Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Yeah I was asking my FIL the other day about why people are buying snakes and bats and poo poo from markets like that and if it's just poor people who can't afford anything else or what, and he said it's actually only rich people who can afford to eat the exotic stuff anymore. I guess primarily for TCM-type reasons? I don't know, I can't imagine snake tastes good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

I posted in the (understandably) dead China travel thread as well, but I'm going to be in Beijing in a couple weeks for the first time since 2019. Is anyone in this thread in China now? Is there any post-covid cultural stuff to be aware of? Did most of the businesses survive the lockdowns?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I've tried horse a few times a few different ways and just am not a fan. Donkey, on the other hand, is delightful.

I tried donkey thanks to this man and can confirm it is delightful

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

I just left Beijing yesterday. Everything pretty much felt the same as I remembered in 2019. The only problem was we had a kid since then and we kept having to go to family dinners followed by my FIL’s friends taking us out, so I didn’t really get to do anything I actually wanted to do, and two year olds are really not equipped to handle the 3 hour private room dinners. We also had to go to Yangzhou for a weekend to visit a friend of my FIL’s and I swear to god we had the same dinner of boiled goose, lions head meatball, puffer fish, sea cucumber soup three nights in a row and I was starting to hope that they didn’t clean the puffer fish right and it would just kill me. If I post here enough, can I get my visa revoked?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Imperialist Dog posted:

I'll be going there next week. I heard expressvpn no longer works?

Astrill is the one to use now. I also had the ATT international thing where it’s $10/day for LTE and that somehow didn’t seem to be subject to the firewall. Google would take me to Google Hong Kong, but all my stuff worked.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

You can't use WeChat pay with a foreign bank/credit card, no. I've heard Alipay takes some foreign credit cards, but yeah being a tourist now sounds like an enormous pain in the rear end. One of the many reasons I hate phone pay stuff. At least I don't know any other countries that have gone as extreme as China, but Korea and Japan both have their own phone pay systems that you can't access unless you're a resident and if that keeps expanding then ??

When I visited last September we were able to link an American card to both WeChat and Alipay, but WeChat was not super reliable. I think that changed with WeChat in like July or August.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Babel is arguably more kind to China than the west but I can see where the way the other characters treat the main guy would not go over well.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

TrashMammal posted:

tsingtao is real hot now. i’d go with that if you want to make an impression

What’s up with that anyway, I’ve been seeing big Tsingtao displays at Whole Foods and Costco lately. Lucky Buddha is the most fun due to the bottle but if I’m going to drink Chinese piss beer I am partial to Yanjing.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Well that kind of seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

TrashMammal posted:

tickets just aren’t getting cheaper, are they?

We booked some refundable tickets for August for $2500 each just to lock something in. They’re opening like 80 new flights from the US to China soon so I’m hoping they will come down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Kharnifex posted:

No because wrestling is not controlled by the several companies that Koreans are only allowed to buy from etc.

Is that why the Bibigo company is making Kdramas?