Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

crispix posted:

There is no loving way the EU would let us back in. brexit to the EU must be like finally getting a rowdy drunk turfed out of your nightclub by the bouncers after he'd spent his whole time in there harassing and insulting everyone and complaining loudly about how poo poo the place is and fighting with the bar staff about prices. you're not going to let that guy back in

All the while being the bar's second biggest paying customer. You'd probably want them to come back, just tone down the bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Private Speech posted:

Does that take into account the 66% rebate?

Yes, https://www.statista.com/chart/18794/net-contributors-to-eu-budget

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Venomous posted:

I mean, Kieth is an Orange Booker in all but name

In 2010 during a brief flirtation with Twitter the MP candidates for my constituency started arguing in reply to my tweet about what a lib-con coalition actually meant, and the lib guy went to pains to tell me their colour was orange and not yellow. I thought at the time that they were trying to differentiate themselves from the SNP but now I realise it was about orange booking.

I also realised that Twitter wasn't for me as I don't want politicians randomly popping up to correct me over the smallest poo poo.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

big deal, wales has been occupied since 1284

Blame the French

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Tarnop posted:

It's especially blatant too. The only free forms of ID that you can use to vote are available only to pensioners

He needs bulletproof vests not voter ID

EDIT: They passed the legislation to enforce voter ID without passing the legislation to make voter ID available to those without any, there will be no system in place before the next general election because this government is incapable of doing anything properly.

Betjeman has issued a correction as of 17:28 on Jul 25, 2022

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Iirc estimates are that 1 million fewer people will vote due to voter ID laws

And they're not evenly spread out. I still think that the government will not be able to get a workable system into place before the next general election, this is a rock that's going to get kicked down the road. Either that or a clusterfuck whereby entire polling stations get thrown out and polling day riots.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Pretty sure what made Britain great was relentless subjugation of the serfs and the colonies.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

When Ovo installed a smart meter I wasn't charged for gas for over a year. I didn't get hit with a huge bill because the direct debit covered it but it really pushed home how "smart" these things really are

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Remember when the tories went on about compassionate conservatism like it could possibly exist

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Thank you, that was great.

That thing about open access is incredible, I can’t believe I’d never heard of that! That’s so cool, I wish we’d do that here, we don’t have useful feudal rights. There’s Crown Land but it’s endless kilometres of wilderness, not the British countryside.

Here in Sussex there's a lot of footpaths with real WW2 PoW camp vibes, my favourite was walking near Stourbridge where the farmer had set up an electric fence so close to a hedge that you had to shimmy past it lest you be electrocuted for being poor.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

I love how stupid these people think we are

If they're talking about retail "suppliers" they're not far wrong, as the margins there are quite small due to the way they forced competition into the industry, of course a lot of retailers are arms-length divisions of wholesalers who can happily bleat about outrageous wholesale prices they can do nothing about.

Retailers are little more than meter readers with a large escrow account (hence why so many of them fell straight over the moment the wholesale price went above cap)

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

Most efficient system in the world baby

There used to be at least a couple of retailers who ran out of mansions in the Bahamas. I haven't worked in the sector for a few years but when you had "A+++ Energy UK" chances are it was a guy in bermuda shorts pumping up his retirement fund.

It's a completely fraudulent system designed by the ultimate winners, the wholesalers and PWC etc (who act as regulators)

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Another great reason to become a retailer was that only the big ones (i.e. the ones connected in some way to the wholesalers) had to take on bad debt, so if someone didn't pay their bills, they got removed from the small retailer and put on the books of Centrica etc, which is why the smaller retailers could offer such good discounts.

Also, a wholesaler's retailer was not allowed to offer competitive retail in areas where they controlled the supply, as that's far too much like a monopoly.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Crisis posted:

Yeah, as far as I can tell, “energy suppliers” are basically finance companies. They manage your credit agreement and match it to energy derivative contracts on the financial markets. They run a customer support call centre and a social media account. That’s it.

