Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Grouchio posted:

So Brexit is officially underway, huh. Has anything happened yet? Any markets crashing?

Brexit happened at 11pm on a Friday so no, the markets haven't reacted. As you'd realise if you spent 1 nano-second thinking before posting but I assume your brain is so atrophied that even days of the week are too much for you to wrap your head around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

oh hey that's a funny way of spelling 'Grey Area by Little Simz' and/or 'Schlagenheim by black midi'

Schlagenheim was really good but 6Music are doing a top job of putting me off it by playing the opening track all the loving time. Radio playlists are dogshit and should be destroyed.

I have no idea what my favourite record of last year was because there was too much music for me to listen to everything. But the first thing that jumps out in my head was King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard's Infest The Rats' Nest. Which was the weird Aussie psych-rockers doing a thrash metal album about climate change & it was dope.

Also, while I'm here, Live & Let Die is the only good Paul McCartney post-Beatles song. Despite Bond themes normally being as crap as Bond films.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 2, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Think Your Queen Is A Reptile was 2018. It made me want to listen to more modern jazz but then realise that I have no idea where to find the good stuff unless it's Bandcamp's blog.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

crispix posted:

I honestly can't tell if this is real. Is it? Everything about it screams Arrested Development.

I wish I could tell you it is fake but somehow it is real.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

TBF they were luckier than they would have been under the current shitfire.

Lower that bar some more.

Clearly that won't ever happen but suppose it did, do you know how loving seething I would be that the first general strike in this lovely country in 95 or years is about Brexit rather than income inequality & housing prices & power disparities & y'know, poo poo that loving matters? I think my head would explode. Because I would put a sawn-off shotgun into my mouth and pull the trigger. Okay, not really, but I would be beyond angry. 50/50 chance of me spontaneously combusting from rage.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 4, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress gently caress fuc

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1224836048620019712?s=19

Love this country. The best country with the brightest people.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Simsandwich posted:

Looks like Scottish budget should be interesting tomorrow, SNP's finance minister just been exposed grooming a 16 year old boy.

Where are you hearing this?

This is especially notable as Derek Mackay has been touted as a favourite to replace Sturgeon if she gets caught up in the fallout of the Alex Salmond trial.

EDIT: I see, it's the front page of The Scottish Sun. Okay

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 6, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Simsandwich posted:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/scott...nowing-his-age/

Cherry probably has a clear run at the leadership after this unless the left of the party can get organised.

Yeah, I mean, it's The Sun. I'll give it credence as anything more than run of the mill homophobia from a shitrag when it's coming from a source moderately more believable.

And yes, Joanna Cherry is probably the favourite to replace Sturgeon now, though her being at Westminster would be seen as a black mark. Unfortunately her being a TERF shitbag would not be. I'd not be shocked if they end up with John Swinney caretaker run & then Angus Robertson becoming permanent leader after winning a Holyrood seat.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's on the BBC now. Yet another sex offender in the upper echelons of the party who claim they're not Tories.

Yup, he's resigned. On the day of the budget.

Got to give it to The Scum, that's some good timing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Gah this makes me twitch every time.

It's only a Union JACK if it's flying on a loving ship.

It's a Union FLAG if it's flying on a building.

(Councils should fly them upside down to indicate distress, not that people who aren't nerds would notice)

E: 22 years ago, speaking of the Royals, Mohamed Al-Fayed was quoted as saying he was 99.9% certain that Diana's and Dodi's deaths were a conspiracy. Somewhat like the conspiracy in which Prince Andrew was ALLEGEDLY involved.

I used to live opposite an Orange Lodge in Glasgow & they magnificently had their Union fleg flying upside down for months.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Niric posted:

This x 1000. He's got excellent politics, is a lovely bloke and manages to generate genuine enthusiasm amongst activists (especially younger ones), which no Scottish Labour person has managed in a long time.

