Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

1) Bernhard

2) Saunters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

So please correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what I'm understanding about the first three primaries right now:

Iowa: Nobody really knows, it's probably going to be one of Biden or Sanders, and which it is will depend largely on if the expected increase in young and first time caucus goers pans out or not.

NH: Bernie is going to win unless the polls are completely hosed.

Nevada: If Bernie wins Iowa and NH, the momentum could swing Nevada his way. Otherwise it's probably going to go to Biden.

Super Tuesday: :supaburn: Unless a candidate (again, probably Bernie or Biden) manages to sweep all three of the above and build enough momentum to look like the clear front runner.

I am cautiously optimistic about Super Tuesday based on the latest polls, but so much is going to happen between now and then.

Also, South Carolina is one of those things, and it's a relatively safe Biden state.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nairbo posted:

Warren is a loving idiot and her advisors are even more dumb

The crazy thing is that she's actually a pretty intelligent person. She's been getting poisonous advice for months now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bad pollster... BUT.... good poll!?

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1223124938812358657

(last month they had Biden 30 Sanders 20 Warren 16 Bloomberg 8)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

That poll is from the 16th. Don't they usually get released within 24 hours?

It's pretty common for polls to be a few days old at release. For whatever reason a couple have been released really late recently.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

More good movement. This has always been a rough pollster for Bernie.

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1223279008890138625

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah the Democrat brand is dogshit it's why it's weird anyone thinks "but he's not a Democrat!" is a negative.

TBF it's still a potential negative during the Democratic Primary in states where independents are excluded.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lol they're shoving out Yang and pulling in Bloomberg.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

They change them every debate

All of the previous debates had an individual donor number requirement. Lowering or removing any threshold at this point is a bizarre move. The only real explanation is that they are opening the door for Bloomberg.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Eminai posted:

TBH it should just be a delegate requirement, but then they wouldn't be able to give Bloomberg free publicity.

Anyone with delegates should get in for sure, or anyone who looks likely to win delegates in NV or SC.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I get everyone hates Bloomberg, but it is actually weird that he's been excluded so far. A candidate polling as well as he is would not be excluded in any year other than this one. The donor requirement was always arbitrary and existed solely to try and make the debates watchable by removing some chaff. It doesn't make any sense post-NH when the stage will be much smaller anyway.

Bloomberg is rising because he can spend millions in positive ads while never facing any remotely hostile questions or scrutiny. Him being in a debate isn't a bad thing.

He excluded himself by choosing not to compete in the race for whatever reason. He always has the option of not attending any debate he qualifies for, so I'm not sure how much I buy into the "ACTUALLY, this is a negative for Bloomberg" narrative. He could choose to show up at a debate and just suicide bomb the progressive candidates, for example, with no regard for his own viability. He shouldn't have that opportunity unless he's really competing.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyway, I think the new debate rules are insipid from the perspective of fundamental fairness, BUT I also think they may be a tactical win for Sanders. Yang is effectively forced off stage and Bloomberg presents an ideal punching bag, plus Pete and maybe even Klobuchar can continue splitting the moderate vote if they notch even a single delegate.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bloomberg attending the DNC's "Nevada Debate" without campaigning there or even bothering to get on the Nevada ballot is some hellworld poo poo. Thankfully, Bernie has hellfire immunity and a yuge damage multiplier against billionaires.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I don't think "really competing" is measured by whether you take donations or compete in the first four. His campaign staff is a massive, extremely well-paid army. He's spending millions on ads and he's a solid 4th in the polls - and rising. That seems like competing by any standard. I think he's like a 1% chance of winning the nomination but he's going to rack up delegates which is more than you can say about Amy Klobuchar or Andrew Yang.

It's the Nevada Debate and he's not on the ballot there. If you polled Democrats nationwide about Michelle Obama she would also hit a 10% cutoff, but that doesn't mean she's "really competing." This whole thing is insane.

In any case, the DNC debate cutoff doesn't consider campaign employees or other campaign expenditures. He would be in with or without those.

Also, I genuinely think Klobuchar has a better shot at winning the ultimate nomination, albeit still sub-1%. Bloomberg is widely disliked by Democrats!

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 31, 2020

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

kidkissinger posted:

totally anecdotal, but all my marxist leninist friends are actually talking about voting in the primary for bernie. it's wild since they have been super harsh on electoralism in general, especially after 2016.

Please push them to vote. Bernie is the US left's best shot in decades at, well, anything, really.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CubanMissile posted:

Did the FEC deadline already pass?

Not yet!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

oxsnard posted:

Wonder how much did Bernie raised this month. I would assume 10-15 million

My guess is $15m-$20m range.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Project Ratfuck may already be underway.

DES MOINES, Iowa — A small group of Democratic National Committee members has privately begun gauging support for a plan to potentially weaken Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign and head off a brokered convention.