Anything involving actual energy infrastructure, like installing an energy meter, gets outsourced to a different company. Unless it’s one of the biggest suppliers like British Gas, in which case it’s still a mostly independent wing of the same company.

Water's even worse, as there is strictly a monopoly water supplier for a given area, all water retail does is cream off the top and stick in a level of obfuscation between the consumer and the provider. There is literally nothing for them to do other than bill people. They all buy the same water and the only difference in price is how close they can cut their margin.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Jim Mullen used to be my line manager 20 odd years ago, he was good at fighting our corner but did blame a lack of pay rise on 9/11 so the signs were there

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Breakfast All Day posted:

an eton mess is just whip cream and fruit (the meringue wasnt even in the original version), like you would get anywhere in the western world since the 16th century, but like everything else the english are convinced it's a particular thing they invented bc their incest lords all had it at the same lunchroom as children. they probably call farts "eton trumpets"

Stupid Victorian English can't even go on the internet and check their dessert patents for prior art

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

gonadic io posted:

For reference the moving lorry alone cost me £2-3k, then a few hundred for the ferry and of course finding somewhere to rent with pets was extremely difficult.

This doesn't include buying/selling costs if applicable and also I was lucky enough that my job supported my country move and switch to full remote so I didn't have to worry about finding a job quickly when here.

My wife is an Irish-born GP who is so massively disillusioned with the NHS it's a struggle to motivate her to leave the house in the morning, and my company has an Irish office so I could in theory port my job there

The only thing stopping me is my indoor cats and the logistical difficulties of moving them. I'd probably have to rehome them here, I don't know anyone well enough to get them to take them on until we're settled in another country

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

hey can your wife do me a prescription for 5% off my power bills

The GP has gone from being a medical centre to managing the workload of social services, the police, and now apparently the benefits office.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Working in the (English and Welsh) NHS as a junior doctor is hellish unless you give up half way through training and live life as a lowly but well compensated locum registrar, or make it to consultant when you get to force your own hours and call the shots, as well as sit on the boards of private medical companies and help dismantle everything.

In short, training posts are miserable, focused on service provision rather than training, and getting longer and lower paid because people keep leaving. It's going to get worse because the fewer people who make it to consultant, the fewer training posts there can be, so people remain in training or locum for longer and get pissed off and quit and become a middle manager in pharmaceutical research or emigrate or something. The government's response isn't to improve this, rather to relax the requirements for doctors to be present during diagnosis and recovery and instead retrain bioscience students to become "physician's associates". They are also trying to relax prescribing laws and allow people without full medical license manage long term care as well. A bit like getting someone with a provisional moped license to cover the HGV driver shortage.

Meanwhile universities are crying poor and giving as many medical degree places to international students as possible.

Betjeman has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Aug 22, 2022

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

That's a jumper. Sweaters are the acrylic things they sell in the Gap.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

She never said 'put a sweater on' though.

That's because it's American
Where I grew up a sweater only ever referred to the thick long sleeve t-shirt type thing with brand logos plastered on it (a sweatshirt, if you will).
The jumper bit of school or sports uniform was a jersey.
Everything else was a jumper or pullover.
No waving of dictionaries is going to change me

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

"it is up to the market to determine whether it makes sense to invest in new gas storage and if there are any supply shortages, prices will rise sufficiently to attract more gas from elsewhere."

Well done, market

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

keep punching joe posted:

Is the queen stuff over now, can I put the news back on?

Yeah Madeleine McCann is back to headline status

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Queen's timing was perfect, I went on holiday for 2 weeks to a country that doesn't give a poo poo about the UK and came back on Sunday, so I missed 95% of the forelock tugging and got an extra day to sleep off the jetlag

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

This is Ireland I think, in other videos she refers to Euros

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

gonadic io posted:

Don't you know how long they take to train, any such reforms now will not do anything for years and years, therefore we will never do anything.

They're also really expensive to train, so universities are very motivated to seek foreign students to subsidise the training of UK students.
But because there are fewer graduates advancing to consultant level within the NHS, the number of available training placements is declining.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Sunak should get in, shout "I'm gonna reinvigorate industry!", Scrap Rees-moggs insane scrubbing of all EU laws and go for a single market aligned set to restart exports of whatever the gently caress we have left*. Then when all the brexit nutters lose their minds about it, say "you can either call an election or gently caress off".

