Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

In my efforts to find the perfect truck shaped car, I keep coming back to the conflict in philosophies with regards to money.

On one hand, I'm leaning toward the Suzuki Carry or Mighty Boy. I know from experience that it's not ideal to have a car with parts that only come from across an ocean, but with the price of pre-97, manual transmission, quality trucks, I could just buy the trucks I dream about instead

On the other, perhaps more reasonable, hand I could spend $800 and get a piece of garbage, use it up, and just buy more $800 piles of rust and Bondo pretending to be trucks when they die. Selling them for whatever price is better than scrap prices

I just got spark plugs and a ignition rotor for $7 total for my 84 acty and there is nothing stopping me from driving it on the highway but it’s slow. Just get a kei truck. An old mighty boy isn’t a very reasonable alternative but hey go for it. Carry parts should be very easy to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hey Kaker or Dave - I need some OEM keyblanks for a 1992 Miata which seem exceedingly hard to find in the states, any idea if these are something you can get through your importing connections? The one original I got with the car has a crack in it and isn't safe to keep using.

The later keys from the 93-97 era are shaped differently and all I seem able to find on ebay (so far).

Have you been to/have access to a small hardware store in your area that does keys (not lowe's or anything). I do and have no problems getting keys made for early 80's and 90's Japanese imports. I bet somewhere like that would have something that works. I have never owned a Mazda until a fire truck I bought recently and it won't be here til march or April so I haven't had to go see if they have key blanks for it.

The source for parts like that would be yahoo auctions in Japan...

but googling it looks like this place has them for $16 but I would be surprised if my little hardware store didn't have them for $2

https://mossmiata.com/key-blank

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hey do all/most car batteries have a place to hook up a vent tube to? Replacing a trunk battery in one of my Skylines and when taking it out it has a vent tube attached to old one.

Also holy crap walmart batteries are so cheap compared to my go to Advance, even with 25% advance coupon

Edit: also i have one skyline that needs new trunk struts, but i see no way to replace these or how to take them off at the top. will use the awful app to post a pic

everdave fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 3, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yeah I need a battery for the trunk for the Skyline.

No I don't have the new struts was going to replace but if it is a pain in the rear end won't car should sell soon. They hold up just don't stay after a few minutes. Youtube seems to show people cutting the old one off and drilling a hole in the connection and attaching it with a nut. Might be a moot point if the guy interested follows through on this one about the strut and battery too, he already knew the battery was weak may just leave the old one in.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

STR posted:

Lots of GMs have batteries either in the trunk or in the cabin floor (thus, they have vent tubes). Look up batteries for a Chevy Cobalt, Saturn Ion, or Chevy Trailblazer. The Ion used 2 different ones depending on year (03-05 used a different one from 06-07), not sure about the others, but the Ion used a shorter/wider one than the Cobalt.

I think my Ion had a group 72? Earlier ones got a 75? Cobalts used a... 93? Those are normally side post batteries, but some of them have both side and top terminals. Even if they don't, there's side to top adapters.

Make sure you go with one with the vent tube provision, you don't want hydrogen building up in the car.

cool, walmart doesn't list if one has a vent tube or not but i googled some everstart ones and know what one will look like, just need the cheapest one, the battery it is replacing was tiny with like 330 CCA

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

STR posted:

Yup, a nipple on each side that almost looks like a large USB C plug.

You could go with an AGM battery and eliminate the need for vent tubes, but personally I'd at least keep the vents in place even if you do go with a gel.

All the ones with vents were $100 more than without at Wally World! I got a deposit for that skyline tonight and he knows it needs a new battery so probably won’t get one and new owner can deal with it. He knows up fro t this needs a battery I was just going to get one uf he didn’t follow through.

