Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

I love how if you raise a unit's faith too high they'll become pacifist church members and leave

also why ramza is the strongest mage in the game, because he can never leave no matter how high his faith gets so you can grind him up to the point where he'll always start a fight with 95% magic efficacy without needing to buff

iirc he still has a warn quote after every encounter though???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homeless snail posted:

not unusual. electron and cef is real big right now, because no one in the past 40 years has ever managed to make a good ui api, so everyone just gave up and decided to embed web browsers in their apps

who the gently caress cares about api just write some raw script with 2d draw calls to very specific x,y coordinates it's not hard people i can do it in a loving afternoon

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homeless snail posted:

me, a non crazy person, I just use dear. but dear, as popular as it is, is also a form of giving up and a regression

it's fun watching everyone collectively realize that the past couple decades of computer science has largely been total bullshit

my friend in the business keeps telling me to just say gently caress it and shotgun apply to a bunch of positions in the field and i'm like "but what if they find out i just hack everything together and it's all just an inefficient hideous logic gate machine that happens to Get The Intended Result"

to which he says, "what do you think computer science IS"

FirstAidKite posted:

I never played FFTA but I remember someone telling me that the game doesn't even have a proper ending, just that it kinda ends with the player being able to keep playing but the story itself doesn't wrap up. Is that true or was the person just making poo poo up?

Wouldn't this apply to guest/unique party members too or do they actually manage to leave?

nah the story ends properly. it's a little open ended but yknow. he may have misinterpreted one of the chapter endings idk.

as for uniques, they will also leave if their Faith gets too high (or Brave too low, i think Orlandu complains about getting too old for this poo poo for example and then leaves for ever). technically proper Guests won't ever leave your party either but 1) they can't be deployed in random encounters and 2) they won't appear in enough story missions to permanently increase their Faith high enough to trigger the disbanding event

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SeXReX posted:

ok now make it scale to 100 different resolutions and then also like 5 different aspect ratios

ez no problem it's just a basic trig formula

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
no that's just an opportunist until he eats it himself

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LawfulWaffle posted:

In FFT, the Squire class gets two very important abilities (imo): JP Up and Throw Stone. JP Up is a multiplier to the JP earned by any action, and Throw Stone is a weak ranged attack with no cost. In the beginning of the game I usually spend several battles killing all the monsters except one, then throwing stones at my party members to gain a bunch of JP. You’ll wind up gaining abilities and classes a lot faster than if you were just focusing on finishing maps as quickly or efficiently as possible.

I’m a little bummed about this Warcraft 3 news because I never had a copy myself and only played bits at friends houses. It interested me but I’ve never been a major PC gamer. Now it looks like I’ll never be able to get the unadulterated version

>grinds with throw stone but not accumulate

even ignoring the obvious resource cost, accumulate also activates in fewer frames. also the correct way to do it is with a mediator/orator, or possibly an oracle with move-mp up, so you can Chicken the last man standing instead. but both options are honestly kind of poo poo because the accuracy sucks on the former and the latter has slightly better accuracy but without a ton of MP to spam their skills (which you won't have properly until you get advanced mage armor in ch3) oracles are basically dead weight options-wise

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Weedle posted:

Is this going to be one of those games where I constantly have to be minmaxing or I’ll be obliterated

you won't need to min-max, you just need a mid-level understanding of the systems. which you won't get just by playing, you have to pay a lot of attention.

the best advice i can give you is that your Physical Attack and Magic Attack, the two really low numbers by the sword and staff on your status screen, are basically hard multipliers (and sometimes just straight up logarithmic) because they're so marginal. so, value equipment that increases Speed, PA or MA, and maybe Move (in that order) over HP and MP, if you want to succeed

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

The interracial family short story in Lost Odyssey from the first day I read it until the day I die.

i can't remember which one this is specifically but the two that always stick with me are the one about the irresponsible dad who wants to run away and adventure with kaim, and Bright Rain

oh and the ending of They Live In Shells

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

- Trust fund college hippie who literally, and I mean literally, tried to frame me for arson by saying I burned a hole in their couch. Then broke one of my rear view mirrors and got their rich dad to pay me since they didn't have insurance. In a pretty bizarre bit of cosmic irony, a week after my partner and I decided we couldn't take it and moved out, the whole house burned to the ground.

what the gently caress is it with trust fund brats, arson, and sitting in bathtubs full of poo poo while playing a saxophone

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

Was that FF12 sequel any good

the costume design was good, but iirc it was one of those games that used SE's experimental "can we stuff an RTS into the DS's processor?" system

the problem being, the answer to that question is a resounding No

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Khanstant posted:

The weird part of that game was that combat was nice and satisfying but having to move around the map felt like you were on punishment.

