Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

I drive fast, but rarely aggressively. I'm practically a boy scout when it comes to signaling and etiquette

I just like to go fast :shrug:

This is me. I stop behind stop lines. I signal at any and all times. I use my seat belt. I don't litter or throw trash from my vehicle.

I like vroom vroom noises and feelings. The M3 begs you to rev it past 5K and rewards you when you combo up gear after gear.

Rhyno posted:

I have more money now than ever before.

poo poo, jerkiness levels rising.

You're basically an Alpha Chad at this point.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Darchangel posted:

I’m kind of impressed and horrified that our politics are so terrible that you know about them. I only know a very few details about Australia’s government from your countrymen posting.

The only political commentary I watch which includes my own country's political babble is FriendlyJordies takes on AU government stuff.

Politics are bad is my hot take.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

big dong wanter posted:

Just do what my dirtbag friend did and hook up some junkyard windscreen washers full of bleach to spray at the rear tyres

Buy him an account and instruct :justpost:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

meatpimp posted:

We have a front page mod?

Things equal to zero:
Mods
Masters

I am so ready for the weekend to hit. I haven't touched the Lexus in two days after getting hung up on the alternator replacement done. I just need to play the best Tetris game of my life to get it removed from the chassis. All the other hard parts are done. I have told myself I was putting it off because I am waiting for a couple of rubber air hoses that are cracked and dry rotted. If I left them in place they have a 100% chance of sucking air. Once this is done I will pressurize the coolant system and see where my leak is coming from and then off road adventures!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Anyone else waiting for the bottom to fall out on all the sub prime lending happening in the automotive world? I see it occasionally reported by some financial outlets here and there and it makes sense. Here in Utah I just see too many things with wheels/engines that are very big/shiny/expensive. People seem to leverage the holyballs out of themselves for $100K boats that they get to use four months out of the year and pull with their $70K diesel truck which is usually pulling their $30K side by side when the boat sits.

It is just a bit of madness and I want to be ready to take advantage when it all hits the fan. Anyone else planning for the same?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what result are you expecting? more repossessed used market inventory?

The results I was considering would be a higher inventory count which would drive costs down.

Liquid Communism posted:

Never going to happen. The people who have toys can generally afford them, and everyone else can't afford to be without a car.

The 'sub prime lending' here is a reaction to the simple fact that most of the US doesn't make enough money to actually pay what cars cost anymore, because wage growth hasn't kept up with inflation much less growth in productivity for 50 years.

Min wage in the 1960's is equivalent to $20/hr in 2020. Min wage in 2020 is $7.25. Median hourly wage $15. Well more than half of the US makes under the equivalent of minimum wage in the 60's.

Good thoughts here, thanks for that.

My whole train of thought here is really that there are most new cars flat aren't interesting to me anymore. Cars that are interesting and cool will eventually/probably go away. So it is just random day dreamings; wondering if anyone else ever thinks about stuff like this.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Hey, if it is good for you then good for you man.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ahhhhhh gently caress Canon just pretty much comfirmed the lunatic specs on its next camera are real.

I am really wanting to get a nice full frame camera and step up my game in glass. I have really been eyeing the Sony mirrorless stuff but I just don't know what direction to go. Is this a new mirrorless from them? I have had a Canon crop sensor and lenses as babby's first DSLR and I have liked it. The commitment to glass prices are what has kind of kept me gunshy in jumping into the full frame world.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Tremek posted:

Really neat company and feels good to be working with great people, contributing, and making stupid money. Now ~fin~ fo reals

Heck yes. Get paper! I was getting my tax stuff put together for filing this week and looking at my W2 I was genuinely surprised at the number. I didn't think I was anywhere near what I reached. :feelsgood:

Rhyno posted:

We don't do V-Day because it's the anniversary of her dad's funeral but she was so sad last night so I bought her a sweet present so she's either going to be very happy or she gonna kill me so uh, it's been real maybe?

You will be okay. By the end of tonight you will have rug burn on your knees. While it is okay to keep the memory of her dad each year, it is also okay to make new memories.

My wife and I don't do the V-Day thing for each other. My birthday was three days ago so we just kind of glob it all together. I am okay with it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Just looked at Carvana for the Flex. $12000. That suuuuuucks.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Tremek posted:

They offered $27,200 for the Land Cruiser. I need to sort my poo poo out as to what I’m doing with cars.

I will pay you a handsome $27,500 for your land cruiser.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

KakerMix posted:

I don't know nothin' bout no space wires, but I know that my wife got me a pretty fantastic birthday gift:

LOOK AT THIS loving JACKET
It's a real deal vintage 1980s windbreaker, so no liner, just the outer shell. It's in phenomenal shape, fits perfectly and came all the way from Japan. Also, made in the USA :v:
This is impossibly cool.

Ether Frenzy posted:

That's pretty dope. I had to restrain myself from buying a vintage Gulf racing jacket from the early 70's (not one of the modern recreations) that a vintage sneaker/Jordans guy I know found in his travels for $300 last year due to the fact it's never cold enough in LA to wear it.

:wrong: and I hate to say it but you done messed up.

