Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beat Sea Salt, its bad in two ways and somehow the gameplay piece isn't the part that bothers me as much.

In gameplay terms, its a bit of a mess. In a game all about pathfinding on the regular your minions will take insane and strange routes, stand around doing nothing, or seemingly go out of their way to get killed off-screen. Certain enemies are massively, massively more dangerous than others and you sort of have to hope enemies accidentally box themselves in sometimes because otherwise they can keep kiting your units forever. Further, on regular difficulty there really isn't any reason to not be using crabs/fishmen/cultists and ignoring all other things you can summon. Nice that you can retry any screen including bossfights. This setup so trundled the final boss I, 0 exaggeration, just held the attack button down and did literally nothing else and won.

The story though, thats the thing really bringing down the experience. The core concept is really fun, you are Dagon upset that your followers are being led astray by a church thats decided they don't want to make the sacrifices for you while reaping the rewards you give. The first problem is that the writing is honestly pretty bad; the evil bishops dialog is so badly written and confused its hard to understand why anyone would support him and fails to give you any understanding of the faith. It just is like "gibberish line", whining he doesn't want to die and that he hates his god, and then demanding the faithful to do things which they do; it is so badly written it makes it less satisfying to murder him. The second is that despite being a Lovecraft inspired game it dips into other motifs at seemingly random, like the entire ye olde fantasy setting necromancer, and then some completely unconnected jabs at christianity. The writing just can't seem to stay focused on the concept of "your followers have been led astray, you the very real and very active Dagon" and struggles mightily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unironically, just look up a guide or get ready for someone to vomit that caliber advice at you because FFT is an absolutely brutal early game and you will want every advantage possible. .

It also doesnt get easier per se as you progress, you just have way more options to deal with things as you progress but there are still incredibly hard fights with complete untelegraphed gotcha traps. It also has a ton of tedious and obtuse systems that are either unexplained in game or so densely overcomplicated that can have huge impacts on how good your units are that Im gonna repeat you probably want to crack open at least a miniguide so you arent wasting your time doing things like "using the knight class"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 1, yep. Its really good because some of the laws are things you cant control because theyre automatic effects of critical hits.In 2 you just lose a bonus prize for breaking the law which is way better and more satisfying.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFTA has an ending and its a fun one since the villain wins

Looper posted:

the no knockback law is only in ffta2, pretty sure. in the first game you could end up in a fight with all monsters while the "don't hurt monsters" law was active if you aren't paying attention and don't have any antilaw cards, but there aren't any you can trigger accidentally

You are right, I muddled the two up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont know if Ive ever played a game less interested in teaching you how to play it than Fishing Sim World. I made more progress in Unlimited Saga than this. There are multiple, video only tutorials in this game, and not a one is about how one actually hooks the fish on the line.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was dissapointed this wasnt just 250 pictures of animals

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts is the only approaching decent game the two were in and its still chockfull of garbage.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I feel like this is more than a little bit hyperbolic

I agree after further deliberation now that Im off work.

I still dont like Banjo&Kazooie 1 and 2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I love CCGs but I don't want to play 1v1 format, please someone other than a multiple years out of date magic the gathering game include a 2v2 or other style game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

Try the Arkham Horror or Marvel Champions game. They’re LCG’s (so your packs aren’t randomized, so you don’t have to spend hundreds to try collect everything. Just buy the packs) and co-op games, with Arkham you go through story scenarios, and Marvel you try to take down a villain.

They don’t have digital versions if that’s what you’re after though.

That is indeed what I'm after, sadly. I love LCGs just, you know, the model isn't conducive to people hogging up the bandwith.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I really liked WinBack even if it was strictly better on the PS2 when they got around to porting it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I kept telling my friends Hybrid Heaven on N64 was extremely good because it seemed cool and mature but actually I didn't understand it at all and didn't have the expansion pack so I couldn't even save my game

Hybrid Heaven seems so cool and then you sit down to play it was my experience.

Also its cheating but that Evangelion game for the N64 that never came to America is another interesting N64 game because it was kind of like an attempt at RAD before RAD and also is the source for a bunch of the worst Evangelion EU material.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If Max Payne 3 didnt have the absolutely godawful loadtimes it suffers from itd be the best in the series but sadly Max Payne for the GBA remains the best.

And MP3 felt like a really authentic and good progression for the character and the use of untranslated portuguese was really good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

I can't believe MK is out, that game literally just came out

also lol at granblue, horny gacha games get fighters now??

It has the most cabinets at arcades in Japan outside of maybe Tekken 7

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Have any of you ever cried over something sad happening in a video game? If so, what and why? I feel dumb for having cried at some game stuff but I also feel like games that do try to go for that kind of emotional response end up being kinda heavy handed in their attempts. Of course it is also influenced by how you express your emotions and feelings, too.

The interracial family short story in Lost Odyssey from the first day I read it until the day I die.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BisbyWorl posted:

God, Lost Odyssey desperately needs a rerelease.

Its got a digital rerelease version on the Bone which is where I played it a year ago to discover I am in fact if anything more prone to tearing up to that story

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i can't remember which one this is specifically but the two that always stick with me are the one about the irresponsible dad who wants to run away and adventure with kaim, and Bright Rain

oh and the ending of They Live In Shells

Its called "Letters from a Weakling".

bushisms.txt posted:

2 pages late but this is wrong. The game tossed out all the lessons learned from 2. The real ending is in Alan wake. Gameplay was dope though

I played through MP2 a bunch of times and while its been years my memory is the ending is "everyone but max is dead and he has absolutely nothing to look forward to."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Did they throw in Marvel Infinite for free?

