Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Samovar posted:

Could you put this into context for an absolute idiot?

Sinn Fein are having an incredibly good election and a bunch of politicians from Fianna Fail and Fine Gael (the 2 major parties) are in danger of losing their seats

Sinn Fein might get the most 1st preference votes but lose out on seats because they didn't expect to do so well and didn't run 2 people in every constituency (Ireland has multiple MPs per constituency)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

silvergoose posted:

Mine is the Virginia Confederate battle flag that Minnesota captured on the field of battle, Virginia keeps asking for it, and Minnesota keeps saying gently caress you we won this from traitors.

Meanwhile Diane Feinstein had to be lambasted into not flying a Confederate flag from San Francisco city hall

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
"The way slavery is taught in schools, you would think the British established the slave trade just so they could abolish it."

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Captain Splendid posted:

So sad to hear of her imminent suicide.

Is Jeffrey Epstein the centre of a new hyoid bone deficiency epidemic???

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
For me the British Museum was just kind of...boring? It just seemed like a bunch of really old stuff we had nicked.

By comparison I went to the se IWM holocaust exhibit too and it was really great, and in the main hallls they would have stuff like British army land rovers used in Northern Ireland next to examples of pro-republican gear. It was neat!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Bust Rodd posted:

hmmm yes be hornier for pedo sex traffickers, a fine look

Better than people being horny as hell for Theresa May tbh

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

multijoe posted:

The membership have already established themselves as clowns. First they bounce the leadership into backing a 2nd referendum that handed an election to the Tories, and now that's blown up in our faces they're going to follow it up by electing the 'unifier' candidate backed by Progress & Labour First and voluntarily driving the grassroots left extinct. At this point we're a worse failcountry than the loving US

Eh, we would have lost even had we stuck with a plan of enacting Brexit. Look at the polls from early 2019, Labour was haemorrhaging votes to the Lib Dems and Greens (and still lost 2 million votes to them in 2019 compared to 2017)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

multijoe posted:

Yeah for better or worse the next election shouldn't be being fought over Brexit, which severely undermined Labour for the past two years.

A huge factor over the next few years is going to be;

1. Whether Boris even attempts to keep his election spending promisess (which it seems like he will not The Saj is gone)
2. Whether this is actually effective and the Tory government is competent

While the Tories won a landslide the margins in a lot of constituencies are thin, based on a vote to Get Brexit Done and post-election analysis showed that voters by and large don't like Boris at all, just hated Corbyn more. Could be a wild ride in 2024.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

V. Illych L. posted:

the tragic thing is that second ref could've been a reasonable compromise if the idiot remoaners hadn't gone all-in on it as the way they were going to stop brexit. had it come up later on as a way of resolving the deadlock it might've been genuinely popular lol

people's vote campaign is one of the worst failures i've seen in my life, they actively hosed up everything they claimed to fight for

Half of People's Vote purely wanted to gently caress up Corbyn and admitted they didn't actually want a second referendum

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

PawParole posted:

my prediction for 2024: labour will undergo pasokifacation by 2024, and George Galloway will be PM, and make cat girls real, and bomb the free Masons of brussels into the stone age

:hai:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
One other thing is that Berlin is relatively cheap to live in compared to other European capital cities

Athens is the biggest % of GDP on that list and 1/3 of Greece lives there, if I remember correctly half of Ireland lives on Dublin so would not be surprised to see it off the bottom of the chart.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

XMNN posted:

Ian Hislop is a smug twat and have I got news for you has many questions to answer re: responsibility for bojos rise to power, but his comment on Boris pretty much sums it up

he spent enough time at private school and Oxford that he has the classics references and plummy voice and general bumbling posh boy act down which British people are programmed from birth to conflate with intelligence and ability, but he is fundamentally a stupid man

cf Rees mogg

his sole ambition was to be prime minister and this was his chance to be Churchill, to shut down everything and make difficult decisions to save hundreds of thousands of lives and he just fumbled it

The one thing to remember about Boris is that he is indeed an idiot, but he's also a vengeful and relentless bastard and will stop at nothing to either get his way or punish those he thing has wronged him. There was a WDTATW episode on him where it was mentioned that his acquantances were terrified of speaking up about him because he had ruined people's lives in the past for speaking out against him.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Communist Thoughts posted:

In the UK papers for "smart people", the financial times thinks Japan is doing better than us at coronavirus because of "a culture of obedience" and the independent thinks that Africa is handling the pandemic better because maybe the virus can't infect black people cause theyr so different.

