Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

gh0stpinballa posted:

i think the mistake people are making is assuming that britain is "a country" or a "nation state" anymore. it isn't. it is a bunch of land that surrounds london, and london itself is not a city, it is a gigantic washing machine for billions of dollars of blood money that flows into it from gulf states and various oligarchs and organized crime groups all around the world. it is a ghost land where ghost acts stand in for real change. brexit, like the gulf war, did not really happen. this is why i am struggling to engage with the labour leadership race - until they recognize these facts about "the united kingdom", there is no hope.

Lol okay boomer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

twoday posted:

Imagine being some EU bureaucrat having to negotiate any kind of deal with Britain in the coming year

I would just quit my job and start a new career, I think

I'd go to work with a smile on my face every day, if it weren't for the grueling hours.

Telling dumb British snobs to stick it where the sun don't shine as a job is great.

Dance Officer has issued a correction as of 13:48 on Feb 2, 2020

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Theoretically, sure, Americans might be more supportive than the average person if asked about it, but American voters will never vote or donate a dollar based on Scotland trying to secede from the UK. We barely care about our own wars, the Scotland-UK stuff is too distant and small to make a blip. We didn't give a poo poo about Brexit and Scotland seceding from the UK is smaller than that.

What percentage of Americans do you think can find Scotland on a map? What percentage do you think are aware that Scotland and England are part of the same country?

Did you miss the *checks notes* $1.5b the US gave Ukraine in aid, in order to fight the Russians? Very few in the general US public cared about that.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Civilized Fishbot posted:

This is all 100% true but seems irrelevant to the point I was making that American voters don't care about Scottish independence

The point I'm making is that the US will send aid regardless of voters actually caring.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

A US-EU proxy war in the British civil war would be a hell of a thing.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

An insane mind posted:

I meant Geert Wilders (Ridiculous peroxide look) and Thierry Baudet (Pretend intellectual, making the right wing hip again)

And I think you guys knew that >:(

We're Dutch, nobody cares about our politics.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

Point out that harsher immigration restrictions aren't actually about kicking out foreigners, but undermining workers' rights. Companies still want them, and the government will still let them in on 'temporary' visas that they're tacitly encouraged to overstay, but if their presence here is illegal, they have no legal redress to abuse and exploitation by employers (because the police will just deport them). End result, you get a slave underclass who have zero political representation and are dehumanised by the media, and are used to undercut wages and destroy collective bargaining. You know, exactly like how things are in the US.

Immigration controls undermine collective bargaining by creating a labour black market, and undermine democracy by creating a non-citizen underclass.

This was the line the PvdA took in the Netherlands, and it didn't give them a landslide. Yes, I know they have a history of working together with a right-wing party on a right-wing agenda.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

drat, leave it to the tories to use a global pandemic as an excuse to slash teacher's worker's protections, and poo poo up schools even more.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Watch stock markets continue to crash as Boris' cabinet of failures and creeps makes things worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Kinda shocked that the UK isn't worse than that.