Also after having kids for 10 days I thought I was going to have a few nights off and was going to fix my washer tonight, nope ex wife calls and says they cut her power off so I went and got the filthy and exhausted kids from her place.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Here they will cut you off if you are a few weeks late according to the billing statement but I don’t know has never happened to me. This poo poo happens on the regular to my ex.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Miatas also had a trunk mounted, thus vented, battery, but they're tiny. Or were on the first-gens, at least. I've not seen the later ones.

For some reason the walmart website doesn't list miata as a choice when plugging it in. I went to the store last night but knew better to ask the clueless desk person in the auto department. Plenty of oversized batteries for 49.88 but not vented. The only vented ones were huge and $120-160. The battery it would be replacing is tiny and only 330 cca. But that car is apparently sold now I have a deposit so...I was tempted to pick up a $22 lawn and garden battery with 275 CCA just to see how it worked and to keep as a backup. I may just for the hell of it at some point (yes I know it is not vented either)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If my ex-wife doesn't find some new excuse or not pay some bill I will be home alone tonight, so I am going to attempt babby's first washing machine repair.

I have an ancient Maytag that is leaking from the bottom, I have assembled the parts and have the special wrench and all that good stuff. Anyone have a favorite youtube repair vid or tips for me?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

bandman posted:

Good luck getting a tub seal replacement to last. It’s so labor intensive, most laundromat owners won’t bother repairing if the tub seal goes out. They’ll buy a rebuilt or new machine to replace.

Well my POS ex is dropping the kids off again says her power is still off so who knows when I’ll ever get the chance to work on it anyways

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My oven stopped heating inside months ago (range top worked fine), been using a toaster oven for things since as I wanted to fix this one. Internet sleuthing made me know it was something in the control board. Was going to order a new one but they were up to $150. Took the old out, ran by my friends shop who repairs guitar amps and stuff, he couldn't really see anything but we both saw one bad spot, he soldered it and we tried and IT IS FIXED! Just a ground went bad.

May try to tackle my washer repair tonight if the kids aren't unexpectedly brought over again.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Oven repaired, washer repaired, got another one of my imports sold and shipped...all batteries charged in vehicles at home and preparing the next one to go up for sale. I took full advantage of our one day of sun before the expected 4-6 inches we are supposed to get in the next 60 hours.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I don't drive much anymore so that's not a big deal.

Going to test drive it tomorrow, lol. The kid in me says YES YES YES but the adult in me says Not Practical :colbert:

Would be cool to have something to take to car meets tho, you don't see many IROCs anymore.

[e] cool story, I almost lost my license racing a Mustang in my dad's IROC once :v:

I am the last person on earth to tell you to reconsider (hell I currently own 4 fire trucks) but having recently driver an IROC and a 5.0 which were absolutely my dream cars in the 90's they are definitely, lets say primitive. As long as you don't mind that....I would check the market and BAT a white one recently sold there but I didn't follow the auction. I don't see them going down more in value though so worst case if you get a good deal on it you can sell it on in the future...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I will spend my Valentine's night bidding on cars in Japan...the way it should be

My ex wife called me at 7:30 this morning uhh the key won't go all the way in the Prius (that she still hasn't gotten out of my name) should i pour water on it. IT WAS 22 DEGREES HERE THIS MORNING. yes pour water on it dipshit. BC she can't be bothered to even go replace the battery in the fob.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I clicked on the carvana sell your car Ad on FB and jumped through the hoops and they are offering me 12.6 for my 18 Hyundai I paid 14 + taxes and reg on 26 mo the ago (sticker price was 23k). I’m kind of thinking just have them come pick it up? I have a literal fleet of RHD imports to choose from and they are offering 40k$ Tacoma 4x4 $200/mo leases as well...

Is this dumb?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

No, get rid of it and drive a goddamn Skyline.

Well I was actually thinking that too, I have a mint Celsior V8 if I need a normal car and two Skylines (I just sold the third I had). I think I’m going to have them come pick up the Hyundai and give me a check of it all works out.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Do it! For science!

Or DD a firetruck.