Good job Rhyno; cool about the Space Wire and aging gracefully. I turned 35 a little less than 2 weeks ago. Twenty year old me would be insanely jealous of 35 YO me.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Bonnie. You taught me SO MUCH. I learned car control in the winter with your rear drive and gigantic wheelbase. I could oppo lock counter steer for blocks at a time during winter for funsies. You were so immediately recognizable that you made me popular by association, thanks for letting me ride your coat tails. You were five years older than me and out of my league. You were thirsty and had a bad drinking habit that I have never been able to match in any of the cars that have followed including ones much faster. Sorry about the neutral drops, but at least I made sure the tires were wet before hand. Not sorry about the jumps. I wish I put a glass pack on just to hear that four barrel eat. If I had you today I would put a lift on you, and some rally tires and armor and blast you through the desert.

A rare fun thread in GBS.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Back in the 2016 election cycle I made a habit of "hiding" every post that was political and it seems to have stuck because now nearly all that shows up for me are BMW/Land Cruiser/RC car related posts. Politic chat is the worst reason for using Facebook.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

A person bold enough to write 800 words rejecting an offer would definitely get signed up for some newletters and emails.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rough stuff Beach Bum. I am not prepared for the next decade as far as watching my parents age is concerned. Same for my in-laws. Being the youngest of 5, and my wife 5 of 6 it sucks that my kids will really more remember "old gramma and old grandpa" unlike my nieces and nephews that are in adulthood. Everyone is in good health, but with the youngest between my parents and my in-laws being 69 I just know that the landscape is going to be very different in a decade.

Is anyone here an entrepreneur/business owner? I have been evaluating my career outlook and I am beginning to see that my life plans as far as 1-2 year vision will mean that there is going to need to have some changes. My industry has been deflating and while it has been a great ride for...well my entire professional life I think that I need to plan for a different path. I am wondering if being a business owner/proprietor is in my future.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

shy boy from chess club posted:

It is, its hard to take a break since there is always something to do and you spend a lot of time off thinking "I should do this now" constantly. The learning process can be harsh too when it comes to taxes/fees/licenses since theres no how-to book on every little thing you have to do/pay for the town/state/fed and I ran into a ton of stumbling blocks in the beginning that ended up in fines or fees that I didnt know about.

Once you figure out most of that stuff and it does start to pay off though is a pretty great feeling. The one that always lingers is the "always stuff to do" thoughts and organizing those into being able to take time off when you need/want to is such a relief. loving off for a long weekend now is the best feeling in the world cause I leave those thoughts at home and can have a great time. The hard work pays off eventually just prepare it to be harder and cost more than you think and you will be better off when it comes time to deal with that stuff.

The "I should just get a regular job" thoughts still happen here and there when poo poo is hard but its worth doing it on your own for the most part, its just not easy since yes, it is your whole life and its all on you.

everdave posted:

Man my mom is 67 and she drives me insane I have to start being nicer, she comes and stays with me a few days a week because we are in the midst of basketball season for the kids and she gets on my last nerve but her greatest fear is breaking her hip...so scary. I need her.

I have owned my own business for the past 8-10 years because I out educated myself for my profession I went to school for (don't be one semester away from your PhD and try to get a teaching job here). I have a ton of freedom but also everything is on me...luckily things just kind of work for me but I have gotten screwed on taxes and lots of things. Think long and hard before leaving the safety of a "real" job. My close friend who I have got into importing a few cars too left working for himself for a stable income for his family. Very hard to go from freedom to a rigid structure but he doesn't have to stay up at night worrying about work.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I would say independent contractor/freelancer is the way to go if you can do that. I did it for a few years and it was great.

I know people that own their own businesses and I wouldn't want that kind of stress tbh. Once you own a business it's your life.

Thanks for the insights. My initial post was really vague but that is because I don't have the time to type out my entire guts and even think anyone would be willing to read through it all.

Basically I have always worked for "small businesses". So I am fortunate that I have been able to see how stuff works end to end. I have had employers who have just basically told me they pay me to make decisions, so go ahead and make decisions. I can definitively point to things and say "This was something I decided to do and it moved the needle X, for good or bad". I have a business concept in mind, and understand that this isn't something I would be striking out to do for at least a year plus but it is an idea. I am fortunate to have some good things going for me, I am pretty young (35) and I am not broke financially. Between cash savings and equity in our home there is a good number there. The plan would be moving out of the Salt Lake Valley down to Southern Utah where real estate is quite a bit less. I am considering making the investment into specialty equipment that can provide specific services. Preliminary stuff has shown that I could get into the machinery without taking any loans, etc. I would need to find some good commercial real estate, but I think I could make a go at this thing. I know it would be rough, starting with a goose egg as far as customers, but I can build it up. I have always told my wife I am happy to not be the head of the business because that guy goes to sleep with way too much on his pillow. Life has a weird way of nudging you towards other things though.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Me, every time I see this thread getting bumped

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Aussies are so good at burnouts they can haze the tyres of a Mustang and not hit pedestrians

Maybe they aren't hitting pedestrians but aussies are real good at extincting koalas and other native species with fire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Lousy Smarch weather!