Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Even if Starmer Labour do come out with a coherent set of policies, he's already told us he'll lie to get elected. If the next Labour manifesto contains anything good at all, why should we believe it will be implemented?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

gonadic io posted:

Starmer has e.g. said that he believes trans women exist. Extremely woke.

Wes Streeting has said he doesn't (see the article), so he'll probably be leader for the next GE

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

that one desmond tutu quote about neutrality meaning you side with the oppressor but are too much of a coward to own that you're doing that, but framed as a motivational poster

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Futanari Damacy posted:

the New Coke approach. Interesting strategy, let's see how it plays out!

We should be so lucky. New Coke fell on its arse and disappeared without a trace, and Coke Classic sales boomed.

Oh, unless coke classic is Blair, then we're super hosed

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Nearly half... Remain

Feels like I've heard this one before

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lol check the timeline. Terf poo poo, anti abortion poo poo, Musk bro poo poo all in the first 10 tweets

Definitely the young people with the bad politics though

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

notaspy posted:

Doesn't Andy Burnham fill you with joy and optimism?

Can't be leader, he's not an MP

e:fb

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Doktor Avalanche posted:

Corbyn should just leave labour and make a new party, there's really no hope with these blairite idiots everywhere loving up everything

I've got good news for you about that first part at least

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Doktor Avalanche posted:

He's doing it, making a new party? Or are they gonna throw him out of labour?

The latter, he lost the whip and they're never gonna let him back in. I very much doubt he's going to try to start a new party. One of his major faults as a politician is that despite everything they've done to him he still believes the Labour Party is an effective vehicle for left wing politics.

e: I didn't realise that he's still apparently a rank and file party member. I imagine that they're saving the final boot for if/when he stands against them as an independent in the next general

Tarnop has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Jun 13, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I have an unread Paul Mason book somewhere. Charity shop or recycle?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

namesake posted:

Is it a politics one or the fiction one where not-Paul Mason goes to China, is a white savour for a bit and bangs a hot Asian woman?

It's the post capitalism one

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pipski posted:

Why do none of these twerps ever have proper running clobber? Not like he can't afford some decent, moisture-wicking gear instead of the contents of a lost property box.

In Boris's case it's all part of the persona that stupid people lap up

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I went to school with him, good to see he turned out alright

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jose posted:

Think I'm going to have to use private healthcare for an ADHD assessment because I got referred march last year and still have no idea when I'd get seen. My mate who made it through the nhs here and got diagnosed a month ago just got told the start of his titration could be up to 6 months lmao

I went to the pharmacy this afternoon to collect my repeat prescription for ADHD meds and was told that they can't source my medication. So even when you're assessed and titrated and prescribed, the bullshit never ends.

The dickhead behind the counter said "do you really need it?"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

There are a lot of things that normal people notice and your average journo does not

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Vim Fuego posted:

In America and Canada racism is a prerequisite for holding executive office. Is it that different in the UK?

Absolutely not, unless it's a smear directed at a left winger

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Cloks posted:

wasn't that to goose seo results around a scandal at the time? musk does the same thing.

It was painting boxes to look like buses so that when you Googled "boris bus" you would get articles about that interview instead of pictures of the bus with "350m a week for the NHS" as a benefit of brexit

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

the white hand posted:

sunak is 5'6"? that's hilarious I had that completely wrong

fake edit: ahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/caldbec1/status/1284948531623669760

The Divine Right of Short Kings

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

stephenthinkpad posted:

UK goons, can you guys explain to me why the conversative party want to choose such a mean looking person to lead the country? Every photo I see of Liz Truss reminds me of Nurse Ratched.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MikeCrotch posted:

But you see, we have to make the pie bigger, not argue about how the pie gets divided up, because I have a disease that makes me permanently think it's 1996

Also I will pretend that giving more of it to people who will actually eat it doesn't just make the pie get bigger all by itself

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

MikeCrotch posted:

Both massively favour the Tories, first one more than the latter

It's especially blatant too. The only free forms of ID that you can use to vote are available only to pensioners

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Cerebral Bore posted:

let's completely wreck the education system for the main language spoken in the rapidly rising superpower of our age

no way this could backfire in any way, right?

There will still be private options for learning Mandarin. Ticket closed, working as intended.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Nothing Will Fundamentally Change: UK Edition

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

WrasslorMonkey posted:

I mean it could just be like TiVo and they rewound it, right

Yeah rewinding live TV is a standard thing on Sky boxes

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

CoolCab posted:

they're loving stupid, there seems to be a crisis of them over-reporting or underreporting every few months and someone gets massively screwed. i couldn't see any argument from the consumer perspective like literally at all other than "it saves me from a minor task i need to do maybe 5 times a year", it for sure won't save you a penny - all i can figure is that the electric companies are incentivized to push them because it lets them know when someone is going into electrical debt so they can get cut off :/

If your energy company is estimating your usage and they estimate too much, when you send them a correct meter reading they have to credit the overestimate back to your account at the current rate. In an environment where unit prices are going up, this is a potential loss to them. Knowing when as well as how much is important data to them right now.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If Starmer can make it equally shameful to admit you're voting Red Tory to a stranger over the phone then maybe that 33% will break more evenly!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Communist Thoughts posted:

Gosh I hope I'm the next one whisked away to Castle Peg

She's going through the something awful user database like a terminator with a phone book

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Just found the following excerpt from Nadine Dorries' book:

quote:

Jeff thought his lottery arithmetics had come up when he saw Sharon's geometric bosom

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

notaspy posted:

What is the connection here?

He's a fellow of the Adam Smith Institute, the noncing think tank referred to in the reply

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Valko posted:

I have seen some people say that Boris might be hanging on during this crisis and deliberately doing nothing so he can later say, "See, look what is happening without me."

And millions of brainless barking idiots are going to believe him.

Starmer, Truss and Sunak would all be worse

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Everyone else is doomposting, I'm just being realistic

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I hope they don't burn to death

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Eldoop posted:

Long live His Majesty King Prince I

My his reign be purple

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Someone pull Damian Grammaticas's hair to check it's not Chris Morris in a wig

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

i say swears online posted:

i wish uk media wouldn't

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Let's stick with FPTP since it removes the threat of right wing government and replaces it with certainty

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jose posted:

Are these people just Charlie brown's or just cynically using this for career purposes

https://twitter.com/elliemaeohagan/status/1574864928791470082?t=bK1_XdiPf8Z1uTBzc2qq3w&s=19

She writes for the guardian, what do you think

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jose Mengelez posted:

on a scale of blair-to-brown how hosed would the NHS be under starmer? how much would even be left after two long cold years of shortbus thatcher?

Both he and Streeting share a donor who is up to his nuts in one of the big US healthcare corps. Streeting was interviewed for some lovely centrist magazine recently and it was all about the NHS needing to work with private companies to meet the demands of modern Britain.

We're hosed

e: https://twitter.com/Lowkey0nline/status/1573650694460030978

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Don't forget, Labour said they would vote against this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

it dont matter posted:

Well, he had a good run.

Which huge weirdo/psycho are we likely to get next?

Sajid Javid (favourite book: Atlas Shrugged)
Nadim Zahawi (currently attempting to avoid being investigated for tax evasion)
Jeremy Hunt (Jeremy oval office)