Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

One time he told a kid that A New Hope was garbage and to watch better movies. He wasn't wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I still don't understand why he was such a shithead about it. Like I get it, we all take jobs to pay the bills, but he was for real pissed the movie did well. I'm guessing it's because he took a flat salary instead of a percentage.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
He did get a percentage if I recall correctly. It was just changed from they agreed upon after it became so successful.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Serious" dramatic actors willing to do genre stuff is a relatively new development (due to the insane amounts of money to be made)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, he did. And now he’s loving dead.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
IIRC he was the one who suggested that Obi-Wan gets killed in ANH, or at least didn't complain when he first saw that in the script.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

"Serious" dramatic actors willing to do genre stuff is a relatively new development (due to the insane amounts of money to be made)

I mean it's super not but ok

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

my dog died im sad posted:

He did get a percentage if I recall correctly. It was just changed from they agreed upon after it became so successful.

It was changed so he got even more money.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Mooey Cow posted:

It was changed so he got even more money.

Hell yeah

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
He thought the script was garbage after the first reading (And during filming) which - tbh if you're a traditional actor acting in traditional things then a wacky sci-fi caper might seem weird - ANH was successful partly because it was a divergence from anything else being shown at the time.

After seeing the premiere, he admitted he had a great time watching the film

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

zoux posted:

it's funny to see the new Hollywood standard career trajectory. You gotta do some 'serious' award contender movies early in your career in order to hopefully land the role of 'Jerbonicus Cranpissus, Space Wizard.' Spend 12 hours a day for 6 months suspended by cables in front of a green screen, repeatedly screaming 'No, Gropanus! We can't let him hold the Dalbomal Crystal!' Then do press all day, every day for 2 months, plastering on a big fake smile to talk about how amazingly creative this film based on a 30 year old series of comic books/children's novels is, and how there's actually a lot of weight and nuance to both the story behind the Dalbomal Crystal Saga and a role like Jerbonicus, in a way that puts the character on a level with the great heroes of classic theater. Do that for a decade before finally breaking down and admitting that the movies were a pain to work on, you need a break, you need to get back to your roots. Go do a few 'serious' award contender movies about bad marriages or the Holocaust or whatever, and begin the cycle anew.

But it's all worth it, because you are insanely wealthy and get to drag the ol' pineapple through mountains of cocaine and the hottest starlets in town.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

my dog died im sad posted:

as he told the story, he was offered a %age, he asked that it be 2%, later was told he could have an extra half per-cent, and when he asked afterward to get it down in writing they were like “oh yeah that .25% we talked about, sure thing”

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Yeah, he did. And now he’s loving dead.

coincidence??

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

He thought the script was garbage after the first reading (And during filming) which - tbh if you're a traditional actor acting in traditional things then a wacky sci-fi caper might seem weird - ANH was successful partly because it was a divergence from anything else being shown at the time.

After seeing the premiere, he admitted he had a great time watching the film

he thought the dialogue was garbage but he said that he couldnt stop reading the script for the story itself

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

it's funny to see the new Hollywood standard career trajectory. You gotta do some 'serious' award contender movies early in your career in order to hopefully land the role of 'Jerbonicus Cranpissus, Space Wizard.' Spend 12 hours a day for 6 months suspended by cables in front of a green screen, repeatedly screaming 'No, Gropanus! We can't let him hold the Dalbomal Crystal!' Then do press all day, every day for 2 months, plastering on a big fake smile to talk about how amazingly creative this film based on a 30 year old series of comic books/children's novels is, and how there's actually a lot of weight and nuance to both the story behind the Dalbomal Crystal Saga and a role like Jerbonicus, in a way that puts the character on a level with the great heroes of classic theater. Do that for a decade before finally breaking down and admitting that the movies were a pain to work on, you need a break, you need to get back to your roots. Go do a few 'serious' award contender movies about bad marriages or the Holocaust or whatever, and begin the cycle anew.

But it's all worth it, because you are insanely wealthy and get to drag the ol' pineapple through mountains of cocaine and the hottest starlets in town.

That's how you make Sir Ian money

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Squizzle posted:

as he told the story, he was offered a %age, he asked that it be 2%, later was told he could have an extra half per-cent, and when he asked afterward to get it down in writing they were like “oh yeah that .25% we talked about, sure thing”

Here he is telling the story btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IxN0N35skE

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
We can change history right now and everyone here can start giving me all their money in exchange for me doing nothing.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

JethroMcB posted:

yeah it's kinda funny, you get Serious Mega-Rich Actor/tress all lining up to play Generic Marvel/DC Batman Superman James Bond Iron Man Captain blahblah and then they do it and immediately each and every single one turn around and say how awful it was and such a mistake to do it... and then do it all over again

like one thing to get an unknown guy in there whose career is weak and starting off and needs the big break, and they later turn to hate all the fandoms/nerds and fame that comes with it but hey at least they're now worth 50 million $ and have a famous resume.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Squizzle posted:

he thought the dialogue was garbage but he said that he couldnt stop reading the script for the story itself

Yeah that sounds about right!

