Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Pilchenstein posted:

Brexit is already costing us some of our greatest minds :v:
https://twitter.com/wizardcubes/status/1223347770356129797

can't believe they'd decommission the MauG-25 Foxbat like that, thought it still had a few years left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

quote:

One MP said she “would definitely go” and a “conservative estimate” of the number of MPs that would follow was between 30 and 50.
oh, doyfoynoytloy, babs, and let no-one tell you otherwise

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
i feel their scale is definitely underselling the job

eiffel tower included, on the right

ed: birb tax

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 10, 2020

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
Apologies if this has been mentioned, but Der Starmer's leaflets have gone out.

The slogan: "Integrity; Authority; Unity"

sigh

ed: also the front of the envelope had "Contains: integrity; authority; unity"

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

sebzilla posted:

My favourite thing in 2020 Labour is all the Starmer supporters saying things like "we need to purge the left-wing" having spent the past five years making GBS threads themselves loudly about mandatory reselection etc.
Well, there's no other easy way to get "integrity, authority, unity"

tldr; imo they can be seen as a natural expression of a system desperately trying to maintain itself against increasing instability, also, birb

Large organisations tend to stability, and develop methods to maintain this - rules and regulations to restrict the effect of outside disturbance, and removing outside disturbances where possible.

I'd argue that the Labour Party was, from at least Blair until Corbyn, adapted to and stable within the Westminster environment and British electoral system - top-down leadership, connections with media, politics as reflections of media. The left-leaning portions of the membership are a source of instability, continually asking for things outside the Westminster consensus, trying to get a greater say, wanting to move the party to a bottom-up formation, replacing centrist MPs with leftish ones who agree with the membership (or, if nothing more, want to give the membership a say); none of this plays nicely with Westminster or the media. The soft-left/centre membership recognise correctly that instability makes the party look bad and less electable, and that the mandatory reselection effort was part of this trend.

Labour's obvious reaction as an organisation is to remove or restrain the source of instability - give a greater voice to centre and right figures, "councillors should have a greater say" (since councillors are generally going to be more centre/right-wing), restrict the effect of the membership on policy, etc. up to and including ejecting left-wing members. Starmer frames himself as the stability candidate, so I'd expect him to take steps in that direction. Don't think he'd go as far as outright ejecting the left, but definitely restrict it. Goodbye Corbynism, goodbye left influence in Labour. (this is the more likely, I think? depends how the phone-banking is going, how many of the soft-left or politically-traumatised can be brought around)

The RLB route is the more hopeful one imo. More interaction with the left membership means more instability, and she could drive it up to a crisis point where the organisational structure of Labour has to change or collapse - different structure, different MPs more in tune with the membership. Short-term this could be ugly, but if the will is there it might work and give us a leftish Labour party without all the internal contradictions. I'm not sure it'll be possible to reform Labour without hitting that crisis point - it'll keep trying to return to its previous equilibrium, we'll end up with constant instability but no structural changes, and I doubt there will be another chance.

(sidenote: thinking about it like this, Corbyn is a curious figure - both inducing instability and trying to prevent it by "bringing everyone together" even when the two sides are irreconcilable, stopping the Wom Tatson removal etc; in retrospect not surprising it didn't work)

in conclusion, Labour is a land of contrasts, and furthermore, birb

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Jose posted:

If ever there is a time to get it over and done with its now
Yep. 4 years till next election, get RLB in, ramp it up, ram it through, get the party aligned leftwards in time to present a united front.

If Starmer gets in then everything's probably hosed and we're better off spending energy outside Labour, but god knows where. Maybe building community bunkers.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

The Question IRL posted:

So BoJo-a-GoGo, the mad Prime Minister is at it again.

Apparently the reason he hired Braveman was because the previous AG wouldn't come up with a way for England not to honour their Brexit obligations.
That is going to set a really good tone for all future deal negotiations.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2020/0223/1117043-brexit-northern-ireland-protocol/
to be fair the rules have never applied to him before, so why should they now? it's just the application of his life experience to international politics

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lord help me but I agree with basically all of this post. There's some very hallucinatory hindsight being bandied around to justify what happened between 2017 and 2019, and failing to address the mistakes the left of the party made is just buying us a ticket back to 1983 because we're going to end up chasing our tails over stuff like open selection rather than actually keeping at least one hand on the controls.
A question here is what exactly we, the membership, are meant to do to solve these problems, other than push to elect the right candidate and then hope (ahh, the sweet taste of bitesize electoralism). It seems that the problems were mostly with the leadership, its decision-making, and the structures around it, and the membership's contribution to the loss was, I dunno, overoptimism? Too much posting? Echo-chambering? As ronya points out, the left unions were the ones who stopped mandatory reselection, against wishes of the membership - how do you create a membership-led party when there are other, more powerful forces whose interests may contradict those of the membership, and who aren't accountable to it? To be a little reductive, the claim of "membership-led politics" smells a little of the membership getting a say, but only when convenient, as a treat.

(this butts up against another set of problems; how representative are the big unions, for example, of the contemporary class formations that make up Labour's current and future voter base, and how do their interests intersect, where are the tensions? thinking of stuff like the responses to climate change and so on)

What are the options for the membership to fix things? Seems like the power of exit as voters / members - not useful if there isn't a vote coming up, also very binary with no option but to lose all influence if the leadership doesn't do what's requested - or the long, slow march through the institutions when time is kind of a pressing concern. What else do we have?

(for reference: this isn't me being defeatist this time, i'd genuinely like to know)

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
it's pronounced "Spudley", naturally

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

thespaceinvader posted:

DO we know why Momentum is supporting Rayner over one of those two?
RLB and Rayner are close friends, it's meant to be a left-centre unity slate.

other than that, you'd need to ask the Momentum NEC. The Momentum membership only got a yes / no vote on supporting each of RLB and Rayner, and, uh, <20% turnout, RLB got 70% yes, Rayner 53% yes, membership a bit miffed about the process precisely because of the lack of choice

ed:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

please don't go to twitter for leadership chat, and absolutely do not read anything Paul Atreides Mason ever writes

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
i'm all 3 of the mysterious levitating "pancakes", apparently lifted by Angry Corbyn's force of will and not by any trace of movement from the chefs

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
this but also every one of the skulls on the base is a different ghoulish Blair head

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Also this one

It's not "raise" taxes or even "hike" taxes, it's punish the rich
the middle ground, the third way, the "synthesis" if you will, of the thesis "punish the rich" and the antithesis "cut, cut, cut" is... the guillotine. that's dialectics baby. sometimes the truth really is in the middle

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
Voted: RLB, Butler/Burgon/Khan/Rayner, also Momentum NEC of Townsend and Drennan

now to wait for the inevitable Starmer drift rightwards while freshly-melted former Corbyn supporters desperately try and justify the new policies as left-wing (and/or Sensible) and also, retrospectively, why their choice of Starmer was correct

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
hahaha

ahahahahaha

on the bright side, if Labour pasokifies itself, maybe there'll be an opening for a social democratic formation of some kind

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

ed: with column headers

(source)

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010