Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

We haven’t been first world since austerity was implemented in 2010.

Part of how Boris won the election was somehow convincing large parts of England that the reason the country is just so utterly poo poo was Labour meddling.

As an outsider to UK politics, what struck me the most about pre election polls was that Boris is more prime ministerial. I was like "wtf does it even mean". On one hand you have an honest man with an uncompromised 20 year record of plain utilising power of government for the good of the people. And the other is lying cheating coward who hides in the fridge. How the gently caress is that prime ministerial? The answer is simple, british people are so thoroughly conditioned that they plain see honesty and benevolence is anti prime ministerial it scares them, and screwing you by your betters as right and proper British approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Stoatbringer posted:

The bar for being a respectable leader has been considerably lowered in recent years.

If you can mumble through a speech without loudly sharting yourself or yelling racist slurs you've got a decent chance of getting elected.

I mean, even that level might be a tad optimistic...

What is respectable leader? How much respectability is from family or school?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

The symbol for respectable authority in the UK is a posh british lad that went to Eton and, well...

I read this in very chav accent for some reason. Pretend I am your mate Davy, the galaxybrain, "the glory or our nation, mate is not celebrating royalty mate but by bending them over."

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

BalloonFish posted:

It's one of those things where our horrific press just unilaterally declare someone 'prime ministerial' or not, and thus is becomes reality. And the criteria as to whether you're 'prime ministerial' or not has nothing to do with your record, your acheivements, your personality or your conduct but whether you maintain suitably right-wing (and friendly-to-billionaires-who-own-newspapers) policies.

So Jeremy Corbyn was never going to be 'prime ministerial' despite, as you say, a near-perfect record as a campaigner, politician and MP. So he was criticised for being 'scruffy' because he had a beard and because they took pictures of him when he was 'off duty' and had just been working on his allotment. He 'disrespected the memory of our war heroes' by wearing a slightly padded (and perfectly smart) jacket on Remembrance Sunday, despite being entirely appropriately dapper and well-presented. Meanwhile Johnson shows up with a Saville Row overcoat strained over his beer gut, looking generally pasty-faced and flabby-cheeked, with his hair askew and he lays his wreath upside down and...silence.

The press always take a side and work backwards from there. Corbyn talked intelligently and with nuance and thus was 'arrogant' or an 'intellectual'. Johnson shambles around an interview and flings out lies, errors and racial slurs and is 'a straight-talker'. Had their personal styles been reversed the soft-spoken, considered Johnson would be 'an intellectual titan able to present complicated issues in a straightforward way' while slurry, hesitant, bumbling Corbyn would be a dumb leftie who can't even tie his own shoes (although they tried that attack line too, in between casting him as an ivory-towered North London intellectual elitist).

Same with one of the press' most pressing concerns - a fash-like 'strong leader'. Corbyn was never going to satisfy them because his policies weren't suitable (for the press barons), so if he enforced the party whip, kept his MPs strictly on line with agreed policy and punished dissent he was a petty tyrant who was the reincarnation of Stalin, Mao and Hoxha simultaneously. If he allowed a multiplicity of viewpoints and divergence of opinion he was a weak, hopeless doddery old grandad. Meanwhile Boris sacks so many of his own MPs that he loses is parliamentary majority and he's Our New Churchill Taking The Tough Decisions And Ruling With a Rod of Iron.

So a huge part of electorate has spent the last three years that Jeremy Corbyn is Not Prime Ministerial, and Boris has years, even before he became Tory leader, of being presented as some powerful everyman political giant. And round the circle goes - "Corbyn would be a terrible PM because I read in The Sun that he's a scruffy, shambolic, arrogant, stupid man. It must be true, it was in the papers".

Are you for real or so destitute that baiting Brown moses to hire you as a copyrighter? Where do you stand with this essay

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Strange, in the US I heard all about the British role in the slave trade.

Funny that

For some perspective, I went to US high school for a year and you singlehandedly won WW2 and is the bestest country in the world all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

I finished my PhD just over a year ago and it destroyed my mental health.

I'm better than I was but there was a before-PhD me and an after-PhD me, and I think what went crack-ping probably isn't ever gonna be properly fixed

I am being deadly serious when I say that if you, person who is reading this post right now, are dumb or naive enough to think that it might be worth doing a doctorate

Don't.

Honest question, why is doctorate so stressful?