Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

After the epic journey that was ChickenCheese, I'm going to turn down the scale of cook or die for this round.

For this, the shortest month, COOK OR DIE is....

EGG

Humble. Simple. Yet endless possibilities.

The rules are simple, the challenge is plain:

If you post here, you must cook an egg by NOON EDT February 29th or eat a 6 hour probation.

Here is my breakfast today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I will take the egg challenge.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

I'm in

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I can do this

saoot
Jan 5, 2020

Can there be more than one egg involved?

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

This is going to push my culinary skills to their limits, but count me in.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Today's breakfast was Gordon Ramsey custard style scrambled eggs. I would have made him mad, as I salted when I mixed the eggs.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Just as insurance in case February becomes super busy and I forget to otherwise egg-- shakshuka from this morning, with feta, bird's eye chilis, and homemade sourdough.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Gonna make some ramen eggs. Yummy.

:toxx: as per tradition.

I think I'll try my hand at a proper french omelette.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 3, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yes I will cook an egg or eggs this month and possibly in a new-to-me way!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

*big grizzled tough guy voice* Eggs? I eat eggs for breakfast.

*does cool grizzled tough guy move*

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Is there a post limit, because I have at least two eggs almost every single morning for the past 8 years and I don't want to overload the thread with a picture of two over-easy every morning. I do also make a decent classic french omelette but I don't generally stuff them.

I haven't done any softboiled lately, and I do need to pack some more protein into my lunches...

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Should I go ham (heh geddit) and make eggs benedict?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Definitely, I was aiming to do that myself at some point.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

All the trans posters rollin up in the egg thread. Let's get crackin'!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Easy Huevos Rancheros

Only 4 ingredients, egg, tortilla, salsa, cheese.

Spray a pan with spray grease (guess that is a 5th ingredient but whatever), lay in the tortilla.

One huevo

Two rancheros

Three quesos

Bake at 350F for about 10 minutes, until the white sets and the yolk is almost firm. Shake the pan to check. And take it out before I did, the yolk was completely set because I was writing this post.

Plate

Cut open and see the yolk set while I was distracted :negative:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Egg before dishonor.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Egg

Egg:

Egg:

Egg:

Egg:

Egg:

Egg:

Egg:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Resting Lich Face posted:

All the trans posters rollin up in the egg thread. Let's get crackin'!

Lmao I didn't catch that til you said it. Hell yeah let's crack some eggs

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
look this wasn't eggsactly what I planned to cook, but lets crack on...

this is a basic shakshuka variant that I seem to cook a lot. It's an easy, forgiving, one pan type meal. Pretty much my forté

lovely mise

start frying

fry some more

gently caress a duck

bubble away

be unhappy with the texture, throw it all in a blender and come back

the ouef part

chuck it under the grill for a bit and serve

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hell, it'd be weird if I didn't make eggs at some point in a month so sure. I'm the one who started this idea with the french omelette discussion so I'll probably do that. I've also been toying with the idea of doing Ramsay eggs but instead of using sour cream to halt the cooking, I can use some homemade pimento cheese. I'm interested at least. Serve that on toast and it sounds good as hell.

I know people not from the south may think pimento cheese spread is weird and gross but it's not. Make some from scratch and it's awesome. If you've only had store bought premade stuff that's probably why you think it's gross tbh.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 6, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Hell, it'd be weird if I didn't make eggs at some point in a month so sure. I'm the one who started this idea with the french omelette discussion so I'll probably do that. I've also been toying with the idea of doing Ramsay eggs but instead of using sour cream to halt the cooking, I can use some homemade pimento cheese. I'm interested at least. Serve that on toast and it sounds good as hell.

I know people not from the south may think pimento cheese spread is weird and gross but it's not. Make some from scratch and it's awesome. If you've only had store bought premade stuff that's probably why you think it's gross tbh.

Pimento rules and is such a broad template, this all sounds wonderful.

It ended up working out that I committed to both dutch baby and a pretty eggy custard for Valentine's Day dinner so soon I will be sending eggs to this thread... with love.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
There are a lot of words on this page and far too few pictures. So I'm aiming to change that in a small part.

Here's my Leftover Eggs.

Well, the eggs aren't leftover, but everything else was. Leftover Tomato Biryani, some corn tortillas that are going stale, some of my cayenne hot sauce, and 2 eggs. And lots of salt, because when you fry tortillas and make eggs, you need the salt.

