Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

They're pieces of poo poo, and they release moisture despite their "ventless" claims, which can lead to mold problems, especially in an unheated space like a garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Romeo got adopted! I put an add out on Craigslist and had a caveat that you have to send pics of your pets to be considered for adoption (to avoid weirdos that pick up free kitties and sell/abuse them) got a weird couple who have three rescue puppies, and a rescue cat that misses its friend who just passed away, so they came and picked him up today!

He's taken to sleeping in a little cat bed, and will let himself be picked up, handled and pet in it, so getting him in a carrier was easy. The lady of the couple was grinning ear-to-ear she was so happy to have another kitty, I'm pretty sure he's gonna have a great rest of his life, since all he really shows interest in is melting into a puddle when you scratch his cheeks.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

Holy gently caress is this dude even REAL?!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1225174713992990721?s=20

Maybe I'm reading this the wrong way but uh it really looks like he's saying he wants to run for more than two?! Or am I missing some in-joke due to ignorance?

He's joked about doing more than two terms in a bunch of stump speeches.

God I hope Bernie or whoever just walks his stupid fat loving rear end in the general, maybe with that and if there's a blue majority in the Senate again we can make some loving progress in this country again.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

You can't be for fuckin' real right now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Update to my post from yesterday, Romeo is now named Juliet, because she's a girl, and she's already socializing with the other cat in the house!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yo STR, is your GF's name Karen? Too bad you don't have a manager.

My first real car's OEM battery lasted 9 years (Motocraft in a V6 Mustang) and it would've held on another year if the brake light switch hadn't failed and left the brake lights on while parked, eventually setting the switch on fire, during a desperate drive home from California when an extra stop meant failure and being stranded.

Since then I have murdered many batteries, and never found such life again.

E: I am so loving lucky my GF doesn't blame me for the brake failure I caused by not torquing her caliper bolts properly, and she is totally cool with me doing her brakes again, now that her rear pads are wearing down.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 6, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Lol, have any of you guys dealt with the "Lifetime Air Filter" a non-replaceable item on the mid aughts Focus?

I also love that Ford managed to make the 4 cylinder Ranger's engine bay cramped as poo poo with a tiny engine in a famn truck, there's like 6ft of air intake piping.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, you can hold two ideas in your mind at the same time.

I was pretty poor in my early 20's, got off to a good start as a licensed electrician, 2008 ranked that job, got evicted, couldn't pay for gas to get to work etc. Thank god I still had my parents, so it wasn't like I was homeless (a huge privilege) so I slammed down on America's only real social panic button and joined the military, because I grew up in a city with world-class primary education, I got a job there that was both safe, and paid twice what slightly less demanding jobs paid, and has excellent job prospects in the civilian world. I was able to fight off crippling depression and alcoholism, they even helped me succeed in my career in numerous ways. After my experiences earlier I'm obsessively frugal, and now I have a credit score in the 800's, a house (well, a mortgage on one) and for the first time in my life bought a couple vehicles worth more than $2,000.

That being said, I never forget that any one of those rungs on that ladder of dubious luck I ran up could've broken, I could've gotten ill, I could've dropped out of High School, had a kid young, my dad could've died a few years sooner, he could've been a piece of poo poo like the rest of his family. I just started volunteering my time building low-income houses to try and give back a little of my good luck.

So, the TL;DR takeaways are:

A) With hard work, and some luck, good things can happen to you.

B) The current social safety net in this country is hosed, the way things should be is if everything goes wrong, you're ill, a single parent, and just lost your job, is you move into a safe, warm apartment, and you have to live frugally off the monthly check and food stamp card mailed to you each month, while you get back on your feet.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

AA, weren't you super concerned about crash safety in your car purchases just recently? Because IROCs are awesome, but their not great in crashes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

No 80s shitmissle is. Part of the charm is potential paralysis.

At somepoint you gotta accept being taken out by someont texting in a murano convertible.

I'm aware, rode a bike cross-country, but I'm catching up on the "new car news thread and AA's preferences post-accident.

STR: good job on the move-out from the unhappy relationship! Keep moving forward my man!

E: to match yours. Can't compare an apartment to a house, if it works and you don't own it, it doesn't fuckin' matter.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

STR posted:

TBH the apartment we have is really drat nice for what I was paying. Relatively modern, garage, W/D included, fire sprinklers and central fire alarm, microwave included, fantastic office staff and maintenance, great neighbors, etc etc etc - pretty much the perfect apartment complex. The house will be a major step down as far as "nice", and I already know the neighbor on one side is a shithead. But it's not-here, and doesn't cost much more than the apartment.

Eh, I bet it all works out to be even in the end, even minus the benefit of not being in a lovely relationship.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

12k sounds like a lot for that car, there's one 20 miles from me for 9, no T-top though, which is a shame.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

My GF and I celebrate the anniversary of our first date on Valentine's, because it'd be two romantic occasions too close together otherwise.

This year I'm getting her myself getting flown out on a work trip today. :smith:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I just had literally the best Tacos of my life, Shortrib mole, Korean, and asada and shrimp, now I'm sitting in my hotel listening to waves break on the rocks and drinking crappy whiskey and good beer, GF is bombarding me with kitty pics.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I have it on good authority from the man that invaded my group at the bar on a work trip that Covid-19 is a bioweapon, designed and unleashed by the government.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

NoWake posted:

I had a guy interested in buying some wheels off me. Catch is I'm in Chicago and he's in Rochester, and it would have cost $160+ to ship them out. I've actually got a buddy in Rochester I've been meaning to catch up with the last couple years, this would be a good excuse to head out there. I budgeted that out and saw gas+tolls would cost me like $200, and 24 hours drive time sounded miserable to cram into one weekend.

