Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i'd need to dig up the quote but theres a real juicy one from the economist telling the government to let indians starve by the millions so that "the indian race will learn that its not the responsibility of the government to keep them alive"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

wasn’t this Churchill’s, like, entire UK-Indian foreign policy?

no, to be clear the media's line was "let them starve, its because they cant take care of themselves,"

the government's line was actively and purposefully starving them to death to clear the surplus population and make profits on food speculation

e: there was one governor in india during the famines who actually started a proper relief work, while thousands and thousands died all around him his whole province only lost a dozen people to famine.
he was crucified in the UK press and called back to parliament to be shamed. next time we caused another famine he did what he was told and let thousands die.

there was also a rich private UK citizen who was so horrified by the famine he set up famine releif out of his own wallet and managed to help hundreds of people survive. the UK government sanctioned him and sent the military police in to break up his famine relief.

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 16:19 on Feb 19, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

it cant really be overstated how intentionally murderous, perverse and cruel the british empire was.

we never learn about it and now we're brexiting as a direct result of never facing up to our digusting racism, its very poetic imo

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i'm struggling not to be jealous of sanders success after our own failure, but i should just be happy instead

*struggles to channel an unbritish emotion*

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Mackers posted:

You are addressing one of the most evil groups of people in the history of the world

Like sure they're just gonna start punching themselves in the face

hah fascists have nothing on the evil of the brits

they're gauche and infantile

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

eh

the labour left whipped itself into a bit of a frenzy up towards the 2019 GE, and had been pretty much openly in denial about their position for about half a year before that. the 2019 manifesto was basically the dream manifesto for a lot of young leftie types (and hell, british labour's 2019 manifesto should be mined by parties of the left throughout europe for years to come, it's got some seriously great policy work) but they were mostly locked into their own communities and simply couldn't comprehend how strong brexit sentiment was - they lost badly becaues of forces they genuinely couldn't understand. it's a very demoralising thing to go through, especially after allowing oneself to hope. *i* felt the gut-punch and i'm not even british + am a veteran of many humiliating defeats. it's hard not to lose confidence and clarity of purpose under such circumstances, and though corbyn is once again sacrificing himself to buy the movement some time before he goes i can absolutely understand the shell-shock.

the answer is patently not mr. remain londoner, though he's broadly acceptable to the cosmopolitan young leftie types and is offering a rather comforting route into culture war mode. corbyn could be trusted in a way RLB simply cannot because he's stood firm against so much bullshit for so long; she just doesn't get the leeway that he does. when you're told in no uncertain terms that you're wrong, it's easier to go for someone who looks like they know what they're doing than to go with the young, female newcomer to the cause.

starmer is offering a return to idpol and through it an uncomplicated sense of moral superiority in opposition, and that's a pivot that the labour activists can mostly accept on its face. we'll see if they actually do, though - i don't think it's a given.

by a return to idpol do you mean a return to economic neolib orthodoxy but with the soothing salve of socially liberal stuff that costs the capitalists nothing but is still broadly unpopular with the cursed UK public?
aka the worst possible position?

i havent actually seen his idpol stuff if true, but then I am a shellshocked brit refusing to pay attention until the last possible moment, which i am reluctantly approaching.

e:

gonadic io posted:

I feel personally attacked

this but unironically lol, it hurts to read even though i've been saying as much myself for 3 months...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yeah the complete capitulation of the membership was something I didn't expect to happen. Then Corbyn lost and it all went so very quiet. And it still is. The left died that day. Utterly destroyed. The only thing I can think of is that people psyched themselves up maybe a bit too hard?

its possible that we'll rebound, i'm begrudgingly coming back to vote against the pod people and i hope others are too

but i hoped other people would vote like me before :thunk:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think part of the problem is there was little reason to understand the forces of brexit. Slightly more than half the country is irredeemably stupid. What can you do with that? Like what could anyone do if they did comprehend the scale of the problem? There is no reasoning with them much like there's no reasoning with a hard core trump supporter. You just have to try and live around them.

yeah, you gotta grab at the lever of power when its accidentally revealed though. one of these days someone else might pull it with you

i'm not sure it was the hype thats hurt us, that at least made for an enjoyable time rather than a bitterly depressing one. what hurt us is how devastatingly hard we lost lol, a small loss would have been manageable.
this calls into question whether 2017 was actually a success or whether it was a feeble swing and miss on the easiest target in the world, which was always the centrist line, and undermining 2017 undermines the entire left narrative of the UK for the past 3 years.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

thinking about it, the US equivalent for "2017 was a victory" is "Bernie Would Have Won in 2016", thats sorta the thesis for the US left atm.

