Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So why do people on video game twitter keep pretending Kiryu from the Yakuza series is a character who "doesn't know what sex is", those game are incredibly horny and you can take girls to hotels in most of them. The only characters who gently caress more explicitly are in bad David Cage games.

homeless snail posted:

i believe that's twee

That's not what that word means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Speaking of Blizzard, I cannot believe how badly they have screwed up this Warcraft 3 reforged thing. All they had to do was make the polygons slightly less jaggedy and maybe allow people to zoom out further.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm glad people are finally turning on Naughty Dog.

In other news

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

4 - anarchy reigns 2

gently caress that. I want a proper Madworld 2, not another watered down "let's make everything worse so it can be multiplayer" spinoff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

N64 had the AKI wrestling games, it will never be topped as a console.

But to speak dispassionately for a moment, Nintendo completely shot themselves in the foot by going with a system that couldn't meaningfully do FMVs at a time when FMVs were such a gigantic selling point for early 3D games, especially JRPGs. That was really an own goal there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Going back a bit, Nuts and Bolts is a half finished exploration platformer that had its maps doubled in size to awkwardly turn them into racetracks to serve a very mediocre racer system, it has no value. Especially when you remember this is the company that brought us Diddy Kong Racing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dogmeat doesnt take up a party space so hes always around. And in Dragon Age 2 people who preordered got a summonable doggo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/ReviewsPokemon/status/1224811949034221570

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

making a good puzzle game is hard as hell because even a single bad puzzle ruins the whole thing because you stop trusting the game.

That never seemed to bother Sierra.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Seems like a good policy to me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hey fun fact, the top loading deck of the NES was a completely cosmetic function added to the design to make it resemble the then-current technology of VCRs to set it apart from the atari, which still had a negative reputation due to the video game crash.

Grapplejack posted:

Not really, unless you think video games are actual poison and you don't trust children or their parents to be able to handle themselves.

I am in favor of any policy that curbs the predatory practices of big corporations. Video games aren't poison but skinner boxed multi million dollar online experiences absolutely are, and they know it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah I always found it suspicious that there's this narrative where the PC cannot fail, only be failed. If the PC version is better it proves the PC's good, and if the console version is better well the problems with the PC version are obviously the console's fault for forcing a lovely port.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ometeotl posted:

That's not at all what the regulation you're responding to says or is fighting

Doesn't matter what its obviously terrible intent is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

should i play more than the first monkey island? i've heard the ps2 one got real bad but not sure about the inbetween games

2 is very good. 3 is not as good but it's quite fun. 4 is the bad one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If by incorrect you mean completely and entirely correct without even an exception.

Relax Or DIE posted:

this is correct - the telltale episodic one is okay too, probably worse than the first 3 but better than 4. to be honest, it might be my particular brain worms talking, but if you play 2/3/5 you might as well play 4 too. it's not great but it has a few moments.

Yeah the Telltale one's not bad. Far from the best Telltale or Monkey Island game, and the asset reuse is very obvious in the later episodes, but I enjoyed it overall.

Disposable Scud posted:

Why am I enjoying MK9 more than X and the newer one

9 is extremely solid and does its best to feel nostalgic for people who played the old games, X and 11 get more experimental in a bad way imo.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 5, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

i rank the old telltale era something like this

1. sam & max devils playhouse
2. strong bad game
3. tales of monkey island
4. law & order legacies
5. puzzle agent
6. sam & max season 2
7. back to the future
8. puzzle agent 2
9. poker night (lol it had tycho from penny arcade)
10. uhh the bone games i guess??
11. sam & max season 1
12. jurassic park
13. endlessly falling off a bike and scraping my knees
14. wallace and gromit

Jurassic Park needs to be way lower.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

I was hoping that Poker Night 2 would lead to a series of telltale venture bros games but they ended up down the path of the walking dead style of games.

I woulda killed for an Army of Darkness game in the style of the good Telltale games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

Radical heights exists in my heart, damnit

That makes you a Radical Dreamer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There is not one single disappearance in Obra Dinn that you have to guess, the information is all there, although some leaps are required for a few of them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The super star from mario theme.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That reminds me that the animations on Luigi's Mansion 3 are some of the greatest I've seen in a mario game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I still think they should have a surprise twist and have Tifa die instead

I just wanted them to give the original good graphics and maybe improve the controls on some of the mini games, the last thing I want is for them to change the last 2 things this completely unrelated game has in common with FF7.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Relax Or DIE posted:

