Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
After Bernie wins Iowa, can we get "Yeah, good. Ok" as the thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

On the one hand, I'm glad the Klobocop stuff is coming out to curb the threat of Klobmentum (and more importantly reveal how terrible she is). On the other, I hope it doesn't hurt her too much so she can still dilute the centrist vote a little longer.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

First election at '08 here and in the 1% of millennials who have voted every major election since eligible. Even though I was never enthusiastic about either party, I still believed it was my civic duty (like a dweeb). Never found either party appealing, but I knew Republicans were a dumpster fire enough to vote against them whenever possible. The one and only time I purposely voted R was for Ron Paul (yeah yeah, but he was anti-war/surveillance). I knew instinctively Dems were mostly full of poo poo, but couldn't really understand why until I started getting exposed to leftist critique in the past ~5 years. By default, I still voted D because at least they weren't openly hateful and anti-science. I still never registered Dem and didn't like going by labels, as liberal and conservative were the only choices I knew. Now, I happily would label myself leftist, and if the leftist wing takes control, even register as D.

Bernie is the first politician whose intentions and ability I actually believe in. He's the first to get me to donate abandonedly and even go out in public to support. I wish I had looked more into him in college, when I first looked up how many independents there were in congress and he made a blip on my radar. Mostly for the hipster cred, but also to have developed my ideology sooner.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

This could only hurt Bernie if Kerry goes after him, and poof, there goes the critical people-who-give-a-gently caress-what-Kerry-has-to-say vote.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Maybe Pete was polling behind Yang, but it was a strong polling behind Yang

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

So how does the viablity stuff work? Like if a candidate isn't viable at one precinct by even one vote, they just lose all those potential votes (likely to someone else)? Even if the precinct next door has them well above the threshold?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Since actual Cherokee people were telling her she was full of poo poo as early as 2012 and she responded by calling them GOP operatives, I would suggest the benefit of the doubt should not be extended.

I've heard about this in several places, but can't seem to find a source. I don't doubt it, but I'd like to have a legitimate article handy in case I ever get into an argument with a lib.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Elections/Senate/2012/0602/Cherokees-hammer-Elizabeth-Warren-on-ancestry-claim-ahead-of-Mass.-party-convention

As Massachusetts Democrats meet at their nominating convention today, some members of the Cherokee Nation are stepping up a campaign to get answers about candidate Elizabeth Warren’s claims of tribal ancestry – a sideshow controversy that has nevertheless begun to wobble one of the most closely-watched Senate campaigns in the country.

This week, Indian reporters say they were snubbed by Warren’s campaign as they sought clarification on why Ms. Warren was listed as a minority Native faculty by Harvard in the 1990s, even though she has no evidence to back that claim and apparently never sought out other Native Americans on campus.
Warren was listed in the early 1990s as a minority professor at Harvard University, but the only proof Warren has of her claim of 1/32nd Cherokee blood is family stories about high cheek bones that came from an ancestor. In order for Warren to be 1/32nd Indian, it means that the ancestor had to be a full-blooded Cherokee. But on May 15, the New England Historic Genealogical Society said the group “has no proof that Elizabeth Warren’s great-great-great-grandmother O.C. Sarah Smith either is or is not of Cherokee descent.”

Good summary of the controversy, but I'm looking for one where she specifically tries to poo poo on the people calling her out.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

oxsnard posted:

I think the surprise tomorrow will be Yang and Sanders turnout. Hopefully Yang gangers go to team Bernie.

Sanders walks away with 60% of delegates

I'm a little concerned that anyone still in the Yang boat at this point would even consider changing their vote. They might just leave, after being told for like the 50th time they can't still vote for Yang.

Which raises another question. Can enough people leave that it pushes a candidate who was under 15% to viability without even gaining extra votes?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Thanks for this! Ugh, it's pretty gross how libs just handwave her whole controversy as nothing, racist attacks by Trump notwithstanding.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

He's worse now, but he was always bad. People fell in love with a character created by the Onion, but real life Joe Biden is a gaffe machine that never managed to get anywhere in previous runs because he repeatedly sticks his foot in his mouth.

It still blows my mind that Obama picked ol' Uncle Joe as his VP after he said some racist poo poo packaged in a compliment. Like he couldn't have picked literally anyone else?

