Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

A Buttery Pastry posted:

On the one hand, the Tories do have a firmer majority to push through stupid deals, but a year doesn't seem like much when you consider the speed at which negotiations happened the last few infinitely long years.

Plus the Tories are probably gonna attempt to somehow trick the EU and roll back negotiations, somehow.

Tories tricking the EU... or even the word negotiations. Hah!

Back when there was a chance the UK might come to its senses the EU took things slowly to not look too harsh if Brexit was reversed or was going to be very soft.

Now the EU's united against the UK and the Tories have zero leverage to negotiate. They're getting a Hobson's choice on the terms and there will be no loving about with extensions. There's no words for how fed up people are looking at Johnson and his lackeys and the EU, overwhelmingly supported by public opinion, will no longer be tolerating dithering about or Dumb Tory Bullshit.

When the deadline hits, there better be big reasons that are in no way the fault of the UK in reality or in the public's eyes for an extension to even be a real consideration. EU's been prepared to walk away from the table since the 2017 election, and Corbyn was the only open question. Even before that significant EU factions were calling for just telling Britain to gently caress off without any deal at all. Now the side calling for leniency has more or less joined them.

Or in shorter terms: Every major faction in the EU that doesn't hate the British in general really hate the Tories now. It's less of a negotiation and more the Tories being presented with two options, labeled "gently caress you" and "gently caress off".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

A Buttery Pastry posted:

My point isn't that they'll be able to, or that the EU will play ball with Tory shenanigans - but that the absolutely best faith negotiation I expect from any Tories would be them trying to trick the EU into a completely lopsided deal. It's basically the UK side of the argument for why a year isn't enough time to negotiate a deal, because one side isn't trying - and as you say - the other side would fight over who would get to push a big red button labeled "Britain sinks beneath the waves".

Now now, not everyone in the EU hates Britain that badly. Everyone in the EU hates the Tories that much, but only some hate Britain in general that much.

The one thing agreed upon by all sides is the lack of trust in the Tories.

I mean, I guess I agree - at this point nobody trusts there will be a deal at all, and all you're getting in this timeframe for the UK is a Hobson's choice for a deal utterly... balanced, given the relative strengths of the sides.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It did not.

There were no bongs and there will be no bongs because the Tories are cocaine or nothing.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Agean90 posted:

Basically there's two ways for Scotland to leave, by election or by violence. BORIS already said they aren't authorizing another Independence referendum so that only leaves one option

Basically there's one way for Scotland to leave: With pressure from the people the England is now negotiating their trade deals with.

It does have the absolutely amazing possible scenario of Scotland having a non-binding referendum and then declaring independence on July 4th.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Horseshoe theory posted:

Would go over about as well as the Catalonia referendum.

Doesn't matter.

Scotland has devolved powers, they're perfectly allowed to have a non-binding referendum - permission from Westminster is only required for making it binding - and England deploying enough troops into Scotland to actually stop a referendum from taking place would in itself give justification for a declaration of independence.

Catalonia never had a chance of acting on the results since the EU said no. Britain is no longer an EU member state, so the rule that hosed Catalonia over is no longer in play and honestly the EU wasn't being subtle about how they felt about Scottish independence even before that Tusk statement.

The question is how the US feels about Scottish independence. Westminster might as well be ruled over by a hot air balloon with a bad wig as far as their influence goes.

Agean90 posted:

That's possible, but im working off the assumption that the conservatives would rather the country be reduced to a smouldering ruin under military occupation than ever dare let someone leave it

They'd certainly yell about it, but if the US said "no" on the smouldering ruins, they'd fall in line.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Voters couldn't possibly give a poo poo in any direction, but I imagine that if American businesses interests are able to get a strong (exploitative) trade deal with the UK, they'll obviously want Scotland to stay in that deal instead of joining the more powerful EU

The US loves their Declarations of Independence and Freedom and playing to that could just be good politics on that side.

And at the same time, just England & Wales would be a lot easier to gradually turn into a Capitalist Hellscape than including the rest, who still have antiquated remnants like "dignity".

