Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

rdb posted:

I would avoid rangers, s10s, tacomas and Colorados. People think they cost less to own but they don’t, the mpg still sucks, the resales are always really high, and the affordable trucks are always beat to poo poo.
As a coworker said with respect to trucks. They all get 18-20mpg (new ecoboost stuff besides), all drive like crap and haul stuff. Either get the nicest one you can afford or the cheapest. But yeah as rdb says, a basic 1/2 ton 2wd truck is nice to have.

On the truck topic, brother borrowed ours for a couple weeks after he killed his VW and now it has a massive vacuum leak somewhere. Can hear it hissing which might make tracking it down easy but now it's nearly undriveable so that's a pain. I need to get him back over here to diagnose and fix it because I don't have the energy to crawl around an engine bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Out photographing yesterday
genuine E30 M3 Evolution Group A car being whaled on.
We're waiting

Siochain posted:

So, got married this weekend. Kept it a secret from everyone but the officiant and the two friends who were witnesses.
Perfect day. +1 outside, light snow, had a little ceremony in a nice park. Went home, ate cake and had coffee, then ordered pizza for supper.
A+ would get married again.
Congrats and well done doing it the low key way

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You Am I posted:

so cars hey people?

I like cars. I like cars so much I'm buying another today. I am however sad because when I looked up how to completely disable traction control, to provide the much necessary burnout video, I discovered people are breaking engine mounts when/if the tires hook up. So unless we get snow or I put something slippery down I probably can't appease the masses.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

STR posted:

“Due to mandatory business closures in China, standard delivery will extend to 21-28 days. Express and priority shipping will not be available. We apologize for any inconvenience.”
This is going to be popping up in a lot of industries. So many rely on last minute for drop ship products from China. Mandatory one week shutdown but several large companies, Foxconn for one, closed with no date set to reopen.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I will say I was surprised when I went to get a car loan and it was automatically a 72 month loan instead of a 36 or even 48 month like it was last time. That is a drat long time to be making payments on a toy. Does explain why so many people selling used cars still have a lien on them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah. The lowest term I was even offered up front (not that I'd go below it) on my latest loan was 60 months.
I'm an idiot and didn't want to deal with all the hoops and steps for an auto loan so I took out a three year personal loan. Interest is about double but I'll have it paid off in 1.5-2 years anyway.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

It's super easy, it's just hard to finish it and get the money with an seller who doesn't have a local bank, has a lien on the vehicle, and has never sold private party. I had qualified for an auto loan when I was shopping e-Golfs.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

rdb posted:

I too feel like its easy to get an auto loan. My credit is excellent, they usually only ask for my drivers license and ssn. I have an idea of what my interest rate should be before I go in, and I let them know that. Last time the ram dealer was able to beat what I thought was the best rate I could find from a CU. No buying down points involved. Their first offer was also $10k off MSRP on a $58k truck which was acceptable to me. Maybe I could have done better but its hard to tell.

The whole process is really easy if you know what numbers should be before you go in and have good credit. You should also know if the make and model your after is worth buying or not. Some cars your better off leasing.
Everything is easy with good credit. Want to buy more house than you can afford, sure no problem. Want a new car you can't afford, here you go.

STR posted:

The dealer also ran us through something like 20 different banks, then wouldn't tell me any of the terms (just kept playing the four square game, then the guilt trip game when I refused to budge).
I was originally looking at the e-golf which was never sold in TN so I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with California dealerships. After the first one tried some screwed up version of four square over the phone then another one wanted to keep playing the 'talk to my manager' game I told the remaining they get one 'talk to manager' and any bullshit games/upsells/etc I'm hanging up and blocking their number. Still got fed up after a few more and bought something local private party. I despise dealerships and this just reinforced it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I have a history of buying things we'll both use (pan, knife, vacuum, etc) but this year with everything we went through and stuff we're still dealing with I splurged and got some shiny stuff...and a good set of floor mats for her car. She took the day off and we went out for a nice lunch at a restaurant we hadn't tried before. Pretty good day.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

meatpimp posted:

What's the easiest way to set up a camera to record the installation of my kitchen this week? I want a record of the conversations of expectations and the procedures they use. I bet everything will be fine, but I want some backup, just in case...