But nah its a good haul and youll have tons of fun. Undernight is better than you might suspect at first glance.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

When are they gonna bring back all the old marvel Capcom fighting games, those were the height of my interest in fighting games

I wish theyd make MvC4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Infinitum posted:

They did. Infinite.

It got clowned on by the much better game DB FighterZ

Infinite isnt MvC4 and you cant force me to recognize it as such.

FirstAidKite posted:

What would anyone here want to see from a Demon's Souls remaster? Just a completely faithful 1:1 remaster or would you want to see some new content, like in the form of the giant archstone, or just new bosses and areas or ways to more easily flip between the world tendency or more world tendency events in general?

Personally a world tendency overhaul, get rid of the grasses or retool the health regen, change how the gosh darn salamanders work, change the penalty for soul forms presentation into a perk of body form, and delete 4-2 entirely and try again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

haveblue posted:

Also delete the Scraping Spear and the level stealing spell

Oh yeah, definitely. Cant believe I ignored those, probably too busy thinking of single player.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrast posted:

Instead of removing the scraping spear from DeS, add it into every souls game

There is a much better game coming out if you want to roleplay a smith trying to drive up demand for their services

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pursuer in Scholar of the First Sin goes from an interesting foe you encounter a couple times prior to their battle to a yakety sax rear end in a top hat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Just imagining the pr department sitting kamiya down in front of the thong song video

Yes, nods Kamiya, this man has spirit

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrast posted:

They ruined Arkham by making it open world imo

Yeah, pretty much. One neat bossfight is the only praise I have for City and Knight is just bad

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I cant believe Im saying this but Yu-gi-oh Duel Links for the DS is probably the best single player card game ever made. It has basically one thing Id tweak about it but otherwise is the model for how to design your long running card game into a single player experience.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beartaco posted:

I just busted out my DS from the closet yesterday and have been looking for games to play on it. Which Yu-gi-oh game are you talking about? Duel Links looks to be an ios/android thing.

Sorry youre right duelist link is the mobile game, but sadly for you the game Im talking about is for the switch. The name is Yu-gi-oh Evolution of the Duelist: Link Evolution, hence when I probably thought it was Duelist Link.

I genuinely want to yell in Hasbro's phone about it because its core concept is what Magic has been loving up for years

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Combat in batman is both boring to me as well as doesnt click in my brain well and the AI actually controlling batman, max, wei shen, whoever seemingly hates me so they likes to fly off at people I dont want them to and very regularly seems to just whiff attacks which is a super good feeling that I dont certainly hate. I know it really works for some people but Arkham derived combat makes me mentally check out from games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh cool I have a bug in subnautica where I cant sprint underwater but can on dry land. Well thats that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Korra's by Platinum is not a very good game and has two different awful gameplay modes in it, only one of which is the stereotypical "Platinum is really bad at change of pace gameplay", but the combat is still less aggravating for me than Batman, even if I note as above, its a far less good package overall.

Well maybe not Knight, the Batmobile is just dire.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Those electric stick holding people were the bane of my existence because Batman seemed disturbingly thrilled to not only focus on them last in a crowded fight, but to propel himself over to them to get a nice good taste of the electric stick every single time he got too into a fight. The only way I was able to beat one of the fights with them was by purposefully lowering batmans combo meter a couple times in the fight so he'd just do what I wanted.

I guess what I'm saying is my brain problem that prevents me from using Batman's combat correctly makes me feel like I'm not really in control and is so antithetical to what I like about character action games that I can't make it happen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its the godawful bear riding sections that really ruin Korra and I got I think every achievement in that game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

W101 has multiple really bad auto-scrollers, so even before we digress into whatever broke brainery I may have about the core formation system it is not stellar in every way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Every Platinum game is basically me firing it up, loving it, and wondering when I'm going to hit the inevitable autoscroller that ruins all pacing and enjoyment and makes me dread another playthrough.

Just don't include them, Platinum, its literally less work to do that!

Edit: If you're curious why I accurately predicted that Star Fox Zero would be a bad game despite Platinum, it was because it was an entire game made up of the autoscrollers that nobody likes in Platinum games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Rising is the best PG game once again.

There is that brief, mandatory slow-walking section I could do without. For some reason I don't remember an autoscroller in Vanquish but to be fair I remember extremely little about vanquish except wishing I was playing on PC instead of a console. It's a weird game cause I love the concept deeply but the finished product ended up in this half space where I felt like if you knew the properties and rules of everything you could be appropriately cool but experimenting to get there was too steeply punished and standard 3rd person shootening was too well rewarded.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

To be very honest, the complexity of a given combat system has very little bearing on how much I enjoy it. For me is a mixture of clear input->output, time to defeat a foe versus involvement, a purpose to variety, and clarity and cohesiveness of the characters move set.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That stupid Avatar game didn't arrive in time when I needed to grind out achievements for that one, and only one, context Microsoft did where you won real world stuff for gridning achievements so I had to make due with the Peter Jackson King Kong game and Madden.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Weedle posted:

is “character action” just a shorthand for “something that hideki kamiya and/or platinumgames was involved in”

It's an attempt to distinguish one of the many genre-children of Brawlers, and would include things like God of War, Platinum Games, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden (Xbox and one entries) and some absolutely janky garbage like X-Blades and Nanobreaker.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Songbearer posted:

Dynasty Warriors only the enemy fodder units are my hopes and dreams

Instead of using your Musou attack, you can quit your job without a new one lined up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't think I ever used the other weapons in Revengeance other than to mess around with them just because. The game did not remotely need them in my experience.