Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
how are there so many loving craft breweries

what gives

who is subsidizing this industry

what policy apparatus allowed so many to sprout up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

It's a rich white frat boy thing, that's why they always give their beers ironic monkey cheese names like "IPA up yo rear end" and poo poo like that. It's kind of like how baby boomers all dream of owning a vineyard when they retire. They get the seed money from their rich parents or just pool their rich people money together with their friends. Sometimes snobby gentrified apartments will have a little brewery at the complex and require you to pitch in through the lease and in return you get an allowance of beer. It's the just the latest rich people trend.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
love to drink 2000 calories worth of ipa and wonder why i look like poo poo in my 30's

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

al gul

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Can we establish something right now? ... IPA taste gross and if you like them you are defective.

Thanks! Working hard!

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I dunno why there are so many, but filling a growler from my local brewery is cheaper than buying Bud light, tastes better, probably creates less waste and CO2, and the people who work there say hi and pretend to care about my dumb life.

I imagine a lot of people want a brewery in their neighborhood for those reasons.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

I simply don't drink beer OP

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

I simply don't drink beer OP

Do u only drink boners?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

how are there so many loving craft breweries

what gives

who is subsidizing this industry

what policy apparatus allowed so many to sprout up

in 1978, when there was about 90 breweries in the united states, jimmy carter signed a law that legalized home brewing up to 100 gallons a year, which had been banned since prohibition. also state regulators slowly legalized brewpubs starting in the 1980s. today there are over 5,300 commercial breweries in the united states

it's rolling back one of the more harmful effects of prohibition imo, which was the destruction of local taverns and pubs as gathering places and community hubs (because of anti-catholic animus). hopefully one day every american will have a dive bar serving goofy local beers produced by gormless frat boys within walking distance, eliminating the scourge of drunk driving once and for all and helping americans get to know their awful, annoying neighbors

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

in 1978, when there was about 90 breweries in the united states, jimmy carter signed a law that legalized home brewing up to 100 gallons a year, which had been banned since prohibition. also state regulators slowly legalized brewpubs starting in the 1980s. today there are over 5,300 commercial breweries in the united states

it's rolling back one of the more harmful effects of prohibition imo, which was the destruction of local taverns and pubs as gathering places and community hubs (because of anti-catholic animus). hopefully one day every american will have a dive bar serving goofy local beers produced by gormless frat boys within walking distance, eliminating the scourge of drunk driving once and for all and helping americans get to know their awful, annoying neighbors

that's cool

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

nikosoft posted:

Can we establish something right now? ... IPA taste gross and if you like them you are defective.

Thanks! Working hard!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
getting really into IPAs to disguise my rampaging alcoholism as a marker of refined taste,

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yeah it used to be that pretty much every bar and pub brewed one or two of their own beers, weve just found a way to go back to that while making it slightly obnoxious.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
How about not poisoning your mind and body and start working on getting Bernie into the White House?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
You can drink beer AND be healthy op you just need to engage in moderation and have a healthy lifestyle.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Chuka Umana posted:

How about not poisoning your mind and body and start working on getting Bernie into the White House?

how about you stop posting nerd

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

also going to the "bar" if youre passed 30 is kinda sad, whereas going to the "brewery" is hip and cool

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

theyre just bars with annoying branding op

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

also going to the "bar" if youre passed 30 is kinda sad, whereas going to the "brewery" is hip and cool

sorry I only go to bespoke indoor mini golf bars

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
tiki bars are cool again and there are several here in sf that look like pirate ships and colonialistic Caribbean stereotypes

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

also op beer consumption is actually down over time. in 2008 there were around 6.7b gallons made and in 2018 it was around 6.2b gallons (as long as they're not doing something weird with the gallons and i'm loving up my math which is fully possible)

it's just the market share of the big macro brews is continuously declining which is why inbev and annheiser have bought a bunch of the bigger craft breweries because the writing is kinda on the wall there.

basically people are drinking less beer, but idk if it means that they're drinking less booze overall probably not.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Schnorkles posted:

also op beer consumption is actually down over time. in 2008 there were around 6.7b gallons made and in 2018 it was around 6.2b gallons (as long as they're not doing something weird with the gallons and i'm loving up my math which is fully possible)

it's just the market share of the big macro brews is continuously declining which is why inbev and annheiser have bought a bunch of the bigger craft breweries because the writing is kinda on the wall there.

basically people are drinking less beer, but idk if it means that they're drinking less booze overall probably not.