imagine what happens to the american left movement if sanders wins the nomination but then loses the GE against Trump.
and not just loses, a historic, crushing defeat being wiped out in dem strongholds.

and as an added twist everyone has exactly opposing opinions of why it happened

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

tbh id be very surprised if we dont have at least one more brexit election to endure

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

the sanders campaign has many structural advantages, not being responsible for a hostile party for several years among them

yeah its really much easier, plus you get the momentum building up from the primaries, rather than just BANG hes leader - long interim period of endless knife fighting - BANG snap election.
i guess bernie's issue is being sabotaged by the senate, whereas a PM with majority is basically king.

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm spamming this thread now, but if there's another brexit election the context will be the failure of the johnson government's brexit policy

I think that is possible... but its pretty hard to hold a tory government accountable to anything.
I think more likely if it all fucks up they'll just blame everything on the EU and labour which will be dutifully reported verbatim. If we get Starmer we may end up doing some stupid rejoin the EU poo poo and have to lose another one before we get over that hump.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

the tragic thing is that second ref could've been a reasonable compromise if the idiot remoaners hadn't gone all-in on it as the way they were going to stop brexit. had it come up later on as a way of resolving the deadlock it might've been genuinely popular lol

people's vote campaign is one of the worst failures i've seen in my life, they actively hosed up everything they claimed to fight for

nah PV would never be a reasonable compromise, it was always only a remain position because why on earth would a leaver want to redo the referendum they won? not a single one of them did.

its why it annoys me people who say we woulda won if we went full remain, we did go remain, in a loving stupid way ofc but the remainers got what they wanted a gently caress of a lot more than the leavers.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

its gonna happen and its gonna be for the same reasons: overwhelming sabotage from the media and his own party

they have considerably less time to sabotage him in and he's considerably more popular than corbyn was at the start afaik, so its not certain

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

well yes in the idiot world in which we live the second referendum was immediately floated as a way of voiding the first referendum, poisoning the idea. the issue is that as it became obvious that there was no majority for any deal, had the remoaners not been assholes about it to begin with it could've been a way to resolve the thing somewhat amicably one way or the other. it's not, on its face, an unreasonable proposition to actually make a specific brexit deal the issue of a second referendum, it only becomes unreasonable when it's obvious that the only reason you're suggesting it is because it's a way to pretend the first vote never happened

i disagree, i just don't think it was ever neutral or could successfully be pitched that way.
again, if you're a leaver, at what point do you want a 2nd referendum that can overturn your victory?

a 2nd ref without remain, sure, but that defeats the point of a 2nd ref which is kinda the issue lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

What's a good book on the English capitalist genocide in India?

marktheando posted:

I've not read it but heard good things about Late Victorian Holocausts.

yes this one is extremely good, as in i couldn't read much of it without going mad.
thats the one the horrifying economist quote comes from I think.

i've had a bad habit the last few years of buying new empire books then getting so angry i also put them down for months at a time and buy a new one.
i think i have 4 of them on the go.

- i'm furthest into LVH by Mike Davis, mentioned above, its very good but goes all across the empire and also outside the empire too

- From the Ruins of Empire: The Revolt Against the West and the Remaking of Asia by Pankaj Mishra is about how the east basically had their spirit broken and began to beleive in the superiority of the white westerner and then about what broke that illusion and how it was overcome. its very good and fun to read until it got to the opium wars which nobody told me about at school somehow. then you begin to wonder if all people are this cruel with power or if its just the brits.
- Inglorious Empire: What the British Did to India by Shashi Thanoor is the only one that was available on audiobook and is read by the author who has an amazingly posh british/indian accent (he's the guy in the video above). its written by a politician and shows it. its almost funny after the previous ones where millions of peasants are dying while brits cackle and this goes "and the posh indians were passed over again and again for promotion!" it'd be a great book to get a centrist though cause the stuff is genuinely unfair and cruel like everything else.
- Insurgent Empire - Anticolonial Resistance and British Dissent by Priyamvada Gopal I got for christmas and haven't read yet, but it sounds badass. basically a history from the side of the oppressed and how they liberated themselves and how those movements spread to the british working class.

at one point i had some kind of hilarious british epiphany where i was like "hmm all empires are forged and maintained by disgustingly horrific violence and terror... the british empire was the worlds largest empire," so i set out to find some negative histories of the british empire which were almost non-existent in normal bookstores until very recently.
i really didn't learn about any of this poo poo, and our culture white washes it to such a shocking degree. its like prying up your homes floorboards and finding a mountain of bloody corpses.

e: oh and the first one i read was Churchill's Secret War by Madhusree Mukerjee which is required reading for knowing how much churchill loving hated indians.

