Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Private Speech posted:

One time my mum (who doesn't live in the UK) called me while I was waiting on a bus to get home from work and we spoke in my native Czech, as one, you know, would; and this old woman leaned out of a window above me and screamed she's calling the police so that the immigration comes and gets me. I hastily went away after that beacuse gently caress getting detained by them even for a bit.

I've also had a number of both more and less overt complaints from neighbours about the same thing, that is hearing me on the phone, be it through a wall or on the street, speaking another language with my mum.

The level of UK cuntiness about foreign languages is simply astounding. And these were very middle class areas in major cities, too.

I've also had a drunk guy shout at me "what loving right do you have to be here" once.

e: All the same I kinda like Britain. Must be a masochist I guess.

I've never actually said this to another poster before but that has to be one of the best post-user name combos I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1227934020085964800

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Communist Thoughts posted:

i'm struggling not to be jealous of sanders success after our own failure, but i should just be happy instead

*struggles to channel an unbritish emotion*

Don't worry about it. In the likely event of a Sanders presidency the tories won't be able to sell off NHS assets to Big Pharma.

That's at least a silver lining. Maybe.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Stop arguing about who is dumber when half the population of both countries are basically the people who support The Party from 1984.

I somehow find it ironic that a respiratory disease resuscitated this thread.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

When will they designate NI as a quarantine zone and force a hard land border?

They won't. I'd be surprised that anyone is even thinking about us during this pandemic - same as we were an inconvenience during brexit.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Uh... That's the Republic of Ireland not the UK. Due to a much smaller population the Republic is probably going to come out of this pandemic slightly less worse off than the the UK.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

oliwan posted:

I'm just a passive observer but if no one cares about your posts in the UK thread, in fact most absolutely hate you in the UK thread because your posts are really dumb, and you are not even from the UK... you should probably not post in the UK thread.

JFC. Pot meet kettle.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Okay, how bout a change of topic? I've just finished watching the news and Bojo's fiance has tested positive and she is also pregnant. The implications of this are worrying.

E: whoops, apparently she just has symptoms and has been bed ridden for a week and is on the mend. I should note that she is 32 years old.

Valko has issued a correction as of 18:38 on Apr 4, 2020

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Does anybody in here use twitter? Anyone? I'll never sign up for that but someone here must have it. I've been looking at a lot of tweets with the hastag #hope boris.

https://twitter.com/docrussjackson/status/1246930871606747137

Somebody needs to get on the ball and remind everyone about this:

Boris Johnson refuses to see picture of boy sleeping on hospital floor for lack of beds

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
So if Boris croaks then it looks like Dominic Raab is in line to become the PM.

We should all be very afraid.

I know that's a link to a Mirror article but they are not part of Murdochs empire.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Squizzle posted:

*to the tune of oh, jeremy corbyn* oh, coronavirus

Are you just going to keep that as your avatar now? It could confuse people.

Oh and by the way,

:ssh: Thanks for your supportive words when I had that breakdown on the fateful night of 12 december last year. There are other goons I need to thank as well and I will when I can afford to pm again.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Strange that Boris is now in intensive care after hearing just a few hours ago that he was in good spirits. Maybe this will be the wakeup call to all those gammons that the tories liars and not to be trusted.

Lol... :(

I know that will never happen. It's not just who you would think either, many people have fallen for the cult of Boris and Brexit.

https://twitter.com/bbcpanorama/status/1192162823297736705?lang=en

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

DemoneeHo posted:

So i'm a dumb idiot american with no idea how other countries make government happen. What happens if Bojo dies from covo? Is there a deputy PM who takes over? Do tories hold a snap election and put Rees-Mogg in charge?

It's Dominic Raab. Psychotic karate black belt who wants to privatise everything and lower the minimum wage for under 21's. You know, those heroes who are still going to work so the rest of the country can eat.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Bummer. Raab is less than 50 years old and because of his enthusiasm for martial arts he is likely fit and healthy too.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Don't worry about Boris. I'm sure the DWP will declare him fit for work very soon.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I read that article ripped from the Guardian and I've got a bad feeling about this. If boris dies they are going to whitewash him. He will be considered a martyr and it looks like even the 'left wing' gaurdian will be on board. All the bad things he has done will be forgotten about. I can see it now, people talking about him like he is the hero of brexit that never got his chance to see it through.

Don't believe me? Ian Duncan Smith got a knighthood for ffs and remember what the headlines were like when thatcher popped her clogs.

