Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

Scottish water is nationalised and they still dump poo poo and sewage into it.
Mainly they need to stop people doing that
Welsh Water here is not for profit and still awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So what crime has he done and does it involve kids

https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1773696555087781996?t=NfZedIa9kTMK7WNaI_HppA&s=19

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/AmandaFBelfast/status/1773632046390202509

Seems likely

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Shoot an executive every time poo poo gets into the water supply. It would't solve anything but would be satisfying.

No. Make them drink the water.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This guy is a right wing labour councillor and you'll never guess what he went to prison for

https://twitter.com/HUMBLEBILL/status/1773868586030837842?t=1yaYgHAgMOrqhkj16kx0OQ&s=19

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

remember when the tories got electoral support from this bunch, who are a bunch of hateful presbyterian cunts who literally believe the earth is 6,000 years old and now have a leader not just accused, but charged, with some genuinely heinous poo poo?

wonderful country, just grade A decision makers all around

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah it must be so embarrassing in front of their tory pals, who will never be charged for their own heinous crimes.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Microplastics posted:

And what happened? Is he going even more all in? I've no idea what their pledges are

Still waiting on another call after he’s informed himself of these facts.

(He’ll just vote regardless. Voting makes the planet better.)

The Newsnight on the other day about water nationalising was interesting. Maybe we should do a bit of that state run thing again.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

London Calling

Keith In Power In Our Time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

once the election is actually near i imagine the press will start sticking the boot inot kieth a bit more to make sure he knows who is actually boss

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
water question, what is drinking tap water like in the uk? in the u.s. in most municipalities its totally fine and better than bottled water (fluorination); is it entirely down to which incompetent private water company ( :psypop: ) is currently deciding if you're one of the lucky households to get an extra dose of e coli?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

in the last EPI (2022) the UK was one of six countries globally to score the maximum possible for drinking water sanitation, along with the Netherlands, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, and, Finland.

untreated thames river water will make you poo poo yourself inside out however

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

ex post facho posted:

water question, what is drinking tap water like in the uk? in the u.s. in most municipalities its totally fine and better than bottled water (fluorination); is it entirely down to which incompetent private water company ( :psypop: ) is currently deciding if you're one of the lucky households to get an extra dose of e coli?

You have to use a sieve to make sure the larger turd chunks are strained out, but otherwise it’s okay. Only thrown up once this month from consuming it.

For real, though, I always found it weird when going to the continent and being told not to drink from the tap due to bugs etc. Tap water here is totally fine and potable and preferable to overpriced microplastic saturated gourmet bottled poo poo.

The one thing you will be confused about is the separate taps for hot and cold water in most older houses. My kitchen has a mixer, but my bathroom has separate ones (built 1967). Made my French co-worker wonder what that was all about when renting over here.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ex post facho posted:

Tap water in the UK ranges from good to excellent, with the exception of the south east which has a really weird, gross, and slimy quality.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nonsense posted:

London Calling

Keith In Power In Our Time

amazing that I somehow feel labor will be more right wing than the Tories

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

Well, yeah, Labour historically siphoned its base from the Liberal Party so it's clearly the successor to the Liberal Party (the Liberal Democrats are what UKIP/Reform/etc. are to the Toreis).

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

euphronius posted:

New Labour in ‘97 brought about turbo neoliberalism to the point where Blair revered Thatcherism and felt it didn’t go far enough. It’s best to view Labour as simply what the Tories were in order for them to gain power. The Tories lost identity for a while trying to find some footing in going forward, which probably only came about after everyone forgot Major’s gov’t and got sick of Blair’s lot.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

keep punching joe posted:

Tap water in the UK ranges from good to excellent, with the exception of the south east which has a really weird, gross, and slimy quality.

