Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Star Wars comics are cool sometimes.

Marvel recently relaunched their Star Wars line to bring all the series to be post Empire Strikes Back

We've got the main book

Star Wars by Charles Soule and Jesús Saiz

quote:

"No - I am your father." In the wake of the events following The Empire Strikes Back, it is a dark time for the heroes of the Rebellion. The Rebel fleet - scattered following a disastrous defeat at the Battle of Hoth. Han Solo - lost to the bounty hunter, Boba Fett, after being frozen in carbonite. And after being lured into a trap on Cloud City and bested in a vicious lightsaber duel against the evil Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker - learned the horrible truth about his past. Vader did not kill Luke's father Anakin--Vader is Luke's father! Now, after narrowly escaping the dark lord's clutches, and wounded and reeling from the revelation, Luke, Princess Leia, Lando Calrissian, the Wookiee Chewbacca and the droids C-3PO and R2-D2 must fight their way back to the Rebel Alliance—for the fate of the entire galaxy is at stake! After so many losses is victory still possible? But, what Leia, Luke and their ragtag band of freedom fighters do not realize is that they have only traded one Imperial trap for another! Enter the cunning and vengeful Imperial Commander Zahra, at the helm of the Tarkin's Will! Writer Charles Soule (DARTH VADER) and artist Jesus Saiz (DOCTOR STRANGE) are taking us all to the galaxy far, far away next year! With covers by RB Silva (POWERS OF X)! THE GREATEST SPACE ADVENTURE OF ALL TIME…BEGINS THIS JANUARY!

Darth Vader by Greg Pak and Raffaele Ienco starting Feb 5th

quote:

"JOIN ME, AND TOGETHER, WE CAN RULE THE GALAXY AS FATHER AND SON!" THE TRAGEDY OF DARTH VADER CONTINUES! In the shattering climax of The Empire Strikes Back, Darth Vader infamously reveals his true relationship to Luke Skywalker and invites his son to rule the galaxy at his side. But Luke refuses -- plunging into the abyss beneath Cloud City rather than turn to the Dark Side. We all remember Luke's utter horror in this life-altering moment. But what about Vader? In this new epic chapter in the Darth Vader saga, the dark lord grapples with Luke's unthinkable refusal and embarks on a bloody mission of rage-filled revenge against everything and everyone who had a hand in hiding and corrupting his only son. But even as he uncovers the secrets of Luke's origins, Vader must face shocking new challenges from his own dark past. Writer Greg Pak and artist Raffaele Ienco unleash Darth Vader on his dark quest of vengeance and discovery this February! With covers by InHyuk Lee!

Bounty Hunters by Ethan Sacks and Paolo Villanelli starting Mar 4th

quote:

"VALANCE'S FIRST APPEARANCES, ALSO AVAILABLE…" "NEVER BETRAY A BOUNTY HUNTER – ESPECIALLY IF IT'S BOBA FETT!"

Years ago, VALANCE and fellow bounty hunters BOSSK and BOBA FETT took on a mission that went sideways in a bad way after Valance's mentor, NAKANO LASH, violently betrayed them. Valance's team barely escaped with their lives. He never thought he'd face his old mentor ever again…until Lash finally resurfaces under mysterious circumstances. Every bounty hunter in the galaxy wants a piece and Valance is hell-bent on getting to the prize first. He has score to settle—but so does Boba Fett!

ETHAN SACKS (OLD MAN HAWKEYE and GALAXY'S EDGE) and PAOLO VILLANELLI (VADER: DARK VISIONS and JEDI FALLEN ORDER - DARK TEMPLE) are teaming up to bring you the bounty hunter adventure you've been waiting for this March!

Doctor Aphra by Alyssa Wong and Marika Cresta starting April 1st

quote:

NEW CREW, NEW MISSION! With the Rebel Alliance back on the run after their defeat at the Battle of Hoth, it's never been a more dangerous time for outlaws, scoundrels and the errant rogue archaeologist to make their way in the galaxy. But after a string of bad luck and near escapes, DOCTOR APHRA is back on the job! She's been keeping a low profile – jobs are scarce and credits scarcer. But the promise of the score of a lifetime is a chance too good for her to pass up. And to find the cursed RINGS OF VAALE, Aphra will need a crew of treasure hunters the likes of which the galaxy has never seen before! But RONEN TAGGE, heir to the powerful Tagge family, also has his eyes on the prize. Do Aphra and her team stand a chance at fortune and glory?

A lot of the Marvel Star Wars comics from 2015 onwards are at least readable. The main series, both Darth Vader series, Doctor Aphra, and the Lando, Han Solo, Darth Maul, and Anakin & Obi-Wan minis are highlights.