It was delicious. My coffee ran out before I got to eat it, so I just made more coffee. No, I won't be bouncing off walls, the eggs will slow me down, why do you ask, no, this run-on sentence is on purpose.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Ugh. It's morning again. How the gently caress does this keep happening?

Okay, you've got bread. It's old so you've pulled out a couple of tiny spots of mold because you're not broke like you were when you were a kid but some things never change.
Eggs.
Some kinda fancy rear end black truffle cheese that really shows you're not broke like you were years ago. Want to say that was like $8/pound? Jesus.
Leftover grease, mostly from bacon. You can't waste anything. Save the grease and use it in lovely breakfast foods.
Milk
Decaf since you had that weird heart thing years ago and caffeine was a factor in that.
Caffeinated instant grounds because sometimes you're a dumbass who stays up too late playing video games.
Ugh
Mug
Pourover basket.
Baby monitor because your preschooler sometimes needs a nudge when getting up and getting dressed in the morning. You had that on your nightstand because in a convoluted way she acts as your alarm. it goes as follows.
-wife wakes up
-wife gets baby monitor and puts it on your nighstand
-about an hour later, kiddo gets up
-kiddo says good morning and that the light on her alarm clock is now green
-you tell her you'll be with her in a minute.
-it might be as many as five while you wait for your back to unfuck itself

This is as much instant coffee you can put in your decaf. You can't gently caress around with this too much. It almost certainly wasn't the cause of your palpitations but is sure as poo poo contributed. You get... that's probably a little less than half a teaspoon. You will still feel dead, but can function.

You asked your daughter what she wanted for breakfast and she said cereal. All the cereals. Fine. Also some fruit. Later on when you sit down to eat and she reminds you that we just got that waffle cereal too, so you add some of that.

Who's the best mug to scramble eggs in? Whoo? Whoooo?

You splash in a bit of milk. Don't bother measuring, it's early and nobody has time for that poo poo. You've just got the pour length on sort of a mental clock now.

Fancy-rear end Kilchurn black truffle cheddar. Kiddo won't like this and your wife is kinda "eh" on cheese, so it's up to you to find a use for this. Luckily eggs are a perfect vessel.

You put it in the pan and use too much leftover grease. This is why you're fat. That and genetics since the only thing that's ever worked for you is a combo of hard labor and starvation.

So back when you were young and dumb you accidentally stumbled onto the secret for the best goddamn eggs ever. You don't often do it now because it's time consuming, but it's this: start with a cold pan, and stir constantly. The eggs take on a wonderful, creamy, almost buttery consistency. later on you'd learn that Gordon Ramsay recommends this and you'll feel smug as gently caress. Except Ramsay says to keep taking the pan off the heat and putting it back on and you have got to be kidding with that poo poo. Leave it on and just turn it way low if you're worried about that. Nobody has time to keep moving a goddamn pan.

Almost there. You're effectively scraping off a thin cooked layer from the bottom every time you stir, making room for the uncooked egg to flow in. Not much different than making regular scrambled eggs, just takes longer.

When it get's close, you put the plunger down on the toaster that you got when the taco caught fire in the last one. Get out some of that fancy tourist jam you got in Vermont, and feel slightly guilty that you spent $8 on jelly when other people in the world are suffering. The hot sauce was a gift from the wife, who is just about ready to leave the house now. Kiddo's breakfast is on the table. She started eating ten minutes ago and will still be eating for 30 minutes after your plate gets to the table.

Regret the whiskey habanero sauce because while it's your favorite from the pack, it just doesn't go well with the black truffle. Oh well. The eggs are still good. Your daughter leans over to give you a hug mid-meal. You only made her a bowl of cereal but she'll say you did great. She's just like that. She likes to find the positive in everything, even this early.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I saw the challenge and after reading the first page, I realized I didn't need to cook at all. I was gonna Drink That Glob.

I'm a big fan of The Wire like all white people, and I remembered the stevedore's breakfast of champions from season 2: eggs-n-beer. I opted to go the "red eye" route and add a little extra sauce to the party.

Step one: gather your ingredients:

In my case, it includes bottom shelf vodka ($6.99/1.75 liters. Really), expensive free range eggs that cost nearly as much as the vodka (not really, but not far off at $4.00 or whatever they were), the only beer in my fridge that wasn't a stout or porter (Goose Island hazy IPA of some stripe) along with bloody mary mix because I don't generally keep tomato juice in the house. It was this or tomato soup, so I just poured the mary mix on top of one ounce of vodka and most of the contents of the can of beer. Then comes the party trick: one raw egg.

