Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The Christmas Holiday season may be over but the Super Bowl and Oscars are coming up, two great occasions to throw parties!

Last year for the Super Bowl I made dozens and dozens of drummettes, both Korean double fried and buffalo style. Although wings might come to mind first for the Super Bowl, drummettes are similarly delicious and a lot cheaper, which helps when you’re feeding twenty.

Got any oscar or super bowl plans? Share them, and if you have any questions ask away!

This year I’m skipping the Super Bowl and just doing an Oscars party. I’m repurposing the Wine Santa from Christmas into a Wine Oscar:

It will use a brewing pump to circulate white wine out of its mouth and into a giant bowl, where it will get sucked back up by the pump. Now, the question I have is: should the white wine be chilled? Is regular ice in the bowl a bad idea? Should I double bowl with the wine in the top bowl and dry ice in the bowl below?

Other foods will be your typical crackers bread cheese olives pickles pâté type of deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Grilled

Smoked

Chicken

Wings

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINCH

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
We makin wings baby.

And maybe a cheese and charcuterie platter.

And maybe pullapart bread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you have olives that have been in your fridge more than a year, make a tapenade! Just add anchovy, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
A jar of olives doesn't last long in my fridge. Mmmm

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Steve Yun posted:

Although wings might come to mind first for the Super Bowl, drummettes are similarly delicious and a lot cheaper
Drummettes...are wings

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, but at the store they always label drumettes as drummettes and wings as wings

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Do whole wings.

maybe even turkey wings....

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Let's just share 20 different versions of "buffalo wing dip" that uses canned precooked chicken :barf:

Also drumettes are better for wings imho so I love that they're cheaper. Suck it you bougie bastards now give me cheap beef tongue and ox tails back!

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 29, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, but at the store they always label drumettes as drummettes and wings as wings
When you say "wings as wings," do you mean flats or like the whole actual 3-piece wing? This is wild, in any grocery store I've seen you can buy whole wings and that is it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The middle third is sold as “wings” and the upper third is sold as drummettes. I’ve seen the word “flats” so rarely that I couldn’t even remember when I was struggling with what to call them when I made my previous post

When you go into a wing shop I think everyone just expects flats and that’s all I remember seeing

Whole wings I only see at ethnic markets here in Los Angeles

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 29, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's wild. I wonder if it's an east/west coast thing? I grew up in New England and I live in NYC. Grocery stores just sell whole wings, only nerds know flats vs. drummettes, and if you order wings at a restaurant you usually get a 50/50 split. I like it much better this way -- it would be weird to have only one type. Plus, buying whole wings and breaking them down, I freeze the wing tips to save for stock.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Starting to have serious questions about Wine Santa.

But spinach/artichoke dip.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Onion dip from a packet. Fight me.

I also caved to the sample last at Costco and got teriyaki chicken meatballs.

Will grill burgs and dogs, maybe some brats.

S’mores on the fire pit after.

Super bowl: done.

HomerCSM
Aug 24, 2004

Benjamins for Breakfast
We do a party every year so there are some staples that we just know how to crush early so day of it's cake. I have a newly acquired traeger that has set me on a smoking bonanza/addiction and caused my wife to say "please no more brisket"

That means:
Smoked pork spare ribs
Smoked chicken wings (first try cause I'm too lazy to setup the deep fryer)
Kenji's chicken chile verde (inspired from someone in the dinner thread)
Pico and Grilled Guacamole
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Fresh baked country loaf
Mac and cheese for da kids

Fruit + Tajin
Rice Krispie Treats
Two pies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

queso, queso, queso

HomerCSM posted:

"please no more brisket"

what the gently caress

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Man does not live on brisket alone, but on every barbeque that comes out of the South

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Drink wine from my golden hole

Wine Oscar progress report: it turns out that lycra has pretty good structural strength, so although a hole you make in the fabric will stretch and become bigger, it will stop when its stretchiness reaches its limit and the hole will not keep ripping into a bigger hole. Lycra has about the same tear-resisting strength as t-shirt fabric, so while I used double sided tape to meld it to the mannequin and keep the hole from growing, I probably didn't even need it.

I tried making brows and a nose with cardboard, but was never really satisfied with the results. I guess a mannequin with a built in face would've been ideal.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I didn't have time to make, document and post a chickencheese in time for the Cook or Die thread, but I've got the makings and I am goddamn going to do it for the Super Bowl. Only question is which cheese works best: cheddar, provolone, or gruyere? I may need to experiment.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Meaty Ore posted:

I didn't have time to make, document and post a chickencheese in time for the Cook or Die thread, but I've got the makings and I am goddamn going to do it for the Super Bowl. Only question is which cheese works best: cheddar, provolone, or gruyere? I may need to experiment.

Blend the three with a little calcium citrate.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Steve Yun posted:

Drink wine from my golden hole

Wine Oscar progress report: it turns out that lycra has pretty good structural strength, so although a hole you make in the fabric will stretch and become bigger, it will stop when its stretchiness reaches its limit and the hole will not keep ripping into a bigger hole.

Wine Santa uneasiness is intensifying.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Meaty Ore posted:

The thread is still open you can prob sneak it in late.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Are Coppola wines any good? I was thinking about using them for the wine fountain (Chardonnays on sale 2 for $20) and giving away the Clarets as prediction contest prizes

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Steve Yun posted:

Are Coppola wines any good? I was thinking about using them for the wine fountain (Chardonnays on sale 2 for $20) and giving away the Clarets as prediction contest prizes

They're middling, completely inoffensive wines.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You got a good cheap bulk white wine recommendation under $10?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My chicken wings came out amazing!

Had some issues with a couple of the wing sauces, but the wings themselves were a triumph! I dusted them with salt and baking powder the night before and grilled them with a BBQ Vortex and they came out delicious and crispy as gently caress.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I have decided I will also make some foods from Parasite, so this means chapa-guri (what they called ram-don in the subtitles). It involves mixing Chapagetti (instant jiajiangmien) and Neoguri (instant spicy seafood udon) with sirloin steak.

Also will be making Castella cake from Parasite, a Taiwanese version of a Portuguese soft pound cake

Prize for the winner of the Oscar prediction contest will be George Clooney’s tequila, worth $70!

Second prize will be a Coppola wine.

Third prize is you’re fired

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 5, 2020

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

You got a good cheap bulk white wine recommendation under $10?

If you don't mind sweet and can keep it cold I like New Age White for my cheap party wine needs.

The Red is also good in a "very tasty but grape juice only slightly fizzy and lightly alcoholic" way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btp35DQL8aI

It was a good party, 19 attendees, lots of cheese and crackers, salami and chapa-guri