they made the same mistake i did in dragon game where you just walk ploddingly (except this armored fellow runs majestically)

well this time i learned my lesson, cranked up the base move speed, and also added a small bonus based on your speed stat. as it should be

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The 7th Guest posted:

fast movement is a must for any game imo

you know what it is sometimes though is it's you don't want the player to run through your walls because they're moving more px/fr than the width of your wall hitboxes like this is sonic 3 lol

<your smallest hitbox unit - 1px>/2 is a good point of reference for max player speed imo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
you dk pepper haters just arent intellectuals

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ometeotl posted:

Tyson Hesse is not Ken Penders

how do we know that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

Ain't nothing wrong with ripping off a hunk of fresh sourdough and just going to town on it raw

me in college errday

sadly i no longer live anywhere near good bread, let alone sourdough

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Songbearer posted:

gently caress your grapefruit.

dont gently caress your grapefruit

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

Really? Most people didn’t like the ending because it came from left field even though it makes perfect thematic sense.

i guess if you didn't get the best-best ending i could see people getting sour over that, because the setup presumes that if you DIDN'T play nice you're about to get liquefied, but i did my best so it was an ending of hope... for a badass sequel that is doomed never to exist :(

like imagine that, prey but set in a slice of a futuristic terrestrial city, or even just an Infested Nakatomi Building. Prey 2 Die Hard

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 23, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WaltherFeng posted:

I need your help thread:

aeriiiIII

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SeXReX posted:

If you don't name your jrpg party after cuties you have crushes on your are coward

yes but the last time i named everyone sephiroth it didn't work out so well

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bushisms.txt posted:

A flat earther just died trying to launch themselves into space like wile e coyote. I'm usually overly empathetic, but I'm so steeped in podcasts dealing with his ilk, all I can do is shrug.

iirc he himself wasn't a flat earther, he was just grifting because they're an audience that paid out to fund his steam-powered rocket hobby

think of it as the small time equivalent of being sponsored by phillip-morris

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Infinitum posted:

https://www.space.com/daredevil-mad-mike-hughes-dies-in-homemade-rocket-launch.html
Weird grift if the end result is you dying in a rocket accident.

i mean, what's the quote they use in civ 4 for Rocketry? "the rule of thumb for the rocket enthusiast is, always assume it will explode" or whatever? he knew the risks going in--and i don't mean that in a "he brought this upon himself" kind of way; more, he accepted the risks of his hobby and enjoyed pursuing it anyway knowing that it could have, and has in the past, gone pear- or as the case may be pancake-shaped.

guy got to die doing the thing he loved. you might say "yeah but he's dead" but i say well if i got to choose, well i'd rather go doing an LD50 of thc than having a heart attack i tell you what

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Infinitum posted:

Hype for weekend where I will be drugged out of my mind playing vidya games in bed while recovering from the very much non-hype 'having a bunch of teeth removed'

personally i prefer lying in bed playing video games drugged out of my mind without the teeth removed part but you do you brah

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

they released info on the new xbox today but I don't know what a terraflop is so it's all words to me

it's what the new xbox is about to become

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

Will 12 trillion floating point operations per second get us better hair in video games

no but it means i can program even more messily now

like i doubt i'll ever hit just 1tn floating point operations per second so this is really just a safety buffer as fas as im concerned

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CJacobs posted:

Since this is self-reported, I wonder how much of the results are tainted by teens lying in order to look cool, and if such a trend would raise or lower over time.

so you're saying weed has become less cool over time

well i'm fine with that i was never "hip" or "trendy" to begin with

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i realized today that the original dancing mad track uses squaresoft's kendang drum synth

uematsu experimenting with instruments on the final boss track like he doesn't give a gently caress

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

is there a resource site with these portraits so i can mod bg2 with them

im a little tired of the movie star edits, they're kind of last-decade

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have tried beans with pasta and my brain cannot reconcile it, it recoils the same way whenever I see Brits with beans on toast.

Beans only work with rice and/or tortillas, I try to have an eclectic palate but I can't get past this

well it really depends on the bean

like you can make a chickpea work with anything imo. otoh kidney beans are a pox on all they touch

e: EXCEPT when being used as a thickening agent for chili but of course this means you've basically boiled them into a paste and are they really a bean at that point? hummus is not a bean

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jay Rust posted:

I looked it up, looks like it’s dumb anime

you had better not be poo poo talking sangatsu no lion binch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't know what that is but I will all the same

it's a japanese cartoon about a dude who is a professional shogi player. sometimes he wins, sometimes he loses, there's a supporting character in it who wonders why his fiery spirit doesn't win him matches the way his animes promise you can, and it's mostly about the main character learning to appreciate life and enjoy shogi as more than just his job