Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the people’s vote campaign is such an unmitigated poo poo show it’s the perfect encapsulation for a huge amount of what’s wrong with this country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s going to be a two tier system, pay to jump the queue or wait like the peon you are

obvs there will be exceptions for >65 yr olds

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Top City Homo posted:

just wanted to post UP THE RA! and death to bog island

cheers

you’re going to have to be more specific with which bog island

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I have literally stopped listening to radio 4 since the election and accidentally listened to it this morning , and there was a piece about the recent democratic debate. I was quite astonished, it just had nonstop quotes of all the Bernie attacks and they concluded he’s struggling , yet it seems that the majority of the audience feedback was pretty positive for Bernie? I can’t imagine the bbc would propagandise foreign reporting for its domestic audience?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I figured people do the teacher training then go abroad to some “English” school and make mad bank while learning to make moonshine in a bath tub

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s just really frustrating explaining to people that boris Johnson’s opinions are actually really commonplace , hes not an aberration, he’s the avatar of gammon Britain

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if America launched urgent measures to contain covid I bet the U.K. would have followed suit

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

well grandma might die but gently caress it I’ve got my pothole funding so it’s even

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

*still votes tory*

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jose posted:

She's lied constantly throughout the election and pretended she is a unity candidate despite being Owen Smith's campaign manager in 2016

this is prime ministerial material tho

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

speccy dumb daily is pretty funny, still voted her first mind

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

Is the mace OK?

the mace is going to harbour it in its little nooks and crannies and will reinfect the Parliament of 2044

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm finding the destruction of statues very educational. I never before thought about who was on that huge plinth in St Andrews Square in Edinburgh and it turns out it's a tory called Henry Dundas who is best known for delaying slavery abolition by ~15 years and being impeached for embezzling public money. :killdozer:

ps
https://twitter.com/BigScottGibson/status/1270482469041602560

always knew he was a wrong ‘un

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol that scotland is let free after all the fish and oil have been sucked dry out of the north sea, and that tourism is in the shitter so they can’t even host hordes of london comics at the fringe

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i suppose as long as the deal, whatever it is, can be blamed on someone else (even boris once he’s chucked to the kerb), the tories will go for it otherwise they lose the only thing keeping their coalition together

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Dravs posted:

Wow, my Dad told me the other day about how he had read the BBC was rubbish because it was full of leftys, I almost threw a book at his head.

apparently the old think the bbc is full of leftists, the young think the bbc is full of bad faith right wingers whereas in reality the bbc is actually full of liberals

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the old adage of never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake

although tbf most brits don’t even know which extra bits scattered around the world outside of the mainland are “theirs “

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Where are they gonna get garlic powder from? Or paint?

No international trade = no border queues. Boris is a genius.

having to use passports to get into kent would also have been sufficient

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’m sure there is an argument that now it will be financially viable to now build widget factories in the u.k.

it’s complete pie in the sky fantasy because capitalism doesn’t work that way, but it’s what brexiteers believe

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

we’re blaming south africa now for the new varient , problem solved

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Zopotantor posted:

and after returning Gibraltar and the Elgin Marbles

well we’ve done one of those already

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i imagine the herd immunity crowd would be perfectly happy with everyone having syphilis 24/7

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

politicians who tend to go on about family values also tend to be those same politicians with several love children and a dead prostitute in their hotel room

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the west wing and assorted american politics have infected u.k. liberals to such an extent that they want to create a democrat party

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Brexit leaves Spain's Costa Brits facing dilemmas

bbc posted:

Meanwhile, Eric Anderson is stuck in the UK. The 71-year-old former shipyard worker from Newcastle is one of thousands of so called "swallows" - people with second homes in Spain who spend winter in the sun and return to Britain in the summer.

Spanish Covid rules preventing non-essential travel mean that Eric can't fly out at the moment. When he can, his time will be limited under the new post-Brexit system.
"I feel badly let down. We paid a mortgage for 20 years to have a holiday home and a retirement bolt-hole for the winter. We're limited to just 90 days now, and that's not just for Spain, but anywhere we go in Europe on holiday. Say we cross from Newcastle to the Netherlands, that's counted.

"So you're already being restricted by time to come back into the UK. There's a lot of average working guys that have done exactly what I've done and it's just not going to be possible now. I don't think anyone expected the rug to be pulled from under them so quickly."

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

gonadic io posted:

Incredibly cowardly from this article not to ask and then publish the brexit vote of each person featured.

agree , but we absolutely know who voted which way regardless

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i once went to an american rodeo festival type thing and people were walking around eating blocks of cheese like apples

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it was like mild cheddar too

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

you could order a leafy salad and a ton of shredded cheese magically appears on it even if it isn’t there on the menu

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

https://twitter.com/scotfoodjames/status/1351491482063171588

Good new, we now have lots of space to store all our sovereignty :)

brexit actually killing fishing in the u.k. was certainly something i didn’t entirely expect

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

isn’t spiv a word which people made antisemitic out of whole cloth to smear Mcdonnell or Corbyn at some point

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

we’d all be speaking GERMAN if we didn’t win the war

yet somehow even though we won they don’t seem to be speaking english over there, so i might be a bit off with my pub logic

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

there’s no magic english word that can only be spoken like a native i think , maybe innit ?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

:britain:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

they tried to take away bbc good food a few years ago and had to stop because people would seriously have hurt them

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

one test tube burger please

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

dinosaurs are back baby

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

It sounds like complete nonsense to me I hate it

i think it had origins in some UN based project, but that it sounds like some absolute engrish is a pretty compelling argument that our leaders don’t know what they’re doing or even read the things they’re supposed to sign off

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

not faltering when it’s changed to failing i suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

tories in wellies overtaking tories in yellow?!