Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
One day the Prime Minister will attend Prime Minister Questions, might be good to ask why he has the spirit of the rules of Cricket in higher regard than international law or the ministerial code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

25% of people look at the last 13 years of the Tories and think “want more of this poo poo please”

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Labour won’t make promises they won’t keep? From now on Wes or you want me to list them out?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

That name is something I have heard as a front runner.

Also, not sure exactly why The Sun is getting all high and mighty about this considering the history of putting 16 year old tits on page 3.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

The Sun? Chatting poo poo? Say it isn’t so!

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

BBC asks on social media: “is social media a hinderance?”

Maybe they should ask Reach who get 90% of content from Social Media what they think.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

talking about liking the ol’ flute there on July 11th, bet he’s a big fan of the sash.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

has he tried 1-2-3-4

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Honestly of that list state reform. More reliable second chamber that can’t be stuffed with Tory members every resignation, proportional representation. I am a bit undecided where to go with House of Lords / Second Chamber reform.

On the one side I do like it where they put actual people who done poo poo other than mates / people they likely slept with as a technocratic chamber, but I also like the idea of a larger regional chamber exclusively based on proportional representation.

Maybe both, why not.

The other stuff I am pretty solid in my views for it.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I don’t live in London and I go to work by popping over to the home office not car.

Maybe someone should tell him about the poo poo bus service in places other than London as well.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

what happened to my chaos with Ed Miliband.

oh and Ben Wallace is leaving at the next General Election and pretty much said we are screwed on Defense.

Starbucks has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Jul 15, 2023

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

The thing we need is electoral reform.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

It is just pandering to the Tory voters knowing anyone left of them will vote Labour or strategically because our electoral system is poo poo.

Tories and Labour have about 4 parties between them, most of those are existing parties.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Reform / Tories now in a lot of cases, one’s leaning Tory are the ones that Labour are courting.

I would vote green but likely not much point and will just work to continuing to have a Tory MP

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Bring back the window tax I say

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Today will decide if the latest changes are worthwhile in any way, if Labour perform less than expected it might change strategy.

I would comment on Lib Dem strategy but at the moment the only real comment is there isn’t one.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Mark that photo of two jags NWS, hubba bubba. Any exit polling? Nowt on the BBC website.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

namesake posted:

They don't attend the conferences, they host the fringe meetings and dinners where the real policies are decided.

The Lib Dem’s have policies?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Woke up for a piss, Lib Dem’s won Somerton as expected but Tories keep Johnson’s old seat. Some say the latter is because of ULEZ and more a middle finger to the London Mayor over current Labour national policies. Not staying up for Selby

OK - Labour won that one with a 21% swing, fairly sure ULEZ will be the line for Uxbridge then.

Starbucks has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Jul 21, 2023

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

is that before or after the Georgia invasion?

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

Would've been after. Georgia thing happened during the Bush Administration. Whole push for their admission to NATO was one of Cheney's weird projects.

I think at that time things were starting to heat up especially around this and him doing the President to Prime Minister thing at the time. At the time it seems we were looking at isolation over the whole sanctions thing which didn’t take part after Georgia but did for Ukraine in 2014.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

ULEZ is a stick that being a fee or fixed charge hits poorer people the most. Reducing the pollution in city centres is important, look at the leaded petrol change for example. We need a way to make this something where we do reduce vehicles with more pollution but not in a way where it can put poorer people into more hardship.

Some form of scrap scheme system where if you scrap a car and then have the deed of a car which meets regulations (to not make it new vehicles like the scrap page scheme) might help assuming can get around that automatically being a mark up on cars.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Ben and Jerries taste a lot sweeter when you know it annoys people who hate. I only buy it on offer though sorry Ben and Jerry.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

It really is starting to turn into Pig with blue rosette vs Pig with red rosette isn’t it

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I can understand that from a “I expect better from you” kind of vibe. I am waiting until an actual manifesto comes out to pass final judgement.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

You don't vote for pm here. You vote for your local representative and the king chooses who gets to be in charge lmao

I have a Tory MP who compared to the last Tory MP I had is not a completely useless sack of poo poo, they are just a sack of poo poo. I don’t even think we have a Labour PPC yet

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

the sex ghost posted:

It's me I'm the 'progressive' 'activist' who likes the labour party, please tell me about your activist activities fellow activist and speak directly into my suspiciously large activism hat

I mostly shitpost my activism

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

quote:

“The flaws in the current voting system are contributing to the distrust and alienation we see in politics, but there is no consensus for a new system. Any proposed change to our voting system must be carefully thought-through – it cannot be dictated by political leaders or forced upon the country from the top down. However, there are some urgent steps that can be taken to restore faith in our democracy.”

From the linked article in the tweet around rent control. Sounds woolly and likely to be forgotten.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

tristeham posted:

oh i forgot about the squirrel killer

That anti-squirrel message would work well with dogs

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

MikeCrotch posted:

Iirc Keith is against both abolishing fptp and repealing voter id
It sounds like that is what it is saying “well this would be nice and all unless we win then lol not happening” - see also 1997

http://www.labour-party.org.uk/manifestos/1997/1997-labour-manifesto.shtml

quote:

We are committed to a referendum on the voting system for the House of Commons. An independent commission on voting systems will be appointed early to recommend a proportional alternative to the first-past-the-post system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenkins_Commission_(UK)

Starbucks has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Jul 30, 2023

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Westminster going to steal all the oil out the North Sea and store it in England. Watch this space.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

90s Cringe Rock posted:

store it?

surely they'll just sell it to overseas mates below market rate
That is pretty shortsighted. You are likely right.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Shogi posted:

Boris Johnson got a popularity boost out of flattening a Japanese child while playing what was meant to be touch rugby, so to be fair the British are built different

Can’t forget John “Left Jab” Prescott, fair play for him doing that

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rrier-from-seat

I hope the SNP win this in a landslide as an up yours to Labour

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

As dead cats goes “investing in chess” is not a good move.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

To be fair given the recent news around increased oil production you can’t say that their methods have been successful. Other than the usual method of creating a think tank and giving MPs large consultant fees which is how things seem to work there is not much really they can do.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Chess is going to be the land of pawns and honey

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Unemployed people shouldn't have access to phones or laptops, says people who haven't applied for a job in the past decade.

I am more worried about the 24% of people who believe that basic utilities should be out of reach. Maybe they want the return to serfdom.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Looking it up again, the stats appear to be all over the place, and most everyone appears to be using mean values rather than average. And being pretty careless about using the term average when they actually mean median. It's entirely possible for the median to be £40k and the average to be £60k, if you have a bunch of bankers pulling the average up with insane incomes. Like, the stats I found had a median of £33k, and an average of £63k, because the top 10% made more than twice as much as the next 10%, who themselves made 3x the median.

I would also take into account a majority of the people who will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes get paid with capital gains / shares / dividends rather than through PAYE/ Income tax so the mean / median will also be skewed depending on what data is being used.

But two important things: 1. I am pretty terrible at objectively creating a data set or finding one which has the correct source of information 2. I am pretty comfortable with my current situation of not wanting to put in the effort.

I am very much in the UBI / Nationalisation of natural monopolies / Late Stage Capitalism is terrible camp so either way at a minimum people should be able to have basic needs, time for leisure, ability to have time to create or pursue something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

If someone does want drugs, they will just sell the food stamps. Keep it simple. That and legalise and tax all drugs.