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 20:22 on Feb 25, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Lol watch coronavirus become serious now its not just for plebs

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he's such a bad boy! well, a bad person. that's kind of similar?

wow whoever gave you that red-text was extremely sane

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

the governments plan is to let coronavirus sweep thru the country and infect and kill everyone as fast as possible.
no closing down of events yet. only suggested isolation for people w symptoms and only for a week. no testing.

we are 29th out of like 34 in europe for ventilators per person, only 4000 in the whole country, and 10x less than the USA

i think that makes our response the worst in the world? anyone do any better?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The centrism is so strong in my dad that even after bojo goes on TV and says he's gonna kill him he's still like "I don't like the man but he's trying to flatten the curve"

He's over 60 and has asthma...
Guardian poisoning is real

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Pyrotoad posted:

On a scale of 'chill' to 'oh gently caress' how worried should I be about my 70yo aunt, who's been hospitalised by a nasty infection following a botched surgery? Leaning very, very heavily towards 'oh gently caress'.

she probably has it if shes in a hospital still, tbh. she's still liklier than not to survive but... not good, sorry.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

namesake posted:

Don't be paranoid. Hospitals are not building shaped coronavirus blobs.

gonna quote this next week

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Juche Couture posted:

In our hospital doctors with direct prolonged contact (including being vomited on) with patients with proven Covid, without masks etc (not originally suspected cases) have been explicitly told that unless they become symptomatic they are not to be tested and to continue working.

Lol. Lmao.

XMNN posted:

been back at the hospital walk in centre and saw a nurse holding a face mask to her mouth tell someone that with their symptoms they shouldn't have even come in and they need to go sit in the pod, which was very reassuring

she'd been sat in there for about half an hour too, so I pray to God it isn't airborne

then the gp asked me if I wanted to be admitted and I said not if I have a choice

Theodyn posted:

I work in the NHS and as far as I've been able to see, just about nothing [has been done to contain the virus].

So very true to form for Alexander de Piffle, then.

Shogi posted:

The hospital site I was covering today had a nurse sent home with fever and a cough. The acute hospital nearby has some of our patients there with physical conditions, so our staff are in and out to support. And they’ve just had a couple of confirmed covid-19 cases. I myself have had a cough and a tight chest all week but in the absence of any advice from higher up we are just being told to crack on and hope we don’t slaughter the elderly wards.

I feel like Britain is in no way prepared for this and the government aren’t taking it at all seriously. Compare us to Norway who have shut down early.

The people voted for pain, and possibly for literal death.

Soylent Yellow posted:

I spoke to my sister today. She works in a hospital away from any reported outbreaks, and says that it's an open secret that they've been getting cases for the past couple of days, but are waiting on confirmations. Not people phoning 111 because they have a cough, but people admitted with serious respiratory distress. Apparently this isn't an outlier, a lot of hospitals are starting to see the same. We all have it, and the official infection rate is going off a ski-jump over the weekend.

lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

namesake posted:

The fact that we're very badly prepared doesn't mean everyone in hospital already has it.

not quite yet, no

it just means its the most likely place in the UK you'll catch it atm

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

Boris Johnson: Also we will not release the scientific advice that led us to this course of action.

British Press: As a bunch of reporters this sounds on the level. Anyone who questions this is an idiot and a traitor.

If the virus knows our strategy that could seriously hurt our negotiating position

Oof thought I was over this, now the fever seems to be back stronger. Been sick for 8 days now, maybe this isn't just a cold lol

Fwiw me and my partner have been self quarantining for a few days despite the advice not to. Bunch of parcels delivered today and demanding I sign with their pen though. RIP those guys

Symptoms have been still fairly mild so far, touch wood, if this is roni it's a good case to get. Oooor I've got roni right after whatever bug I already had

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 01:49 on Mar 14, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

basically, habermas' warning that the ruling classes would try to use quantitative social science to build elaborate systems of control and that such science is inherently unethical was entirely correct.

Any good reading you can recommend? Sounds interesting.