Dark Horse was the previous publisher of Star Wars comics and they have plenty of cool stuff like the Republic and Empire comics and my personal favorite Star Wars Tales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I recently read the first Vader collection, the one set immediately after Revenge of the Sith, and loved it, great art and fight scenes and I loved how well it captured Vader’s character. The second collection just came in today and it looks like it picks up after ANH? Is there a time skip or did I get the wrong one?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You might have gotten the wrong.

The one you were reading was by Charles Soule which is entirely after Revenge of the Sith. The one by Kieron Gillen is after A New Hope. They're both good, but very different looks at Darth Vader.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Jedi VS Sith (yes the one with the Satyrs and flying sailing ships) is the best piece of Star Wars ever released outside the movies. I say this unironically and with complete seriousness. Instead of copying the movies aesthetic like a hack, it actually asks "How do we portray the ancient times of a setting that is already a fantasy setting in space?" and runs with it. It legit feels "ancient" instead of KotOR deciding everything has been exactly the same for ten-thousand years. Plus it actually has something to say about Star Wars metatextually without disrespecting it. It's everything The Last Jedi wanted to be but failed at.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

they brought back valance the hunter?????

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Jedi VS Sith (yes the one with the Satyrs and flying sailing ships) is the best piece of Star Wars ever released outside the movies. I say this unironically and with complete seriousness. Instead of copying the movies aesthetic like a hack, it actually asks "How do we portray the ancient times of a setting that is already a fantasy setting in space?" and runs with it. It legit feels "ancient" instead of KotOR deciding everything has been exactly the same for ten-thousand years. Plus it actually has something to say about Star Wars metatextually without disrespecting it. It's everything The Last Jedi wanted to be but failed at.

the tales of the jedi comics were a buncha miniseries from the 1990s. knights of the old republic takes its name from one of them. the comics went hard for a b-movie bronze age look, where you could look at any establishing shot and know that, somewhere in that world, a priest was plunging a wavy dagger into someone tied to an altar inside a ziggurat, in between two huge obelisks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Star Warriors" should have caught on more

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thanks for making this thread OP. I'll add that if you wanna check these out most of them are on Marvel Unlimited so you can do the free trial thing and see if you're into them. My account has lapsed but I believe it includes all the Dark Horse stuff, as well as the 80's Marvel SW stuff.

Disney relaunched SW comics in 2016 with two titles, the main Star Wars one and the Darth Vader one, and put their top talent on the books. I can't speak to the latest relaunch stuff, beyond recognizing the very good creative teams, but those two launch titles were outstanding. Jason Aaron wrote and John Cassaday drew Star Wars and Kieron Gillen wrote and Salvatore Larocca drew Darth Vader. Both books crossed over in a mini-event called Vader Down that was extremely well received. They take place immediately after ANH.

There are also some minis, a Chewbacca one with an ok story but beautiful art by Phil Noto and an excellent Lando five-issue mini written by Soule, who's on the current SW book.

It can be daunting to look at a pile of 300 books and have no idea where to start, but I can't recommend those two launch titles, and DV in particular, enough. I've read a lot of the Dark Horse stuff too and can give qualified recommendations for some of them.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 31, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Has there been a Star Wars Vs. Aliens and/or Predator yet?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Roth posted:

You might have gotten the wrong.

The one you were reading was by Charles Soule which is entirely after Revenge of the Sith. The one by Kieron Gillen is after A New Hope. They're both good, but very different looks at Darth Vader.

Thanks for the clarification, I think I tracked down the right volumes to continue Soule’s story. I’m sure I’d have ended up buying the Gillen ones after finishing Soule’s anyway so no big loss, but I really enjoyed the immediately post-ROTS setting and seeing Vader growing into his OT role

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Squizzle posted:

the tales of the jedi comics were a buncha miniseries from the 1990s. knights of the old republic takes its name from one of them. the comics went hard for a b-movie bronze age look, where you could look at any establishing shot and know that, somewhere in that world, a priest was plunging a wavy dagger into someone tied to an altar inside a ziggurat, in between two huge obelisks

Oh I adore TotJ too, and part of it is it also actually got creative with it's "Bronze Age in Space" visual style. I just really like Jedi vs Sith.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Squizzle posted:

they brought back valance the hunter?????

