Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Would love it if the folks who think Bernie needs to drop out and stop endangering his voters could reconcile that with their crowing that his voters didn’t come out to support him yesterday, thus proving that his campaign has failed and he needs to drop out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

This thread is doing nothing to change my views of liberal brains

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Nobody is defending his record or policies. You can agree that Biden sucks on any issue that you want.

What is the point of insisting that an obviously factually untrue thing is true? Just admitting a factual statement about what question he was asked doesn't make his policies good.

"Joe Biden did not skydive today" and "Joe Biden's policies suck" can simultaneously exist and neither of them affect the truth of the other.

Being a pedant doesn’t make you smart

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

They lied last week about needing to set up “special lighting” in his house to try to fool people into thinking this wasn’t greenscreened, probably from a clinic somewhere

The elder abuse campaign, top to bottom

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Dietrich posted:

If it is, it's because that's how they decided to shoot it. Occam's razor.

Why would they decide to shoot it that way.

Also it is definitely greenscreened

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

I don’t think he’s dead (though it’s already bad that I’m not 100% on that!) I think he’s sick, and somewhere like a clinic, and they want to make it seem like he’s at home. I think that’s literally the simplest possible explanation instead of some convoluted poo poo involving setting up a special studio in his house to use a greenscreen to make it look like he’s in a different room of his house

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Dietrich posted:

Old people that are running political campaigns and don't understand how the internet works.

Think you might have confused Hanlon’s for Occam’s

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

LinYutang posted:

Not a good argument to be had that Biden is in hiding, when Bernie's voice is actively needed right now in Washington for a historic bill that will reshape the short-term economy, and Bernie is sitting this one out besides streaming and tweeting.

He didn’t leave his house for something he didn’t have to, has suspended his campaign and redirected all donations to covid relief efforts, and also is verifiably alive and healthy, unlike Biden. I’d think your kind of trolling would feel a little grody in a time like this but apparently not

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

I just— why the green screen. It’s so loving weird

I don’t like feeling like a conspiracy theorist about this poo poo, but when they drip feed his appearances like this and come back from a weekend of “preparations” with a 2-minute Steve Brule clip it’s hard to figure out what the hell else they’re thinking. Like if the mundane explanation is that they just wanted their video production to look extra flashy, that’s stupid, and they wasted their time

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Who gives a flying gently caress about Liz Warren right now??

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

I’m really glad you felt like a discussion of Biden’s rape allegations was the perfect place and time for you to wedge in your lame gotchas

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

yronic heroism posted:

It’s not a gotcha.

Yeah it loving is lol

quote:

I’m salty at how the campaign went for her and believe she was absolutely on the receiving end of lovely behavior. Some would even call it ratfucking.

She “ratfucked” her own campaign by pretending to be Native American for 3 decades, wobbling on universal healthcare, and hiring a bunch of failed Dem campaign staffers who advised her to do a dumb media hit on Bernie. A bunch of people tweeting snakes at her didn’t cause her to take 3rd in her home state

Warren is out of the race, Sanders isn’t, Biden is dead and also a rapist, deal with it

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Bernie was the second choice for most voters across all the candidates before voting started, and while he’s far enough behind that catching up is unlikely, he’s still running a relatively close second. I just can’t stand anyone who concern trolls about why he should drop out (or now, I guess, why he shouldn’t win even if he’s the last candidate standing??) as if his campaign falling into second means it was a smoldering failure that clearly most voters just weren’t interested in supporting. He’s still absurdly popular for a politician, and so is his platform.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

The party can ultimately pick whoever they want but their long-term survival depends on not making that completely obvious to their voters. I have no idea how many Democrats realize that though. Their whole MO makes it impossible to decide whether they’re cunningly selfish or incompetently so, it’s really a toss-up how they’ll behave if there is no legitimate non-Bernie choice left. Which sucks rear end. The Democrats are no longer “better than” the Republicans in any way that matters, which is why they have had so lean so far into “TRUMP IS AN EXISTENTIAL THREAT” in order to maintain any ground

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 26, 2020

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

I believe Tara despite the Russia stuff. But if you are wondering why the DNC may someone else, maybe the next best choice after a rapist isn't a rape fantasy writer who gets off on abused women.

It was a slightly clunky second wave feminist essay not his loving diary!! I hate this dumbass smear

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 28, 2020

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

I get so frustrated with people who bring up the essay or the Castro thing because to me they both stick out as amazing ringing endorsements of Bernie Sanders as a person, politician, and presidential candidate, and it takes a completely disingenuous flattening of what he was saying in both instances to make them “problematic”. I like someone who dares to voice a nuanced loving opinion about challenging topics!

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

I agree with the principle.

But, if someone was asked about Mussolini and their first response was, "Well, he did make the trains run on time."