And the obvious unfolding aspect of that kind of thing is that the models are generally comically wrong or oversimplified in some fashion.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It's appropriate that the USAs racist dad is gonna have a much worse time of this than the USA is

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

yeah its up to us to make sure boris and his chums dont survive this one

in a totally theoretical way of course

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/TomTugendhat/status/1239312624346693633?s=20

does anyone know how to make ventilators??? plz send help. tomorrow.

worst response in the world. total loving failed state, amazing to see.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

can we sex up the thread title a little to get some more traffic in here.
i feel like there are plenty of posters who would enjoy watching our demise

i'm thinking like "10% mortality speedrun. no insurance. no vents." or something funnier and clever

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I have some friends who don't really follow UK politics, but have gotten the impression Boris is a clever (or at least moderately intelligent man) who pretends to be a clown.

I've been making the case that his public persona is that of a man pretending to be an idiot solely because it's the best way to hide the depths of just how smooth his brain actually is, and I'm pretty sure his crisis response of "just let people die, which will disproportionally affect his own voters" seals my case.

bojo has said as much himself, he's as stupid as he looks

a LOT of the european response makes sense if you consider that we just racistly assumed chinese science isn't real

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Cythereal posted:

To be honest, Britain's political elite knowingly condemning thousands if not tens or hundreds of thousands of people they're in theory responsible for to preventable deaths because it suits their political and economic agendas feels extremely in-character for the former British Empire.

yeah we never really changed, we weren't forced to. we just got smaller

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

it is absolutely incredible how incompetent the tories are

like everyone expects them to prioritise the economy over public health but only true doom murderheads like us know that they will negligently gently caress both

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Tbh none of the parties are covering themselves in glory here. Iirc loving Lisa Nandy was the first major Labour figure to go "this is nuts" at the gov response and got told to shut up by the coop faction.
She earnt my 2nd pref at least.

I have quite liked RLBs proposals but tbh it's easy for Labour to chat poo poo from the sidelines and it took them way too long to even do that and they were far too measured.

SNP can absolutely get hosed forever though, nicola just going along with bojo saying gently caress all. Lying about Scottish community testing.

As an aside, how amazingly orwellian and British is it that they've rebranded their pitiful testing efforts that result in nobody being tested and not tracking the virus as "surveillance testing" the only thing the gov does anymore is media management and theyr trying to PR the virus away

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

We are required to hate Nandy but love Speccy Wrong Daily.

But I don't really get why and nobody has ever produced any compelling reason other than vague spooky noises about Blue Labour left nationalists which tbh sounds more likely to win than repeating Corbyns playbook but with a different substitute teacher.

She's also the only normal looking person in the race since thornberry dropped.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

this is why i think starmer is a huge mistake - notwithstanding all the trilateral commission stuff, he's labour's Mr London Remain, and that's going to be toxic with the general electorate for a long while

Plus he always looks like he's apologising to you for the smell

He's Cummings ideal opponent lol. Probably so is RLB as an even less convincing Corbyn

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

nandy's problem is imo her heavy association with the chicken coup, maybe the most inept political maneuver in recent british history

Yeah but it's easy to argue now that they all had a point. They were just all inept due to being British mps

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

No, they had no point except to make it easy to portray Labour as disunited.

Fair enough if you want to vote Nandy, do it, but personally I think left nationalism is not actually good even if it might win. Nationalism is cancerous.

I voted Speccy first.

I just think the left isn't gonna win if we leave patriotism solely the domain of the right. British people are super loving nationalist. The old thing about more Palestinian flags than union Jacks at socialist and labour rallies looks mad to normal people.
The common refrain to the left of "don't talk Britain down" is basically true, it might help to hide our hatred of this putrid shithole.

I'm just not sold it always turns to racism considering the Scottish nationalists are more pro immigrant than any English party. Sinn Fein and Plaid Cymru are better than either of our 3 parties too.

And the many liberatory nationalist movements around the world that had to throw our lovely rear end out their country. Could be helpful to throw Westminsters lovely rear end out of ours.

And frankly I don't think the idea that the government should concern itself with the country it runs is a bad one. Especially considering what the UK has done while meddling in other countries.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

drat that post was too long for cspam sorry

Just feel like left labour's bizzare obsession with not appealing to people's love of britain coz we might turn into hitler is self defeating and nonsensical. Especially considering the damage the tories are doing to it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

oh i see you're in a process of kinnockification

LOL is that where I become kinnock or where kinnocks loss turns me into a centrist dad?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It's barfsack ocrumbo tier imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

the former - you're just reminding me a lot of the post-1983 labourites who are completely shell-shocked and start drifting slowly to the right...

Dunno what you mean mate

W-w WE'RE ALRIGHT! WE'RE ALRIGHT!