Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

"I Zelda you're the one for me"? :confused: :confused::confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Let's rank 80s-90s Maxis games instead.

vvv This is unfortunately a bad opinion!

mutata fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 2, 2020

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Here, I photo scanned the 1995 Maxis Product Catalog for reference. I think this must've been RIGHT as Windows 95 came out and right before SimCopter and Streets of Sim City.

https://imgur.com/gallery/XkWlgYD

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SimCopter was 1996.
Streets of Sim City was 1997.
Half-Life was 1998.

In my mind those seem like they were WAAAAAY further apart.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm 35 and while there's lots of stuff I still give a gently caress about, it's almost entirely not the stuff I gave a gently caress about at age 20, for good and for bad. It's a wash, is what I'm saying, so make good choices, do some stretches, go jogging a few times a week, and enjoy yourself.

SimCity 2000 on floppy disc was the first game I owned and I have that product catalog because I bought a boxed copy off of eBay a while back to replace my lost original copy and I keep it on my shelf.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That tweet would be an interesting conversation for me to have with my game art friends about the explicit and implicit effects of "art style" as an element of game design, but presented on Twitter by Chet it's some kind of representation of an absolute law of game marketing from on high or something.

Chet's tweets mostly just make me tired. More so than Rami's.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Man, I'm so excited for Animal Crossing. The New Leaf thread was awesome and that one goon had that town, Crapton I think, that was open 24/7 where we could all go dump items for everyone to catalog and someone would get a fat turnip price every week and we'd all get rich.

I gave all my townies security cameras as gifts and they put them in their houses, creating a surveillance state. I built an arcade upstairs in my house. It kicked rear end.

This is the best pic I could find. This was in the early stages.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There's HITMAN from 2016 and HITMAN 2 from like last year or whenever the gently caress. Those are the good ones and you should play both!

Edit: or yeah do that ^^

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I wonder when they're gonna finally announce that AAA Harry Potter game.

mutata fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 8, 2020

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah I'm not a fan of detective vision, myself. If you can't make detectiving fun without turning it into a glow-filter lightbulb hunt (which is legit difficult!) then I'd rather it not be in there at all.

I include the version of it in Horizon Zero Dawn, one of my favorite games, but at least in that one you got to see a holographic recreation of what happened sometimes.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

^^^ It was leaked footage from a shopping mall focus group that someone smuggled a cell phone into, lol.

Waffleman_ posted:

A Harry Potter game coming out in the 2020s would certainly make me go AAA.

I'm expecting it to hit this holiday season, but they're really dragging their feet getting the marketing started..

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Beat em ups are River City Ransom or Double Dragon type games though.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Chev posted:

These days those are more specifically called belt scrollers by genre aficionados. Character action games are pretty much their modern descendants.

Ehhh I'm just gonna call them all "fighting games" now just to make the genre nerds mad.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You guys still talking about fighting games?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

homeless snail posted:

imagine thinking this is an own when fgs and brawlers are intimately linked. just lol

See? I knew it was a good name for them.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

We are very polite when the thread is final fantasy for days on end.

What have you done, you fool! You've said the words and into the darkness we plunge again..

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Kinky Cookie Bunny posted:

Hi this is usually more kite's thread to post in but he asked me if I wanted to share in here the good news and I said sure

after only 2 months working at my current job they've given me a raise!!!

I know what you do from Discord conversations and I genuinely hope it's going well and that they're treating you well and it looks like it! Congrats, lol.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's silly because recent events aren't even close to the first time someone's gotten laid cause of Sonic.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Pain Elementals spit out little Lost Soul kids so they're definitely female.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hearing the details of what they're doing in China to stop the spread of covid19 is gnarly and cements my understanding that we're going to hit it pretty hard because no way Americans put up with what they're doing there.

It's smart to have a few weeks of food and sanitation products on hand for now.

Besides, being prepared and willing/able to follow recommended action is what helps others survive, even if you yourself aren't worried about getting sick.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I bet you a copy of Animal Crossing we'll all be fine and this time next year this will just be another bird flu or pan flu or mad cow or zika or vuvezelas.

Oh I'd bet money that nothing too drastic happens to this general games chat thread group. Americans are definitely gonna die though. And a good number of them. Mostly olds, but some younger folks too. Being prepped to respond to the threat is just as much helping slow the spread as it is to keep ones self from getting sick and as much as we can spread it out and slow it's spread, the better our poo poo healthcare system will be able to keep up with it and the better the overall outcome.

There's always a chance that as they continue to learn and to try everything to see what sticks that they'll find something that helps. The ONLY short term thing currently being looked at that might help are some anti-malaria drugs that they're testing to see if they help. We'll have that data sometime next week. Maybe that will be a turning point and we'll all laugh about it all but as the situation CURRENTLY stands, there's nothing to suggest in the science, and nothing that the government is yet doing that would lead one to expect anything except unhindered spread for the foreseeable future.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

I'll be honest I don't really entirely get how stockpiling a few weeks of food would even help.

Like, if an outbreak does occur, its not gonna just last a few weeks right? Its gonna be something we have to deal with for months. At least that was how I thought it was shaping up.

Quarantines for people who have been in contact with someone who tests positive are recommended to be 14 days minimum to be sure as the incubation period can be around 14 days from getting the virus to exhibiting symptoms. Further, quarantine of exposed people is necessary because the virus can be passed to others anytime from 24 hours after exposure all the way through, including those 2 weeks before symptoms show up and sick people don't know they're sick.

If you're told you're required to quarantine (like the 700 people in New York yesterday), it will be immediately that minute and you'll be glad you have some poo poo to eat.

If we as a society move towards large scale containment strategies then that will be 4-6 weeks or more of isolation in homes as they're doing in China, which lol we'll see, but I can definitely see that happening in specific areas that have bad clusters of outbreak like cities.

In all cases it'll be best to be set up to comply. Again, this is all stuff that is actually happening in other places already, not hypothetical situations. It just depends on how our totally super capable administration wants to play it, which is another reason why I bought some extra cans of soup and beans this morning.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Clapping erasers? Safe. Clapping asscheeks? Afraid not.

mutata fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 29, 2020

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Since I'm the one writing essays about it, I at least need to do the responsible thing and link to someone who talks about actual data from a medical point of view.

https://youtu.be/5rOTz9duXwo

This guy has been doing daily videos on the previous 24 hours' news and numbers and it's worth checking it out if you're at all curious. It definitely seems like it's going to get worse before it gets better. What "worse" means will depend on how many people get sick and how sudden or spread out (chronologically or geographically) the cases are, and if they find that any current drugs treat the symptoms in any way (promising but still waiting on better data!). Vaccine in 2021 sometime.

I'll drop the topic now as I'm sure there's lots of folks who come here to avoid this kind of stuff and I'm sorry. Take care of yourself and yours, all!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Thankfully no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I early-voted for Bowsette in the Democratic presidential primaries and she's going to win Super Tuesday.