I’d be legit interested if legal weed has led to a decline in alcohol consumption. idk if there’s any data on that

you’d probably have to look at beers wines ciders and hard liquor etc in total

it could be people are opting for “healthy” alcohol like white claw and those seltzer waters with ethanol in them

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Xaris posted:

I’d be legit interested if legal weed has led to a decline in alcohol consumption. idk if there’s any data on that

you’d probably have to look at beers wines ciders and hard liquor etc in total

it could be people are opting for “healthy” alcohol like white claw and those seltzer waters with ethanol in them

Wine is exploding i know, but i have no idea what the numbers on it are. I bet craft liquor is as well.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

this, but the opposite

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Schnorkles posted:

Wine is exploding i know, but i have no idea what the numbers on it are. I bet craft liquor is as well.

I thought wine was implodin and doing badly?

ofc all this poo poo is cyclical as people get bored with one and try to be interesting in getting into the underdog and so on and so on

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

other things that might be contributing (besides changing tastes/options in alcoholic drinks, including near equivalents like hard cider/seltzer) are:

*beer prices have inflated + wages have remained stagnant
*micros often having a higher ABV than traditional macros (I suspect this is marginal at best)

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

LGD posted:

other things that might be contributing (besides changing tastes/options in alcoholic drinks, including near equivalents like hard cider/seltzer) are:

*beer prices have inflated + wages have remained stagnant
*micros often having a higher ABV than traditional macros (I suspect this is marginal at best)

i mean craft beer definitely does taste better in general, as long as you avoid the fancy poo poo.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
*I snap my fingers like thanos and half of all the craft beer brands disappear but nobody notices because there are so loving many of them and they are all so damned similar.*

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

There is a lot of good craft beer out there but a lot of places still place way to much emphasis on their IPAs and stocking them with way, way too many hops to make the thing so bitter if I added a slice of orange it would blow up from the chemical reaction

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
It's all about sours now.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

they are extremely filling, i drink them instead of eating at the end of every month to save money

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Xaris posted:

given that a lot of the money behind behind the anti-legalization efforts comes from the liquor industry I’d say there’s some effect

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Animal-Mother posted:

lmfao my dude sours were sooo 2015. they’ve already come and gone. tho we do have a rad sour brewery here in Berkeley (rate barrel)

goses were 2016

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

i enjoy sampling many varieties of beers

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I know a homebrewer that says sours are a demonic infestation that will permanently contaminate any brewing equipment you brew sours on and I believe it

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm thinking of the phrase "milk stout" and laughing to myself

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Xaris posted:

tiki bars are cool again and there are several here in sf that look like pirate ships and colonialistic Caribbean stereotypes

This is the actual annoying trend

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

I know a homebrewer that says sours are a demonic infestation that will permanently contaminate any brewing equipment you brew sours on and I believe it

It's very true, and sour beers will even infect other nearby beers as they ferment. The best beer (geuze, shame it's gotten so bougie and expensive that I can have it like once a year, as a treat) is made by letting wild sour yeast fly in from the environment cause that yeast wants nothing more than to be in a beer.

Anyway beer rules, craft beer rules, and that said there are about 1000x as many craft brewers as there should be.

paqxo
Jan 2, 2020
I absolutely hate the silly names that brewers give their stuff, but I like to support local businesses so I pop in every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

yeah bitching about ipas is something you could have done a decade ago, now there are too many sours and definitely too many saisons. that style was on the brink of extinction for a reason. i don’t hate it but every brewery doesn’t need one. also theres too many coffee porters on the shelf now.