There is a long history of this in britain. I don't care if I offend anyone but I'll even say that Churchill was every bit as bad as Stalin or Hitler. Look at the things he did in africa, the middle east and india.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

For anyone who had the good sense not to click on that tweet, he choose a shoebill for his badass spirit animal. Seriously.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
This is a fairly long read but it is well worth it:

https://samkriss.com/2017/02/22/voyage-to-the-prison-planet/

TLDR; Sam Kriss does not like Paul Joseph Watson. He mentions in the article about how PJW chickened out when he would pay for journalists to take a trip to Malmo to prove that the place was overun with ISIS. I haven't even seen Seanbaby write things this brutal about people he doesn't like.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Lol.

https://twitter.com/weird_al_77/status/1264953761006526464

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Jacob Rees Mogg has been successful in his attempt to bring MPs back to parliament. Johnson is falling apart and revealing himself to be an idiot at every PMQ. The idea is that if they could get MPs to back him up and start braying like donkeys they might look better.

It has backfired, Alok Sharma appeared ill while giving a speech and is now being tested for Covid. Here he is, wiping sweat away and appearing flustered.

Social distancing is impossible in Westminster because it has so many chokepoints.

Phil here goes into more detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU-g099EKQ8

I haven't linked any of Phil's videos before and I have not seen anyone else do it. He uploads daily, sometimes more than once. He is concise, to the point and understands the system. His channel is A Different Bias. He is well worth a watch.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I am quite literally lost for loving words. I read this whole thread and it's basically 'The US and the UK are the two leading nations in the fight against Covid-19'. This is something you would expect from the mouth of Bojo or Trump when the handlers are distracted. I haven't even read the replies yet.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1286288768002072577

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Been a while since I looked ITT. Anyway, here. Not like anyone didn't see this coming.

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1316413190704594952

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

I know it’s not a 1-1 analogue, but isn’t that like if a bunch of rude, racist Texans voted for Texas to secede, won the vote, and then moved to Mexico? I just don’t understand, why vote leave and then move? what is the cultural touchstone im missing?

British exceptionalism. They think the glory days of the empire are still with them. They think Britain is capable of standing on it's own and is being held back by EU red tape. Almost 20 years ago I had a conversation with some young guy in a bar. He was about 19, tops.

He was spouting gibberish about everything Britain had lost over the years and started listing off all the countries England pillaged, even Ireland.

Did I mention that he was telling me this while we were in a bar in Northern Ireland of all places, a sports bar decorated with the local Gaelic Athletic Club's colours and trophies all over the place? He was lucky he was ranting and raving at me and not someone who was a victim of Loyalist terrorists or British security forces.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

V. Illych L. posted:

lol turning this unambiguously bad thing into a culture war issue is so cynical and also incredibly brilliant

I've mulled it over and I'm still scared to ask but...

What is the "unambiguously bad thing"?

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Right, I get it. Been out of the loop for a while and not looking into my own countries politics for a while for the sake of my sanity.

Related.

https://twitter.com/pritipatel/status/1369219879702781953

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

V. Illych L. posted:

a police murdered a (pretty, white, non-paup) woman and a bunch of other women organised a vigil, which the police promptly assaulted and broke up by force with no apparent provocation

it was bad enough that the tabloids couldn't find a way to spin it at short notice and so just tried ignoring it

Okay, yeah I know all about it. Just been quite some time since I visited this thread and didn't realise there were two discussions going on. I somehow thought you were talking about a culture war between brexiteers and remainers.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Barry Foster posted:

said murder and assaults have been rolled into the culture war because the police decided to make a big show of protecting the churchill statue from roving gangs of women, so now protesting women being murdered or assaulted is anti-statue

Dravs posted:

The culture war happening between people who are pro police murder and mutilation and against it is pretty much the same people as for and against Brexit anyway. Also the same people as for and against public execution etc.

It's lead poisoned sponge brains all the way down.

Jesus, I GET IT!!! I said I was avoiding this thread, not hiding from the news.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Barry Foster posted:

I was honestly just trying to provide clarification, chill out, drat

Alright, sorry. Just sleep deprived over here.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Ladies and Gentlemen, Cristoph Waltz.

quote:

You lived there for a long time. How do you feel about the city now and the UK in these post-Brexit times?

I have a good relationship with London. My son still lives there. I moved there in the late 1980s. I lived in the city when Margaret Thatcher insisted on forging her special relationship with Europe – or rather the relationship was less important than having her will and ideas imposed. She was instrumental in shaping that union, imposing her idiosyncrasies, the special treatment, as opposed to the regular riff-raff in Europe. She got it her way, in the British interest. But apparently that’s not good enough any more. So… I don’t envy you.

No. As a fully paid-up Remainer, I can only apologise.

