Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Squizzle posted:

starmer has a real powerful “unattractive guy w a good stylist” look

posh Greg Davies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

multijoe posted:

I honestly hope the EU throws the expat community to the loving wolves, deport the lot of them and forfeit their homes

I'm sure this would be a great comfort to all the european immigrants the UK deports in retaliation.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
You don't actually have to define people as explicitly and purely good or bad unless you are God.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Surely there's a better choice.

Maybe somewhere in the Levant?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
No one cares about council elections.

Or Northern Ireland.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The reality is that everyone knows denying a NI independence vote is a lot more likely to result in bombings and firefights than trying it in Scotland. That's the actual leverage.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Blockbuster didn't even make it to the age of Netflix

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Maybe they just really liked the islands and decided to stay

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

projecthalaxy posted:

So what is he until then? King elect? Acting King? Probationary Emperor?

Mainly it's just that marching an army on London to declare yourself the real king is considered impolite after the coronation.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I assure you that anything past my local Sainburys is "the north"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

i say swears online posted:

can the uk abolish the monarchy or itself through a simple majority?

This topic was hotly debated last time parliament abolished the monarchy.

It turns out the answer is "political power grows out of the barrel of a gun".

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

kecske posted:

why are there so many MPs at the kebab awards? I refuse to believe that any of them have inhaled a shameful doner at 3am

A few days after my local MP lost her seat some years back I saw a story in the local paper about an assault in a kebab shop at 3am that listed her as a witness.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-64820618

quote:

Aboriginal spears taken by British explorer Captain James Cook and his landing party when they first arrived in Australia in 1770 will be returned to the local Sydney clan.

The spears were taken when indigenous people retreated into the bush after a violent encounter with the British landing party in which muskets were fired

Simply no way to know which party was firing muskets or at what.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Tankbuster posted:

wasn't haiti just full of weird tropical diseases?

"Our avenging climate", as Dessalines put it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Regarde Aduck posted:

Lib Dems should try for those disenfranchised labour voters but I guess no one trusts them and they'd only alienate their few remaining base voters

They have nothing to offer.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

redleader posted:

that church with all the dead famous people underneath it

It's already a car park.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Biplane posted:

I'm having brain troubles trying to figure this one out. Your benefits get reduced because an extra bedroom means you can rent it out or something? Potential income? Can you even sublet in the UK?

It only applies to social housing, not renting from a private landlord. The idea in theory, is for people who aren't fully occupying a council house to downsize so a larger family can live there. There are no smaller properties to move into. It does not work great.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Cerebral Bore posted:

was britain ever that good at chess? i guess you had nigel short but that's about it

Britain had many excellent chess players before the game was ruined by people "trying to win".

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Money is better than food stamps.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
People with serious addiction problems just sell food stamps for below their listed value. It is worse than money in every way, like a book voucher.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Biplane posted:

How and why would a british pm have any influence over a european football league?

Because half the teams in it would be from the premier league, and the government can in fact tell them what to do.

Jeremy suggested making them all fan owned lmao

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Ardennes posted:

So has Starmer stated what his plan is for the fiscal mess he is being left with? I remember a while back he made a no new taxes pledge, but unless he is going back to early 2010s austerity

It's that.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Like Polaris, Trident has never worked. They don't need to, so long as you don't do anything stupid like testing them.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Nonsense posted:

By the way it would be a good idea to keep harping on the Kate issue because if it got bad enough maybe William and Kate gently caress off from wanting the crown. The UK is a nation of children and should be run by a boy king.

There's certainly some poetry in the UK being ruled by a boy king's paedophile regent.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Just be careful not to eat too many baked potatoes, or you might run over your own head.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
At least it's better timing than when they raised the age from 16 to 18 while I was 17. That was an incredibly irritating year.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

keep punching joe posted:

The shifting age smoking ban is stupid because it's basically unenforceable. Either ban it or don't, this proposed law is dumb.

How is it any more difficult to enforce than the current one? The age just goes up every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Jel Shaker posted:

yeah it’s very enforceable and also a great way to justify stop and search

still a good thing, but a straight ban would be better even if everyone knew a gran who smoked a pack every day for her entire life and then died immediately the day after quitting

It's still not illegal for underage people to buy or smoke cigarettes.