Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

One time my mum (who doesn't live in the UK) called me while I was waiting on a bus to get home from work and we spoke in my native Czech, as one, you know, would; and this old woman leaned out of a window above me and screamed she's calling the police so that the immigration comes and gets me. I hastily went away after that beacuse gently caress getting detained by them even for a bit.

I've also had a number of both more and less overt complaints from neighbours about the same thing, that is hearing me on the phone, be it through a wall or on the street, speaking another language with my mum.

The level of UK cuntiness about foreign languages is simply astounding. And these were very middle class areas in major cities, too.

I've also had a drunk guy shout at me "what loving right do you have to be here" once.

e: All the same I kinda like Britain. Must be a masochist I guess.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Feb 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Apparently they can stay in yokohama instead since they tested negative, even.

They'd have to pay for their own food and accomodation though, that might be the issue.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

The wikipedia page about them has some choice quotes:

quote:

In 2014, UNESCO offered to mediate between Greece and the United Kingdom to resolve the dispute, although this was later turned down by the British Museum on the basis that UNESCO works with government bodies, not trustees of museums.

More like: Get hosed we're Britain you'd just rule against us.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 01:50 on Feb 19, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Thanks will pick it up on payday.

Speaking of pay:

UK Wages back above pre-economic crisis levels

That's ... good, right?

Analyst Andy Verity posted:

But to many workers, this minor economic landmark will serve less as a cause for celebration and more as a reminder that the past decade has been the worst for improvements in living standards in more than 200 years.

The 2008 crisis, caused in part by reckless mismanagement of the banks, is one reason (not the only one) that the average pay packet has failed to do what we used to take for granted - i.e. increase by more than inflation.

lol

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

And that's the last decade i.e. from 2010, so even accounting for the crisis itself.

Tories: very good for the economy

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I 'like' (scare quotes b/c seriously wtf) how BBC linked the recent attack in Germany with accepting refugees from the middle east

BBC Security Correspondent posted:

The problem has been particularly acute in - but not confined to - the east of the country, in the former East Germany. There, unemployment levels have been higher than in the rest of Germany and a simmering resentment, by some, of the recent immigrant arrivals has manifested itself in arson attacks on hostels.

In 2015 Germany opened its borders to an estimated 1.5 million refugees from the Middle East. Although the number of subsequent incidents involving them has been very small, their arrival has been used by far right extremists to stoke ethnic tensions and recruit more young men and women to their cause.

see Germans should have just deported the lot of them like we did :britsay:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

What's a good book on the English capitalist genocide in India?

Empire: The Rise and Demise of the British World Order and the Lessons for Global Power by the prominent brexit supporter Niall Ferguson, as my conservative aunt once helpfully gave me for christmas.

Careful when you hurl it across the room it's heavy.

e: There's also his "Civilization: The West and the Rest" and his lauded BBC series with the same name as Empire

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Feb 25, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I like the blurb:

blurb posted:

A bestselling historian shows how the British Empire created the modern world, in a book lauded as "a rattling good tale" (Wall Street Journal) and "popular history at its best" (Washington Post)

The British Empire was the largest in all history: the nearest thing to global domination ever achieved. The world we know today is in large measure the product of Britain's Age of Empire. The global spread of capitalism, telecommunications, the English language, and institutions of representative government -- all these can be traced back to the extraordinary expansion of Britain's economy, population and culture from the seventeenth century until the mid-twentieth. On a vast and vividly colored canvas, Empire shows how the British Empire acted as midwife to modernity.

Displaying the originality and rigor that have made Niall Ferguson one of the world's foremost historians, Empire is a dazzling tour de force.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Robo Reagan posted:

lol im getting some real chinese nationalist but british vibes from that. every empire was the greatest of all time and responsible for the emergence of the modern world

The best part is he's not just some random tosser, he was a professor at NYU and then Harvard for a while.

Then again the majority of his wikipedia page is about his "controversial" opinions. He thinks Britain should not have gotten involved in the world wars, for one.