My CLP voted for Baillie unfortunately, but there was much better lefty/progressive turn out than I've seen before, so nice to see a it of progress

It's going to loving suck when Jackie Baillie wins despite being one of the most detestable, arrogant grifters who entirely personifies the miserable state of Scottish Labour in 2020. These stupid cretins just seem incapable of learning from 13 years of miserable failure (& tbh the rot set in before the 2007 loss). Which loving sucks because if Scottish Labour wasn't a corpse of a political party 2021 might actually be a chance to make some gains, between Derek Mackay, the Alex Salmond trial coming up and the general stagnation that comes with one part being in control for so long. Alas it'll probably be the Liberals & Tories who make gains if the SNP do fall back.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Yeah. That should be seen as a bad look but I don't even know if it will be. Should be telling that the 2 other British politicians I see on there are David Willets & Francis Maude, a couple of Tory Ministers under Pig Fucker

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

JJ posts good takes on social issues that she's knowledgeable about but as someone who basically stumbled into worldwide fame she's not a PhD in social studies

I would clarify that "doesn't have a PhD in social studies" doesn't give someone a free pass for spouting liberals bollocks. I don't even have an HND and can manage to not do it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Nandy as leader means many things, but one of them is bipartisan support for violent suppression of the Scottish independence movement. Seriously, she's been saying some absolutely psychotic poo poo about Scotland.

It's been loving mental. She's deranged when it comes to Scotland.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

I have with my own two eyes seen someone say that they voted to leave the EU because it maximised the chance of Scottish independence. Those fuckers are so dense they have an event horizon.

I know one of those. I got a bit mad at him.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Bardeh posted:

drat, I didn't even think about any of the poor bastards on planes taking off or landing today. Fuuuuuck that

There was a flight from New York to London in under 5 hours today!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I have never gotten a contract phone. Don't really use it enough to justify the cost

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if that also applies to asparagus, I like it but it's hard to get right.

My contribution to this is that actually steamed asparagus is pretty easy to do. Just don't forget the butter.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Olpainless posted:

Not even pretending to be coy about wanting to Fox News it up.

gently caress.

They don't want to Fox News it up, they want to kill it off.

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1226825109895249921?s=20

Anyway, here's the BBC inviting absolute loving cretins on their politics programmes as per, making it exceptionally easy for the Tories to end the Beeb.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I'm getting pretty scared he actually believes this is a viable idea.

Boris you coward, do the bridge across to the Mull of Kintyre

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jippa posted:

I'm down with building the Eiffel Tower.

See, this is another argument for the bridge to the Mull of Kintyre: shorter, not having to go across an munitions & nuclear waste dump, & it'd give some long overdue spending on the road & transport infrastructure between that remote part of Scotland & civilisation. Make it a double bridge so it does rail & road, hell, make it a high speed train while you're at it. You could put in further bridges across Loch Fyne from Tarbert to Portvadie, then maybe from Tighnabruich to Bute, then you could hop from Bute to Great Cumbrae to Largs or from Bute back to the mainland at Knockdow and then another from Dunoon across to near Gourock.

I mean if we're fantasy-booking an infrastructure project that isn't going to happen at least end up with a positive like making it possible to ignore the Rest & Be Thankful for as many people as possible because it's a hellroad

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/MetroUK/status/1227125778866937857

Deported them anyway despite a court order telling them not to, despite the Windrush scandal.

If the government won't respect the rule of law why should anyone else? Absolute scum.

And oh my God Welsh person, shut the gently caress up. No one is incentivised to hate the Welsh because no one remembers you exist.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

I could be wrong, but even if every seat in Wales and Scotland returned Solid Labour MP's we'd still have a conservative government, even if it was a minority one.

If every seat in the south west returned Labour MPs we'd still have a Tory government. If every seat in the north east etc. etc you can get the idea.

If every Highland seat returned a Labour MP/MSP we'd still have a SNP Government at Holyrood. Should teuchters get independence from the rest of Scotland?

By all means argue for Scottish and Welsh independence if you want (I'm probably voting Yes if we get another indyref) but you need a less shite argument than this because it's silly

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Saith posted:

I'm shocked, by the way. SHOCKED. That no one's called this fucker out yet. Why is this okay when

ain't

Because the Welsh aren't a horribly persecuted minority group despite what you seem to imagine.

Also if you're learning Polish and Irish in school in Wales then that is cool as hell because the grand sum of languages taught in my high school were French, German, Gaelic and Spanish but Spanish was only available to 5th and 6th years. And not many people took Gaelic.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Saith posted:

Don't deny my experiences, dickhead.

And for the people specifically going out of their way to use the word 'Welsh' now, could you maybe not call us 'foreigners' in the dead language used by the people who committed genocide against my ancestors? Please?