Feh, everyone knows Baron Tagge is where it's at.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

galagazombie posted:

Oh I adore TotJ too, and part of it is it also actually got creative with it's "Bronze Age in Space" visual style. I just really like Jedi vs Sith.
TotJ is great, and it's a shame the visual style in KotOR is just "regular Star Wars but everything looks a bit older". I understand why LucasArts/BioWare went for that kind of safe presentation instead of TotJ weirdness, because I'm sure it would've been a lot more palatable for casual audiences who wanted a cool Star Wars RPG with laser swords and pew-pew guns.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Some of the first comics I ever actively sought out were the Star Wars Empire and Republic comics, specifically starting with this issue

It just tells a story about low ranking Imperials getting sent out to conquer a planet and getting hosed by the native aliens, which I thought it was cool to see a story about guys in the Empire who were basically there as part of a job where that was their only real option.

My real fondness for Darkhorse Star Wars comes from Star Wars Tales which was an anthology series of canon and non-canon stories that run the gambit of creators that you might not really expect to see on Star Wars. There's an early story by Garth Ennis that's just about that Stormtrooper that gets killed on the Tantive IV in ANH. Then there's really silly stuff like George R Binks which has to be read to be believed: https://imgur.com/gallery/iwOg6

If you get Marvel Unlimited, definitely check it out, because it has some crazy stuff in it, and it's a pretty short read at 22 issues. This is also the series where the red Astromech being a force sensitive that saw a vision of how much R2 would do with Luke came from.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The manga is the best one

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pick posted:

The manga is the best one

close, its the comics by jo duffy and cynthia martin, 2 ladies who watched every piece of 1970s anime they could get their hands on, and then made star wars comics

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
With Palpatine’s return in RoS being so dumb, I’m curious to know whether Dark Empire was part of the “good” EU. That’s where they had the clone Palpatines, the Eclipse, and the World Devastators, right?

Most of my EU knowledge comes from video games and the Guide to Vehicles and Vessels from the 90s.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

With Palpatine’s return in RoS being so dumb, I’m curious to know whether Dark Empire was part of the “good” EU. That’s where they had the clone Palpatines, the Eclipse, and the World Devastators, right?

Most of my EU knowledge comes from video games and the Guide to Vehicles and Vessels from the 90s.

de1 was fun

de2 had powerful Obligatory Sequel energy

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Dumb question but re the Dark Horse stuff - I do have Marvel Unlimited, how does it denote Marvel vs DH stuff or is it just obvious that anything up until Marvel got the rights back is part of that?

Also, I was going to ask somewhere else but is there anything good comics-wise, EU or otherwise, about Order 66? I just finished SW: Jedi: Fallen Order and it’s piqued my interest again in other tales of what happened when it all went down.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

sticksy posted:

Dumb question but re the Dark Horse stuff - I do have Marvel Unlimited, how does it denote Marvel vs DH stuff or is it just obvious that anything up until Marvel got the rights back is part of that?

Also, I was going to ask somewhere else but is there anything good comics-wise, EU or otherwise, about Order 66? I just finished SW: Jedi: Fallen Order and it’s piqued my interest again in other tales of what happened when it all went down.

I'd just look at release date listed. Anything before 2015 os Darkhorse.

The Darth Vader series by Charles Soule is post ROTS and is mostly about Vader hunting down jedi.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

if the 1977-86 marvel star wars is available, it is super duper worth checking out

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, that era has a bunch of really weird stuff in it due to coming out atbthe same time as the original trilogy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Post bishounen chewbacca

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

alexa,

Pick posted:

Post bishounen chewbacca

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pick posted:

Post bishounen chewbacca

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
I really enjoyed the Star Wars Legacy series set way in the future too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GeauxSteve posted:

I really enjoyed the Star Wars Legacy series set way in the future too.

The one with Cade Skywalker and Darth Krayt?

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

zoux posted:

The one with Cade Skywalker and Darth Krayt?

yeah! Love seeing Luke's great grandson addicted to drugs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It was literally deathsticks wasn't it? I liked the Sith politics and some of the character designs in that one but it's very "Fred Durst from 1999 wrote this"

Ezis
Oct 10, 2001

New Darth Vader series written by Greg Pak started today, I liked it. I'm assuming that was a handmaiden at the end.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
When I was a small Thermos in I want to say the early to mid 90s, I had a TPB that was clearly a collection of Star Wars comics centered around the adventures of Luke, Han/Chewie, and Leia that didn’t tell any of the stories from the OT. I want to say the setting was post-RotJ but I’m not certain about that. Anyway I remember it being really cool and I haven’t been able to figure out what it was, any ideas?

If it helps I remember there being a blurb/review excerpt on the back cover talking about how you should “go read Proust” if you wanted deep thinking but these were great if you just want really good entertaining stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

do you remember anything about the style, story, or characters outside of the core crew?? even just describing the art style could help