There's also this delightful bit:

quote:

At a May 2013 investment conference in Carlsbad, California, Ferguson was asked about his views on economist John Maynard Keynes' quotation that "in the long run we are all dead." Ferguson stated that Keynes was indifferent to the future because he was gay and did not have children. The remarks were widely criticised for being offensive, factually inaccurate, and a distortion of Keynes' ideas.

e: lest someone thinks he's a pacifist, his argument for not getting involved in the world wars is that it would have let Britain split the world with Germany after they'd have won

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 20:12 on Feb 25, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

redleader posted:

the us also doesn't have the insane cross-party death cult that was/is Leave. without brexit, i think corbyn had a non-zero chance of pulling it off (disclaimer: foreigner opinion)

the world anti-corruption drive, or how sanders got epstein'd

If he's actually president by then I'd like to think epsteining him wouldn't be quite so easy. For all the complaints about the MIC and US intelligence they do put a lot of effort into preventing something like that.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Dravs posted:

SNOW!

Countdown to traffic cause as everyone drives like little squirrels. I'm sure it will be the fault of the EU.

You are jesting but: EU Motor Insurance Law in the UK: Accidents on the road and responsibilities off it

quote:

Given the UK’s reluctance to comply with EU law in this area, Brexit will remove many crucial protective rights enjoyed by third party victims of motor vehicle accidents. The only safeguard against the UK’s continuing breach of EU law is membership of the EU. There are so many breaches of the law (some highlighted in the Roadpeace case and accepted by the High Court, others dealt with in cases including Delaney v Pickett at the Court of Appeal) that those protections that should be available at present, but which are not, will never be achieved once Brexit has been concluded. Further, the remedy which has at least provided some scope for redress, state liability, will also be lost following the UK’s withdrawal from the EU.

In other words it's the bloody EU inflating are accident casualty numbers by insisting that third-party victims count.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

It's complicated (for one it mainly concerns accidents on private land) but the gist of it is that sometimes you get run over by someone and you're only getting money from the UK gov b/c they don't comply with the EU regulations. Which now you won't.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Feb 27, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

This is Brit toff shitlordism at it's finest:

Fake Lord's cricket card: James Lattimer fined £10k

A guy buys an elite cricket club card in an ebay auction, glues his own photo to it, the "faked" ID is found while police search him for an urelated matter.

Note that there is no there's no proof he's tried to use it, and given it was expired it's debateable how much luck with it he would have.

Here's what follows:

quote:

In what the judge at Southwark Crown Court described as a "despicable" act, James Lattimer bought the card of a Lord's member who died in 2014 on Ebay and glued his own photo on it.

Lattimer, 51, from Bournemouth, was found with the faked pass in August.

He admitted fraud, was fined £10,000 and given a suspended prison sentence.

It costs £1,000 to become a member of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), known colloquially as the home of cricket, and there is a £600 annual fee thereafter.

The court heard there was a 29-year waiting list with 12,000 names on.

Edmund Blackman, prosecuting, said when police spoke to Lattimer about a separate matter, he appeared to be drunk and the only identification he had on him was the "much sought after" card.

The card was in a wallet showing it was valid for 2013 but it had been folded so the date was not visible, the court was told.

Jonas Milner, representing Lattimer, argued his client's fraud had been "an unattractive and naive ploy by a cricket fan who let his desperation to experience the pavilion get the better of him".

'Despicable'

Judge Michael Grieve QC said Lattimer, who owns a corporate cleaning company, had been "publicly disgraced".

He told the defendant the use of a dead person's identity for any purpose was "despicable".

The judge added: "The forged document was your passport to a prestigious world and the best seats in the ground.

"What you gained was very sought after. You acquired the privilege people wait half a lifetime to acquire."

In addition to the fine, he ordered Lattimer to undertake 150 hours of unpaid work and gave him a 10-month jail term suspended for 18 months.

:owned:

Also gently caress me a club you have to wait 30 years to get in, FFS. I'd almost say it's praxis except he did get in a lot of trouble for it. After all he did commit the ultimate crime of outraging British toffs. Wonder if the judge is a member.

Makes me think about people who buy the stupid play buttons youtube sends to the creators who get a lot of subscribers.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Mar 11, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

There's a new tv drama called Belgravia based on the same premise as downton abbey. Apparently not very successful. Here's the Daily Mail take as to why:

Daily Heil posted:

Writing in the Daily Mail, Jan Moir wrote: "Perhaps the problem is that so far there has been very little action from the Belgravia below-stairs mob, a fetid collection of stew guzzlers who plot against their Trenchard masters."