You can see my globular buddy at the bottom there. The aim of the game is to drink it down-in-one go, which I did with great aplomb. You'll have to trust me on that because I'm not gonna shoot that video in a mirror or something. Basically the egg is the last one to the party and you sure notice when the yolk enters, in my case because I have a pretty decent gap between my two front teeth and I sure felt the yolk. The white was indistinguishable, however.

I consumed the egg, but I did not cook the egg. Please let me know if this circumvents the rules of Cook or Die and I'll make another dish, like a hardboiled egg mashed into bourbon or something.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
That’s some coincidence! I used leftover truffled cheddar in my not-shakshuka too!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eat This Glob posted:

I consumed the egg, but I did not cook the egg. Please let me know if this circumvents the rules of Cook or Die and I'll make another dish, like a hardboiled egg mashed into bourbon or something.

You caused a chemical reaction to occur between the egg and the bloody-mary-beer. It was just very brief, much like you'd 'cook' ceviche, but with ethanol and the acid in the tomato portion instead of citrus juice.

I don't think I'd be able to do this myself. Texture of it would definitely put me off. I for one, appreciate the creativity. It sure beats (...) the seven fried eggs that I envision on the last page of this thread.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
*Disclaimer: I know my lighting is poo poo and I apologize. This is my first home as a single man and it has really crappy lighting in the kitchen.

Eggs Over Easy

Every day when I wake up, I eat at least two eggs, some sort of meat (usually bacon or smoked link sausage), and a slice of toast (sometimes with cheese). Lately I have been having my eggs over easy, though I do also like them scrambled, and as a nice classic French omelette.

Start with your meats. Wright's bacon and Register's hot smoked sausage this morning.

While your meat is cooking, lay out your egg prep. You only need eggs, butter, salt, and pepper.
That pan is my Egg Pan. It only ever sees eggs, butter salt, pepper, and MAYBE some herbs from time to time if I'm doing an omelette.
Do Not gently caress With My Egg Pan Seasoning Or God Save You From My Wrath.

Meanwhile, my... assistant is ready for his breakfast too.

"I'm not begging, no sir"

"Okay maybe I'm begging a little bit"

Scrape the pan for all the bottom goody

Toss with 1.5c of kibble to coat evenly

Sit! Stay! Good Boy!

-About a nanosecond after "Okay!"

Now the important stuff is taken care of, we can move on to the main event: Eggs

5g of butter into your preheated pan. The butter should just barely bubble. This is a bit hot.

Crack in your two eggs. Make sure you match orientation so your yolks stay on the same side. If one of your yolks is stubborn about where it wants to be, you can tilt the pan while holding the yolk with your fingers to get the white to set differently. Sprinkle with salt and pepper before the white sets.

Once your white is just about set, flip gently. Some may need a spatula, but I just pan flip them. Ensure you do not break the yolks. The browning is due to too much heat, of course. I should have let the pan cool a bit more.
Jiggle the pan or gently press the yolk to check for doneness. Don't let it get too far, or you've done hosed off into Hard Yolk territory, which is a sad, sad place for Eggs Over.

Serve with meat and toast. I prefer to eat the yolks whole after slicing off the white and letting the rich gooey goodness explode in my mouth. Toast is for backup in case I get clumsy with excising the white from the yolk or getting the yolk on my fork. I almost poked one for the gooey moneyshot but I just couldn't bring myself to ruin it this time.

Hand off the dishes to your assistant for cleanup.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 7, 2020

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I did make the pimento cheese Gordon Ramsay style scrambled eggs and it turned out delicious. It may look really runny in the picture but that's straight off of the stove, they thickened up pretty well as they cooled.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I'mma egg

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Eggs! I'm usually a lazy fucker when it comes to breakfast but I've got some eggs that need to be used and more ideas for breakfast than I can usually be bothered attempting, so lets get cooking.

First up, something I found referred to as "centurion eggs" (though I can't find the original reference and that just turns up century eggs in a search). This is effectively poached eggs in mushrooms. To whit, our mise:

Tea, because it's way too early and you need some help to stay awake. Portobello mushrooms, eggs, onion, tomato, salt/pepper/herbs to taste, oil, garlic, sliced salami.

Pull the stems out of the mushrooms so we've got room for the eggs.

