Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Krakkles posted:

I mean, he's posted far more recently than and more often than the current mod, so I'm not sure that's a real argument against :q:

We have a front page mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

slidebite posted:

Speaking as a total outsider, they may or may not push out Bernie, but no way will zombie Hillary be back. Even they know that's a 100% guarantee of Trump Mk2. Hell, she has to know that too.

As common sense with a lot of things that Bernie is, legitimately or not, he freaks a lot of people out.

Of course he does. As an actual Liberal, rather than the poseurs currently calling themselves Democrats, he's so far left of them, he's almost over the horizon, despite actually only being a bit left of center maybe more than a little bit. *Everyone* is so far right now that "center" is to the left. Or at least according to what I've seen, which was on the internet, so to be taken with a grain of salt, but it definitely feels like Dems are close to where the GOP was, say, 30 years ago, and the GOP is starting to infringe upon Stalin's territory. Or whatever is over there at the farthest right. Kim Jung Il?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

meatpimp posted:

Things equal to zero:
Mods
Masters

I am so ready for the weekend to hit. I haven't touched the Lexus in two days after getting hung up on the alternator replacement done. I just need to play the best Tetris game of my life to get it removed from the chassis. All the other hard parts are done. I have told myself I was putting it off because I am waiting for a couple of rubber air hoses that are cracked and dry rotted. If I left them in place they have a 100% chance of sucking air. Once this is done I will pressurize the coolant system and see where my leak is coming from and then off road adventures!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Darchangel posted:

it definitely feels like Dems are close to where the GOP was, say, 30 years ago

It's true. Obamacare was to the right of what was proposed by Reagan in the 80's.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

meatpimp posted:

When the probation stats were posted in QCS a few months ago, AI wasn't even listed in them as there had been so few probations or bans in the last 12 months. Not because no mod but just.... wejust dont cause trouble.

We're getting old and more content to yell at kids from our driveways

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

LloydDobler posted:

It's true. Obamacare was to the right of what was proposed by Reagan in the 80's.

obamacare/mass health connector was basically a contract with america era AEI plan lmao

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

slidebite posted:

Speaking as a total outsider, they may or may not push out Bernie, but no way will zombie Hillary be back. Even they know that's a 100% guarantee of Trump Mk2. Hell, she has to know that too.

As common sense with a lot of things that Bernie is, legitimately or not, he freaks a lot of people out.

Pushing Sanders out also pretty much guarantees a loss in the general at this point. Other than Warren, none of the other candidates even moves the needle with anyone but white dudes over 40. Warren, on the other hand, just seems to have decided to own-goal herself out of support.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

My next long term build is gonna be a threadripper. just goddamn at the specs.

Hey on a similar subject, I need to decide on what to build out as a replacement for my FreeNAS box that survived the house fire but is probably on borrowed time due to soot etc. corroding traces.

It’s a dual Xeon E5-2670 (8 cores/16 threads each, 16/32 total I think?) with 64GB ECC RAM and 6x6TB HGSTs in a ZFS zraid2 config. It runs some jails/VMs (Plex etc) and I also built it out with enough horsepower to be an NVR.

With all that said IDK what to replace it with that supports ECC, has more or less as much or more processing power, and preferably at a lower TDP. I already bought another bigass tower case and some Noctua fans but that’s as far as I have gotten.

Also

Krakkles posted:

I mean, he's posted far more recently than and more often than the current mod, so I'm not sure that's a real argument against :q:

Ken knows I love him but argumentative autism is not what you want in a mod

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The man in the dinosaur onesie deserves more respect

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I just did a wheel bearing in an Altima, I feel dirty and used but I really needed the money and her kid had to get to the track meet in the morning. Not a unit so I did some pressin and pushin and lotsa swearing. gently caress non unit bearings

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Tremek , why ecc ram? I don’t think it would be strictly necessary for a home system use... but you do you.

For what it’s worth, all ryzen processors support ecc. Just make sure the board handles it appropriately.

If you want a budget build, 3950x probably would get you there. Tr3960x is a decent jump in cost, but if you want pcie lanes, it’s probably the way to go.

If you want ecc on intel, you’re back into xeon, which I don’t keep up on.

