Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Agean90 posted:

couldn't even begin to tell you. If the Scots decide to separate and has a real movement still backing it up (ie the year long delay of real brexit doesn't sedate everyone into apathy) then youre watching a country dissolve in real time, which will be unpredictable to say the least
Question is whether it will cleave closer to the USSR, or Yugoslavia.

therattle posted:

I think they do want a deal because they still look after business interests to a degree, but that may well conflict with your b, which is also a powerful factor.

I think when it comes to China and the US we are going to be absolutely shafted.

marktheando posted:

They don't give a gently caress op, all the brexit decisions are made for short term domestic political concerns and personal greed. The people who funded Boris' leadership campaign actually want No Deal
Yeah, the end game is doing to the UK what they did to Russia, and part of that is creating and exacerbating political crises - a deal runs entirely counter to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Every time I see something like this, without fail the person demanding everyone speak the Queens(sic) English has no grasp on how to write in the language they love so much.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

BMX Ninja posted:

Every time I see something like this, without fail the person demanding everyone speak the the Queens(sic) English has no grasp on how to write in the language they love so much.

Fixed.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

twoday posted:

Imagine being some EU bureaucrat having to negotiate any kind of deal with Britain in the coming year

I would just quit my job and start a new career, I think

I'd go to work with a smile on my face every day, if it weren't for the grueling hours.

Telling dumb British snobs to stick it where the sun don't shine as a job is great.

Dance Officer has issued a correction as of 13:48 on Feb 2, 2020

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
the comments on that article btw are full of complaints about how rude it is when people talk to each other in public in a language that is not English, like on the street and in restaurants and on public transport

loving hell in what world do these people live?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

oliwan posted:

the comments on that article btw are full of complaints about how rude it is when people talk to each other in public in a language that is not English, like on the street and in restaurants and on public transport

loving hell in what world do these people live?

That's exactly how racist Americans think too though?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sorry but i bloody agree i aint racist i have worked with people who have been in england for over 5 years and still cant speak english but somehowbget a job. Sorry but f i was to immigrate im making sure im fluent in the mother tounge b4 i even step foot. Why shoukd e have to try and understand them wen they dont want to learn.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
In my experience, the dominant language of this supposed great country is bottomless bigotry.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just don't go to a restaurant again if the staff insist on speaking their mother tongue when they can speak English as it's just downright rude. As for holidays I find that most people speak excellent English and admire the fact they are bilingual. When I'm on holiday I always show respect for the culture and countries I visit. The only place I found this difficult to adhere to was America as they were loud and brash... but maybe that's just the part I visited.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd be happy if I could speak more than one language it's a great asset. However, I do find it rude when people, especially when I'm in a restaurant,  speak in their mother tongue in front of you, it makes me feel uncomfortable as I'm not sure what they are saying? By all means celebrate if you're bilingual but have some consideration for those who are not.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
the fact that to external viewers, British culture seems so entrenched in notions of manners and politeness and “not being rude”, when your entire empire’s whole shtick was showing up to places uninvited and saving everything, like tea-slurping pirates, is very funny

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
On public transport, I find it rude when others don’t just speak their own language, but shout in their own language to each other, it really does make you feel uncomfortable. When we go to other countries on holidays you go their to take in the culture and try as much as you can to learn the language.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

lolleing at the thought of a brit expat even attempting to hold a conversation in spanish in costa del sol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
oliwan just put several of those “funny” quotes in one post instead of quadruple posting the same joke 4 times in a row

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I'm British (sorry) but I live in another country that speaks a different language. I have done so for about 10 years.

When I go home, people very unironically ask me why I live abroad (lol) and why I speak two languages.
When I tell them I have to speak that language to live and work there they are genuinely like ???

Brexit's good because it makes it harder for my friends here to be exposed to the great shame I call my countrymen

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I have a relative who's been an ex-pat in quite a few countries, and always made an effort to learn the language even if she was only there for a few years (they moved around a lot). Apparently Hungarian is one of the hardest to get to grips with.
In Turkey one of the important phrases to learn was "I'm not an American tourist, I live here" to avoid the tourist markup in the Grand Bazaar.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I grew up in a city with a few thousand Brits due to military bases. I have never met anyBrit who spoke any language other than English.

In fact, that's probably the easiest way to distinguish American from Britisih tourists. Americans usually attempt to pepper in at least a few non-English words.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tusk: EU would be enthusiastic if Scotland applied to rejoin

Former European council president’s remarks will boost SNP’s campaign for second independence referendum

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/02/donald-tusk-eu-would-be-enthusiastic-if-scotland-applied-to-rejoin

and so it begins

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Agean90 posted:

Basically there's two ways for Scotland to leave, by election or by violence. BORIS already said they aren't authorizing another Independence referendum so that only leaves one option

Basically there's one way for Scotland to leave: With pressure from the people the England is now negotiating their trade deals with.