It's not unreasonable for some people to be upset about how they decided approach the question. It doesn't matter what follows that first answer, because a lot of people are going to be mad for the perceived minimization of the issue.

Yeah see, this is what I’m saying. You have flattened it out into someone asking him “so Bernie, how about Cuba? pretty bad right?” and him going “oh, yknow, Castro had some good ideas”

In the 80s he criticized American interventionism by pointing out that, no matter how much the US government tried to tell Cubans that their government is Bad and that they should overthrow it, it wasn’t so simple for the people who actually lived there. When asked more recently if he stood by that (correct) belief he basically said “yep lol”

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Sanders going from +43 to +1 in a demographic isn't really a data point that invalidates the idea that a chunk of people were mad about it. They weren't upset about the idea of nuance.

Do I even have to point out the irony of you doing this to my argument now

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

I never claimed he did. Just that it wasn't fair to pretend that people were upset about nuance and didn't have real feelings about the issue.

Good loving lord. you are misrepresenting what Sanders said in exactly the way I was complaining about, and you’re misrepresenting what I said in order to make some inane point about respecting people’s emotional response to their dumb misinterpretation of what he said

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

I wasn't referring to your opinion specifically and I apologize if I did. I was referring to the guy who said that people weren't really upset and it was just red-baiting to "get well-off white boomers to be scared of Sanders, nothing more."

Oh, I guess I got confused because you outright quoted me and kept referencing my specific word choice and argument

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Kith posted:

my favorite hot take about the dem primary is people saying that clearly the youth vote doesn't want bernie that much because they didn't outvote olds and we should give up on things getting better because not enough people want it

incidentally voter suppression is fake and doesn't exist

Mmhmmm. Makes me wanna self-immolate!

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

I hate Biden so much that it's making me misjudge my hatred for Trump as just casual dislike.

Donald Trump remains unbelievably, viscerally awful and yet on a purely objective just-the-facts level, Joe Biden is somehow worse

Like Trump’s mind is dying in real time but 4 years ago he could still seem coherent. Biden would be sworn in already having a Swiss cheese brain. Trump has no public office experience but Biden’s history of horrible destructive policy with his name on it isn’t better. god, even Trump’s biggest pre-office controversy, the “grab them by the pussy” thing was merely him bragging about something that Biden has allegedly actually done

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Delthalaz posted:

At the very least, Trump violently raped his (then) wife

Oh sure. I apologize if I seemed like I was gliding over any of the other horrible abuses he’s committed.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Scooter_McCabe posted:

See this is why Bernie lost the nomination.

This is such an exasperating comment and I see it in response to people venting about the poo poo state of our politics or other candidates who they dislike all the time. Bernie didn’t lose the nomination because some rando on the Internet said a thing you didn’t like, that’s a shallow excuse for what is ultimately a broken, manufactured system from top to bottom. Stop doing this kind of bullshit Monday morning quarterbacking analysis based on your own pique

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

beejay posted:

They don't really support Biden, they are only pretending because he's against Bernie right now. After Biden loses they will blame Bernie supporters, and then spend another 4 years performatively pretending to care about things Trump does.

It’s so infuriating that these people try to guilt trip by screaming “TRUMP IS AN EXISTENTIAL THREAT DO YOU REALLY WANT ANOTHER 4 YEARS OF TRUMP” when they have thoroughly hitched their horses to someone who doesn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of beating Bad Cheeto Man

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

I mean I feel that way about people saying that about Bernie right now. I know it’s a long shot but half the loving country hasn’t voted yet. And the fact that people can be like “it’s decided, he tried and he lost” at this point is so frustrating. I almost wish I could jam my hand into those people’s brains and physically connect the synapses between “HE CAN’T WIN NOW, IT’S DECIDED” and “HALF OF THE STATES IN THE USA HAVE NOT EVEN HAD A CHANCE TO VOTE” to get them to realize how hosed up that is

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Is Bernie predicted to win in these states? Is he currently working to improve his chances to win any of these state? Is his campaign operating under the assumption that he still has a chance to win the nomination?

I know how the electoral process in this country works and was expressing how incredibly frustrating it is, you don’t need to holler these leading questions at me as if I was literally a surrogate for his campaign, gently caress off

edit: And also, what Pingui said

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 2, 2020

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Gyges posted:

Nah, even if we get a miracle and Corona is contained while the economy roars aback, Biden is going to be better than even odds to beat Donny in November. Democrats and Independents who stayed home in 2016 mostly hate Donny with the fury of 1000 burning futures of their children. At the same time Donny has done absolutely nothing to expand past his 2016 support, leaving him unlikely to do significantly better in raw votes.

