Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

On one hand, I'm leaning toward the Suzuki Carry or Mighty Boy. I know from experience that it's not ideal to have a car with parts that only come from across an ocean, but with the price of pre-97, manual transmission, quality trucks, I could just buy the trucks I dream about instead

On the other, perhaps more reasonable, hand I could spend $800 and get a piece of garbage, use it up, and just buy more $800 piles of rust and Bondo pretending to be trucks when they die. Selling them for whatever price is better than scrap prices

No way I would drive a Kei truck/car on public roads they are loving death traps. Yeah an old cheap F150 isn't the safest vehicle, but it's gonna have an airbag and not cripple you in a fender bender.

This is a kei truck vs Ford Ranger in a low speed crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX5HTFEID9M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone else see the Jeep/Groundhog Day commercial during the Superbowl?

Loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnhzGUcENWo

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

"It's just a game."

I lol'd.

And then it cuts to the ground hog looking at him like wtf....I was dying :v:

Whatever they paid Bill Murray to do that it was worth it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/men-jerks-break-traffic-laws-143600089.html

Waddup Jerks :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sometimes I feel bad for how i drove around japan when i lived there, especially on motorcycles I was a total rear end in a top hat when most of the Japanese motorists are so courteous :v:

But young and dumb, I was 19 then and couldn't afford a German car. I drive a Scion now, clearly NOT a jerk :smug:

shy boy from chess club posted:

Thanks for making my day Yahoo article

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

quote:

~~Who has been buying SUVs since automakers turned them into family vehicles? They tend to be people who are insecure and vain. They are frequently nervous about their marriages and uncomfortable about parenthood. They often lack confidence in their driving skills. Above all, they are apt to be self-centered and self-absorbed, with little interest in their neighbors or communities.~~

I have little interest in my neighbors because most of them are assholes and/or idiots :shrug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

History is not going to be kind to white male conservatives and this whole ~era~ of just absolute garbage, one way or another.
As a straight white male that lives in a wealthy conservative area I'm constantly looked at like everyone's brother, son, or grandson. The insane off the deep end poo poo people confide in me because I look like them is loving wild. I don't need talking points or NPR or chem trails to make up my mind. Spend some time with true brain worm away-from-reality dead to rights pieces of poo poo white men on a golf course and you too will go 'holy gently caress burn all this down and start over, please.' Those dudes are terrified of Bernie Sanders.

Just do what I do and be (or act) completely uninterested in any kind of political discussion, having no clue what they are talking about and eventually they just stop and you can get on with the golf game. If you give any kind if hint that you have an opinion on it they will ramble non stop. I'm apolitical so it's pretty easy for me :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah it's pretty hard to ignore the idiocy that is Trump but I try really hard. Not being on any form of social media helps a lot.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

The reason I got an Xbox(Xboxes, now) was to get off that upgrade-for-every-game treadmill. I still think I play better with a mouse and keyboard, but I've gotten to where the controllers are fine.

I never understood how people can prefer to game with a mouse and keyboard over a controller, it's way too awkward for me and I couldn't get used to it. And talk about carpal tunnel, Jesus.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone know much about the Jeep 2.0 4cyl Turbo motor? I know it's basically a Fiat motor (Multiair?) made in Italy, it's only been available in the Wrangler for two years now and everyone in the Jeep forums seem to love it but I'm not sold on it's reliability short term or long term. Going to be test driving a new Wrangler with a V6 and the turbo 4.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

The Multiairs have generally been pretty solid engines. The 2.0L isn't as smooth as the 1.4L, but they've been quite reliable as a family. I can't say how it would compare to a V6, but I wouldn't let the engine itself scare you off.

From what I've read so far Wrangler owners love it, especially for the driveability on the street. I was more worried about the hybrid part of it (E-torque) but Jeep discontinued it for the 2020 year which is nice, and apparently there's barely any noticeable difference in performance so that's good. I'd rather not have the complexity of a cooled (expensive) battery system that seemed to be the only issue so far. There were reports of the cooling system leaking onto electric components which is not good and replacements are not cheap.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

Jeep owners are praising a turbocharged Italian motor, I’m not sure I understand the world anymore.

Lol yeah that confused me at first too, when i started to look into it I expected lots of problems but people love it, the only people that were talking poo poo about it were the V6 owners of course, saying that the motor is too complex, we don't need turbos yadda yadda. Then it was pointed out that the Pentastar V6 isn't the pinnacle of reliability either with lots of previous V6 owners having issues....Casting sand in the cooling system being a big issue and other poo poo with those. So yeah, the turbo 4 is actually looking like a good option for a mainly street driven Wrangler.

[e] although direct injection with no port injection for keeping things clean is a bit of a concern, but apparently there are already aftermarket catch cans available to alleviate the build up so that's good.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 8, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

Most of the beef I've heard (and had) was with the transmission. I had a Cherokee a few weeks ago and they still don't have the shifting sorted out after all these years. The 2.0 felt great when the transmission was in the right gear, which was seemingly almost never.

