Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

fried egg sandwich and reubens are the king and queen of sandwiches imo. I'm not going to presume which sandwich is which, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I Fritatta'd

Onion sweet potato sweet pepper bacon feta fritatta https://imgur.com/gallery/SYL5xXt

I also poached eggs in Nongshim Shin Black ramen, that was extraordinarily good.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 14, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Egg drop soup with shiitake mushrooms, because I'm feeling sick as a dog today. Had to make do with red pepper flake because I was out of Angry Lady chili crisp, to my eternal shame.

I'll probably do another dish this weekend once I recover.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Eat This Glob posted:

fried egg sandwich and reubens are the king and queen of sandwiches imo. I'm not going to presume which sandwich is which, though

The egg sandwich is clearly the queen because it's not a sperm sandwich now is it?

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Cook or Die: March 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Resting Lich Face posted:

The egg sandwich is clearly the queen because it's not a sperm sandwich now is it?

I dunno, I know quite a few fabulous queens with just as much Y chromosome as me

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Man, fried egg and cheese sandwiches helped me survive when I first lived on my own. It was a rotation of those, ramen and party pizzas. Fried egg and cheese sandwiches are still good though the rest can stay away.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Cooked an egg.

4 egg country omelette with onion, red bell pepper, and cheese. Some fried potatoes as well because I had them and it's cold as hell this morning.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thank you, thread! You just upgraded tonight's croque monsieur to a croque madame! I will egg.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Croatoan posted:

Man, fried egg and cheese sandwiches helped me survive when I first lived on my own. It was a rotation of those, ramen and party pizzas. Fried egg and cheese sandwiches are still good though the rest can stay away.

Sometimes that trash totinos pizza hits the spot juuuust right though. I have like one or two a year.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The batter for the dutch baby is ready to go and the curd is chilling in the fridge, I'm excited to get my egg on tomorrow.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

point taken

Beach Bum posted:

I dunno, I know quite a few fabulous queens with just as much Y chromosome as me

also true

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tryna think what’s the most showoff thing I can do with egg

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Souffle

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

thats disgusting this is a cooking thread!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Flan.

On top of a cheesecake.

E: vv Fertilize it and make a balut-themed dish.

anakha fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 14, 2020

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Steve Yun posted:

Fertilize it.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Beach Bum posted:

Of course. I just wanted an excuse to type "sperm sandwich"

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Of course. I just wanted an excuse to type "sperm sandwich"

Look I know some of you are desperate for last minute Valentine's Day dinner ideas but there's got to be something better than this.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

Egg? Sure. Onsen tamago, featuring this week's leftovers.

Prepare the bath, 168F.

Add the eggs. This is the lowest proportion of food to water I've done with this thing yet.

13 minutes later, remove to ice bath.

Unshell, gently add to this week's dinner. Chicken stewed with white wine and rosemary and too much pepper to look pretty, side of riced cauliflower and curry sauce, gochujang pickles and pickled red onion.

Gently poke with fork.

Success.

I used a thinner stock than I'd have liked for this, and the egg added a very pleasant richness to the meal that it was missing. Second egg saved for similar dinner tomorrow, sous vide water used to water herb garden to quiet conscience nagging about using a gallon to cook two eggs.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

Look I know some of you are desperate for last minute Valentine's Day dinner ideas but there's got to be something better than this.

Speaking of Valentine's Day dinner: I made a savory dutch baby and lemon curd.

This was a good plan since so much of it could be made ahead. Tonight I had everything on the table in under half an hour because most of the heavy lifting had been taken care of in advance.

Dutch baby stuff. I couldn't find fresh thyme so I used dried.

Eggs, milk, flour, salt, and butter in the blender...

...to make a nice smooth batter, which I then stow away in the fridge.

Then earlier today before running errands I prepped the dutch baby's filling-- parm, thyme, chives, and some big chunky shreds of basil.

Meanwhile I also got cracking on the lemon curd. Lemon juice out of a bottle, I know, shameful. After taking this picture I also went out and bought a bunch of berries.

Whip all of that into a creamy curd and pop in the fridge to cool and set.

After getting home I poured the dutch baby mix into a pre-heated cast iron skillet and then popped it into the oven.

While that cooked I got the accoutrements together. Some torn burrata with just a bit of salt and pepper.

And a very simple salad of arugula and lemon juice. I threw in some cucumber and tomato because they were just on hand and weren't going to eat themselves.

The dutch baby came out smelling incredible, but looking a little puffy and hosed up. I like how it looks but it is definitely not a picture perfect dutch baby. Oh well.

It tasted great with the burrata and a little bit of prosciutto thrown very briefly in a pan to sort of capture a kind of breakfast-for-dinner feeling. Despite the goofy looks it was a really satisfying, relatively light (believe it or not) main course and the baby itself was very pleasantly eggy and airy, a bit like a cross between a crepe and a souffle. I loved it.

While we ate I got the berries in a bowl with some sugar and lemon juice and let it stew and release some juice.

From there I just plopped the berries and juice on top of the chilled curd and served! Really rich, but really tasty!

Perhaps not the most conventionally eggy dishes, but I used 8 of the drat things all things told so if it isn't an egg dinner I don't know what it is.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 15, 2020

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Well, not the first baby made on Valentine's Day heyyyoooo.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Quick bacon-and-egg roll for brunch. I'm sure some purists will argue that a real bacon-and-egg roll will have a fried egg with a runny yolk. That poo poo does look great, but it just goes EVERYWHERE except in your mouth. I prefer I nice scramble.

If you don't have avocado or tomato, no problems. I was just using up what was in the fridge. Equally good with some kewpie mayo & sriracha.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

In case I forget to do a fancier dish: breakfast taco

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

slothrop posted:

Quick bacon-and-egg roll for brunch. I'm sure some purists will argue that a real bacon-and-egg roll will have a fried egg with a runny yolk. That poo poo does look great, but it just goes EVERYWHERE except in your mouth. I prefer I nice scramble.

If you don't have avocado or tomato, no problems. I was just using up what was in the fridge. Equally good with some kewpie mayo & sriracha.

That looks delicious right now. I could smash a couple of those.

You’re right about the runny yolk though. There’s no point to it if you don’t get to eat it because it’s dripping everywhere. I’d rather a fried egg that’s been left a bit too long so that it’s just a little runny with nice crispy edges. Get some of the best of both worlds that way.

I’m going to have to make some of these this week now.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'll make some eggs next weekend, probably an omelette

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I made gochujang deviled eggs with a little chopped up dashi pickle and gochugaru on top.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Le Souffle
Souffle'd last night.

This is my favorite cookbook that never fails me

It's got lots of great stuff, but the thing we care about today is using magic to turn plain old ordinary eggs and cheese until something fancy and delicious.It's really pretty quick and easy!
Le batterie du cuisine et le mise en place

Get that souffle dish ready with some butter and a lil cheese. Butter up a strip of aluminum foil if you want to for a little collar.

Separate some eggs-4 yolks and 5 whites.

Go ahead and make a pile of cheese. we've got some cheddar, some pecorino, and some parm.

Toss some flour and butter together and make a roux, add some milk to make a bechamel, add some cayenne, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Remove from heat, and toss in those egg yolks to make it rich and thickkkk.

Let's let that cool off a little and see about those whites. Add a pinch of salt and cream of tartar for a little insurance and start slow to loosen things up, and then speed things up until you get a magical white foam that does this:

Add the pile of cheese to the bechamel and give it a little stir:

Splop a spoonful of the egg whites in and whisk lightly to lighten up that heavy bechamel, and then fold in the rest of the whites in a few batches. Put it in the dish and tie a collar around it and sprinkle a little more cheese on top:

Toss it in a 400F oven, and turn down to 375. Bake for 30-35 min.

Et voila!

Crumb shot:

Eats good. Souffle gets a bad rap for being complicated and fussy, but I went from pile of stuff on kitchen counter to in the oven in 20min. It really turns cheap stuff you proably already have in the fridge into something delicious and impressive and everyone should souffle!

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 19, 2020

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

:eyepop: Incroyable, Monsieur Schnitzel!

For my egg, I present The Best Breakfast Sammich I've Ever Made. Eggs are what holds it all together, but they're co-starring with these two homemade condiments:

That's a spreadable pipian mole on the left (you can read more about it over here in the vegan thread); and quick-pickled carrot, broccoli slaw, and cabbage on the right.

First, make yourself some nice toast. Buttered and toasted on both sides, please.

Put a nice layer of the mole down.

Off camera, scramble yourself two eggs (season to taste). For this sammich, I think soft-set and small curd is just right, but you do you. You are after all, the Charlotte Rampling of egg scrambling.

Anoint eggs with Cholula.

Top with pickle.

Now eat immediately! I didn't do this step, because obvs I needed a cross-section shot.