I genuinely wish I could believe you, but Biden is such a compromised candidate already, so much worse than Hillary Clinton was in 2016 (and she already wasn’t great!), and like you said:

quote:

Biden can still Biden the gently caress out of anything

He already is doing this by handling Trump with kid gloves and not putting the screws to him like he ought to

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

He’s charging almost 3 grand to watch a loving livestream?!

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

It’s almost as if Bernie has support that extends beyond the relatively small base that will turn out in the middle of a public health crisis to vote for a rapist with brainrot

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Bernie basically wrote a letter to the editor. It's not like either them directed their campaigns to churn out masks, get volunteers to shop for those at risk or even call to donate blood. Their campaign websites don't even have anything linking to aid or information on how you can help. Bernie's site just has a link to a town hall speech promising action, but like Biden there has been no actual action. It's disappointing that neither have shown any actual leadership or effort beyond election speeches.

I hereby invite you to take the defend Biden without bringing up Bernie challenge

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Biden wasn't being defended. People on here have a bad habit of wanting discussions on things they want to argue, rather than what is actually being said.

Someone criticized Biden and you responded with “what about Bernie!!” what exactly were you doing if not trying to defend him by both-sidesing things

edit: like that second sentence is wild to me. You’re annoyed because I assumed you were acting on a view that you hold and not just throwing “ah, but have you considered Bernie Sanders also sucks” out there for no reason

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 6, 2020

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Scooter_McCabe posted:

I'm not happy about either one, feel free to change my mind.

No, how about you bring a perspective to the table other than “you’re all wrong, nyehh!” first

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

That’s Nate Silver for you

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

I think it’s wise to be critical and not assume the Sanders campaign did everything they could have, but at the same time the degree to which the establishment was flagrantly set against him and went out of their way to gently caress up his momentum, up to and including voter endangerment, is still really shocking even if you grant that it was somewhat to be expected

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

I like the buried implication in “not voting at all = a vote for Trump” that Biden needs to scrabble and scrape for every single vote, seems like a real strong position for a front runner to be in 7 months out from the general election

Also love the shifting of rhetorical focus that makes lefties out to be irrelevant naive idiots who can be safely ignored, and at the same time absolutely crucial swing voters that need to be endlessly berated and shamed into voting in order to save democracy

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Trump is the incumbent. No matter what he has the advantage.Incumbents winning is the expected.

It isn't one or the other. If one person doesn't vote they don't vote. If they don't vote and spend hours giving free advertising to their opponents that actually does matter because they are effectively offer free paid advertising by encouraging people not to vote for someone. (This is true of Biden and Trump. I loving hate that saying why Trump is awful basically amounts to campaigning for Biden because gently caress him.)

“Free advertising “? If this is some “criticizing Biden is helping Trump” poo poo, you can miss me with it. If he doesn’t want people talking about how garbage he is and saying they won’t vote for him, he should be a better candidate

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

This is a Democratic primary thread, of course everyone’s pissed off at the liberals

Like it’s a given that conservatives are bad, what makes liberals so odious is that “somewhat better than conservatives” is really all they have going for them, and so much of even that is for show. They help the conservatives by being so obstructive to any movement with progressive notions

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Dave Inc. posted:

Because they knew that he couldn't live up to his promises. And that despite Sanders' best intentions and moral convictions, he is more inclined to create divisions within his own party instead of building the necessary alliances to accomplish his goals.

Myself I always admired his conviction and ideologies, but I knew Sanders would disappoint as a leader. He's usually right about things, but in that way that makes everyone else aggravated and unwilling to work with him.

He got second loving place with his approach and was on track to have a solid lead before centrist voltron stopped him at Obama’s behest

Seriously this already growing narrative that this election represents a blanket repudiation of Sanders, his platform, the ideologies of his supporters etc. needs to be strangled in the crib. This isn’t “well he had his shot and the voters said no, oh well!” a plurality of voters under 45 supported him, a plurality of voters over 45 supported the empty idea of political moderation currently embodied by Biden. This is a massive political schism, mostly among age and class lines, in a country where the advantages go to the old and wealthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the world where Bernie gets clyburn’s endorsement is that onion article where he shows up tanned and saying actually capitalism is good now

This is what everyone who thinks Bernie should have “played nicer” and “made allies” is asking for, whether they realize it or not

Halloween Jack posted:

By executive power and by leading a massive popular coalition to primary right-wing Democrats, turn out for progressive Democrats in downticket races, and engage in left-activism against corporate interests.

As opposed to Obama, who told his electoral coalition "Okay, your job's done," then spent years trying to make nice with Mitch McConnell.

Exactly, and this is a coherent theory of political change that he elaborated on numerous times, but it was constantly ignored or rejected by libs who refuse to believe policy movement can start on the ground level. It was always “no one in the senate will listen to him!” and “how’s he gonna pay for it blah blah blah” always finding new ways to say “better things aren’t possible”