Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Despera posted:

serpentza and laowhy86 DESTROYED BY some guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9ykiXF1tqg

thanks r/sino

Love the props in the thumbnail.

Missing something, though. Perhaps a skull?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Despera posted:

its a little dickish

Maybe even cigarette lighterish.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Kharnifex posted:

Bystander syndrome has spread to Australia,

Our Enlightened government of cut rate nazis has worked out a deal with China to fly Australian citizens home.

The catch is that they will be quarantined for several weeks on one of our offshore concentration camps.

The second catch is that they will have to pay for the privilege of being quarantined on a hellhole so terrible that the children interred there, some as young as six, self-harm and have suicidal ideations.

And I'm sure the idea that all those inconvenient refugees might catch the coronavirus and die from the near total lack of medical care on the island has never entered our politicians' heads.

EDIT: Sorry, to make a correction - the youngest child interred on the island is four and was born in the detention centre.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 30, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Alan Smithee posted:

Let’s get a :wumao: emote up in here

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 30, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Why do you think they are wealthy???

Monash university? They're cashed up as all hell.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol hungry game.

When your entire dystopian army skips leg day.

Seriously though, what's up with their legs? They are literally shorter than their arms and that's just not right.

Their calves are about the same diameter as their forearms, too and that's even more tragic.

EDIT: And thank you Google, your image search is as helpful as ever.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

On Chinese rations, found the PLAAF one. I'd vaguely heard that the air force was treated a lot better and comparing this one (and it's even a couple years past its shelf life) to the regular rancid PLA ones he's reviewed it's pretty telling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFaO46rZ4uw

I can't remember what thread it was in, but someone explained that having a 'good' military and a 'bad' military is how totalitarian states work.

The ultra loyalists get all the money and the expensive training. In modern militaries, they tend to be the air force because they're already so expensive anyway. Plus every Exalted Leader's failson wants to be a fighter pilot. They're also the ones who are expected to fight to the last because, if the regime falls, they're going to be put up against the wall for all the evil poo poo they did when in power.

Then you have the army of unwashed masses fit only for maintaining internal order and general oppressing in return for the privilege of not starving to death in the winter and dying en masse if there's ever anything like a real war.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 4, 2020

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

D-Pad posted:

On the opposite end of the spectrum to bad chinese bathrooms I went to a club in Shanghai and the bathroom attendant started massaging my shoulders as I pissed in the urinal. I went with it and found it very relaxing.

Is this where we tell you the club didn't have attendants?

D-Pad posted:

I went to a club in Shanghai and got touched up by a pervert while I was peeing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Given how hilariously cutthroat everything is in China, I could totally see someone deliberately infecting a rival factory a month or two after it reopens. It's not like virus cultures are particularly tricky to acquire and store, when 10% of your population has it.

Like they literally did with the African swine fever, except people instead of pigs.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Vegetable posted:

Where the hell are you getting that they've restricted the free movement of physical cash

MarcusSA posted:

Honestly the tourism dollars that are lost from this are going to hurt a lot of people.

I was just in Bali and 60-70% of their tourists are from China and that is 0 now. Imagine a country just suddenly losing a huge chunk of its income for months on end.

So, it's just drunken loving Aussies now?

Which begs the question - are even Chinese tourists worst than Australians?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Shumagorath posted:

Thanks to this thread, 35 years after Remo Williams I've finally realized Chiun is both a racist caricature and extremely accurate.

Thank you for reminding me that movie exists.

Going to go rewatch it now. drat the 80s were a great time for ridiculously awesome movies.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Small blessings, the virus has impacted Chinese industry so much, the pollution has dropped by an incredible amount.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Magna Kaser posted:

Yeah it's similar to why Korea is turbofucked now. A Christian cult with people from Wuhan told everyone they couldn't get sick cuz God loved them.

A cult with a secret membership who still refuse to come forward to say they've been potentially exposed :doh:

Bip Roberts posted:

Was it SARS that the Koreans were super adamant kimchi cured?

If a Korean person does not eat kimchi, they die.

This does not apply to Koreans living in other countries, naturally.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Who's the Irish Gherkin country meant to be?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea being competent is the wild thing. Their government is usually pretty bumbling, this containment is the most impressive thing they've done in a long time.

I'd wager every single person in the government remembers the Sewol ferry disaster very vividly.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Are they having a red egg party? Its usually a month after the kid is born

Congratulations on menstruating again!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Squalid posted:

since somebody mentioned fungus water who's had that weird mushroom juice that comes in a can? Is there any reason to drink besides it supposedly being healthy, because I have a hard time imagining anyone drinking it for the taste.

You mean kombucha?

Smelling it before I tried drinking it was definitely a tactical error on my part.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Mozi posted:

https://twitter.com/ChasMorrison/status/1239655709681299458?s=20

it's going to be very difficult to prevent this from working and the only way to do so would be to suddenly start doing an extremely competent job ourselves

Also, to stop doing poo poo like this:

Trump 'offers large sums' for exclusive US access to coronavirus vaccine

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Weekend at Bernie's multiplied by 14,000,000 Let's DO THIS

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Devils Affricate posted:

Seriously though, what's up with China's latest claim of zero new infections? How would that even be possible given how many infected individuals they currently have? They haven't welded the entire population into their homes, so this just seems like a blatant lie.

General Bullshit > Chinathread: this just seems like a blatant lie.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
If only we had some way of knowing that eating exotic meat might do something like this:

(from AusPol)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Blistex posted:

What a lovely man. Is there a setting in Google so news results exclude certain papers? I would love to stop seeing, "The National Interest" and other clickbait/lovely papers not show up. And ones that require a subscription.