Did the Cherokee you had have the 8 speed trans? That's what the Wrangler has and I haven't read any complaints, it's just the opposite, even savagegeese's review was very positive regarding the 8 speed transmission. It seems like people don't like the manual much either, something about the clutch being lovely.

Guess i'll find out once i drive it, there's nothing I hate worse than an automatic trans constantly hunting around. I love the four speed auto in my Scion, it's simple and stays in the right gears.....I feel like the more gears that are put in autos the worse they get but I'll find out here soon I guess.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

Just checked out the Jeep configurator. They got a 3.0 diesel option now. Had no idea. Stuffed you with an automatic for any configuration other than Pentastar though.

Yeah that seemed to be a big gripe, especially from the hardcore off roaders. The diesel is quite a big price hike as well, but probably worth it for off roading.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Went to the Jeep/Dodge dealership to test drive a Wrangler. My son went with me and wore his Kansas City Chiefs hat cuz he's a big fan and is all proud of them winning the Superbowl. As we're waiting for the guy to bring a Wrangler around for me to drive, another sales man says jokingly to my son that he should take off his hat because there's a member of the 49ers there test driving cars, and just as he says that the 49er pulls up in a Cherokee and looks at my son like what the gently caress :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T-Square posted:

I'm gonna pretend it was Bosa, gently caress that guy. Mahomes da best!

That would have been funny if it was Bosa, but it was actually Linebacker Azeez al-shaair, he grew up here but still what are the odds of that.

And yeah the reason my son loves the Chiefs is Mahomes, that guy is an incredible talent.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha that's awesome

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My whole train of thought here is really that there are most new cars flat aren't interesting to me anymore.

This is my whole issue right now, nothing new is worth the money to me right now. Test drove a new Wrangler the other day and was completely unimpressed for the 32k price tag. Would have been ok for a toy but for a DD no way, I thought the newer Wranglers would drive better but I guess there's only so much you can do with an ox cart :shrug:

Buddy of mine just got a brand new base Tacoma Pre Runner for 23k, and although I hate the way trucks ride it's the only thing I've sat in that seems worth the money under 25k if anything for the utility alone.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My wife "lucked" into her job. Her best friend worked for a sister company of a commercial roofing company that needed somebody part time to help with office poo poo. She had been a stay at home mom for almost 6 years up to that point. Once they realized her potential and education she quickly moved up, and is now getting ready to take over the controller position when he retires next year and will get a huge raise.

My last job doing resort security I got because of my brother, stayed there for 9 years. It's all who you know.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Um....Am I a dumbass for considering a 1987 IROC-Z as a daily driver?

Second owner, 5.7 fully loaded, T tops100k miles $12k

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Sounds fun to me, but 12k would buy a lot of things that are fun, fast-ish, and RWD.

Some quick googling suggests the price isn't totally out of line - maybe, depending on how good condition it's in - but unless you're particularly drawn to IROCs, I don't think it's the first thing I'd spend 12k on.

My dad had a 1988 5.7 IROC and I drove it all the time. I loved that car so it’s a nostalgic thing I guess. If it drives like the way I remember it would be fun as hell. And T tops.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

BITCHIN. I'd get tired of feeding it gas though.

I don't drive much anymore so that's not a big deal.

Going to test drive it tomorrow, lol. The kid in me says YES YES YES but the adult in me says Not Practical :colbert:

Would be cool to have something to take to car meets tho, you don't see many IROCs anymore.

[e] cool story, I almost lost my license racing a Mustang in my dad's IROC once :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 12, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Found an old pic of my dad's IROC.....Great memories with this thing and way too much power for a 17 year old :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I'm in Florida, no worries about ice.

Although with the Gatorback tires my dad's car came with when it rained it was like ice :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elviscat posted:

AA, weren't you super concerned about crash safety in your car purchases just recently? Because IROCs are awesome, but their not great in crashes.

Yeah it is a concern. I don't drive much anymore so the risk is a bit less now, but the more I've thought about this the more I think this car would be just a toy and not a DD. I'd keep my xB or get another one down the road.

I've got a decent settlement coming (hopefully soon according to my lawyer) so I can afford to do it. I'm going to look at the car today, if it hits all the right happy places and doesn't need too much I'll probably get it, but if it doesn't drive right to me and has any issues I'll pass on it. Like others have said, it's not like it would lose value, if anything the value could go up on it so it could be a little rolling "investment :v:" that I get to have fun with now and then.

Not getting my hopes up tho, been there done that and been disappointed. We'll see how it goes today.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The IROC was no bueno :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well the worst part is that it's an Illinois car.....The rust underneath wasn't horrible, but enough for it not to be worth 12k in Florida, more like 9k maybe but the guy wasn't willing to budge much on the price.