Dice the mushroom stems since we don't want to waste them. At this point I also diced a small onion but that was way too much for one person so I'd do half next time.

Chuck the onion/mushroom/garlic/herbs into a hot pan with some oil (and use less garlic than I did).

While that mixture is frying lets start the eggs. Place your mushrooms in a pan you've got a lid for with the underside facing up, then crack an egg into each. You might want to oil the pan but my stove isn't flat so it did gently caress all for me.

Cover each egg with a piece of salami (or ham if you prefer) and put the lid on to trap the steam.

Once the diced onion/mushroom/herb mix has cooked down a bit dice some tomato and add it to the mix.

There's probably a way to time it and catch your eggs before the yolk solidifies but I'm not alert enough for that, so once your whites are solid it's time to pull the whole mushrooms/eggs off the heat and plate.

Make a grotesque face out of your mushrooms and fried veg and dig in! All up this is a pretty simple breakfast though I would definitely cut back on the onion and portion size of the "relish" in general next time. Also I'd recommend using better salami than the packaged stuff I bought. Apart from that it was decent enough for something you can prep half asleep :v:.

Next up is french toast because I want an excuse to have sugar for breakfast. The plan:

Eggs, cinnamon, crushed walnuts, raw sugar, maple syrup, store-bought bread.

Toast those walnuts in a dry pan over some heat. Realise you've gone overboard on the walnuts at this point but plow forward anyway.

While the walnuts are toasting crack some eggs in a bowl and whisk together with a pinch of salt (you did see the salt in the mise right?) and a healthy sprinkle of cinnamon.

Around this time the plan encounters the enemy, so no photos for a while...

Chuck a piece of bread in the eggs and let it soak in a bit before flipping it over. At this point decide the walnuts are done and spend entirely too long trying to pour crushed walnuts from a 30cm pan into a 10cm bowl. Once you've made a mess but successfully emptied the pan realise that the bread has now soaked up all the eggs and has lost all structural integrity. Put the pan back on the heat, oil it a bit, get the bread pieces into the pan and sprinkle a bit of sugar on it, then start the process again.

Crack three eggs into a bowl, add a pinch of salt, a teaspoon of cinnamon, and whisk to combine.
Get two pieces of bread ready and dip them in the egg mixture to coat both sides, allowing the bread to soak up some (but not too much!) egg. Before putting the egg soaked bread in the pan sprinkle some sugar on whatever side is facing up, then put that side down when you place it in the pan and sprinkle some sugar on the other side.

Hopefully yours looks neater than mine at this point. It's still gonna taste good anyway.

Once it's browned on both sides, plate (covering the dodgy first attempt), sprinkle with some walnuts and drizzle with some maple syrup. Enjoy!

Final attempt is a basic-arse omelette. Lets try not to gently caress this up.

Oil, salt, pepper, mixed herbs, eggs, mushroom, capsicum, scallions.

Slice your mushrooms, transfer to a pan on med-high heat, drizzle with oil and toss to coat.

Dice the capsicum and slice the scallions.

Around this point the mushrooms should have shrunk significantly and developed a bit of colour so add the capsicum to the pan and season with salt/pepper/herbs. Forget to take a photo of this step.

Crack some eggs in a bowl, add a pinch of salt, and whisk well. Set the mushroom/capsicum mix aside so you can reuse the pan.

Turn the heat down, add a splash of oil, then pour in the egg mixture and swirl it around to coat the base of the pan.

Let it sit until the egg has mostly set but there's still a layer of liquid on top.

Learning from past mistakes I used half the mushroom/capsicum mix. Cover half the omelette with the scallions, mushroom, capsicum. If your stove has a defined tilt like mine does I'd suggest placing the filling on the more liquid side to make it easier to fold, but it didn't make much difference either way.

However you ended up placing your filling, the aim is to fold the omelette in half and let the egg set around the filling. We're not aiming for a true french omelette here so a bit of browning is absolutely fine.

Et voila. Turns out an omelette is simple enough even I can avoid loving it up, well done me.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Ephphatha posted:

There's probably a way to time it and catch your eggs before the yolk solidifies but I'm not alert enough for that, so once your whites are solid it's time to pull the whole mushrooms/eggs off the heat and plate.

These look divine and I can't believe I've never cooked eggs like this before.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've been sick this weekend, but I made myself a breakfast egg burrito.

