilated but people keep using them. Right before this all broke out I was in a terrible bathroom at Zhengzhou East Railway Station, packed with people because of the holiday, and no soap, no running water.

By this time the virus was at least known so you'd think they'd be like "alright well we gotta at least get soap out there" but it didn't happen I guess. It's a big station too, big bathroom, dozens of people going in and out at all times, each with nasty poo poo hands, going around touching whatever they feel like.

It’s even better when you consider the coronavirus can be transmitted through the fecal-oral route!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr. Apollo posted:

Journey to the West transformer concepts

Oh, wow, someone is finally adapting that, huh?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zushio posted:

Isn't that Rainbow Six? I seem to recall a huge disease plot line in it.

And executive orders. He did two Ebola plots in a row because... I’m not really sure why. Dude just loved Ebola, I guess.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stink Billyums posted:

Nearly all good mainland movies are about how miserable China is. Journey to the West

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Isn’t that something that the FDA basically exists to give a nice legal cockslapping to?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

oohhboy posted:

Who is the guy who drank so much Colloidal silver that he turned blue? I remember him looking like the MIB from Deus Ex.

This guy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Escape Addict posted:

I know the clear stuff is some high-proof baiju, which many have said tastes like paint thinner.

This is untrue. It smellslike paint thinner. It tastes like a mix of how a gas station and old socks smell.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheBuilder posted:

What is this intended to shoot down? A Sopwith Camel?

It looks like a 61K, which is a 37mm Soviet anti-aircraft cannon. So things like Stukas, primarily. In the modern day, it’d be used on helicopters/observation planes/maybe low flying CAS planes/lightly armored ground vehicles.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dick Bastardly posted:

never read the China threads before but am now interested in learning about this peanut brittle business

Believe me, you do not want to know more.

Click this if you really, really have to.

Platystemon posted:

Don’t read this if you have a weak constitution.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Bubble tea chat is giving me flashbacks to when I lived in MA and the town I lived in had an inordinate amount of bubble tea shops. Like, places that only did bubble tea. There were something like three on Main Street. I think they’ve died back down to a sustainable level but it was so weird.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

oohhboy posted:

Humane treatment of animals isn't some feel good hippy thing. Animals raised in good conditions are less likely to be diseased and China's conditions are horrific. The wet markets are full of live wild animals from everywhere that would otherwise never meet cross infecting at absurd rates. Things like Ebola comes from bush meat and China keeps diving in head first.

It's not racist when you are pointing out exactly what is happening. That poo poo isn't medicine, it belongs next to Voodoo, radium infused water and snake oil. You apprehensiveness comes from Chinese propaganda framing everything as racist.

Most of Traditional Chinese Medicine isn’t traditional and basically none of it is medicine. You’re right, though, that propaganda frames criticism of it as racist. Someone asked me what they use pangolins for when I mentioned they were a vector, and when I mentioned that they boil the scales in urine and prescribe that for skin conditions, they said I was being racist. That’s literally one of the things they do!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. It is a legitimate factor, though the majority of why China spawns diseases so often is that the southern half or so of China is an excellent climate environment for disease and China is crazy densely populated compared to most places. Outbreaks are also more dangerous in China because it's so well connected to the rest of the world.

The Chinese zoonotic diseases are also usually respiratory, which helps them spread. Africa has a ton of helldiseases that come from animals, but they’re usually things that don’t have nice droplets to spread around. Ebola and Marburg also are basically crippling and when they’re most contagious they’re incredibly visible. You know, on account of the hemorrhages. HIV is probably the most transmissible thing to come from animals and leave Africa, and even that one requires exposure to bodily fluids.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

I wonder why that is, I wouldn't think there's anything special about China's environment that spawns airborne diseases but I don't know enough to say.

Most of the Chinese ones come from bats with some kind of intermediate animal, most of the African ones are simian in origin. Why bats make so many respiratory viruses, that I don’t know.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

My guess is because India is so heavily vegetarian. Something like 40-50% of the population is vegetarian (though some of those aren't strict and also consume dairy/eggs) and even the non-vegetarians don't consume a ton of meat. So I'd presume that means far less contact with animals.

Also viruses don’t like to jump from bovines to people. They have tons of bacterial diseases over there, like TB (that one loves to go from cows to people) and various waterborne stuff but I can’t think of any major viruses from out of there.

Usual virus reservoirs are bats, birds, and swine. I don’t think India has people surrounded by a fuckton of any of those like China does.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

I did not know cow to human was rare. That would explain it too, India has a shitload of dairy farms but not as much of other stuff. Chickens are the one animal all the non-vegetarians are allowed to eat, they're the other most common farm animal there. Not much pig farming in India considering its size.

I racked my brain and couldn’t think of a single viral disease of bovine origin. It’s the damndest thing, people keep so many cows and they have tons of bacterial diseases and even prion ones, but viruses... there’s some but they’re super rare ones like Rift Valley Fever and I didn’t even know that one was bovine until I got to near the end of a journal article. None of their big-ticket ones are viral.

The article, if you’re interested.

Dogmeat posted:

They cluster together at night and some larger colonies are in the tens of millions of bats. Also they sleep above a gigantic pile of poo poo.
Bat guano is actually the starting point for... I want to say it’s Marburg? There’s a cave where a bunch of elephants go to lick salt deposits that’s full to the brim of Marburg-riddled guano. It’s a few dozen tourists, IIRC.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 18, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

Cowpox is viral. Not a common disease at all, though important since the idea of vaccination came from observing people who'd gotten cowpox were immune to smallpox.

You’re right, not sure how I blanked on that one given the etymology of vaccine... the vac part comes from “vaca”, meaning “cow”.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

tractor fanatic posted:

Are you saying the Chinese government knew about this in mid-November?

They ordered a lot of data regarding the virus destroyed in December, so that tracks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

tractor fanatic posted:

Yes, by going back and looking at previous pneumonia cases. Are you saying the Chinese government was able to detect immediately that some unknown pneumonia was a new virus?

It was something they knew they wanted to cover up pretty quick:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chinese-scientists-destroyed-proof-of-virus-in-december-rz055qjnj

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If only we had some way of knowing that eating exotic meat might do something like this:

(from AusPol)

Man, kind of reminds me of this articles headline:
WHO endorses Traditional Chinese Medicine. Expect Deaths to Rise.. Except I don't think anyone expected it would be by pandemic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lazyhound posted:

Don’t hikikomori mostly rely on their aging parents for support? This could devastate the sector.

The F Plus had an episode about NEETs and so many of them were just planning on punching their own ticket when their parents die. It’s grim to think about with this going on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SelenicMartian posted:

Switch to other methods of reporting the deaths. Like Russia, where two people in a COVID hospital have died of *checks notes* a chronic condition, and a cancer.

See also, China reporting less than 200 flu deaths every year.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blistex posted:

The GBS China thread has people who. . .

1. Read about China
2. Understand a bit about its history and culture
3. Can speak/read the language(s)
4. Have actually been to China/Are still in China
5. Have lived in China/Are still living in China
6. Have Chinese family/are Ethnically Chinese
7. Have a Chinese spouse/kid(s)
8. Are not frustrated loners who have manifested their hate of the opposite sex and their parents into some sort of tankie lifestyle.

I think the thread walks the line of being Anti-CCP and the horrible poo poo it does, but avoids the racism of, "All Chinese people are ______ ".* Also the people who were ironically, or actually rooting for "Genocide Xi" and the CCP to rule the world have been either banned, or banned from this thread.

*does not apply to "olds" & "buzzcuts"

9. Heard that if they read it long enough, it would one day cure their crippling addiction to peanut brittle.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blistex posted:

This is the only one that matters...

Also

Don’t forget WHO Endorses Traditional Chinese Medicine, expect deaths to rise.

TCM isn’t even vaguely medicine, it’s basically pure insanity.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

So what they’re saying is saving face has caused this to spread as much as touching face?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BrainDance posted:

I haven't had Tim Hortons in over a decade, has it really gotten that bad?

I know it was never good but Luckin was 'recoil with disgust' bad. It tasted like a fart.

Tim Hortons has gotten really bad. The last time I got a cup it was some unholy trinity of weak, watery, and somehow still super bitter. Imagine if you burnt the poo poo out of a pot of coffee, scraped the leavings off the bottom of the pot, put that in a coffee filter, and brewed coffee with it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bromplicated posted:

Can I get some clarification on the term "tankie"? Google says it's a hardline Stalinist.

There’s a very entertaining/infuriating tankie thread in PYF

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blistex posted:

If their planning is anything like Korea's (South), then I'm guessing a big portion of their defenses is going to be pre-planned areas where PLA troops have to funnel in, get nice and concentrated, then these guys get to work.

It's old-school tech, but there really isn't anything more demoralizing to troops than a precise, coordinated, and concentrated artillery barrage.

The MLRS is also referred to as a “grid square removal system”, since one firing all twelve tubes can completely cover a square kilometer with submunitions.

They usually fire in groups of 3 vehicles emptying 12 tubes.

I have a hard time believing that the PLA, which mostly drills for riot pacification, could withstand that kind of artillery barrage.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I used to live with a paramedic that I worked with and we had many a Saturday morning where we were starting lines on each other. That poo poo is like magic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StevoMcQueen posted:

Welp, take that up with the doctor in A&E that evening, because after the blood was drawn, he came back and told us that my friend's results were consistent with either; a heart attack, a car accident involving crush damage to the torso, or some form of methamphetamine. And since he hadn't suffered either of the first two, that narrowed it down somewhat.

That doesn't make sense, though, they could easily check for meth at the same time they were checking for troponins and give a definitive answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bum the Sad posted:

Nah, anesthesia produces a deep Non-REM comatose like state. You can do most any eye surgery under general, it's just why risk it when its completely not necessary, the eye is pretty easy to numb. The only time I've ever done general anesthesia for eyeball surgery is for like developmentally delayed folk and combative olds.

I use tetracaine drops when I have to get metal shavings out of eyeballs and that poo poo is like magic.