Each manufacturers definition of tdp is different too, so be wary there. GN did a good explanation of how it can be a worthless metric.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

ECC is recommended when using ZFS. You don't actually need to but if you care enough to bother with ZFS you might as well go all the way with data integrity.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Tremek , why ecc ram? I don’t think it would be strictly necessary for a home system use... but you do you.
Xeons only run on ECC RAM.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I never built a zfs system, so makes sense I guess. Last something new everyday.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tremek posted:

Hey on a similar subject, I need to decide on what to build out as a replacement for my FreeNAS box that survived the house fire but is probably on borrowed time due to soot etc. corroding traces.

It’s a dual Xeon E5-2670 (8 cores/16 threads each, 16/32 total I think?) with 64GB ECC RAM and 6x6TB HGSTs in a ZFS zraid2 config. It runs some jails/VMs (Plex etc) and I also built it out with enough horsepower to be an NVR.

With all that said IDK what to replace it with that supports ECC, has more or less as much or more processing power, and preferably at a lower TDP. I already bought another bigass tower case and some Noctua fans but that’s as far as I have gotten.

This guy has already sold one server, and he's still digging through everything he managed to get. Might watch that thread?

And if you don't trust those drives anymore, I'll be up for buying one or two of them once you've migrated to a new setup. I know they're on borrowed time, but my movie collection is kinda out of control. None of it would be difficult to replace if a drive died. I mean, two of my drives are 10+ year old HGSTs...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone know much about the Jeep 2.0 4cyl Turbo motor? I know it's basically a Fiat motor (Multiair?) made in Italy, it's only been available in the Wrangler for two years now and everyone in the Jeep forums seem to love it but I'm not sold on it's reliability short term or long term. Going to be test driving a new Wrangler with a V6 and the turbo 4.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Anyone know much about the Jeep 2.0 4cyl Turbo motor? I know it's basically a Fiat motor (Multiair?) made in Italy, it's only been available in the Wrangler for two years now and everyone in the Jeep forums seem to love it but I'm not sold on it's reliability short term or long term. Going to be test driving a new Wrangler with a V6 and the turbo 4.

The Multiairs have generally been pretty solid engines. The 2.0L isn't as smooth as the 1.4L, but they've been quite reliable as a family. I can't say how it would compare to a V6, but I wouldn't let the engine itself scare you off.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

The Multiairs have generally been pretty solid engines. The 2.0L isn't as smooth as the 1.4L, but they've been quite reliable as a family. I can't say how it would compare to a V6, but I wouldn't let the engine itself scare you off.

From what I've read so far Wrangler owners love it, especially for the driveability on the street. I was more worried about the hybrid part of it (E-torque) but Jeep discontinued it for the 2020 year which is nice, and apparently there's barely any noticeable difference in performance so that's good. I'd rather not have the complexity of a cooled (expensive) battery system that seemed to be the only issue so far. There were reports of the cooling system leaking onto electric components which is not good and replacements are not cheap.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The closest I've heard to a complaint about them is that with the mild hybrid setup they have, the aftermarket has been slow to come up with skid plates and whatnot to protect the dangly bits. Since I'm pretty sure your use case doesn't involve rock crawling I'd say you're fine.

nonedit: Also I didn't know they already abandoned said mild hybrid.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Jeep owners are praising a turbocharged Italian motor, I’m not sure I understand the world anymore.

Happy to hear it though, since buying the ND Miata I’ve been a bit horny for the 124.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

Jeep owners are praising a turbocharged Italian motor, I’m not sure I understand the world anymore.

Lol yeah that confused me at first too, when i started to look into it I expected lots of problems but people love it, the only people that were talking poo poo about it were the V6 owners of course, saying that the motor is too complex, we don't need turbos yadda yadda. Then it was pointed out that the Pentastar V6 isn't the pinnacle of reliability either with lots of previous V6 owners having issues....Casting sand in the cooling system being a big issue and other poo poo with those. So yeah, the turbo 4 is actually looking like a good option for a mainly street driven Wrangler.