I'm still not feeling better because I can't bring myself to finish it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I just realized I made eggs for dinner last night, but no pics so I shall just have to do it again

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Made hardboiled eggs today but didn't bother taking pictures because dude how lame.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Omurice.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

I poached eggs the proper way the first time today. I dunno why people say it's hard because it is not. Served over a roasted potato salad.

I wish the pictured plate was mine because the eggs were perfect. Mine were a bit overcooked.

E: Also holy poo poo that pic is bad. My phone camera is rear end sorry.

Seriously I am ashamed about how bad that picture made something delicious look.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 11, 2020

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

This is really :effort: but I did it, I cooked an egg! Might present another entry later but it’s been a crazy few weeks getting settled into our new place and haven’t had the time to make something fancy. I will say I’m so glad to be in a place with a gas range again, I had a lovely glass top electric stove the last 2 years and this thing makes me so happy.

The cast of characters:

The beautiful cast iron pan on a gas range:

One cooked egg with some bread under it:

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Long time listener first time caller here. Missed my chance to chickchee but this seems like a good time to start contributing.

Gonna try this style of egg sometime for sure. Looks good!

This is a handsome and delicious looking egg, friend

Mushroomegg also looks tasty.

Here are some gross scrambled eggs I cooked up for a late lunch. Please forgive my terrible photography!

Butter, cheese (I like parmesan but whatever works), pickles, EGGx3. Slice up your pickles.

Whip your eggs. I added a dash of water but use milk if ya got it.

Butter into pan. I use it even with nonstick pans because I'm a fat gently caress and it tastes good.

Pour egg into pan over medium heat and start folding up them curds as they form.

Once they're all folded up add a handful of shredded cheese. Lots of people overcook their scrambled eggs, err on the side of undercooked imo, residual heat is a bitch.

Cover em up to melt the cheese and go pour yourself a drink.

This is a little west-coast style india pale ale I brewed.

Make sure your cheese is melted and your egg is ready.

Garnish with black pepper and pickles.

Walla! Oeufs that make you go oof. Bone apple teeth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saoot
Jan 5, 2020

So, imagine I remembered to take pictures and that I had a pan with some cold water and some eggs in it. Then imagine I took a picture of them once the water started to boil, and then we come to about 10 minutes later, after running the eggs under a cold tap to get them to stop cooking.

It's rare that I get my hard-boiled eggs this perfect. I know a lot of people prefer the yolk to be less set than this but there's no grey and I need the yolks to not be runny or a barely-stable gel. We're making egg salad, you see.

After peeling, the eggs went into a handy storage container, nestled on a bed of tarragon, salt, pepper, paprika, celery seed, onion powder, and garlic powder. I don't usually go with that much seasoning, but I figured why not, egg salad is kinda a blank canvas and you can do a lot to it, so I'll go kinda classic with the seasoning, but sometimes I put maple syrup in and forgo anything beyond what the mustard and mayo bring. On top of the eggs goes roughly 1 part yellow mustard to 2 parts mayo, I tend to use less than I think I need at first. Also, my ratio of mustard to mayo is a personal preference, more mustard will result in a yellower and generally tangier egg salad, and more mayo will result in a bit blander whiter egg salad.

Then I use a paring knife to cut everything together, it doesn't take very long, eggs are soft, and it's egg salad, we don't need perfectly uniform cubes of egg here and this is less messy than trying to dice eggs on a cutting board. As you can see, I need a bit more mustard and mayo because this egg salad's looking a little dry.

Roughly the same ratio again to fix that.

Then give it a good mix, and realize maybe you went a little heavy with the paprika and celery seed, oh well, this egg salad has a little bite to it.

Now on to serving, well, grab one of those leftover tortillas from taco night.

And slab a generous helping of egg salad next to some of the lettuce you had leftover because holy gently caress how does one person eat an entire head of iceberg before it goes bad?

Finally, I present to you all, for your culinary displeasure, the Egg Salad Burrito.

Now, if we're supposed to do this challenge with only one egg...
Bacon.

Egg.

Egg in bacon grease, get them edges crispy, so maybe go a touch longer than you would for a breakfast egg, want that yolk to just barely start setting too.

Grab some toast, "butter" it by wiping it around the pan because bacon grease is the best butter, drop on the egg, eat half the bacon and put the other half on top of the egg.

Put the other slice of toast on top, make some coffee, and admire just how dirty your cooktop is while you eat a Fried Egg Sammich.