Shooting yourself in the knee with a gun full of buckshot makes more sense. [A pause.] They’re talking about fishing. There was a war between English and French fishermen in the 13th century. Let’s get the Navy involved again! If I was a French fisherman I’d sail into British waters just to see a battleship confront myself. The English can go back to the 12th century if they want to. Let Jacob Rees-Mogg tell them what to do.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/christoph-waltz-interview-2021?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I'm almost tempted to build a statue of churchill, and then smash the thing with a sledge. I'd upload the videos to youtube with no commentary. Just to prove a loving point.

Would I get ten years in prison for it? After the bill passed yesterday, yes. For "annoyance".

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

bedpan posted:

I've no doubt these men all have very strong opinions on the importance of Britain's nuclear deterrent

Jesus. Even the ones who can tan look like pork.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
https://twitter.com/RTusovee/status/1372590460842213377

https://twitter.com/MWatts3376/status/1372596096598482945

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Just a screenshot, I'm trying to find the actual tweet so i can have a laugh at the replies.

https://twitter.com/jjsalmo/status/1370450925928730624

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

These stories are never going to get old.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

The retirees who are probably unfit for work are coming back and all the young fit and healthy immigrants who pay taxes are going back.

Another side effect; I'm in N.I and for weeks now I've been trying to buy groceries online and nothing very fancy, things like dried beans and pickled gherkins. There are none of those available. Wonder why.

https://twitter.com/rdanielkelemen/status/1375854940229406725

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

shirts and skins posted:

I'm not familiar with the politics of Scottish football - are Rangers usually associated with racismBritish chauvinism?

Imagine all the sectarianism of Ulster back in the bad old days crammed into an area the size of a city, just remove the guns and bombs. I know people who have travelled to Glasgow to go to matches and they are almost always surprised by how tense things are.

I'm always surprised at how savage Glaswegians are when they come over here too. A lorry driver I know was away for the week and he let a group of them stay in his flat. They trashed the place. He found a raw vegetable roll lying in the corner with a bite taken out of it. Vegetable rolls are made with raw minced pork.

He didn't know what the little balls were in his bathtub, it turns out they were using Daz washing machine tablets as soap.

My friend went over there to study when he was in his early twenties. He was avoiding stepping on heroin needles everytime he went outside. He was told not to leave his flat unless he was armed. He got around this by carrying a little skateboard under his arm.

The Glasgow Effect.

quote:

Although lower income levels are generally associated with poor health and shorter lifespan, epidemiologists have argued that poverty alone does not appear to account for the disparity found in Glasgow.

Oh really? I'm sorry if any Glaswegians are reading this, I've met some who seemed to be quite civil.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

forkboy84 posted:

Then everyone assumes you moved to the city to study at Glasgow Uni...Which is why you tell them you follow Ross County, it just confuses them.

Glasgow is genuinely one of the nicest, friendliest places I've been, I absolutely love it, warts & all. I lived for years in Ibrox, in an area that is in the top 10% of most deprived places in Scotland. Never had any problems. And it's not like I didn't go out. Plenty times I would walk home from the city centre after a night out through these apparently scary places.

It's not perfect, poo poo, while I was there there was a minor health crisis because some oval office had spiked a load of heroin with anthrax & so lots of people were dying quite unpleasantly. There's gross income inequality & large chunks do feel left behind, but the same is true of parts of Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness, Dundee, Perth, Stirling, or any town of a reasonable size. Huge swathes of Scotland are still left behind are the death/destruction of heavy industry, be it mining, shipbuilding, metalworking, it's all hosed. Little wonder folk seek solace in the stables of deep fried food & heroin. Still love it.

Yeah, like I said - some of them I've met seemed like really decent people, just rough around the edges (Mark Renton). I guess I just met and served drinks to the crazy celtic supporters, both Scotch and Irish (The Begbies').

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Grape posted:

People in old world ethnic conflict areas like that all look exactly the same, and are all extremely insistent that the the other group looks way different.
It's quite the thing.

It's a very difficult thing to explain but yes, it is possible to tell a protestant from a catholic in northern ireland. It's getting a lot harder these days now that both communities are mixing.

Think about it like this, if you put a white french, german and english person in the same room you could almost make an educated guess about who is who just from subtle little differences even though they technically all are western europeans.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Phil Moorehouse barely containing laughter at brits in spain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQuSKQd4RxM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Meanwhile in Northern Ireland...

These are loyalist rioters upset that the NIP is going to put a border down the Irish Sea. If the border to the republic was going to be closed you would have seen the same thing from republicans. Anybody could have seen this coming a mile away. It's just like the riots in Derry a few years ago. This isn't going to stop until someone ends up dead.

RIP Lyra McKee.