Looking elsewhere ... saw that Amtrak allows up to 4 checked "bags" that fit within size limits and less than 50lbs/ea. First two are free, second two are $20/ea. They specifically disallow "automotive parts" and "wheels and tires", but I'd think more because they don't want to handle random body panels, oily used CV shafts, or dirty mud-terrains loose in their baggage cars. I talked to the baggage attendant in Chicago and she advised boxing them up... "don't give us a reason to check them and likely we won't."

So, I boarded the train after checking these in:

and carrying the 3rd along with me (fourth was been sold off as of last year, 3rd is actually bent up beyond repair, and why I'm selling individually)

Ticket between Chicago and Rochester was $120 round trip, about $40 less than shipping one-way. Only catch is you've got to travel with your "shipment", or maybe air-mail your baggage claim ticket to the person picking them up. If you're an insane person (like me) and/or you have a good reason to go that way anyway, it's a pretty good deal!

tl,dr; found a nice hack to both ship wheels cheaply & have the buyer fund a little weekend vacation

If you want to ship big heavy poo poo for as cheap as possible, while incurring massive personal hassle, there's Greyhound Freight, they have a size limit, but if you don't mind your poo poo taking 4 weeks to get somewhere because it's space-a prices can't be beat.

I shipped a 1989 Plumouth Colt rear hatch, in Teal, from NY to CA, by building an exoskeleton of 1x2s and sheathing them with cardboard.

Driving an hour to the Albany Greyhound station and lugging that poo poo through the nastiest part of town was the worst part.

They do not inspire confidence that your package will be cared for, tracked in any way, or not, in fact, yeeted into the nearest dumpster as soon as you've paid.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

You Am I posted:

I have heard of this "Agenda 21" conspiracy bullshit about depopulation from some boomers on Facebook. They were also the same people who thought the bushfires in Australia were started by the government so it allowed the government to build a fast rail route through the burnt areas.

It was kinda fun because I've never gotten to watch a conspiracy theory develop from the inside, the dude kept referencing PANDEMIC PLAN 3551-13 which he cited as proof that the US Gov't knew about the virus, and therefore was behind it, and that it had a higher mortality rate than the Bubonic Plague etc.

Of course 3551-13 is publicly available, and basically says "yo, keep an eye out for your units getting infected, tell us about it, and be prepared to respond if poo poo gets out of hand." But they named it loving "PANDEMIC PLAN *SCARY NUMBER SEQUENCE*" and it's written in basically incomprehensible governmentese, so of course all the normal whackadoodle people are going to get spun up about it.

Like, do they not think the US doesn't already have absolutely disastrous bioweapons available? We have MF'g smallpox on tap.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'd lay a thin board right in the valley and screw the extrusions to that.

I have to fly to Dallas (well, just north of Dallas) for work in late March, I think a lot of you are/were from there, what should I do while I'm there? It'll be 5 days over the week, I'll be working during the day.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Thanks man! I'll specifically be in Carrollton, fwiw.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, go PEX, it's easy, cheap, and it doesn't have the same problems going brittle PVC does.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You can still very easily sue him for the difference of the value of what was lost, beyond the "actual cash value."

His insurance company *should* do this for him.

meatpimp posted:

Still on the horizon, but my damages just got a lot smaller and harder to prove. The new awesome guy cost, in total, WITH me figuring in a 20% tip, is still LESS than the 50% outstanding on the original contract. So, in essence, I ended up better for the rear end in a top hat breaching the contract. I just need to figure out a way to spin.

I was an electrician for several years, working in the trades, getting a tip from anyone is an amazing gift in and of itself, I guarantee he will be very happy.

If you want to send him something on top of it, bring up what he likes to drink in conversation, most people who drink like to talk about beer/whiskey/whatever, but it's good to bring up 'cause some people are recovering from addiction and might like a nice dinner for them and their spouse instead!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

I'm considering this when we get to Washington too, because there's no good internet in our area and I think I can fix that. If I can hold down 120-150 customers I can never have a job or drive over the Tacoma narrows bridge again. I'm pretty sure I can pick that many customers up basically as fast as I can get their equipment installed, as long as I do a good job on the first few. I'm already in a few of the local Facebook groups with 7k+ people in them and "the internet sucks so bad out here" is like the fourth highest topic, behind crime, "whose chickens are in my front yard", and traffic.

If you are offering ISP services on the Kitsap peninsula, I'd be interested.

And I know who's chickens are in my front yard.

They're mine.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

Key peninsula is first if I do this, but I'll keep it in mind! Everyone hates hughesnet and the other lovely offerings out in the boonies, so we'll see. I'm half hoping that starlink kills the idea so I don't have to do it, but half hoping it's my problem to solve/opportunity to take.

E: I'll actually be there Sunday through Tuesday, and might be going and buying a Comanche on Bainbridge island for a friend in Pennsylvania and driving it home. We'll see.

Oh man, I went hiking down at Penrose point this week, and man the Key Penninsula is pretty, and isolated.

Let me know if you need anything, tools, labor or a beer, I'm just up the road in Port Orchard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

No Mods, No OPs, No Masters amirite?