It does have the absolutely amazing possible scenario of Scotland having a non-binding referendum and then declaring independence on July 4th.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

twoday posted:

Imagine being some EU bureaucrat having to negotiate any kind of deal with Britain in the coming year

I would just quit my job and start a new career, I think

Its going to be hilarious for the EU negotiators.
The UK is going to go in and say 'we want the same trade, but cheaper on our side. You lot pay us more though for our stuff'.
The only risk the EU people have is bursting a blood vessel from laughing.

I can see the UK getting really pissy about fishing areas, that's going to be funny to watch.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

Basically there's one way for Scotland to leave: With pressure from the people the England is now negotiating their trade deals with.

It does have the absolutely amazing possible scenario of Scotland having a non-binding referendum and then declaring independence on July 4th.

Would go over about as well as the Catalonia referendum.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

That's possible, but im working off the assumption that the conservatives would rather the country be reduced to a smouldering ruin under military occupation than ever dare let someone leave it

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Horseshoe theory posted:

Would go over about as well as the Catalonia referendum.

Doesn't matter.

Scotland has devolved powers, they're perfectly allowed to have a non-binding referendum - permission from Westminster is only required for making it binding - and England deploying enough troops into Scotland to actually stop a referendum from taking place would in itself give justification for a declaration of independence.

Catalonia never had a chance of acting on the results since the EU said no. Britain is no longer an EU member state, so the rule that hosed Catalonia over is no longer in play and honestly the EU wasn't being subtle about how they felt about Scottish independence even before that Tusk statement.

The question is how the US feels about Scottish independence. Westminster might as well be ruled over by a hot air balloon with a bad wig as far as their influence goes.

Agean90 posted:

That's possible, but im working off the assumption that the conservatives would rather the country be reduced to a smouldering ruin under military occupation than ever dare let someone leave it

They'd certainly yell about it, but if the US said "no" on the smouldering ruins, they'd fall in line.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

The question is how the US feels about Scottish independence. Westminster might as well be ruled over by a hot air balloon with a bad wig as far as their influence goes.

Voters couldn't possibly give a poo poo in any direction, but I imagine that if American businesses interests are able to get a strong (exploitative) trade deal with the UK, they'll obviously want Scotland to stay in that deal instead of joining the more powerful EU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Whats the possibility we something like below? Coz that would we make me so happy.

:scotland:: Were leavin ya!
:britain:: No. Not unless you declare independence, and then you've got a civil war on your hands!
:scotland:: Yeah we just joined the EU, so feel free to declare war on Europe ya gits!
:britain::Erm, hangon a tick.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

tote up a bags posted:

I'm British (sorry) but I live in another country that speaks a different language. I have done so for about 10 years.

First thing i'd drop if I ever got out of this place was the notion of being British. I couldn't drop that identity fast enough. Like I wouldn't be able to stop people labeling me but gently caress if I'd ever think about this shithole ever again.

Outrail posted:

Whats the possibility we something like below? Coz that would we make me so happy.

:britain:: No. Not unless you declare independence, and then you've got a civil war on your hands!
:scotland:: Yeah we just joined the EU, so feel free to declare war on Europe ya gits!

None. When has international politics ever happened like that? I'm pretty sure the EU just poaching a bit of the UK would be an act of war. Does that seem likely?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Voters couldn't possibly give a poo poo in any direction, but I imagine that if American businesses interests are able to get a strong (exploitative) trade deal with the UK, they'll obviously want Scotland to stay in that deal instead of joining the more powerful EU

The US loves their Declarations of Independence and Freedom and playing to that could just be good politics on that side.

And at the same time, just England & Wales would be a lot easier to gradually turn into a Capitalist Hellscape than including the rest, who still have antiquated remnants like "dignity".

Outrail posted:

Not without the support of Ireland and the US I'm afraid.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

The US loves their Declarations of Independence and Freedom and playing to that could just be good politics on that side.

Theoretically, sure, Americans might be more supportive than the average person if asked about it, but American voters will never vote or donate a dollar based on Scotland trying to secede from the UK. We barely care about our own wars, the Scotland-UK stuff is too distant and small to make a blip. We didn't give a poo poo about Brexit and Scotland seceding from the UK is smaller than that.