Alec hating Star Wars is just a meme, nothing else

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Xaris posted:

yeah it's kinda funny, you get Serious Mega-Rich Actor/tress all lining up to play Generic Marvel/DC Batman Superman James Bond Iron Man Captain blahblah and then they do it and immediately each and every single one turn around and say how awful it was and such a mistake to do it... and then do it all over again

I get why they come back, though; by that point they've typically hit an age where now they have to either play a mentor or a villain, which means they have like half the screentime at best and get to go as big as they want

No more insane workout regime and studio-mandated diet, they get to smoke a bowl and hang out by crafty all day until they get to come ham it up, yelling at a tennis ball knowing that none of this poo poo matters

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never heard anyone bitch about being an MCU actor. Maybe that's because they know what's good for 'em or maybe it's because it's more acceptable to do "trash" movies now.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Disney probably has a standard clause in the contract that allows them to sue/murder actors if they disparage the movies they were in.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Yeah that sounds about right!

Alec hating Star Wars is just a meme, nothing else

he wasnt happy that it was the only role most people seemed to know him for

which is fair, even if a bit snooty!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The thing I always heard was that some lady came up to him and said Star Wars were her son's favorite movies and he was like "Nooooooo"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mooey Cow posted:

Disney probably has a standard clause in the contract that allows them to sue/murder actors if they disparage the movies they were in.

Mark Hamill I would think would have been picked off by Mickey Mouse by now, but I have no doubt this is true for most actors.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

zoux posted:

I've never heard anyone bitch about being an MCU actor. Maybe that's because they know what's good for 'em or maybe it's because it's more acceptable to do "trash" movies now.

iirc robert downey jr, christian bale and a few others have said they hated it, daniel craig absolutely hated playing bond (as did connery), but yeah I'm sure there's a bunch of NDAs and non-disparagement clause

tbf i have no idea why they need ~STAR POWER~ to begin with, people just want to find escapism and watch big explosions with man/woman in Full Body Vigilante Costume do a vigilantism to own da criminals, could really just be about anyone moderately attractive.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He just wasn't smart enough to know how good they were, also he's elitist

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zoux posted:

Idris Elba

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I think he was just pissed off when he realised he was always going to be remembered as that guy from the dumb kids movie and not any of the serious acting work he did

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xaris posted:

iirc robert downey jr, christian bale and a few others have said they hated it, daniel craig absolutely hated playing bond (as did connery), but yeah I'm sure there's a bunch of NDAs and non-disparagement clause

tbf i have no idea why they need ~STAR POWER~ to begin with, people just want to find escapism and watch big explosions with man/woman in Full Body Vigilante Costume do a vigilantism to own da criminals, could really just be about anyone moderately attractive.

I don't think RDJ hates the movie franchise that made him a household name and tip top A lister after almost being dumpstered by his rep, but if you've heard otherwise

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Alec Guinness hating SW is pretty fair because it became the main topic of discussion for much of his life. My mans was in Bridge On The River Kwai and everyone wants to chat about some poo poo he did cos he thought it’d be fun.

2.25% though. Pretty sure that included merchandise.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Apparently James Earl Jones only got 7000 for a new hope and regrets not taking a percentage to this day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I view actors who became completely famous because of one role, an absolute dream of the thousands upon thousands of failed actors throughout history, like Soft Cell refusing to play Tainted Love live.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He was a huge name before SW.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I personally always think it's kinda cool when people poo poo on the fans

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like what are the fans gonna do about it

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

zoux posted:

I view actors who became completely famous because of one role, an absolute dream of the thousands upon thousands of failed actors throughout history, like Soft Cell refusing to play Tainted Love live.

Eh, when that roll came at 63, after a long and award winning career, I can see why. Unlike Soft Cell it's not the roll that made him, even if it's the most endurent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't mean specifically Alec Guiness I mean more broadly the actors-mad-about-being-Batman or whatever

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Xaris posted:

Hell, isn't that how guys like Connery and Ford got big in the first place? My understanding is they got initially cast largely by looking good in the right place at the right time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Mooey Cow posted:

Somebody forgot to tell Oscar Isaacs.