Yep, I live in Yorkshire and the water's nice. I lived in Cambridge for 2 years and it's the only place where I felt the need to use a filter. Tea made with unfiltered water would have a visible film on the surface

euphronius posted:

Tory policy but polite and done with sad faces is what our media wants

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

euphronius posted:

it's almost as though that is what they have been saying and doing for years

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ex post facho posted:

Don't listen to the UK posters, they've grown accustomed to drinking pool water. It might be "safe", but that's because it's so full of chlorine that nothing can survive in it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tarnop posted:

Yep, I live in Yorkshire and the water's nice. I lived in Cambridge for 2 years and it's the only place where I felt the need to use a filter. Tea made with unfiltered water would have a visible film on the surface

lol what is going on in this country

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

He's dying

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/king-charles-funeral-plans-unveiled-131200834.html

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol what is going on in this country

it’s hard water i think that does that ?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It's because anybody who can at all pipes their water from Wales or Scotland.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

hosed around and found out

https://twitter.com/GhorbaniiNiyak/status/1774172289333924340?t=6OgxEbgTTRRVX53ZO-7JwQ&s=19

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Unless Labour actually raises taxes or takes even more extreme measures (nationalization/currency controls), what are they going to be doing at a certain point? It isn't that nothing can be done, obviously it can, but not really within a centrist mindset. You have a rising deficit with relatively high yields, and it doesn't look like any central bank is lowering rates, so what is the most likely scenario unless you want to either sustain a deficit or raise revenue?

NHS absolutely needs more funding, but if Labour isn't willing to do anything about it, what is going to happen? What is Labour even going to do about all the ridiculous security commitments that have been made even though the British military is even more thinly spread than ever?

What will happen if Starmer has such a high majority than he doesn't even need the Labour's left for a vote of no-confidence?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Ardennes posted:

Unless Labour actually raises taxes or takes even more extreme measures (nationalization/currency controls), what are they going to be doing at a certain point? It isn't that nothing can be done, obviously it can, but not really within a centrist mindset. You have a rising deficit with relatively high yields, and it doesn't look like any central bank is lowering rates, so what is the most likely scenario unless you want to either sustain a deficit or raise revenue?

NHS absolutely needs more funding, but if Labour isn't willing to do anything about it, what is going to happen? What is Labour even going to do about all the ridiculous security commitments that have been made even though the British military is even more thinly spread than ever?

What will happen if Starmer has such a high majority than he doesn't even need the Labour's left for a vote of no-confidence?

they're going to do what the tories are doing, pursue meaningless culture war nonsense and watch as the country crumbles.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
giving the drink driving flipflop nonce a Stonking Majority so he has a free hand to do absolutely nothing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They're going to get voted out in 5 years time and move onto high paid directorships while the country gets even worse

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

The function of government is to secure the future corporate employment of its ministers and it's the PLP's turn.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ardennes posted:

The last time the labour right got a huge majority it was during a period of economic growth and with a campaign slogan of things can only get better. The first thing they did with that majority was cut benefits for single mothers. This time around they're already telling us it's going to be poo poo, the shadow health secretary won't shut up about privatising the NHS and the shadow chancellor won't shut up about putting the boot into the unemployed. What do you think is going to happen?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jel Shaker posted:

it’s hard water i think that does that ?
Nah, that's a biofilm. Hard water does have a different taste/mouthfeel, but it's dissolved minerals, which won't form a film on top of the water.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

it's over for us, it's just going to take a horribly long time for the country to actually collapse

there's no fixing anything, they've made it clear that no one is allowed to do anything

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
imo the NHS won’t survive another two governments of this type in anything like its current form, the pressure on staff has gone from challenging to completely unreasonable in the last five years and there’s going to be a huge spate of safety fuckups

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
My waters pretty hard up here. Makes my mouth feel gritty. Should see my gran’s though, that poo poo is CLOUDY.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Cloudy that clears in 5 mins is not a water quality issue it's bubbles. If it doesn't clear though, rip.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I hate these people so loving much

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1774365361359519872?t=d6XX2okajLZ2Vw0nluMNbQ&s=19

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
England could totally sort out it's tap water to be drinkable and a few years later there'd be Facebook groups complaining 'Remember when the water used to be hard'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

England could totally sort out it's tap water to be drinkable and a few years later there'd be Facebook groups complaining 'Remember when the water used to be hard'.

https://twitter.com/vizcomic/status/1774004136545075468?t=M30puzUHFPGoUKu13UaTfA&s=19