[e] although direct injection with no port injection for keeping things clean is a bit of a concern, but apparently there are already aftermarket catch cans available to alleviate the build up so that's good.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 8, 2020

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Most of the beef I've heard (and had) was with the transmission. I had a Cherokee a few weeks ago and they still don't have the shifting sorted out after all these years. The 2.0 felt great when the transmission was in the right gear, which was seemingly almost never.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

Most of the beef I've heard (and had) was with the transmission. I had a Cherokee a few weeks ago and they still don't have the shifting sorted out after all these years. The 2.0 felt great when the transmission was in the right gear, which was seemingly almost never.

Did the Cherokee you had have the 8 speed trans? That's what the Wrangler has and I haven't read any complaints, it's just the opposite, even savagegeese's review was very positive regarding the 8 speed transmission. It seems like people don't like the manual much either, something about the clutch being lovely.

Guess i'll find out once i drive it, there's nothing I hate worse than an automatic trans constantly hunting around. I love the four speed auto in my Scion, it's simple and stays in the right gears.....I feel like the more gears that are put in autos the worse they get but I'll find out here soon I guess.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Just checked out the Jeep configurator. They got a 3.0 diesel option now. Had no idea. Stuffed you with an automatic for any configuration other than Pentastar though.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

currently building out a x230 with an i7(3520m). gonna FHD it and use it for software/embedded projects. (16gb, slice battery + 9 cell with more than 20 hours battery life, ME firmware deleted, corebooted, EmbeddedController whitelist gone)

Awaitwhat?

Please tell more.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

Just checked out the Jeep configurator. They got a 3.0 diesel option now. Had no idea. Stuffed you with an automatic for any configuration other than Pentastar though.

Yeah that seemed to be a big gripe, especially from the hardcore off roaders. The diesel is quite a big price hike as well, but probably worth it for off roading.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My build from December is a 9900K and carried over my 1080ti from when my 6700k mobo died. Chews through anything I throw at it. Wife is still running my multi year old hand me down of a 2500k and 780GTX which I just upgraded trouble free to Windows 10. Runs just fine and still has tons of life for what she uses it for.

Hell, my old laptop is an i7-5700HQ and 970M which is still great. It's amazing how much life you can get out of hardware now compared to 10 years ago.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Did the Cherokee you had have the 8 speed trans? That's what the Wrangler has and I haven't read any complaints, it's just the opposite, even savagegeese's review was very positive regarding the 8 speed transmission. It seems like people don't like the manual much either, something about the clutch being lovely.

Guess i'll find out once i drive it, there's nothing I hate worse than an automatic trans constantly hunting around. I love the four speed auto in my Scion, it's simple and stays in the right gears.....I feel like the more gears that are put in autos the worse they get but I'll find out here soon I guess.

I didn't realize the Wrangler had an 8-speed. The Cherokee has a 9-speed.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

shy boy from chess club posted:

I just did a wheel bearing in an Altima, I feel dirty and used but I really needed the money and her kid had to get to the track meet in the morning. Not a unit so I did some pressin and pushin and lotsa swearing. gently caress non unit bearings

Ok I gotta bitch again, sorry for being so close to my previous bitch. I planned on taking this car in yesterday and working on it today. I finished up some work on my 03 OB and pulled the Altima in to do a preliminary look at what the job was going to be like. This was about 5pm and right around the same time I get a text from the owner asking if it would be ready for 9am to go to the track meet. I said no probably Sat afternoon. There was a miscommunication about her wanting it done on Friday, I was annoyed but I felt bad and did the right thing and busted my rear end to get it done last night. It also needed the valve cover gasket done but at least she could go to the meet and I could do the cover when she got back. Well I texted her this morning to have her just let me know when she would be back so I could do the cover. She says "oh its still there my kid got a ride so I wont need it until later so you can do the cover now". I was loving PISSED, I said Im really not happy that I busted my rear end last night to get this done when I could have done it this morning like I had planned. I worked fast, left a mess in the shop and felt like I ran a marathon last night when I tried to get out of bed this morning. I wish she had at least took the car so it would have felt like busting my rear end was appreciated. You just dont do that, what the gently caress.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

drat confusing HID color temps. :argh:

Figured the stock bulbs were 5k. Got a set of Osram Xenarcs in that color. Turns out the originals were 4300k. Well, started life there. One was purple and dim. Both wound up being german-made Phillips bulbs. This is a bit more blue than I wanted, but Osram and Phillips bulbs are expensive enough that I'll just live with it. They're both equally bright and the same color now, and I'll keep the non-color shifted bulb as an emergency spare. No mfg date that I can see, but one looks like it's been replaced (the non-dim one has writing on both sides of the base, the dim one has writing only on one side.. same part numbers tho).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

Mitt Romney is going to vote or impeachment. Holy poo poo. Could this be enough to sway others?
:lol: that's so adorably optimistic. I didn't think he would even vote for it.

shy boy from chess club posted:

So speaking of assholes check out this beauty of a response I got from the eBay seller I got my lovely steering rack from

All he had to say was sorry dude or just nothing
what a dickbag. Negative review his rear end

Darchangel posted:

edit: Hey, why's Ken's house thread closed? It ain't done yet.
Because

Galler posted:

It might just be closed until the next update since it went off topic a week ago and didn't stop
(And I try not to be a dick to my readers, so I figured just closing it and reopening when I have something to say other than "shut the gently caress up" was the nice way to go about that)

Krakkles posted:

absolutely not. I might have said maybe in like, 2014 or 2015 or whenever the ai mod subject last came up, but I just plain don't have the time now, at all. I've got threads I'm subscribed to that have 5 figures worth of unread posts. I don't even have time to read 95% of the threads I used to read daily, and barely have time to post in the ones that are at the top of my list importance wise. This might be like the second chat thread I've jumped into in the last year.

Also

Tremek posted:

Ken knows I love him but argumentative autism is not what you want in a mod
100% factual. Wes is chill and easy going, I am... Not.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

kastein posted:

I just plain don't have the time now, at all. I've got threads I'm subscribed to that have 5 figures worth of unread posts. I don't even have time to read 95% of the threads I used to read daily, and barely have time to post in the ones that are at the top of my list importance wise.

Feel ya. Starting to have more time again now.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
<rant> Why the gently caress do we use aspect ratio in tire sizes? How much easier would it loving be on everyone to just have width/sidewall-measurement-in-mm/rim-size instead of the current bullshit width/loving-PERCENTAGE-OF-WIDTH/rim-size?

e: lol avatar. Honestly I'm surprised I go as long between red text avatar changes as I do.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

It’s like why is the imperial system still in use? It makes just about as much sense!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

And yet some tires are measured in that sane way, where it's just diameter x width x rim diameter, all in inches. Instead most of us get tires with width in mm, height as a percentage, and rim diameter in inches. loving nonsense.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

bolind posted:

Awaitwhat?

Please tell more.

long story short.
nitrocaster makes a fhd conversion board that pulls dp4 off the dock. you can use that with either a 12.5 or 13.3 display. (i'm gonna go 13.3)
It works ish outta the box. Patch the kernel or poke through this branch of coreboot.
20+ hours needs a 9 cell + slice45
Grab and flash thinkpad-ec to delete the battery whitelist to use aftermarket or x220 batteries. at the same time time you can flash the firmware for the 7 row keyboard. it works with a little hardware mod.
you'll need to procure a serial flasher for lobotomizing the ME and flashing coreboot. (this removes the hardware whitelist) go [url=https://www.stefanolaguardia.eu/2019/06/08/howto-install-coreboot-and-disable-intel-me-on-lenovo-thinkpad-x230/] here [/url
btw LS M676 leds can change the white thinklight to red. It's rad for night photog. (they're tiny, but if you've made it this far you got this)
If you want more details, pm me.

That's bullshit. Definitely worth reminding them of this next time they come to you with an emergency.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Well looks like I have a problem brewing!

At least it isn't one of the media drives - I had a failure of one last month but managed to migrate data off onto a new drive. I was also stupid then and didn't mirror stuff.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Hey so you know for two months I was worried about fires and poo poo?

Thurs 88mm, Fri 71mm, Sat 156mm, Sun 179mm (so far)

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You sure it wasn't kids eating corn out the second floor window?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

One of my best mates just moved from NZ to Sydney.

First couple of messages:

"Aussie internet sucks" (no kidding)

"Why are we getting 500mm of rain"

then

"What bike should I buy?"

I told him to come here and ask for you.