Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Does America even have any outstanding territorial disputes? I can't think of any, while I'm not sure China has a neighbor with whom it doesn't. Every country bordering the South China Sea, obviously. Plus India; I think Bhutan has an officially established border with China but the Chinese just keep on building roads through places they agreed were Bhutanese; Russia only ended theirs by just signing over a bunch of islands in the dividing river. I guess they don't have any current or recent arguments with North Korea and the 'stan countries to the west. Not a great ratio.

Despera posted:

I dont think the United States has territorial ambitions in SE Asia. Vietnam for instance seems to believe China has more eyes on its territory than us.

The 9-dash line explicitly claims Vietnamese territory, and Chinese naval and para-naval ships routinely carry out or protect extractive industries in their EEZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Grand Fromage posted:

Taiwan claims all of China,

This is my favorite one, since they occasionally threaten to stop claiming all of China, and China always swears to declare war if they do. :v:

Seriously though, thanks; that’s a good reminder that Mad About Islands is actually pretty normal for the region.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

fish and chips and dip posted:

Wait what? I thought I was knowledgeable about mainland Taiwan relations, but this is the first I heard of this.

The joke is that compromise of the One China Policy is both sides agree that there's one China and disagree on which of them owns the other one. The flipside of Taiwan abandoning its claim to be rightful government of all China is its declaration of independence and separation from the mainland, which obviously the PRC is having none of. It's all stuff you knew about, just read in a deliberately roundabout manner.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

MarcusSA posted:

Honestly the tourism dollars that are lost from this are going to hurt a lot of people.

I was just in Bali and 60-70% of their tourists are from China and that is 0 now. Imagine a country just suddenly losing a huge chunk of its income for months on end.

You're really making me want to get out and travel now, to be honest. Not even the Chinese specifically, but anything that cuts down on tour group types is going to make major tourist attractions way better. Hell, if I'm lucky other countries' tour groups will get paranoid and cancel too.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve heard cruises are pretty cheap now.

You couldn't pay me to take a cruise under the best of circumstances, to be frank. They're just anathema to my travel style/interests.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Just in case anyone's interested, a couple of China academic friends of mine have started up a regular news brief on China issues. They're both Aussies (and if you live in Canberra perchance, you can go meet them as they periodically have discussion nights at a bar there) so there's a slant towards the effects on Australia. They basically email once or twice a week with some news highlights and less-covered things they think are important, and a bit about each.

https://neican.substack.com/ has the most recent ones (click "I want to read it first" under the sign-up form) if you feel like checking it out.

Disclaimer: they didn't pay or even ask me to post about it. I just have been reading it and found some interesting stuff.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

This is a still from the excellent movie "Contagion" where Jude Law plays a snake oil salesman. Don't feel too relieved that it's from a movie though. Actual scammers act exactly like his character. There's already tons of people hawking essential oils, homeopathy, herbs, colloidal silver, etc. as protection from coronavirus, often accompanied by dumb conspiracy theories.

lol did someone post the guy claiming that drinking his special bleach will protect you?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

oohhboy posted:

Why does China even bother having an internet or outside connections if they are just going to keep walling it off and laying death traps everywhere.

How else would they find out what everyone's talking about on WeChat?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

1) make low/zero new domestic cases the sole metric of response effectiveness

2) local officials stop testing people so the number of new domestic cases goes to zero

3) 💀💀💀

4) pandemic control!

"You will always see improvements in exactly what you choose to measure, no more, no less" is one of those really depressing truisms.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Pham Nuwen posted:

i cannot comment as i am not an economist

Pretty solid avatar/post synergy here.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Shadow0 posted:

In lighter news, the cherry blossoms are now in full bloom, and they look beautiful. 🌸

Here in DC they have actually deployed police to keep people away from them lest they lure us out of our social distancing.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Pick posted:

Does anyone know what China thinks of there being a spock hand sign emoji? like do they see this 🖖 and go, what the gently caress? and then if you explained it would they be like, what???

Probably the same thing I think of the 🗿, 🕋, or the super Japanese stuff like 💮, which is nothing and then occasionally "oh yeah, that one exists" when I scroll by it looking for something else. There's so many emoji now that we forget the existence of most of them most of the time.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Pham Nuwen posted:

is that the Kaaba? drat

Yep! There's a few other Islam-related ones scattered around in the library, notably hijabi faces. And outside of the emoji block Unicode has other stuff like the ayah marker ۝ and the word Allah ﷲ

The moai is still the one I find most confusing. Who needs to refer to those on such a regular basis?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

d0s posted:

the moai emoji was to represent the statue in shibuya as a meeting landmark when emoji were way more japan centric. the original ones looked more like the statue iirc.

Oh, that's super interesting. Thanks!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Grand Fromage posted:

My anecdotal experience is a lot of people get the concept of racism and will correctly identify something like "Chinese people are dirty" as racist, but when you then apply that to like, black people or Indians they just go to "but black people actually are inferior and criminals so that isn't racist".

I mean, obviously I get the concept of grievance when I'm aggrieved, but... :thunk:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Nucken Futz posted:

There's another thing about this Covid Wuhan Winnie the Flu that really makes me salty. My favourite band's name and identity is being sullied by those incompetent twats.
There, I said it.

Well, maybe it's your fault for being in a band named "SARS-CoV-2".

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Blistex posted:

Considering how much they want to get back to work and from what he's describing, they're not cutting corners any more.

The people making the test kits have already put their employees back to work, and so may have slightly different priorities.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there is a specific manufactured culture war issue about muslim men and hindu women and alleged forced conversion by marriage

How could you raise this topic and not share the dumb name they gave it: love jihad

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

So is "coup by people who redirect blame outwards and try to establish their bona fides with ultranationalist aggression"; see the Falkland Islands.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

e: you know what, my comment wasn’t nearly funny enough to be that late so I won’t dredge it back up. Continue tea chat instead.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 4, 2023

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

So how does the universality of WeChat work with tourists? Can you get it and set it to draw from a foreign credit card? Is going to China committing to give Tencent direct access to your bank account? Does it need some kind of registration with the government and short term visitors get stuck patronizing only little tourist areas where they still condescendingly accept cash for their inflated prices?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Grand Fromage posted:

You can't use WeChat pay with a foreign bank/credit card, no. I've heard Alipay takes some foreign credit cards, but yeah being a tourist now sounds like an enormous pain in the rear end. One of the many reasons I hate phone pay stuff.

Sounds like their campaign to bring tourism back is gonna go great, then. Thank god a visa is easier to get.

e: I guess the government wouldn't really hate it if tourists only ever came in the form of closely managed tour groups within all-inclusive enclaves.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Mr. Fix It posted:

tag urself. i'm deng xiaoping

I’m the glowering Kruschev(?) attempting to walk off the cover and get away from Stalin

Who’s supposed to be above Gorbachev?

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 13, 2024

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Mr. Fix It posted:

do you mean who's above gorbachev?

Yes! Thank you, my brain was just like “head spot, that was the USSR/Russia change era……. yeltsin?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

I figured they just turned a blind eye to the companies manufacturing the stuff.

I mean, they might be doing that plus having really loving dumb structures for claiming subsidies. I should see if the committee report is posted somewhere.