In more positive news, Barbara Lee tweeted this a few hours ago:

https://twitter.com/BLeeForCongress/status/1224153030691577857

I could see her endorsing Bernie if the next few weeks go well.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, back in 2008 they were pretty explicit about picking Biden to "balance the ticket".

Still, weren't there dozens of other options (read: old white men) that didn't have a history of being embarrassing?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Awful CompSloth posted:

I just had a bad thought. What if Warren wins Iowa.

That controversial poll had me a little worried with her sudden bump, but I think she's more likely to lose votes to Bernie than the other way around. Bernie will probably be viable at every precinct, but Warren's support may fluctuate depending on the region.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

How many people are at normal caucuses compared to these satellites? Is it possible to get inadvertently screwed over if too many of your supporters go to these small caucuses and dilute your showing at the others?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

When will we know results

We might not, if Pete calls in and gets them cancelled.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Gyges posted:

https://twitter.com/CANCEL_SAM/status/1224334092457709568

Why hasn't the media scrutinized Bernie, says the famous media man with his own media show who also appears on lots of other media shows.

The Mattering's foretold coming tuning out to be in the form of lung cancer is a hell of a thing. A beautiful, wonderful, hell of a thing.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Wait, I thought Florida caucus was a joke about Biden shoring up the retiree vote, but apparently it's real? How big is that caucus expected to be?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Taima posted:

I've been laughing at this for like 2 days straight, it's perfect.

I love that it's the electoral college, but versus primary candidates.

Lame Devil posted:

How’s it looking for Bernard Saunders?

I really want to say "absolutely fabulous", but don't want to celebrate too early.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

As someone who rolls my eyes at any dating profile referencing HP, this only makes my love for Bernie stronger.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Listening to AM radio on a whim while getting my lunch, and it's wild. Some lady calling in from the rich part of my county going on a rant that Bernie will bring about communism and nobody will be able to have fast food. Hope I can find a recording of that somewhere.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

snorch posted:

Laugh all you want, klobmentum is real you guys.

Thanks for including Delaney

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Slowpoke! posted:

CNN literally has a headline that reads “Biden, Warren, Sanders, and Buttigieg leading.”

Like that is four of the top five candidates and none of them are Klobuchar

What Klobmentum erasure

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

So many Bernard Brethren

https://twitter.com/latweetx/status/1224500449899896833

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Christmas is cancelled if we don't all switch to Bennet :ohdear:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/Kallindril/status/1224514482027757569

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

drat, this thread moves so fast, we can't even celebrate page 69

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

The gently caress is going on with Des Moines that so many are getting high high hopes for Butt?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Someone better record this

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Apocalypse posted:

Let's all take a moment to appreciate the fact that, so far, literally NO ONE has cast a vote for Deval Patrick. It's so delicious that I'm rubbing my nipples.

Better put those nipples away:

https://twitter.com/hunterw/status/1224526467767455746

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

What are the odds Biden ends up behind Klob, and would that pretty much be the nail in the coffin, drop out immediately result for him?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Lol Biden was like "Welp, we got some delegates. On to New Hampshire!"

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Office Pig posted:

Where the hell is Pete anyway, last I heard he was holed up inside a hotel room in the middle of fuckoff nowhere.

Listening to Huey Lewis and the News somewhere

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/1224579761193848832

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

People were right about the "Why Iowa doesn't matter" articles, but we had no idea of the shitshow that would maybe give them a point.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Do you think this clusterfuck will negatively impact future turnout in the remainder of the primaries?

Nah, just that Iowa gave pundits ammo to write it off as too incompetent to trust electorally.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Office Pig posted:

Watch this if you need evacuate your body of toxins right out the mouth-hole in a minute and a half!
https://twitter.com/WhiteSoxSlater/status/1224698004566872065?s=20

Yesterday afternoon, I was listening to AM radio on a whim to hear the chud POV on elections. I found a recording of the lady who went on an insane 5 minute rant about Pete not being fit for president because he wouldn't be allowed in the Middle East and that Bernie would cause fast food to be unaffordable like in Africa.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-drive-home-with-jillian-barberie-and-john-ph-1/the-john-phillips-show-02-03-20-2pm-1?t=28m48s

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Where's the orange, and why isn't he rolling it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Republicans posted:

gently caress you

Scrooge over here with the 1% tip