This is legit fantastic. The brightness, crispness, and acidity of the cholula and pickle are a perfect complement to the softness and richness of the eggs and mole. The crispy, buttery toast wraps it all and ties it up with a slightly greasy metaphorical bow.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

mdxi posted:

:eyepop: Incroyable, Monsieur Schnitzel!

For my egg, I present The Best Breakfast Sammich I've Ever Made. Eggs are what holds it all together, but they're co-starring with these two homemade condiments:

That's a spreadable pipian mole on the left (you can read more about it over here in the vegan thread); and quick-pickled carrot, broccoli slaw, and cabbage on the right.

First, make yourself some nice toast. Buttered and toasted on both sides, please.

Put a nice layer of the mole down.

Off camera, scramble yourself two eggs (season to taste). For this sammich, I think soft-set and small curd is just right, but you do you. You are after all, the Charlotte Rampling of egg scrambling.

Anoint eggs with Cholula.

Top with pickle.

Now eat immediately! I didn't do this step, because obvs I needed a cross-section shot.

This is legit fantastic. The brightness, crispness, and acidity of the cholula and pickle are a perfect complement to the softness and richness of the eggs and mole. The crispy, buttery toast wraps it all and ties it up with a slightly greasy metaphorical bow.

Oh my god, hello to this sandwich.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

I made hollandaise for the first time. I also forgot to take pics til I was almost done cooking. Whoops.

Bit bubbly but it didnt matter.

Looking good!

Proof of perfect poach. This tasted real drat good.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 21, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I was halfway though eating my breakfast this morning before I remembered about this.

My eggs were overcooked, but thankfully the girlfriend's came out fine.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

All eggs are beautiful.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I made a mushroom, onion, bell pepper and bacon omlette

It broke slightly coming out of the pan

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

The Glumslinger posted:

poo poo happens. I bet it tasted fuckin good tho

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

anakha posted:

Egg drop soup with shiitake mushrooms, because I'm feeling sick as a dog today. Had to make do with red pepper flake because I was out of Angry Lady chili crisp, to my eternal shame.

I'll probably do another dish this weekend once I recover.

Same same.

I took more photos but apparently couldn't hold a camera steady. Recipe was roughly:
Add 1 litre chicken stock, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tsp ginger, salt/pepper to taste to a pot and put on high heat.
While that's warming up slice up some leftover green onions and toss them in the pot.
Once the mixture comes to a boil turn the heat down and add some cornflour.
Beat 4 eggs then slowly stream them into the pot while stirring.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Still looks an order of magnitude better than my terrible attempts at omelettes. I think I've made exactly one in my lifetime that hasn't broken.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tonight is breakfast for dinner.

I took some eggs and soaked some home made challah (also with eggs) to evolve it into french toast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
You didn't think that having the challenge be about eggs would stop me from making more sausage did you? I will be making the quintessential marriage of sausage and eggs, that's not a breakfast taco.

The humble chicken egg!

Too boring? Fine! Let's add a duck egg!

Are you not entertained?!?! JFC FINE. Let's get some quail egg in there too.

That's the ticket! Now let's start curing those quail eggs in salt, sugar, green Szechuan peppercorns, toasted and untoasted red Szechuan peppercorns, star anise and dried shiitake. We'll let those go for a couple of days, then pull them out and put them into some cheesecloth in the fridge to dry out further.

We're also gonna want some chili oil, and to give it some time to bloom. Korean chili flakes, dried Thai chilies, Tianjin chilies, coriander/anise/cinnamon/Szechuan peppercorns in a sachet.

Alrighty, day before, let's use our chicken eggs. Let's make an aioli (okay, you got me, that's not really an aioli, just mayo, but mayo sounds pedestrian). Egg yolks, Korean chili flakes, canola oil, homemade chili oil, lots of garlic, lot of lime, Chinese hot mustard powder.

Still the day before, gotta make the sausage. Pork shoulder, pork belly scrap, coriander, cumin, black pepper, fennel, ginger, cinnamon, red Szechuan peppercorns, cloves, fried chili flakes of all three types from our chili oil, milk powder, panko bread crumbs and Shaoxing wine. Making it a day ahead so that the super crispy chili flakes can hydrate, soften up, and give off their flavor/heat.

No progress shots for the duck egg, but it was soft-boiled, cooled, peeled, wrapped completely in the sausage, rolled in seasoned flour, beaten chicken eggs, panko, then fried.

I give you, Málà Spicy Scotchuan Egg, served with Korean Chili Lime Aioli, Cured Numbing Quail Egg and Roasted Sesame Broccolini with Fried Shallots.

It was good.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 26, 2020