:guillotine:

Imma a fetid stew-guzzler, AMA

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

XMNN posted:

well you see the great British public are mature and reasonable adults who can be trusted to make responsible decisions for themselves, their families and their fellow citizens based on the sound, evidence-based and strongly-worded advice of their government, and they definitely won't e.g. carry on going down to spoons for 3-5 pints every lunchtime until they're closed down by the police/so choked with the dead and dying that you can't get to the bar anymore

Yeah I thought it was really funny when Tim Martin was moaning about his sales declining a whole 12%.

Even accounting for people drinking more than normal that's abysmal effectiveness.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

So Britain has finally taken the steps every other affected country did a while ago, with 33 deaths in a day, Boris having his big Chuchillo-Merkelian Wir Schaffen Das moment.

And media's eating it up, because of course.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

MikeCrotch posted:

eh it seems like Rishi Sunak is the one people are creaming themselves over because he's so ***reasonable***

maybe on social media, but BBC is all in on the "PM HATH DECLARED" wagon

e: see this article

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 21:46 on Mar 20, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

have they restarted wider testing yet?

or would that be a step too far

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Communist Thoughts posted:

lol "virus fight"

well it turns out virus appeasement doesn't work, so, reluctantly, Albion sets its sight towards war once more

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Probably better to ask in UKMT, tis' the mountains of shitposting green here.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Vile Antisemitism: I stand by the comments made by my jewish colleague [which were labeled as antisemitism by Israeli media]

Definitely not antisemitism: HaHaHa look at how this jewish man struggles with eating this BACON butty, stop him from making PIG'S BREAKFAST out of Britain!

It breaks my brain.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 01:57 on Apr 8, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Spergin Morlock posted:

government: "we have a boat doing donuts in support of medical workers"
medical workers: "can we have adequate PPE?"
government: "no"

This is actually even more hilarious than them just missing the deadline three times.

See the first time the Downing Street spokesman said:

quote:

No 10 initially said it did not take part because the UK was “no longer a member” and was “making our own efforts”.

Then the second time they've just said they were not invited in time:

quote:

Behind the scenes British officials maintain the UK did not receive an invitation in time to join four EU procurement schemes - an argument made last week by Number 10.

So the EU went out of their way to prolong the deadline and officially invite them this time.

Only for the Brits to take a big fat poop all over that and miss the deadline again:

quote:

The veteran German MEP dismissed UK government claims they missed an email. “It was not that they were not aware, but it was a decision not to participate,” he said. “If you are interested you don’t wait for an email.”

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Communist Thoughts posted:

the first vaccine is definitely gonna be poison lol

lol I worked with one of them in a biomed company, the "we're really confident" bit is absolutely just bluster

Pretty sure they're throwing poo poo at the wall and praying that it works, at least that's how it was.

e: OTOH it's probably a good thing to make more of it just in case. It's largely paid for by investors anyway. It costs eye-watering sums to do trials.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Apr 19, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

gonadic io posted:

The real issue IMO is going to be the pressure for the trials to pass. If they fail, and was only building one factory in advance that's going to look real bad - even if the vaccine is literal poison that's tomorrow's problem versus saying that vaccinations have started.

I have no idea how it would be in such a high-profile case, but from what I've seen the later-stage trials are kept pretty separated from the researchers precisely for that reason. It's on an entirely different level than publishing a spurious "vaccines cause autism" research paper which has very little scrutiny in comparison. It would have to be government pressure that I'd be more worried about, if anything.

e: I'm not even sure if the later trials are being done in the UK, it's not necessarily the case.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 16:57 on Apr 19, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Pipski posted:

Trust me, there are lots of little ways to disappear inconvenient clinical trial data if the sponsor is under pressure to produce a particular result -- and regulators are frustratingly bad at picking up on them. That said, it's still way more common for it to happen by accident or through incompetence than deliberately.

Fair enough, just saying it's not as easy as the researchers making up whatever false data they want, unlike with publishing a spurious paper.

e: I've only ever seen a few that were done by my former employer, so I'm sure you're more knowledgeable. That said it was by far the least bollocks part of the industry.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 15:41 on Apr 20, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

MikeCrotch posted:

There was a trial recently where the sponsor straight up submitted the wrong data, regulators immediately sent it back and they can't resubmit for a year lol

Right, and that was the result.