Like I've taken this whole loving gangbang without calling anyone a Saes or even a loving Anglo.

Wait? So what are English speakers meant to call people who live in Wales?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

I've said this before ITT but my dad was given corporal punishment for speaking in Scots in school. Not sure what exact amount of oppression is required for independence movements to be acceptable to the UKMT. I was under the impression that doing the whole 'oppression olympics' thing where you say 'oh group X is not as oppressed as group Y, they should shut up' was not cool.

My mum got the tawse at school for sitting in a row that the teacher decided to punish at random, I'm not sure that's an argument for Scottish independence as it is against corporal punishment.

Not to mention that corporal punishment hasn't been a thing in schools for 4+ decades so not sure this logic works even on it's own flawed terms.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 11, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I turned the telly on to some BBC programmes about Universal Credit and the chimp from the Jobcentre asked "what would you do I'm her situation?" Replied with "there are people who clean toilets who are very happy" and then she smiled this horrendous smile and I wanted to die so turned it back off.

loving monsters.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I do not recommend turning on the telly if you can avoid it. Watch memes on youtube instead, it's basically perfected the visual entertainment media.

I need to turn on the TV to get to play Yakuza 3 though

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Boris has sacked the first NI Secretary not long after Stormont got back up & running. Because protecting British troops wot dun warcrimes is more important than getting justice for British citizens I guess.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

It will warm your heart to hear that Anglian Water have not only just lost the Scottish Local Authorities water account (which is worth an eight figure amount of money per annum) a year early, but were also told not to bother submitting a tender for the new round of procurement.

PM Nandy will send in the troops to crush the rebellious Scots stopping good honest companies.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

LOL Boris is a loving shambles.

Dominic Cummings is just running the government now

Someone is blaring Mad World on a sound system outside of Downing Street

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Who the gently caress is Rishi Sunak?

Clearly the best man for the job and not just a yes man who'd give up Treasury independence for an unexpected promotion. Tom Newton Dunn insists that he's a rising star.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

so what will Cummings assuming direct control of #11 mean for the future? more funding for dumb bridge projects?

Oh aye. Lots of headline grabbing policies which are moronic but who is going to hold them to account, Mail & The Sun? The atrophied corpse of the Beeb?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Chuka Umana posted:

Ian McLeod was the original architect of what became Thatcherism so while the heart attack got him we are still living in his Britain.

Isn't that Keith Joseph as much as anyone?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/SDKelliher/status/1227883387517579264?s=20

This is amazing banter. I knew Karen Bradley was thick as poo poo but good grief.

LONDONKERRY FOR FUCKSAKE

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

Why isn't it bigger news that apparently lobsterman himself Jordan Peterson is in a coma and may have suffered permanent brain damage because he tried to cold-turkey off benzos in Russia?

He had his 5 minutes, everyone has done their best to forget about him now, I assume.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

"There's an episode of Young Sheldon about this"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

My employer wants to increase my notice period from one month to three months. I have ignored their request so far, anyone have any other suggestions in case they really get on my case about it?

Ask them what you get in exchange for losing freedom to move and signing a new contract. Speak to your union rep as well, of you've got one.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm pretty sure they can sue you for breach of contract?

Which if your job is important enough for them to want a longer notice period for it, they might well do if you leave them in the lurch.

Conversely, you are never obliged to sign a new contract as long as your existing oen is current, but there's nothing stopping them e.g. not renewing a fixed term contract, making the longer notice period a condition of moving from fixed term to permanent, etc.

Basic suggestion, as with any employment issue, is to get union involved if you're concerned.

Speaking of which, what unions would cover Crisis? It's a big national organisation so I'm sure one of them must and I want to get my dues in straight away this time.

Maybe I'll just join the IWW.

The TUC have a "what union should I join" thing on their website but the first thing is to see if your workplace recognises a union or if there are other union members in the office. And no matter what, also consider joining the IWW as a more radical complementary union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

loving hell at least have some sensitivity about it

Wait, what's insensitive about saying "Person killed themselves" when that's what happened?

I'm not being facetious, I don't get it. Doesn't seem like a particularly offensive way to put it, seems more value neutral than "commits suicide" for example.

The insensitivity will be the way the media cover it, completely ignoring the Samaritans helpful guidelines for talking about celebrity suicide.