In conversations on the sidelines of a DNC executive committee meeting and in telephone calls and texts in recent days, about a half-dozen members have discussed the possibility of a policy reversal to ensure that so-called superdelegates can vote on the first ballot at the party’s national convention. Such a move would increase the influence of DNC members, members of Congress and other top party officials, who now must wait until the second ballot to have their say if the convention is contested.

https://t.co/7Ppot08hlM?amp=1

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Warren's biggest self-own was almost certainly the "I support M4A but I don't support the payroll taxes required to fund it and no I can't tell you what we're going to do instead" thing that played out over a couple debates and news cycles in the fall. She got her pie eaten by PETE of all people. It's all been a slow drift downhill since then, and in recent weeks she's resorted to increasingly self-destructive tactics (the "Bernie is sexist" leak, the pivot to more idpol and less "big structural change" in voter outreach in Iowa, etc.)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Perez trying to get out in front of the ratfuck story.

https://twitter.com/TomPerez/status/1223386600555646979

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

Warren's cash on hand seems low for this early in the primary.

https://twitter.com/GingerGibson/status/1223405445890658304?s=19

Every non-billionaire campaign's COH looks a bit low. Bernie is better off but not exactly swimming in dough. I'm hoping his January numbers are impressive; we goons are certainly doing our part.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyone know what time the Selzer poll hits tonight?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

Not gonna lie I’m getting really nervous about Iowa. At first I’m thinking that Bernie has it in the bag but now I’m wondering if all the olds are gonna panic and go Biden or Warren at the last minute because of this stupid electability argument.
I’m seriously fed up with it. It’s dumb there’s no electability for these idiots. Anyone who spends 5 minutes watching Biden can see he’s offering nothing to nobody. Who the gently caress takes an hour of their day to enthusiastically support this clown?

Make some calls if you're worried. No use trying to read the tea leaves.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

These loving people say Bernie sorters are the ones in a cult

This guy also trolled a Biden event. It's not clear if someone is paying him or if this is just his idea of a good time.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

reignonyourparade posted:

18-34: Bernie 40% Biden 17%
35-49: Bernie 18% Biden 17%
50-64: Bernie 23% Biden 22%
65+: Bernie 26% Biden 27%

Folks, the washington Olds are less bad than other Olds.

Check the other crosstabs, too. Bernie's West Coast coalition is insanely diverse.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

What. This is my whole evening you fucks!!!

E: oh, nothingburger

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FUCKkkkkkkfdas;;dgasfhaw i have like 20 tabs open for predictit!!!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BIGLY RIGGED!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

im betting the Pete folks threatened a lawsuit

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

Nobody can possibly cowardly enough to avoid the dumbest, most baseless lawsuit this side of one of Donny's lawyers.

this is CNN we're talking about

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

From Patrick Murray at Monmouth:

https://twitter.com/PollsterPatrick/status/1223791180376346625

Holy mackerel! This is weird. And I say this from experience. I was in our field house on last night of our Iowa. Happened to be standing behind one interviewer who did not read all the names on screen. By time I got to the control room, the supervisor already flagged that interviewer and pulled her off for retraining. It was the beginning of the shift, so we only had to delete that one interview. But we’ve also had data come back at the end of the night where we can see unusual trends in a particular interviewer. There is plenty of opportunity to replace those interviews if that is the problem. If it is a programming issue that should have been picked up fairly quickly. As I said, it is weird to bag an entire poll rather than just extend field for a day.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

that's absolute bullshit

edit: and even if it was true it wouldn't actually hurt bernie sanders because the delegate value of each caucus is determined months in advance, and it's the same even if only 1 person shows up

apparently it's sort of true but relates to only a single location where litigation was threatened by neighboring businesses or something

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

A number of sources are saying this DMR leak is correct now:

Bernie 22
Warren 18
Pete 16
Biden 13
Klobuchar 13

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

rscott posted:

The only person I've seen on Twitter posting that is Cenovich so I am skeptical

Arjav (the poll leaker guy) said those numbers were correct, though apparently he only saw the top four results

Nate has also effectively confirmed that he's seen the leak and that it is consistent with prior results (but he hasn't confirmed these specific numbers):

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1223986454797438976

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

zimbomonkey posted:

As I understand it caucuses don't start until 6 p.m. anyway and everything is so fluid it's not super useful getting real-time feedback. That said I'm going to be following it like a hawk because I'll be stuck in bumfuck New Jersey with nothing better to do

The caucuses don't actually "start" until 7 pm Central time (BUT anyone who intends to caucus should be there at roughly 6 pm). Results should roll in a few hours after.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Civiqs Iowa results over time, with movement:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Why am I still antsy about all this? I have a good feeling about Bernie but I'm wracked with the weight of the world upon tomorrow night's caucus, as if it'd make or break his campaign.
What is my contigency plan if Bernie ends up 2nd in Iowa? There's 28 hours left before showtime and I have an interview the morning after. Am I going crazy to think about this now?

Because we are on the brink of an incredibly momentous contest with so much on the line, and we have a real shot but the forces arrayed against us are both shadowy and formidable.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Spiffster posted:

That loser wanting to hop in would cost him millions of dollars at Bank of America so it’s not gonna happen.

He's also blown roughly 69,000 deadlines... which he should probably know about without having to call anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

gently caress yeah Bernie! When do results start rolling in?

Roughly 9pm Eastern