Well if carvana follows through I think I will. The fire truck I sold on BAT (that I still have but it’s been paid for) would have made a great DD, gas, 2wd and 5 speed. 4 doors and very nice to drive plenty of power.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

See what Carmax will offer as well. When we sold the Tacoma carmax offered a couple hundred more then on top of that gave use another $500 if we put that towards buying something from them.

Does carmax pick up? Closest one is Nashville. I’ll check out the website have a sick kid won’t be going anywhere today.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yeah car max doesn’t, like I said I have a sick kid so I pulled the Hyundai up in the yard and took the Thule racks off. If carvana gets back to me and confirms just going to have them come get it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
For example in Japan the GM sells maybe 1-200 cars a year? The only American anything that does well there is the Jeep Wrangler.

I just think these multi multi billion corporations are idiots when it comes to a lot of things

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Well, have to tell you Carvana is legit. Came and got the car a little less than 48 hours after I submitted it and gave me a check. I am now 100% RHD mad tyte JDM household

Only registered members can see post attachments!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

Carvana says they’ll give me $32,617 for my 2012 GT500 which is pretty reasonable tbh.

I am by no means a carvana shill never have used them, didn't buy anything but I am actually pretty shocked that it worked the way it did. I had a crack in the rear bumper side from a year ago and they didn't care. It seems too easy...but they came and literally drove the car one mile (he said he had to see the odometer tick over to make sure it was working) and gave me a check, I signed about 6 papers and he took the car.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Just checked my car, $200. Drive it until it can go no more it is!

The negative comments on their ads seemed to be for that, I think they just offer a blanket $200 for cars they don't want to sell. Hell I'll give you $200 for any running and driving car ha.

I am just surprised this all worked out. It just seems kind of bizarre ha

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

nm posted:

Carvana is all VC money. Get it while you can.

Yeah this just seems too good to last

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
On a scale of 1-10 how bad of an idea would a 99 911 Cabriolet with a clean title but carfax shows salvage history, tiptronic trans, 50k miles and "the top doesn't fit good" if I could get it for 8 cash? They are asking more.

Run far away or run to the bank? You tell me.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Think of how many firetrucks you could buy for that.

Indeed! And some internet sleuthing shows he owns a vintage car dealership here in town, if he is trying to unload on FB marketplace for $10k I am staying far away

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I dunno everdave and I have more eclectic tastes. I freakin' love the 70 series Land Cruisers and those get maddd respect from everyone from Land Cruiser guys to diesel guys to people that just appreciate older Toyotas. But the fire trucks or ultra-80s Corollas and Soarers are just neat to see, then the MR2 and Skylines are JDM tyte. Weird-rear end Domingos and bucket trucks, that's cool poo poo. You cover all bases!

You're the guy that bulk-buys kei bucket trucks, this doesn't even register on the 'heh wouldn't this be funny guys'. I know you just Carvana'd yourself a pocket of cash but if you must buy a car just get the already mentioned 6 fire trucks. I don't understand the grade scale you propose either but uhh, 10 as in its the worst idea. We're supposed to be JDM household bros :(

You are right, I just saw 911 and low price and the gears were turning if maybe there was potential for some quick profit...forgive me father for I have sinned!

And yeah the fire trucks and bucket kei's and weird micro cars are way more interesting to me than the JDM bro's on youtube...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Let the oldest pick which one to take to basketball tonight.

everdave fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 20, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I know some have had LS400's - my Toyota Celsior just got an AC recharge yesterday, working great. But the buttons on the climate panel that have a little window to turn green when activated don't light up. Apparently this is pretty common. I have a new set of bulbs coming from eBay for super cheap but before I do that is there a known fuse or anything that controls just that? A lot of my fuse listings besides the main relays are in Japanese...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

STR posted:

No. They're generally piggybacked off of the blower or AC compressor fuse.

