Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Also those look like just the regular gates, for EU citizens, used by Brits for at least another year, that are in a busy airport for the day that everybody is going home after Feb half term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Dravs posted:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Cummings hiring someone into eugenics for ideas that seem bad to most..... Getting definite 'final solution' vibes from this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_4J4uor3JE

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I went hunting for the pamphlet and found this because of course I did

lmao forever

I could see if I could get one for you at the weekend, if you can't find it elsewhere.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Grape posted:

lol where were you that people didn't teach about slavery

Slavery in America though, I too was never really taught about the British role in the slave trade.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

V. Illych L. posted:

eh

the labour left whipped itself into a bit of a frenzy up towards the 2019 GE, and had been pretty much openly in denial about their position for about half a year before that. the 2019 manifesto was basically the dream manifesto for a lot of young leftie types (and hell, british labour's 2019 manifesto should be mined by parties of the left throughout europe for years to come, it's got some seriously great policy work) but they were mostly locked into their own communities and simply couldn't comprehend how strong brexit sentiment was - they lost badly becaues of forces they genuinely couldn't understand.

I feel personally attacked

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

multijoe posted:

Yeah for better or worse the next election shouldn't be being fought over Brexit, which severely undermined Labour for the past two years.

For the same reason I'm alot more optimistic about Bernie in the US, for all their culture war bullshit they don't have an issue that has driven their entire country completely psychotically insane in the same way Brexit ended up doing here

Plus he's jewish mostly immune to antisemitism claims

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

quote:

Councils, schools and the public sector will be given powers to suspend laws restricting classroom sizes,
Won't...that just make the spread worse?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
What if we...killed all the poor? Would that help?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
If anything, unlike trump, he's still not saying the quiet parts loudly and is being reasonably restrained.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

V. Illych L. posted:

frankly, there's no reason to worry before you have to. hope that she's out of there ASAP though, because every medical doctor is going to have covid-19 pretty soon

why has corbyn not utterly blasted the government response? the plan is transparently evil

Maybe he is, how would we know?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Dmitri-9 posted:

Instead of the country waiting it out for a month in genteel quarantine the Tories are going to reenact Outbreak followed by Children of Men.

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1238880069457764352

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
That's going to change once they're locked up inside - even if, funnily enough, it's a more valid part of the response.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
A convenient solution,

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

still sort of waiting for the first actual government response, tbh

saying "huh maybe think about not gathering so much" doesn't count.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the government has advised people not to go to bars and restaurants, and has advised people not to hold large gatherings

all the places closing and events shutting are private responses. which sucks for insurance!

no you see yesterday it was upgraded to, quote, strong advice!

Also the schools are shut at least, finally.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The domain https://www.isborisjohnsondeadyet.com has been bought by somebody fyi

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The eulogies are going to be nauseous. Heroically leading the incredible response.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Captain Splendid posted:

How much do people want to bet that, whatever the outcome, it's going to be touted by the government as a clear sign the NHS needs more private investment?

He's in the private hospital part of St Thomas though, not the NHS part.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Communist Thoughts posted:

The best outcome for the UK rn is bojo makes a swift recovery after a nasty scare.
Basically any other option just results in adding another 2-4 weeks to the timer before the government starts actually getting its poo poo together.

They basically declared the fake lockdown and so far have done absolutely nothing else apart from blame the public for the spread.

I have been told by a doctor friend that there's no such thing as a full recovery from intubation and ventilation at his age.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Sekenr posted:

Honest question, why is doctorate so stressful?

For me it was the knowledge that like 90% of phd theses are never read after completion. I didn't feel like my topic would be one of the lucky ones so I was being asked to work on a document for 5 years which I might as well have instead thrown away.

I did not finish it.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
And don't forget on the mountain next door (real grad jobs) everybody is getting an escalator to the top and getting paid a shitload to do so. At least that's how it was in compsci.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
PM 'must rest up', says dad Stanley

How is this even a headline?

gonadic io has issued a correction as of 12:47 on Apr 10, 2020

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
c.f. Israeli birth certificates listing nationality as "Jewish"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

V. Illych L. posted:

party activists actively trying to lose the election to change the leadership at least sheds a lot of light on proceedings

See also: America

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Shinjobi posted:

I least Boris will live to see the fruits of his....well I wouldn't call it labor, exactly...

CON+20

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
This is the correct, if expensive approach. Bill Gates is doing the same thing (with I believe 8 different candidates). If trials fail you've thrown away a lot of money producing a useless production line. If they pass you've saved previous time. And the UK is basically all or nothing on a vaccine given our dismal testing failure.

Hospitals are starting to run out of PPE now - I had a doctor friend complaining that they've given him nurse's scrubs.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I also saw some places skipping animal trials and moving straight to human ones. I would not like to be one of those test subjects.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The real issue IMO is going to be the pressure for the trials to pass. If they fail, and was only building one factory in advance that's going to look real bad - even if the vaccine is literal poison that's tomorrow's problem versus saying that vaccinations have started.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm the implication that Piers Morgan and Boris Johnson have ever not been on the same side.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Maybe once on the lacrosse pitch back in Bullwinkle's academy for youngsters with societally gifted parents.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
This is greatly reassuring to me, thanks.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
What he nearly did for the uk anyway

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Can't wait until the secure and private NHS location tracking app proves, less than secure or private. It's honestly inevitable.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

considering the shameful history of this country, you absolutely do not have to be respectful. Our press on the other hand are probably spinning this into something positive or somehow the fault of the EU/immigrants/Labour depending on the outlet

Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
A nanny looking after a child would let somebody go to work but a family member...pause. Well there's the risk you see.

The fact that these rules are such obviously bullshit is just going to make people pay even less attention to them than they otherwise would.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Squizzle posted:

“stay alert” for fuckin what

Any coughing done by a minority

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Lmao at it originally not applying to France.

IMO it's quite a good policy...three months ago... not so sure it does too much now.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
More like Dominic Goings

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Please welcome our new PM: Dominic Cummings

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bust Rodd posted:

BoJo still looks sickly

gonadic io posted:

I have been told by a doctor friend that there's no such thing as a full recovery from intubation and ventilation at his age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/GentlemanNikki/status/1264856415379783680