*Which is sewage I guess.

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1556590394170818560

Lest we forget, he has no economic credibility in that direction either as he presents himself as a Brexit ideologue.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

My wife once had a gig at Ampleforth and they told the musicians they had make sure their shoulders were covered because of the monks. The sight of bare shoulders would instantly convert them to satanism

80% of the world is like this

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/21/thousands-in-south-east-england-face-christmas-without-running-water

quote:

Craig Mackinlay, the Conservative MP for South Thanet, urged constituents not to take their anger out on his staff in Broadstairs.

He tweeted: “As #Thanet water returns, I’m disgusted that a resident took anger out on @SouthernWater by banging on my constituency office door yesterday & shouting at team member, leaving her fearful of leaving office. I don’t control the 💦 company. Direct your anger at them, not my staff.”

I'm sure his constituents are disgusted with the party that allowed this deflection to happen, maybe even enough to not bother voting for him next election!

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Is 50 boomer now? As it's very much in the strong birth rate decline of the 70s. Pretty much all boomers with means are now retired

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

charlies

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

gonadic io posted:

The government and media have decided on which smokescreen they're using to avoid discussion of the various bills this week
https://twitter.com/POLITlCSUK/status/1615476051630596099

Not surprised this government is anti- workplace cake, it can cause all sorts of bother

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

despite what shitlibs may believe its not like the court is some kind of neutral institution enforcing heaven-sent justice, so questioning whether the law is right or not is absolutely something you should be allowed to do in court

I once argued that the law is an rear end in court. I did shut up when the judge told me I'd be in contempt if I continued though. They're there to apply the law, not to change it.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

OK Cnut

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Private Speech posted:

And by quite common he means a large majority of properties, including houses.

If 20% is a large majority, sure.

There was a spate of leasehold estates in the last two decades but this was still unusual for houses built for private ownership and caused a bit of a campaign to shame house builders into stopping it.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Private Speech posted:

It's also sometimes used as the british equivalent of American HOAs, except with a landowner involved either instead of or alongside representatives.

e: From my understanding it works out as somewhat less insane in terms of rules and such. That is unless you get unlucky and get a very unreasonable freeholder/lease terms.

Restrictive covenants have got you covered there. Most of them generally stipulate things like "no caravans in the front garden" rather than maximum length of grass, though. Covenants on housing estates are only really enforced while the developer is still actively selling houses on the estate (they're there to protect profits, not for the benefit of residents)

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Jose posted:

I went to uni in reading so being here twice is fully deserved

https://twitter.com/alistaircoleman/status/1625120541332983809?s=20

As a Kentish man, I can assure everyone that there are at least 10 towns in Kent worse than Canterbury
This list doesn't look particularly scientific

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Sounds like you were having a bad day

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i was trying to get by train to a funeral near stafford by train from the continent, and for the london to stafford portion for some reason they weren't selling advance singles or off peak, more than 10 days in advance, a regular anytime single was £225 for a 1hr20 min journey

this is the same as petrol for driving the whole entire thousand mile round trip & the chunnel costs

or alternatively 10x the max train fare of €29,40 in the netherlands for a ~5 hour journey

i hate england

You got intensely ripped off there (it's a journey I make semi-regularly), advance tickets are pretty easy to get and are about £25 but the most expensive peak ticket is £117 and if you take the stopping service at peak it's £70. Walk on off-peak is about £50

e: missed the "from the continent" bit, not sure how you would have booked a ticket but you could have got a pass to get you unlimited travel on most trains in the country for several days for less than that

Betjeman has issued a correction as of 11:48 on Mar 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Maybe from the continent, though I imagine I would have similar issues trying to book a ticket in advance in a foreign country.
When I travel abroad I tend to just turn up at the train station and wave my hands around until there's a ticket in it (pretty much the same as I do here).