Outrail posted:

Whats the possibility we something like below? Coz that would we make me so happy.

:scotland:: Were leavin ya!
:britain:: No. Not unless you declare independence, and then you've got a civil war on your hands!
:scotland:: Yeah we just joined the EU, so feel free to declare war on Europe ya gits!
:britain::Erm, hangon a tick.

Not without the support of Ireland and the US I'm afraid.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Theoretically, sure, but American voters will never vote or donate a dollar based on Scotland trying to secede from the UK. We barely care about our own wars, the Scotland-UK stuff is too distant and small to make a blip

They don't have to, all that's necessary is a declaration the US supports it. The resources would come from the French, who, uh, are a little eager as is.

I mean yes victory by pandering to vague notions of what people want to think themselves as would seem too stupid and irrelevant to work in a world before, y'know, Brexit happened.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

marktheando posted:

Trump is in power for at least the next four years, and he hates and holds a grudge against the SNP for giving the go-ahead to build wind farms near his Scottish golf course, and loves Farage and pals who think Scotland has too much independence already. So we are hosed if we need US support.

There's a way for him to easily get rid of the wind farms now. And he could play this to actually being seen as using American influence to spread freedom and uh, do it more credibly than his predecessors in decades.

Would Trump go for that? I have no idea which is why the entire idea is so entertaining. It would be a huge gamble but it could work.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

I can't tell what point you're making. Are you being sarcastic? It's true that Americans were extremely apathetic to our foreign policy toward Ukraine until it became clear that Trump was carrying it out in such a wildly corrupt fashion that he could be impeached over it

He's saying the US has military spending way in excess what they need and that they don't care about the actual cost as long as it comes with a chance to show off their new toys, serves their national mythos or comes with the opportunity to piss off old enemies.

Looking Strong on the world stage is far more important than the risk/reward ratio.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

This is all 100% true but seems irrelevant to the point I was making that American voters don't care about Scottish independence

No, but they do care about American Freedom, and giving the Scottish their freedom from the English serves that notion while also being truly rare as an opportunity since it's a military show of force that won't get automatically condemned by half the population.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Oh poo poo are we talking about America going to war to free the Scottish? I guess yeah, if it gets that serious, Americans will definitely start caring about it

I don't want to clog up the thread with this argument but I think many posters here are dramatically overestimating the attentiveness, consistency of thought, and overall care with which Americans approach international affairs

Honestly I'm more talking about posturing to discourage the English from trying anything dumb.

But yes, first it needs the US to declare support for the independence referendum, which within-US is pride vs business interests, which is why it would be a huge gamble.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pride-versus-business-interests is not a huge gamble in the US, it's a landslide victory for business interests.

Well, there's where we disagree them.

Mind you I'd have agreed with you before Trump and Brexit, but now it's clear rationality is not to be relied upon.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dance Officer posted:

A US-EU proxy war in the British civil war would be a hell of a thing.

And the exact reason this really hinges on the US declaring either support for or neutrality on Scottish independence.

The EU will not jeopardize their relationship with the US for Scotland, but otherwise they're in support.

And when was the last time the US declared neutrality on anything?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

You think electing Trump over Clinton was a matter of national pride surging over business interests? I'd say exactly the opposite - donor money, and consequently votes, flowed to Trump because even though he's an obvious idiot and a mark of shame for the country, it's better for the rich if the Republicans hold power than the Democrats.

Of course that's not the case with Brexit, but Trump represented the party of business interests in the general election.

I think Trump getting the nomination in the first place was that.

Also are you saying the Democrats aren't the party of business interests?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Outrail posted:

Will they need passports to go yo Europe?

Yes. UK passports might not work without special paperwork where you declare "I'm not crazy" to the EU. It'll take six weeks to process and they'll probably check your social media. Irish passports will continue to work as normal. Not a joke, unlike every other answer I'm about to give.

Outrail posted:

Any tax/income drop that's likely?

Well given you're looking at losing £10 000 per person per year at least resulting from this, it does seem likely you'll be worse off unless the British rich choose to protect the British public.

Outrail posted:

Will they be able to buy baguettes and soft cheese?

No and no. The people voted for pain, yes, but you also chose to stop doing business in French. Cheese is right out.

twoday posted:

In summary, The Netherlands is a land of contrasts. If anyone cares to discuss the low countries in English we can make a thread for that but please let's try to give the brits back their thread, they're going through a lot right now

The EU recommendation that entities not bound by EU trading rules continue to treat Britain as a part of the EU is just that - a recommendation. There's no law that says we should accommodate their peculiarities anymore. If they wanted to have a say, they should be part of a trade union that guarantees them that say.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Freedom to import deformed bananas without having to label them as deformed, you mean.

A great blow against the crushing bureaucracy.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Samovar posted:

And, like most British entertainment, they're inevitably shite.

And racist, don't forget racist.

Britain's children's entertainment is better than average if it's only racist, too.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

comedyblissoption posted:

the unironic "why contain it" plan

I want to know about Domcum's biochem corpus.

No, wait, I absolutely don't, in hindsight.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sneak Lemming posted:

The fever clinics we should be setting up, and then to a quarantine area like a stadium if they are positive.

???

Are you extremely high?

If so, I approve of that but not of your very stupid posting.

You're not the most likely to get the virus at home how would that even work, physically speaking? Are you operating under the miasma theory? Are you, in fact, a time traveler from a (somehow) dumber time?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So, uh, I was looking at the number the UK government says is appropriate for herd immunity, which is 60%.

... so that's 6.6*6 million people that need to be sacrificed to SARS-2 to appease it.

Is the plan literally built on numerology?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dravs posted:

Honestly, at the end of the day, is it worse to have a liberal centrist who passes some of your policies and generally does things like keep the NHS funded, or have a great party leader but the government is run by racist pedophiles who want to kill the poor?

Why not have the left-wing party led by a liberal centrist who has no policies and the government run by racist pedophiles who want to kill the poor?

Just because Corbyn failed doesn't mean that Starmer would have succeeded, and his mug is about the least confidence-inspiring thing in the world.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

can someone please find this lady + get a statement re: bojo tia

https://twitter.com/mreco12/status/1048587039254372353

I'd try asking Necrothatcher, he went viral by similar means.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Uncle Wemus posted:

Is there some kind of magical curse on brexit?

You've got to be a real idiot to support it and a reckless idiot to try to ride that tiger.

The outcomes aren't surprising knowing that.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sneak Lemming posted:

but the finest doctors are keeping him in good spirirts! And Not On A Ventilator

Generally you'd embalm with formaldehyde and methanol, but I guess ethanol will work.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Malcolm XML posted:

yeah it does. the studies where it didn't were basically misfires on viral parts or it never cleared in the first place

You're misinterpreting the data.

We know it clears from your system but we don't know what the immunity is like.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Confirmation would require a government who can't get the lockdown right but does test properly.

We're probably not knowing if the vaccine grants prolonged immunity until it's already rolling out.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
This is C-SPAM not D&D stop falling for the lovely troll.

The only reason to not put therattle on ignore and stop replying to them is if you believe they will make a post worth reading.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Continuity RCP posted:

The ignore button is for cowards, just actually ignore them

I don't need to blast the firehose of stupid into my eyes to know I want nothing to do with it.

Though, yes, if you just choose to never reply to them that works fine too.

Saw ninety posts and thought something big had happened but nah y'all were just getting fishmeched.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

NGC773 posted:

Seeing as the vast majority of low paid workers are in their 20s and that if you are under 50 the chances of you dying from COVID is ridiculously low no one should be worried.

If you have a pre-existing condition then you should follow government advice and take extra measures to isolate. If you are over 50, isolate.

A vaccine is at least 6+ months away, what would you continue a strict lockdown and complete shut down of the economy until then? If you think Brexit is bad, then shutting down an economy for that period will be 10x worse.

Wow you're either very dedicated to trolling or the actual dumbest poster I've seen all year. And I don't say that lightly!

You know loving nothing about welfare systems, about testing and tracing, about how pandemics work, about the economy, the list goes on.