Other part was he wouldn't let me drive it. Said something on the exhaust broke and it was hanging too low (looked fine to me) and he wanted to get it fixed before I drove it.....Um why didn't you tell me that before I drove half an hour to come see it? He tried to explain too much to the point I had a feeling something else was up with it that he didn't want me to know. But that's beside the point really, you can't ask a high price for an Illinois car in Florida, maybe you could get it up there but not here.

Too bad because it's a gorgeous car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, sorry, a Northeast car is largely valueless anywhere but in the Northeast. Too much possibility of hidden Northeastness.

Exactly, and people that bring those cars down here don't get it. No way you're going to get the high side of what it's worth, you're getting the low side just because of that alone. I have patience, and if I really want an IROC I can find one with NO RUST at all, not even surface rust in great condition, it just takes time and I'm in no hurry.

It was really cool sitting in it tho, I haven't sat in one since I was a teenager, talk about a flood of memories.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

For me, I'm getting sick of going int to repair or replace one thing, and finding all the *other* stuff that will need to be done that was hidden until I got the first thing out. Getting where I'm afraid to do anything to the house, lest I cause a chain reaction of failure.

Obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSehcT19u0

Home and car ownership right there :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

'tis a shame. The custom title that came out of that was classic.

I was pretty proud of myself for that one :)

[e] Rhyno did you save it? :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

My new girlfriend was nice enough to ask my opinion of 02/14 ("between indifferent and mildly disgusted") so we settled on cooking things for each other. She's second-gen Cuban from Miami, and since I've never dabbled in Cuban cuisine I tried my hand at black bean soup and picadillo. I hosed up the soup by adding waaay too much of my Death Powder (finely ground Carolina Reaper, Ghost, and Habanero pepper), but she loved the picadillo. She made me gooey butter bars and Extra Lemony Lemon Bars :swoon: I ate like half of them. She says that she now understands why I don't keep sweets in the house (because I have little self-control when it comes to sweets, and with lemon bars I become a madman.

Cuban food is the best, I loved it so much that I've learned to cook it and can make a killer Picadillo and Arroz Con Pollo Alla Chorrera (chicken and rice) using the recipes from this book

https://www.amazon.com/Habana-Caf%C3%A9-Cookbook-Josefa-Gonzalez-Hastings/dp/0813027373

The author has her restaurant here and we go quite a bit. The roast pork is amazing.

Also Trader Joe's has the best loving lemon bars I could eat an entire box :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Yeah like literally. I'm not bullshitting here, he's the mirror image of trump. They keep trading spots in the parties but they're both garbage NYC plutocrats with a barely-deniable (to respective party hacks) history of racist bullshit. Bloomberg is the same piece of poo poo, just opposite world mode. You move the D from before his name to after it. And they can both gargle my entire dingdong if they think they're getting my vote.

But if you don't vote you're a fence sitting rear end in a top hat apparently :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus Christ meatpimp....As someone who's getting ready to have a bunch of work done (cabinets) this is making me nervous.

I've always done poo poo myself but I can't anymore and have to trust other people to do it right. Lol what are the odds of that actually happening.

Hope you nail him to the wall man gently caress that guy

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

big dong wanter posted:

Not nearly as funny as one of my boomer neighbours ordering one custom converted to rhd for around 6 figgies only for it to get delayed to the point that there were factory rhd mustangs available by the time it was delivered

Lol that must have hurt the wallet I would have been pissed :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

HEY GUYS.....I found another IROC going to look at it and actually drive it this weekend :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah also the whole IMS bearing issue.....No bueno.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

This looks way more rad than the last one if not only because the sweet red and blue bottom stripes.

It's an '89 which is more desirable (to me) because of the updated wheels (the year I graduated high school too lol). Also the guy has had tons of work done to it with receipts, and most importantly it's a rust free Florida car. So far the guy has has been super knowledgeable and helpful so we'll see how it goes :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Hopefully you're a one-party state for recording (or he consented).

I think he told them he had cameras so they were aware? I think it's funny how some contractors label a client as "difficult" when the client knows what they want and how they want it done. Like you should just accept their lovely work and be gracious that they are doing anything at all, gently caress those idiots. Although at the same time I think meatpimp should have let them know from the start the kind of work he expected and that he would be up their rear end to check on the work being done, that should scare off any mediocre contractors. If he did do that, and they still cried about it, then they are complete morons and he should sue them to the fullest extent.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I discovered that Amazon Prime video has all the Dukes of Hazzard seasons so I started watching it the other day. My son was like what's this, so I told him the backstory and how back in the day when I was his age the Dukes were the poo poo and the General Lee was the star of the show.

In about four episodes now and he fuckin loves it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

See how much he likes it when Coy and Vance show up :v:

I was just thinking that! If it's anything like my reaction was it will be complete disappointment.

LloydDobler posted:

You now get to explain that this is where "Daisy Dukes" are from, and how rednecks still call them that.

Gonna wait for him to put 2 and 2 together and figure it out :v: