Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Play posted:

Also I'm not sure I understand why every country suddenly feels like it needs 5G. Can someone explain that to me, why everyone is so keen? I feel like just making the existing networks stronger would be pretty okay, or at least waiting until installing 5G isn't so expensive

From my UK point of view it is fear of not keeping up. The government gets endless criticism for not rolling out fiber optics fast enough, for lagging behind on rural 3/4G signal, etc. It is framed as kneecapping businesses outside the big cities.

So if they have a chance to very visibly get in on the ground floor of Hot New Tech poo poo and stick it to the critics, they will.

5G can gently caress right off IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

I wanna say the sum of everything the USA has done over the course of its imperial reign for the last century is worse than China in that regard but that the CCP is worse than even our two lovely neoliberal corporatist slave parties at this given moment in history

Worse because the US has spent more time as top dog perhaps. Give China time it is their turn did u know

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Atopian posted:

It's interesting how the CSPAM thread and the GBS one hit the truth when combined.

"It's ridiculous to think that China deliberately released the virus!"
"It's ridiculous to think that the USA deliberately released virus!"

"It was obvious that the Chinese government would cover things up at the start!"
"It was obvious that the USA would gently caress up the public health response!"

Just amusing how, taken together, the threads provide a decent summary at present.

The answer.... somewhere.... n-no! It can't be!

It can't be in the middle!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Blistex posted:

I'm lumping in anti-vaxers and holistic/homeopathic morons in this group as well (since they see modern medicine and doctors as being evil pawns), which I think probably dwarfs SK's idiot demographic. With the exception of female Rasputin's cult, their CT nutjobs are not the kind of people who actively try and subvert healthcare/education and try and prevent people from seeking actual medical help.

Evangelical 'Christians' tho

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Didn't the homeopathic frenzy start in the states?

Please show respect for 6000 years of traditional medicine

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

I read a study of improvised weapons used by trench raiders in WW1 that suggested an entrenching tool was the most effective (and most gruesome) thing to use. Like, a well aimed blow would smash right through the clavicle into the chest. I get it, plausible deniability. Still, plenty of shovels to go around.

How does that work?
"Sergeant Huang! Pull a truck out of the motor pool and take it to Walmart: bats, nails, hammers. Get something for yourself, too."

I wouldn't be surprised if they are village hicks in uniform who are perfectly used to turning out the ol baseball bat w/ nails when they head off to lynch some local Muslims.

But the most pathetic thing are the comments filled with Chinese and Hindu nationalists cheering on ARE BRAVE TROOPS as they brawl with sticks.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if someone at the rump end of state security has the task of leaning on any famous faces to make sure they're on public record supporting the right side.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's a smart decision - terror works! The human yearning for freedom is hardly a given and easily crushed :thumbsup:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Trash Ops posted:

Taiwan is part of China though

Yeah, the capital province and seat of government

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Some of the later Three Body Problem books were morally uncomfortable in a way that I thought was deliberate. All the 'hard men making hard decisions' parts, particularly the psycho CIA officer and the cannibal spaceship, seemed to be saying that these are the horrible things that are necessary to survive in space, lending support to the alternative in the third book of putting an event horizon around the solar system, forgetting about the always-a-bigger-fish horror of the universe, and living in peace.

But hell, hard men and hard decisions is one of the most potent memetic devices for manufacturing fascists, second only to whatever active measures bullshit is surely behind Qanon.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Or good ol Mass Effect where renegade choices were at least supposed to be brutal but effective ways to git er done.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it as a theme or an honest observation of the real world, but hoo boy some people take way too much pleasure in 'we had no choice - I had to burn down the puppy orphanage to Complete The Mission'.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

barbecue at the folks posted:

The Brits (well, the English, tbf) never got over losing their empire and consequently never tried to become a modern European nation. They are currently enjoying the many consequences of having such a mindset. I'd point and laugh if I wasn't painfully aware of the suffering visited upon many of my friends and family members there rn :smith:

The parallels to the situations of many other contemporary nations overrun by nationalism fueled by historical ressentiment, for example say, China, are pretty obvious.

e: typos and missing words

We have friendly relations with Germany and I have never ever seen a Brit seem genuinely mad at Germany over the war, including grandparents who fought in it???

Even the utter dregs of the Daily Mail will gently mock them for being too organised, or as rivals for the sunbeds on a Spanish beach.

Where in our media are people going 'remember the Blitz never forget, 2000 years of history, Suez belongs to the Empire' etc?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

There is no seething hatred of Germans in the popular British consciousness. I have literally never seen this.

The closest I can think of is Brexit rabble rousing against Europe in general, but even this I have never seen as hatred of individual countries. It normally crops up as resentment of the EU as an institution, referred to as "Brussels" not "Berlin".

My stereotype of a German, which I thought was pretty widespread, is a very organised blonde man (optional moustache) who likes beer and drives a forklift.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I have a theory on Pooh.

I reckon some hotshot foreign affairs linguist heard that poobah is mocking slang for an a self important blowhard leader and decided that Pooh Bear was entirely too close for comfort.

And that young linguist was Albert Einstein, famous Chinese scientist and early adopter of Xi Jinping Thought!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Liberte, Egalite, Do whatever they say

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Oh if the exibition is still on I take it all back, my mistake! :france:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

There has never been an employee named Zhao Lijian in the Foreign Ministry. Trump is a great man but clearly misheard.

WOLF WARRIOR :woof:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I never noticed the difference between 3g and 4g

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

A maverick psyops unit disowned by a military tribunal for bad posts they didn't make.

But if you have tenbux, and if you can find them...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Even if there was dissent against Xi, let's all look to the Middle East for a happy reminder that the human spirit does not cry out for freedom very loud or for very long. Dissent is a solved problem for autocracies, if not for individual revolving door dictators.

If the west fails I don't think anyone will bother to reinvent individual freedom or human rights for a long time.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pretty sure the relevant time frame is after Italy was no longer Roman.

Please stop hurting the feelings of the Chinese people

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

How do these sort of lawsuits work in China? I'm guessing it's effectively a very public petition to an official somewhere (anonymous to all involved), who will basically decide whether it is worth granting?

As I kind of doubt the party will go 'welp you got us' over the letter of the law.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

therobit posted:

Rule of law that is only enforced when it doesn't conflict with party interests is no rule of law at all.

I suppose this was my point, because a very public homophobia case would raise the question of whether the CCP wants its citizens to be homophobic, and whether it wants send the message that naking a public fuss can get the law changed/enforced.

Where is the cut off between actual, everyday law that I'm sure is enforced and political interference?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

See this is what pisses me off when people refer to the UN, or the sanctity of international law. No, nation states are the highest political unit and anything larger is either a very large corporation or paid talking heads riding the think tank gravy train becauase it is convenient for the powers that be.

It doesn't have to be that way, but that is how it is.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

No sir, this is all 100% financed by the native entrepreneurs of the Cayman Islands

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Protest resignation means nothing, they have now given up all bureaucratic ability to stall, resist, shred documents and bail out other pro-democracy activists to the bitter end

E: Actually, hell they've done enough. May as well grab one last headline

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 11, 2020

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

A very hurtful flag

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The scariest thing in that article is China insisting that any future expansion involves a factory "in the West".

It is the same strategy used by terrorists and organised crime, but on a national scale rather than personal. Make anyone who works with you complicit in your atrocities and they cannot criticise you without criticising themselves.

They can't admit to themselves that bad things are happening without accepting their own guilt.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

this is killing

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

And of course modern TCM mysticism boils down to:

More rare = more $$$ = more curative power!

It should unironically be banned just for the environmental impact, instead they have an 'institute' off Trafalgar Square

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Porfiriato posted:

It could all be bullshit. But it also seems like a bit of a self-own to make something like that up, because it suggests that China's doing kind of a poo poo job at safely handling frozen imports if workers slaves keep getting sick.

Amended with the reason for the poor safety procedures

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

let a thousand posters bloom

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Part of the left turning into their own qanon really sucks. You just can't participate in left wing politics anymore without being infested by those people and tankies. I hate it.

Centrist spotted! Grr! I guess you just believe change isn't worth trying!

Now, back to planning - first we'll come for the CLASS TRAITOR teachers...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean the US government funding investigative journalism on countries it doesn't like is so banal it seems downright above board.

The findings are real and the despots are terrible. There's no need to even bother making poo poo up.

IMO it is the same psychology as victim blaming. I don't want to believe that something horrible happened, so see here the villagers are actually terrorists and that's just riot gas not mustard gas (u can tell from some of the pixels...)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Also on my above point, if the blame everything on fake news from the CIA they don't have to deal with the fact that, while the west isn't great, everywhere else is severely worse.

Would you be more comfortable believing a massacre is one of many that your side committed, or that it's made up and never happened?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The Kurds got screwed in the end because the US used them as cannon fodder and abandoned them again. Now they're being bombed by the Turks and have lost miles of territory.

I agree, the US should have continued to support them and intervened further.

But what would we expect from Trump, the preferred candidate of our revolutionary, anti Western comrades in Russia?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ups_rail posted:

Also a Federal judge handling the Epstein poo poo had her husband killed in a shooting where the gunman was a lawyer who was also found dead.

See this is a worrying trend, because presumably there's no evidence or criminal case around this?

But based on poo poo we've read on the internet and on the shitshow that is our media, it's not 'seems to have had him killed' or 'probably had him killed', it is just deemed a cold hard fact that she did it and, and that fact is sent off to fight in internet debates.

Full disclosure a) I don't know the case and b) I believe the burden of proof for sex crimes needs to be massively reduced

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dont Touch ME posted:

Bumping this derail to say nobody but gringos and gringo fetishizers have ever given a single solitary gently caress about latino/latina. Pan-latinism is one of single stupidest concepts that Americans are obsessed with for absolutely no reason. Remove the concept of Latin America from your brain.

Lazio exists and the correct English demonym for its people is still Latin. In Italian they are Laziale, though.

It's because americans couch all their class division in racism, so if you're poor it's because you're black.

Marginalised African - you're black. Marginalised Spaniard - you're black. Marginalised Irishman - you're black.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

America has been part of China for 3000 years, sonething something treasure fleet something something missile islands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

RGB is the ultimate alphabet agency

the PC gamer deep state always wins