There used to be, but then Alibaba paid Google a shitload of money and they removed it.

But there are personal blocklist extensions out there which do the same thing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Kharnifex posted:

Although it's hard to stomach the zoonotic explanation, if it helps stop pangolins etc being eaten I'll push that narrative

It's not like it came out of nowhere.

https://twitter.com/doctorkarl/status/1241602531366539266

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The US even followed the report's advice and set up a pandemic unit.

Until Trump closed it and fired everyone for not being "loyal" enough.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Shumagorath posted:

At least all the planes are grounded now? Plus: who needs anything exotic when African swine fever is rampant in China and a total fuckin' reaper with 90% mortality? FYI Ebola is around 50%.

poo poo, in all the fuss, I completely forgot we're well on the way to seeing the total extinction of the pig.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Atopian posted:

1: The WHO is clearly owned by China now. I mean they openly bought them and everything. They should be viewed as being as credible as any other organisation that needs to avoid pissing off China.

Whatever do you mean?

quote:

Australia takes aim at the World Health Organisation after it supported the reopening of China's wet markets -despite them being the likely origin of coronavirus

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Magna Kaser posted:

In more china weirdness, an English language Chinese news site writes an article mostly about a grassroots push from everyday Chinese people in Guangzhou to combat racism and help displaced foreigners in Guangzhou and it's for some reason censored and not allowed to run.

Because there is no racism or foreigners in need :china:

Like that guy in r/China who posted pictures of all the homeless people near him and got banned.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Not sure what the ‘Y’ would stand for but they should name the new agency the WHY, and not admit China in it. So they’ll be part of the no-WHY.

World Health Yeet.

"Together we'll yeet disease"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Shumagorath posted:

Your choice of OS doesn't matter if you end up getting questioned in the land of No Why. It barely matters in the west.

"Ah hah, I'll use this obscure Linux distro!"

/Has computer seized by random bored cop, never sees it again/

Please note this applies to drat near any country now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
People are certainly realising that the global economy is based around everything working perfectly and cannot handle anything going wrong - which is why I never liked just-in-time manufacturing in the first place.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

oohhboy posted:

In other news, Sweden is increasingly pissed off with China to the point they have closed all Confucius Institutes and more ties are getting cut.

About loving time. All of those places need to be shut down, all they do is spy on Chinese students and terrorise them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Bum the Sad posted:

Nah, anesthesia produces a deep Non-REM comatose like state. You can do most any eye surgery under general, it's just why risk it when its completely not necessary, the eye is pretty easy to numb. The only time I've ever done general anesthesia for eyeball surgery is for like developmentally delayed folk and combative olds.

Yeah, the eye itself cannot feel pain.

I had a detached retina after a car accident and they had to take samples of my eye fluid which involved sticking a needle into my eye.

It sounds horrific, but I didn't feel anything unless I blinked, at which point I could feel the metal of the needle between my two eyelids.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Alan Smithee posted:

:justpost: white ghosts

Stinky bird-men with giant noses.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Alan Smithee posted:

im genuinely curious if anyone knows where the dark skinned diplomats are from

Maybe they're Dutch.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there is a material risk of getting sick from that yeah, lol

Do they not have refrigerators on your planet?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The Humen Pearl River Bridge in China had to shut down due to winds.

https://twitter.com/cockcrow2019/status/1257623296327049216

Seems they never learned about resonance from the Tacoma Narrows bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Okay, who had "swine flu" for the next pandemic?

Scientists Say New Strain of Swine Flu Virus Is Spreading to Humans in China

quote:

HONG KONG — A new strain of the H1N1 swine flu virus is spreading silently in workers on pig farms in China and should be “urgently” controlled to avoid another pandemic, a team of scientists says in a new study.

H1N1 is highly transmissible and spread around the world in 2009, killing about 285,000 people and morphing into seasonal flu.

The newer strain, known as G4 EA H1N1, has been common on China’s pig farms since 2016 and replicates efficiently in human airways, according to the study published on Monday. So far, it has infected some people without causing disease, but health experts fear that could change without warning.

G4 viruses have all the essential hallmarks of a candidate pandemic virus,” the study said, adding that controlling the spread in pigs and closely monitoring human populations “should be urgently implemented.”

The study, published online in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, is based on the surveillance of pigs in 10 Chinese provinces from 2011 to 2018. In the last three years of the study, researchers collected 338 blood samples from workers on 15 pig farms and 230 from people in nearby households.

The study found that 10.4 percent of the workers and 4.4 percent of the others tested positive for antibodies to G4 EA H1N1, and that workers between the ages of 18 and 35 tested positive at a higher rate: 20.5 percent.

So far it is unknown if any of the infections are from human-to-human transmission.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

DreamScythe posted:

Should have nuked C-SPAM when they nuked FYAD. LF got SA in trouble before, its successor is very much going to do the same thing.

Most of the threads seem okay. The Tesla/Musk mock thread is great. Also, the Trump supporters getting hosed over by Trump thread is purest distilled schadenfreude.

It's just that there are a couple threads where people decide "This thread is my identity now" and poo poo gets stupid. Also, the tankie ghost of Homework Explainer still casts a long shadow in some threads.

Fojar38 posted:

super cool that cspam darlings are forum invading to poo poo out genocide denial and the mods don't seem to care

Casual monsters doing a victory lap so they can show everyone how well they lick boot.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I vote ooohboy.

They've been a consistently interesting poster in this thread.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Mantis42 posted:

The situation in Xinjiang is bad but everything else about PRC is good.

Like the melamine in the baby formula?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just a normal day, loading hundreds of blindfolded people onto trains. Nothing to see here.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/OddballFairGerbil-mobile.mp4