Whenever we install a system they throw a DSLR on a tripod, set it to record and swap the card as necessary. Could do the same with a gopro, on not-max res it would take a while to fill a card. Any conversations you want to record just make sure the camera/mic is close.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

everdave posted:

I clicked on the carvana sell your car Ad on FB and jumped through the hoops and they are offering me 12.6 for my 18 Hyundai I paid 14 + taxes and reg on 26 mo the ago (sticker price was 23k). I’m kind of thinking just have them come pick it up? I have a literal fleet of RHD imports to choose from and they are offering 40k$ Tacoma 4x4 $200/mo leases as well...

Is this dumb?

See what Carmax will offer as well. When we sold the Tacoma carmax offered a couple hundred more then on top of that gave use another $500 if we put that towards buying something from them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

everdave posted:

Does carmax pick up? Closest one is Nashville. I’ll check out the website have a sick kid won’t be going anywhere today.

They do not as far as I know, you'd have to bring it to them and let them go over it to get an offer. Probably not worth it in your case having to drive two cars to Nashville. Carvana that poo poo and daily one of your cool imports.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

meatpimp posted:

2 pages back, but wanted to share a follow up to my e/n post...
Well as someone who just started talking to contractors about having our kitchen redone this is terrifying. On the upside it's just the garage they would flood in my case but holy crap. So good to hear you grabbed some cameras to record the clusterfuck.

We hired a cheap paint crew to throw something up before we moved in and while they did a good job they were messy as hell. We waited to put down the flooring until after they were done and I'm really glad we did. Still had to go back and clean up a lot of the detail work but it was get what you pay for in our case.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

everdave posted:

I am by no means a carvana shill never have used them, didn't buy anything but I am actually pretty shocked that it worked the way it did. I had a crack in the rear bumper side from a year ago and they didn't care. It seems too easy...but they came and literally drove the car one mile (he said he had to see the odometer tick over to make sure it was working) and gave me a check, I signed about 6 papers and he took the car.
They were easy to deal with when I almost bought a car and the cancellation process was easy. Looks like I could get back what I paid for the i3 if I felt like it.

Krakkles posted:

Just checked my car, $200. Drive it until it can go no more it is!
That's what they offered me for the VW

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Steely Dad posted:

I’ve been worried about impending coronavirus spread and stocking up on a few weeks’ food and household goods. Anybody else doing this? It seems like most people I know aren’t expecting anything drastic, or doing much prep. I can’t tell if I’m prudent or paranoid, but I’m leaning toward prudent as poo poo starts getting real in Korea and Italy.
I'm currently even more immuno-suppressed than normal, coronavirus and the basic flu scare the poo poo out of me. I'm wearing a mask anytime I go out in public. I work in a small office with a good group of people who know my situation so they're staying home if they're sick and letting me know if their kids are sick so I can avoid them. Still if I get either now it would not be good, I don't have reserves or much of an immune system. As far as stocking up we have N95 masks and our usual stockpile of canned foods.

Powershift posted:

I’m still poking around. Just trying to figure out the what and the why and the how.
For you and anyone else, I'm a decent listener and will always BS with anyone that just needs to talk. You're a good dude.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I've had the same cheap lovely Harbor Freight three gallon pancake for probably at least five years. It fills tires and not much else but that's all I use it for. It's noisy and slow but it fills tires.

I have a charged nitrogen bottle but haven't picked up adapters to get it down to air chuck size. Should probably do that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

bolind posted:

In other news, recommend me a backpack. Must be able to contain a laptop, be reasonably ergonomic, waterproof and have access possibilities that aren't top only. Osprey is a brand that springs to mind, but I'm not married to it. Will be used to haul laptop, bike helmet, clothes, groceries etc. to and fro on my commute, which will be mainly by bike.
As Beach Bum said Kriega packs are amazing for motorcycle or bicycle use. I've had a R15 for probably 6-8 years that's been all over the country and did 50k miles on a motorcycle, it's still mostly waterproof and holding up great. The harness system is really nice even for just walking around. They're a bit expensive but you can snag them used if you're patient. I also had a R25 for a couple months and that thing will hold a surprising amount of crap. Only sold it because it was much bigger than I needed for daily use. I've used the R15 for week long trips just fine.

If I remember right there's several threads on ADVRider to help figure out what size would be best for you. I think the Kriega guys actually participate in the main thread.

Otherwise Jansport and Swiss Gear are the basic go-to backpack brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My wife just got a bottle of Blanton's can't wait to try it!

I have never been able to find that in store but the couple times I've had it I really enjoyed it. Guess I haven't really looked in the last ~6 months, I'll have to get back on that. We've been drinking a lot less though recently, wife has gone completely sober since mid January and I've cut way back in support.