I mean nobody accumulates this many opposite_of_reality.jpg opinions while reading any news with a critical eye but geez the commitment to the bit.

"The welfare system is fine and great compared to other countries with similar wealth", "The lockdown, not the pandemic loving everything up globally, is to blame for the economic slowdown... you made a bingo card didn't you.

You made a bingo card for lovely trolling and are not sharing it with the thread. For shame.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
"The odds for you to die are low and let's not speak of the people for whom this isn't true, or the economic impact of a demand crash."
"People have to work to live even if there's a massive unemployment spike."
"Lifting lockdown while the situation is all hosed up is the same as lifting lockdown when you have proper controls in place."
"SA is worse than Reddit."
"Tories will sort their poo poo out in time for the election."

"Let's just ignore all the long term effects for the hell of it."
"The UK is actually the best in the world and the evidence shouldn't enter into it."
"Just Google to find out how I'm right."
"We have hosed up but too late to fix anything now."
"Something Something Communism" (free space) (alab)

"If the system has failed the government/free market can surely fix it."
"I don't read clickbait/twitter/newspapers"
"I'm just hated because I have the wrong ideology not because I'm acting like a dipshit."
"National Credit Card!"
"Stop insulting me and debate my nebulous, undefended points."

We need ten more to figure out his entire bingo card.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jarf posted:

We're so hosed. Anybody else getting real down about this?

I feel like the future for my kids in this country is gonna be a dystopian capitalist nightmare where we have inherited the worst parts of America.

Can we stop this? Is the damage already done? Do we have to just hope that come the next GE we swing to the left?

Who am I kidding. When the next GE comes along and the country has been ravished by no-deal brexit, privatised healthcare and shady trade deals the majority of the population will still blame Corbyn...

I had a discussion about this a few days back.

And the conclusion was that England is the world's revenge on the English for the Genocide Empire. Having the English do to the English what the English did to various folk unable to defend themselves has this certain symmetry to it that evokes justice while containing none.

Here's hoping the Republic of Scotland and Ireland can separate themselves from the mess.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Continuity RCP posted:

Doesn't seem fair, I never got to do any empire but I have to live with this poo poo

I did say it evokes justice but contains none.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dr Pepper posted:

Wait let me see if I've got this straight.

With school basically canceled for a year because of COVID, in the UK the schools are just... automatically assigning students grades? And naturally the poor ones are being given arbitrarily worse scores?

Not arbitrarily.

Deliberately. Because they're poor and thus not as human as the rich kids.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Well they just legalized...

... wait, lemme get this right...

... "loving anything if the government is doing it".

Starmer is being very forensic about it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

90s Cringe Rock posted:

there's a stupid self-harm exception

Their masters are currently saying "it's nothing, it's nothing, we must save the economy" after they kneecapped the economy by picking a fight with literally everyone.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

CredulousAtBest posted:

wow this is about to get real hosed up huh

No, no.

Austerity deaths, government spies marrying targets and massive pedophile conspiracies? That was real hosed up.

This is about to get boschian.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

CactusWeasle posted:

Are they data points or Covid particles

Both.

Interviewing people in Britain right now is pretty dangerous.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

therattle posted:

That quote is one element of why he left. There were others. And I know that JC was "present but did not participate". He didn't lay the wreath at the graves of people who murdered and castrated Israeli athletes - it was just the people he was with! I mean, it's better, sure, but it's nor really great.

Do shut up.

At least until you've read Labour's internal report on the issue.

You're repeating pure propaganda.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

therattle posted:

Would that be the report that Thomas Gardiner said was intentionally misleading? Propaganda goes both ways. That report isn't necessarily the gospel truth.

Are you some kind of werecontrarian who starts spouting extremely stupid poo poo like this once the full moon approaches?

No poo poo you can't trust Labour unconditionally. But the same absolutely applies to the Tories. You can't take one side as lies and the other as gospel and expect to get rewarded unless you're a journalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
There absolutely are a bunch of racists in the Labour party. Problem being that Corbyn was actively prevented from doing anything at all about the problem.

And Mr Forensic is, uh, sure doing a lot about the problem.