What percentage of Americans do you think can find Scotland on a map? What percentage do you think are aware that Scotland and England are part of the same country?

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 16:55 on Feb 2, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Theoretically, sure, but American voters will never vote or donate a dollar based on Scotland trying to secede from the UK. We barely care about our own wars, the Scotland-UK stuff is too distant and small to make a blip

They don't have to, all that's necessary is a declaration the US supports it. The resources would come from the French, who, uh, are a little eager as is.

I mean yes victory by pandering to vague notions of what people want to think themselves as would seem too stupid and irrelevant to work in a world before, y'know, Brexit happened.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Theoretically, sure, Americans might be more supportive than the average person if asked about it, but American voters will never vote or donate a dollar based on Scotland trying to secede from the UK. We barely care about our own wars, the Scotland-UK stuff is too distant and small to make a blip. We didn't give a poo poo about Brexit and Scotland seceding from the UK is smaller than that.

What percentage of Americans do you think can find Scotland on a map? What percentage do you think are aware that Scotland and England are part of the same country?

lol that you can say that after all the money and guns they sent to Ireland.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

The question is how the US feels about Scottish independence.

Trump is in power for at least the next four years, and he hates and holds a grudge against the SNP for giving the go-ahead to build wind farms near his Scottish golf course, and loves Farage and pals who think Scotland has too much independence already. So we are hosed if we need US support.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

namesake posted:

lol that you can say that after all the money and guns they sent to Ireland.

There's a vast gulf of difference between a small but passionate group of Americans funneling money/guns to the IRA and a critical mass of voters affecting the US government's official policy on Scotland exiting the UK. You might be able to find a few people who care a lot, but you won't find a lot of people who care even a little.

Again, Americans outside the news media and intelligentsia have been completely apathetic to Brexit, and to the first Scottish independence referendum, so why would they care about another one?

The US government's response to any Scottish independence efforts will be grounded in whatever business interests dictate, combined with Trump's personal neuroses if he's still in office.

I say all this as an American - I don't know if it makes me more credible or less credible here, but it seems like useful context either way.

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 17:07 on Feb 2, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

marktheando posted:

Trump is in power for at least the next four years, and he hates and holds a grudge against the SNP for giving the go-ahead to build wind farms near his Scottish golf course, and loves Farage and pals who think Scotland has too much independence already. So we are hosed if we need US support.

There's a way for him to easily get rid of the wind farms now. And he could play this to actually being seen as using American influence to spread freedom and uh, do it more credibly than his predecessors in decades.

Would Trump go for that? I have no idea which is why the entire idea is so entertaining. It would be a huge gamble but it could work.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I'm Dutch and speak English (and French and German) at an alright level. Most countries were I go to I end up trying to learn some of the language. Most citizens are delighted at you for even trying, it's only been English people, so far, who've treated me like I'm mentally addled and shouted at me when I seemed to not catch on fast enough.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Did you miss the *checks notes* $1.5b the US gave Ukraine in aid, in order to fight the Russians? Very few in the general US public cared about that.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Dance Officer posted:

Did you miss the *checks notes* $1.5b the US gave Ukraine in aid, in order to fight the Russians? Very few in the general US public cared about that.

I can't tell what point you're making. Are you being sarcastic? It's true that Americans were extremely apathetic to our foreign policy toward Ukraine until it became clear that Trump was carrying it out in such a wildly corrupt fashion that he could be impeached over it

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

I can't tell what point you're making. Are you being sarcastic? It's true that Americans were extremely apathetic to our foreign policy toward Ukraine until it became clear that Trump was carrying it out in such a wildly corrupt fashion that he could be impeached over it

He's saying the US has military spending way in excess what they need and that they don't care about the actual cost as long as it comes with a chance to show off their new toys, serves their national mythos or comes with the opportunity to piss off old enemies.

Looking Strong on the world stage is far more important than the risk/reward ratio.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

He's saying the US has military spending way in excess what they need and that they don't care about the actual cost as long as it comes with a chance to show off their new toys, serves their national mythos or comes with the opportunity to piss off old enemies.

Looking Strong on the world stage is far more important than the risk/reward ratio.

This is all 100% true but seems irrelevant to the point I was making that American voters don't care about Scottish independence

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

This is all 100% true but seems irrelevant to the point I was making that American voters don't care about Scottish independence

No, but they do care about American Freedom, and giving the Scottish their freedom from the English serves that notion while also being truly rare as an opportunity since it's a military show of force that won't get automatically condemned by half the population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

until it became clear that Trump was carrying it out in such a wildly corrupt fashion that he could be impeached over it

lol