Word, well I have a cheap 20 pack of bulbs coming should be here tomorrow ($8), the buttons beep and all work just trying to make this car perfect (it is in every other way) before listing it for sale.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
re: Daisy Dukes

I live in TN and everyone rich to poor still calls them daisy dukes. Of course I just took this pic in front of a sign for an upcoming event in my town so draw your own conclusions.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Disrespectful showing off.

Oh, didn’t even realize my current daily was in the shot. That old thing

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
So I “fixed” my leaking washer, replaced bottom seal and bearing. Have washed 6-7 times no leaks all good. Amazon had 20% off warehouse deals and I got a pan for underneath for $17 in case it ever happened again. First wash with pan underneath it leaked. Why didn’t I just buy a new washer I was flying high after fixing the oven, but I flew too close to the sun

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

slothrop posted:

:kimchi:

I'm sure there was an AW11 paint scheme that was white with these colours as flourishes. I know I had a Matchbox car in that livery but I've never been able to find a photo of a real one.

This would be mine but the engine was knocking on inspection would have taken it anyways but just couldn’t

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

STR posted:

Washers are a PITA, and the one thing I absolutely refuse to touch on them is the tub seal (top loader).

If it's an old school Maytag, I won't touch the transmission either - they were overly complicated, but they do last forever. My parents have the very last of the pre-Whirlpool Maytags (~1996 Dependable Care set); the washer has needed a timer once, the dryer needed a new blower once. That's it in 23 years, still going strong. Those fuckers will probably outlive my parents. I figure the dryer will need bearings at some point and a belt, the washer will probably need another timer sometime around 2030.

It’s an old Maytag but I don’t know if pre 96. The tub seal was by the book and I did multiple washes with no leaks. Just shouldn’t have wasted my time and money

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

I have a 5HP 30-gallon air compressors - and I’ll still use the little Ryobi inflator so I don’t have to drag the air hose out. It takes a lot longer, but, eh. I may upgrade to the inflator that you can set the desired pressure and walk away - mine is the little guy that you have to hold the trigger on, but I got it for $15 at an outlet tool store.

I have a nice air compressor that I have used to build a fence and power air tools and fill the kids sports equipment but if I am filling up some tires I pull out some old Slime brand 12v compressor that has a flashlight on it and plug that bitch in. it weighs a pound the other weighs 40-50 I am not dragging that from the workshop to the driveway (workshop is way in the back of my yard)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Rough stuff Beach Bum. I am not prepared for the next decade as far as watching my parents age is concerned. Same for my in-laws. Being the youngest of 5, and my wife 5 of 6 it sucks that my kids will really more remember "old gramma and old grandpa" unlike my nieces and nephews that are in adulthood. Everyone is in good health, but with the youngest between my parents and my in-laws being 69 I just know that the landscape is going to be very different in a decade.

Is anyone here an entrepreneur/business owner? I have been evaluating my career outlook and I am beginning to see that my life plans as far as 1-2 year vision will mean that there is going to need to have some changes. My industry has been deflating and while it has been a great ride for...well my entire professional life I think that I need to plan for a different path. I am wondering if being a business owner/proprietor is in my future.

Man my mom is 67 and she drives me insane I have to start being nicer, she comes and stays with me a few days a week because we are in the midst of basketball season for the kids and she gets on my last nerve but her greatest fear is breaking her hip...so scary. I need her.

I have owned my own business for the past 8-10 years because I out educated myself for my profession I went to school for (don't be one semester away from your PhD and try to get a teaching job here). I have a ton of freedom but also everything is on me...luckily things just kind of work for me but I have gotten screwed on taxes and lots of things. Think long and hard before leaving the safety of a "real" job. My close friend who I have got into importing a few cars too left working for himself for a stable income for his family. Very hard to go from freedom to a rigid structure but he doesn't have to stay up at night worrying about work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
SOMEWHAT HEROIC:

before moving and going full tilt could you start small on the side and devote your nights and weekends to it (and every other minute of free time)? That’s what I did while substituting and taking leaves of absence positions u til my computer biz took off.