I too crave stagnancy

If you want a new game make a new game, don't make FF7. It's a game that has extremely dated graphics and audio, and could really use a polish, but instead of doing that they're making it into a lame action RPG. It's cowardly and a clear sign of the lead dev's ego being out of control.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Games people are coming back with positive reactions... is history being made
https://twitter.com/lucyjamesgames/status/1226260769957793792

People going to advance screenings and getting free swag bags saying the thing is good is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

emphatically not true so long as you're jumping over people

If you jump over the guys with electric sticks you get zapped.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not an expert on Yakuza as a series but 4 has several glaring flaws, including making you play as the lamest guy ever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yakuza 1 and 2 were both written by someone who had also written Yakuza crime novels, which is why the tone changes after 2. 1 also is very much a game where they didn't really know at the time the direction the series should go in, as well.

Let me tell you, the Kiwami games do not bridge that gap elegantly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kiwami 1 and to a lesser extent 2 do kinda feel like cheap DLC of Zero rather than full on remakes of the original two games, especially in some of the side content. But it's still very fun to punch fellows in them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

For the record it's pronounced ya-koo-za, not yekza.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dewgy posted:

"Yak-za". Like a yak pizza.

No it's definitely Yakooza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojdt50q_Htk

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

People were way too generous to those games when they came out because it was 3D sonic with a STORY, and he goes SUPER SAIYAN, but they're really bad. They don't hold up, and replaying them if you have fond memories of them will make you realize you manufactured those memories. There's really nothing good in those games except for the soundtrack, especially 2's (minus the knuckles raps which are incredibly phoned in).

That's why the backlash against Sonic Heroes didn't make sense to me. It was just more of the same, but apparently people's expectations were based on their false memories of SA, not the actual games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Convex posted:

I like Sonic Mania and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Both are very fun and the second has the bonus of being fully playable in split screen even in career mode, so I can try to unlock stuff while my son aimlessly drives the wrong way and falls off cliffs :v:

Other games, where Sonic talks, are strange and unusual and I don't very much care for them

also I have a feeling I may have made this exact post previously in one of these threads

Sonic Mania is extremely good. The first Sonic Advance is also quite fun, not quite up to S3&K quality but a very good 2D sonic that manages to incorporate the then-current character designs and abilities without feeling like too much of a departure gameplay-wise. Sonic Advance 2 and 3 have serious issues, though.

Pretty much every other Sonic game after the Genesis is a mixed bag at best, including Sonic CD.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

homeless snail posted:

good things about sonic cd

the intro
the soundtrack
that one part on the first level where you go up the loop and the camera turns

bad things about sonic cd

everything else

Hey don't forget that it was pretty. A lot of the visual flourishes in Mania were taken from CD almost frame for frame. But yeah it's got serious issues, not least of which that it's a Sonic game where you can get lost in the stages.

a glitch posted:

I thought the rush games were pretty good :shobon: they are New Sonic as gently caress though.

I'll be real I never played those, they might be one of the secret good ones. Generations is very close to being a good game, it even makes stages from 06 seem fun, and i love all the song remixes and covers, but it's got just enough jank and annoying BS (that final boss, ugh) to fall into the mixed bag category for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dewgy posted:

How soon we forget Madonna, Sonic’s blonde human girlfriend.

I love that the only reason Madonna was nixed is that a single woman was on Sonic team and looked at her and said "WTF".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Back in the 90s~

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

did anyone even like gambit he was essentially pepe lepew that threw exploding playing cards from what i remember

For at least 15 years he was the second most popular X-man after Wolverine, and it wasn't even close. Which is why Fox stubbornly refusing to include him in the movies other than a brief cameo and his solo film constantly getting delayed and canceled was really baffling. He's been in a couple decent comics here and there but his popularity has definitely faded, and now it's too late to cash in on a character who's profile was like 10x that of Iron Man's when that first movie came out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

I've never tried Dr Pepper but almost bought one once when I was playing Steins; Gate where they drink dk pepper #productplacement

I once worked at a chain convenience store, and there was a promotion where you could get 2 chocolate bars for the price of one and if you added the 5 cent deposit you got a free Dr. Pepper.

Every single customer who bought 2 chocolates told me "no thanks" on the Dr. Pepper.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

understandable since drinking dr pepper after eating chocolate makes your mouth all foamy and gross

They coulda saved it for later imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

hatty posted:

Imagine if they adapted Bloodlines instead, with its wacky clockwork knights and demonic Tower of Pisa

There's plenty of goofy stuff in the games they've already adapted, the show is just scared of not being cool.