Compared to that the PR information makes every pharmaceutical seem like panacea that will cure half a dozen things at once, just need to get the inconvenient testing out of the way, honest guv.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 15:55 on Apr 20, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

SelenicMartian posted:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.06.20092999v1

Turns out, being poor and off-white kills you in British hospitals, statistically speaking.

No wonder Boris still walks.

It's literally more deadly than having had cancer or having HIV, in covid-19 terms.

Especially looking forrign, being poor is a bad preexisting condition but not that fatal.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Bryter posted:

The EU has poo poo the bed so badly with their response that they've turned loving Varoufakis into a Brexiteer lol

But, uhh, he's always been a Brexiteer, more or less.

Euroxiteer at least.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Bryter posted:

He's always been "remain and reform", despite his criticisms. That's the whole point of Diem25.

Still a bit weird to go so much against the Covid-19 response of all things. I get that it's hit Greece hard because tourism, but the overall response could have been worse compared to what other places are doing.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

LMBO

Brexit: UK urges EU to uphold rights of British expats

I mean, uhh. Uhm. Right.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

BMX Ninja posted:

Fox took the station off-air a few years back. It was averaging around 2,000 viewers a day, a fraction of the number of people employed by Fox in the UK.

Far too much competition in the shithead media department

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

oliwan posted:

uh, when did leave.eu go full, literal, fash?

They literally used a nazi poster with ME refugees instead of jews years back.

Oh and they are very concerned about Labour antisemitism of course.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Can anyone tell me why the UK is doing a quarantine for foreigners now when the UK is the second hardest hit place in the world. And even compared with the US it's not faring particularly well on a per capita basis considering the population difference.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Spangly A posted:

oh nothing, sometimes if you jump in front of the right-wing bingo it forces them to try and make an argument they didn't learn thirdhand from fox news

Am I out of date? Somalia spent a few years as the go-to country for ridiculous comparison/ "this is what the left wants"/ "actually we're better than other places so you should never criticise glorious britannia" and so on. Ilhan Omar seems cool so I assumed it's still a relevant take when people start going on with pathetic shite like ncg

It's still a fair take IMO, they are a bit better but not massively so. Lybia's a good one too.

Venezuela isn't really fair or all that similar I think. Not much libertarianism to be had there.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

crispix posted:

I can't believe Jeremy Corbyn got high with Putin and sang IRA songs while dancing like a bear with a woman's bra and panties on over his suit :mad:

stop spreading false rumours

they were clearly antisemitic IRA songs he was dancing to

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

MikeCrotch posted:

The antivaxx ones where its "little Marcie is in heaven now, she had measles but we stayed strong and didn't give her the jab, tell us we did the right thing" are the grimmest thing

The interesting thing about vaccines is that there is an odd conflict between concrete and potential risk even among well-informed people. Which humans are notoriously bad at evaluating.

Every year a few dozen people worldwide die of adverse reactions to vaccines (as from other medicines as well), people who would otherwise not have died. Despite that vaccines lower overall death rate significantly more. But I can see how if you're a parent it's easy to go "I don't want my child to potentially die from this vaccine, however infinitesimally small is the risk, they're never going to get the disease anyway".

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 15:24 on Jul 19, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

e: nm, apparently they changed it

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 11:53 on Aug 13, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm having a devil of a time understanding what's going on here

are people getting admitted or rejected based on actuarial tables of their grades because the actual grades are taking too long? do teachers not have the power to set their students' grades but only predict them? what

it's because the teachers can't be trusted, they would give poor kids good grades and that just won't do

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm sincerely bewildered - is there a summary of this stuff anywhere?

Basically the current pass rates look like this:

And they made an algorithm to make sure they remain broadly the same (even then they were too generous to posh schools, but it's within reason).

The issue is that predicted grades given by the teachers are more equal between school types, and that really wouldn't do. So they reduced predicted grades from teachers such that the number of students passing for each school and school category is roughly the same as last year.

This is compounded by the fact that even within any given school predicted grades significantly favour priviledged pupils compared with actual exam results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

LMBO:

BBC posted:

Princess Anne has been promoted by the Army and Royal Air Force to mark her 70th birthday.

The Princess Royal - the Queen's second child - will take up the role of general and air chief marshal, bringing her ranks in line with her rank in the Royal Navy.

Princess Anne gets military promotion as she celebrates 70th birthday