I don't know enough to know if we pioneered the strict racial hierarchy stuff but our entire empire ran on it for centuries and it's still a deep unconscious assumption in British society.

Africans are strong but dumb and make good slaves, native Americans make poor slaves so must be exterminated, the Indians are servile but weak and poor workers so they have to be dealt with firmly, the east asians are inscrutable but servile and clever and the second most civilised race, white people are the administrators and rulers.

This stuff was explicit and the foundation of the empire, which existed very recently. The bringing civilisation thing was a post-hoc justification for looting inferior races to put their resources in better hands.

The British Liberal government refused to accept wording in the foundation of the League of Nations that people had the right to self determination and on racial equality (really pissing off the Japanese) because that would give legitimacy to the Indian independence movement

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i have to assume journalism courses revolve around biting down on any questions you may have about the material

the final exam is an endurance test where you spend three hours trying not to form an opinion

it's more that being a journo is all about connections and being able to work for nothing while getting your feet on the ground

there has been no money in proper journalism for a while so the modern UK press are either high paid flunkies with government/high-level connections or overworked peons who only have time to copy-paste press releases verbatim

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Private Speech posted:

So Britain has finally taken the steps every other affected country did a while ago, with 33 deaths in a day, Boris having his big Chuchillo-Merkelian Wir Schaffen Das moment.

And media's eating it up, because of course.

eh it seems like Rishi Sunak is the one people are creaming themselves over because he's so ***reasonable***

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Isn't Sunday where the Royal family has their traditional Royal Orgy, sucking and loving each other off?

ALLEGEDLY

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Barry Foster posted:

If you don't think the only outcome of this is fascism and/or some sort of hideous corporate hellworld (more than even now, lol), with a battered left doing their best around the edges to ensure just a few fewer people starve or live lives barely worth living, then I have an expensive garden bridge to sell you

I get it's tough but I don't think this is a very helpful attitude tbh

I've been really pleased by the community response i've been seeing and all the rent strikes and such that are being organised

We're in unpredictable times so saying for certain that everything is going to be total poo poo is just as wrong as saying everything is fine

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

V. Illych L. posted:

young educated urbanites forced the party into a very pro-EU posture and would clearly not be satisfied with a compromise position, and so sealed the party's fate

really brexit was a disaster for labour from the beginning, it hit a very precise wedge into the interest coalition backing the party. they managed to fudge it in 2017, but couldn't in 2019

Labour lost 2 million votes to the Lib Dems, Greens and Plaid even after committing to 2nd ref

There's no guarantee that sticking with the original soft Brexit compromise gets you a better result when you take into account not winning Sheffield Hallam, Putney, Canterbury etc.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Dravs posted:

Honestly, at the end of the day, is it worse to have a liberal centrist who passes some of your policies and generally does things like keep the NHS funded, or have a great party leader but the government is run by racist pedophiles who want to kill the poor?

All the evidence is that moderate centre-leftism is electoral suicide right now

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I get the impression Starmer is a very methodical, policy type guy who doesn't jump into things hastily

This probably means he's not going to hammer the Tories on short notice though which makes me worry he will be seen as weak

Also speaking of the media the BBC are going to be even more cowed than before because Boris is basically holding a gun to their head so don't look to mercy from them

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

V. Illych L. posted:

i do not believe that a labour remain candidate can win a majority unless something spectacular happens, in which case anyone wearing a red rosette could win a majority

starmer's labour is effectively writing off most of the country outside of the cities, and are going to be competing with the lib dems for every swing vote they can get. but we'll see - at least the guardian set should be onboard now

Labour has been struggling in those areas for years before Brexit for a variety of reasons not least because they were sold down the river by Blair

There was absolutely no guarantee that saying Labour would do Brexit would stop large numbers of them flipping

It's also worth pointing out that the Labour membership was 90% remain voters and shutting that down would have killed any idea that Labour cared about internal democracy

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
God can you imagine if Trump gets it

He probably won't because he's a paranoid germaphobe but still

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Can you imagine the press conference between President Biden and Boris where they have to weekend at Bernie's them both

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
jesus a literal "i'm sorry if you're offended"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, there are other countries on earth than those two, and some of them even have left-wing parties. I can sleep soundly with the knowledge that 70% of the Danish electorate straight up want some flavor of national chauvinism mixed with hollow platitudes or straight up contempt for the poor, but I can vote for proper leftists who sometimes manage to extract actual concessions towards human rights and funding for doctors, teachers and the arts.

That's the thing that puzzles me the most about the UK. Why isn't there a left-wing party? Labour is clearly a lost cause, and I've never heard a good thing said about the Greens, but even if you allow for those two, that's only as many left-of-center parties as there are Nigel Farage parties.

First Past The Post

See: UKIP getting like 20% of the vote in 2015 and 1 seat

Also traditionally the British left have been more fascinated with the possibility of a complete victory due to the combination of FPTP and the Westminster system, in addition to the historical memory of the 1945 Attlee government

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

gently caress, I somehow managed to forget about FPTP, and how it was transparently used by the Lib Dems to sink Labour while the Farages and Tories yukked it up. Yeah, that'd do it.

Actually it's the Lib Dem failure thats really screwing Labour - the New Labour landslides were won off the back of the Lib Dems winning a bunch of seats off the Tories in the South West mostly. Now that the Lib Dems have seemingly permanently poo poo the bed a lot of these places are now just safe Tory seats.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

nikosoft posted:

What the gently caress, is this even in English? What's wrong with your idiot country?

You, see there is milk that comes from cows in the south

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
There was a trial recently where the sponsor straight up submitted the wrong data, regulators immediately sent it back and they can't resubmit for a year lol

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Getting some real Scarfolk vibes from some of the government ads recently

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
He's also been completely silent on the fact that the leader of the 3rd biggest UK trade union is a sex offender (ALLEGEDLY) and a bunch of senior Labour MPs knew about it and did nothing

completely coincidentally this is the most right wing major trade union in the country

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Continuity RCP posted:

I think this could finally be the SWPs moment, this time for sure

Do you like jazz

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Squizzle posted:

the power that newspapers have in britain is hilarious

People from other countries are amazed when they find out a major part of TV news is telling everyone what the papers say every day

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Forceholy posted:

Shout-out to Hbomberguy guy who raised a poo poo ton of money to spite him.

"You could have ended it right there Graham. You could have just told me how to beat Beaver Bother."

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
John Major literally stepped down to trigger a leadership ballot that he went on to win in an attempt to humiliate the anti-EU bloc

Where have we heard that strategy before

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Even the worst cops in the UK are not straight up executing black people in the street like the US

UK police also aren't straining at the leash like US cops are, who are so massively overfunded and protected from basically any repercussion or oversight

It helps that austerity defunded the police over here so they lack a lot of the resources or will to really gently caress with the population (watch me eat those loving words lol)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Reality Protester posted:

if Boris had it before, he'd be immune, so who the gently caress knows what's going on

It's not clear at all that having it before makes you immune

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Reminder that the single biggest expenditure in British history was the compensation paid to slaveowners when slavery was abolished

It was still being paid off up until 2015

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Don't underestimate Gove - he's an actual conservative intellectual and has long term plans. One if the reasons he wanted Education was so he could try and rewrite the curriculum to indoctrinate kids better. His main issue right now is that he's a known backstabber and not highly trusted.

Also yeah, he really, *really* hates muslims.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
If AS is such a big issue for Labour why does Rachel Reeves still have a front bench job and why hasn't the editor of the Independent been sacked for publishing that article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

oliwan posted:

so now that the options in the UK are batshit crazy conservatives or centrist neolibs, has anyone actually thought about creating a party on the left?

Welcome to FPTP hellworld